5 replies to this topic

#1 Shouja

Shouja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:47 PM

Hi! I am trying to write my first manga right now and could use some support with answering whatever questions that may come up especially from you girls since it is a shojo manga.  I am also looking for an artist to do the art work of my manga for a fair compensation if we get it published.  Please, reply to this posting and future ones if you are interested in helping me out.  Thank you.

#2 Shouja

Shouja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:58 AM

I am wondering what the process is for getting my manga published.  Having watched several animes it seems to me that a new manga series are published in weekly or monthly magazine.  I assume this is to check out how popular it is.  If it is then the publisher produce the graphic novels.  Am I right?  Do I get paid if this is true or is it a rip off like publishing your work in american newspapers?

I am also wondering if manga and animes have to be published in Japan first and then other countries like america.  Or are they published at the same time in many countries?  I am an american that is why I am asking.

Please, let me know what you know and thank you in advance for your replies.

#3 Sasuke K

Sasuke K

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in exile.

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:12 PM

I am wondering what the process is for getting my manga published.  Having watched several animes it seems to me that a new manga series are published in weekly or monthly magazine.  I assume this is to check out how popular it is.  If it is then the publisher produce the graphic novels.  Am I right?  Do I get paid if this is true or is it a rip off like publishing your work in american newspapers?

I am also wondering if manga and animes have to be published in Japan first and then other countries like america.  Or are they published at the same time in many countries?  I am an american that is why I am asking.

I am wondering what the process is for getting my manga published. Having watched several animes it seems to me that a new manga series are published in weekly or monthly magazine. I assume this is to check out how popular it is. If it is then the publisher produce the graphic novels. Am I right? Do I get paid if this is true or is it a rip off like publishing your work in american newspapers?

I'm not sure about that. And I'm unfamiliar how you get paid, while under contract with a manga magazine company such as Shonen Jumps. In most cases, if you want to publish manga (Japanese comics), you'll have to move to Japan. However, Tokyo Pop manga house, for a while accepted foreign unsolicited works from varies artists from places such as the U.S. Although, just recently, people claimed that now TP no longer accepts submissions outside of Japan. I'm not sure that info authenticated. You'll have to visit the official TP site to get the latest and up to date info.  

I am also wondering if manga and animes have to be published in Japan first and then other countries like america. Or are they published at the same time in many countries? I am an american that is why I am asking.

Manga are mainly serialized in Japan first before gets imported over seas, vice versa with anime. Although the only way you can publish manga without serialized through Japan is to self publish your work someplace like on amazon. That's what I see American mangaka do.

Edited by Sasuke K, 01 June 2016 - 03:14 PM.

8519a27d-5f08-4790-abd9-e67910047477.jpg

Dark Souls random clip for season 1 of GoM: The Legend Begins.

Full Image 

#4 Negative Syndicate

Negative Syndicate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Planet Earth......

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:58 PM

Having watched several animes it seems to me that a new manga series are published in weekly or monthly magazine.  I assume this is to check out how popular it is.  If it is then the publisher produce the graphic novels.  Am I right?

Firstly, the series need to be serialize in the manga magazine. Then, the publisher will get offer from the anime studio to do the anime for the series. But, this can be take couple of years depend on the anime studio's interest on the series or the popularity of series.

Do I get paid if this is true or is it a rip off like publishing your work in american newspapers?

Mangaka gets money by 3 ways: 1) the manuscript fee, like  4000 yen for each page; 2) the royalties from the volume sale, manga gets 10% of the volume sale (for example a volume cost 400 yen, then mangaka going to get 40 yen for one volume sale), and; 3) the royalties from media mix (like anime) or the merchandise (like toys and video games).

The manga will always publish in Japan first, then it'll be distributed to the oversea. However, there is an exception, but this exception only occurs by the work from very well known author (like Ohba/Obata pair).

#5 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:21 AM

@Shouja The Manga Discussion Forum is, as its name implies, only for discussion about manga. 

I merged both of your threads because your second thread was also about your own art. 

And actually, for an art thread, you can post a few pictures of what you do :)

50c34dd1-274c-4550-9d6d-d6edce927b63_zps

#6 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,629 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:54 AM

Have you read Bakuman? It's very informative!

the manuscript fee, like 4000 yen for each page

In Bakuman they said it would be much higher, like 10k, then 15k for color page or something. Is that wrong or it changed since then?

the royalties from the volume sale, manga gets 10% of the volume sale (for example a volume cost 400 yen, then mangaka going to get 40 yen for one volume sale)

That's really high percentage...normally the royalty is based on net price, I think.

the royalties from media mix (like anime) or the merchandise (like toys and video games).

What's the royalty percentage for those, usually?

Edited by Fulmine, 03 June 2016 - 06:53 AM.

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users