Photo

Yu Yu Hakusho

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Raiden

Raiden

World Champion :3

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

yuyu.jpg

Finished manga. You can read it here

Plot Summary: Yusuke Urameshi was a tough teen delinquent until one selfless act changed his life...by ending it. When he died saving a little kid from a speeding car, the afterlife didn't know what to do with him, so it gave him a second chance at life. Now, Yusuke is a ghost with a mission, performing good deeds at the behest of Botan, the ferrywoman of the River Styx, and Koenma, the pacifier-sucking judge of the dead. However, no one expects a sudden act of heroism on his part: he dies trying to save a little boy from a speeding car. In fact, when he arrives in the afterlife, he is informed that no one was expecting him to die that way, and were not prepared for his arrival. After numerous tests to gauge his worth, Yusuke is eventually revived, and is assigned to work for the Spirit Realm as a detective investigating demonic cases in the human world. He comes into spiritual abilities of his own, and enlists the help of numerous friends from Reikai (spirit world), Makai (demon world, translated in the English manga as the Demon Plane) and Ningenkai (human world) to aid him in his cases as they fight off demons and humans seeking to rule over all three worlds.

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

9958384cd25b54e19f67b0e862a0d3b6.jpg

Spoiler

#2 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Bleach reminds me of this in some bits. But anyway I found a nice fandub that is pretty funny imo  I been keeping up with it since episode 1.

#3 Raiden

Raiden

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Bleach is such a huge Rip-off of YYH it hurts me (especially since bleach is sooooo much worse than YYH)

Spoiler

#4 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Bleach is such a huge Rip-off of YYH it hurts me (especially since bleach is sooooo much worse than YYH)

Yea Bleach does have a lot of similarity with YYH. Especially the full-bring arc.

Edited by Jack, 23 December 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#5 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

The make a wish foundation line was pretty funny. Rest of the fandub was meh.

I loved this manga and the anime as a kid and I still do, but I kinda feel this manga would have been a lot better without turning everything into a tournament.

Posted Image

Don't look at it directly

#6 Raiden

Raiden

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

The make a wish foundation line was pretty funny. Rest of the fandub was meh.

I loved this manga and the anime as a kid and I still do, but I kinda feel this manga would have been a lot better without turning everything into a tournament.

what? no way! the tournament arc was one of the best in the manga! A tournament arc is always nice in action manga :3 and YYH did an especially good job with it's tournament.

Oh wait you mean the tournament at the end? xD well that was still kinda good solution for the end of the manga, imo. (well we haven't seen much of that tournament anyway)

Spoiler

#7 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

what? no way! the tournament arc was one of the best in the manga! A tournament arc is always nice in action manga :3 and YYH did an especially good job with it's tournament.

Oh wait you mean the tournament at the end? xD well that was still kinda good solution for the end of the manga, imo. (well we haven't seen much of that tournament anyway)

Togashi is a great mangaka but if you look at all the tournaments in HxH and YYH its clear he uses tournaments too much.

Also there was a tournament type thing to become Genkai's apprentice. I thought the Toguro tournament was great and the last was resolved pretty well. But at the same time the last was disappointing because it was rushed so much (yes I know it was ended purposely by Togashi).

I just meant looking back at his manga it is very clear that Togashi uses tournaments a lot. Too much even.

Posted Image

#8 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,866 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

I think the "worst" part of YYH was the beginning of the Sensui arc. The new characters were boring and the emo kid was a bit much.

Spoiler

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#9 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

I rather liked the chapter black arc. But then again a lot of people like the tourney saga.

For its time it was a good manga. And as a kid I fell in love with YYH.

I have mixed feelings about the three kings saga tho.

#10 Ajh77

Ajh77

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Yu Yu Hakusho was solid all the way up to the ending.  I was just left confused thinking, "Umm......Ok?".

pq1sg.jpg

Sajin Komamura - "I won't tell you not to hate me. I won't tell you not to bear a grudge against me. All I ask is that you don't sacrifice yourself for the sake of revenge. If you were to do that, and I were to lose you, like you lost your friend, it would break my heart."

Tousen Kaname - "...Thank you...Komamura."

#11 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

I always hated how demons were supposedly brain washed to do evil acts by King Enma. That part felt really lame and forced.

Posted Image

#12 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Yea the ending pretty much felt rushed.

Edited by Jack, 23 December 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#13 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

how is Bleach a ripoff?

Better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees

HUSBANDOS :wub:  

#14 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

I think there is a lot of similarity like Sensui and Ginjou and they may use a lot of the same shounen tropes but a calling Bleach a ripoff of it is a whole different animal.

Posted Image

#15 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Yea Ginjou's death reminded me of Sensui. Much like how Ichigo came back to soul society to reclaim Ginjou's body to bury in the human world, and how Itsuki didn't want Sensui to be buried under spirit realms ideals, that he disliked.

I rather liked that tho.

#16 Raiden

Raiden

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

how is Bleach a ripoff?

if you read both you should see the huge amount of similarities. (and since YYH is older than Bleach, bleach is the rip-off)

Spoiler

#17 De Facto

De Facto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

I would have to agree that this manga relied quite heavily on tournaments to tell its story, but honestly, as a battle manga, I can't hold that against it too much. A tournament is just a convenient means to have a variety of different enemies to fight and no real reason for it to happen except for "well, that's just how the brackets were drawn." It was certainly a repetitive trend, and definitely not the most creative, but for the characters and the plot elements utilized in YYH, it still worked. Still, it would have been much more interesting were the whole "Spirit Detective" title more literal - to watch a kid have to solve cases involving the paranomral without always relying on his fists would have more potential than "HERE'S OUR ENEMY OF THE MONTH, FIND HIM, FIGHT HIM, AND DEFEAT HIM." Alas, that's just not how the pieces fell into place. But at least all of the fangirls will always have Kurama to fantasize about.

#18 Rashugun

Rashugun

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Phahahahahahahahhaha. :)

While Yu Yu Hakusho was a completely random shounen where everything just happened randomly and the guy that was supposed to disappear after his first appearance became a main character just because of popularity, Bleach has not only a blazillion-times-better-art, but also far more developed characters, far more complex world, far more depth in the relationships of the characters, far more foreshadowing, and far more symbolism. And far more pretty much everything.

Notice how I'm not saying Bleach is the best or even close to it. But do notice how I laugh at you for saying it's worse than that random BS that YYH was.*

*I'm a major HxH fan, so don't think I hate randomly. But YYH managed to be a great disappointment, and by no means is even comparable to the "oh so much worse Bleach". 

6474505L.gif

#19 De Facto

De Facto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

Bleach has its own vices to deal with (such as lazy art and an utter incompetency when it comes to time progression and general storytelling, at least for the latter half of its existence), but I will agree that Bleach is the better series between it and YYH. Similarities aside, all that really matters is which has the better series, not who came first with what concept.

#20 Raiden

Raiden

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Phahahahahahahahhaha. :)

While Yu Yu Hakusho was a completely random shounen where everything just happened randomly and the guy that was supposed to disappear after his first appearance became a main character just because of popularity, Bleach has not only a blazillion-times-better-art, but also far more developed characters, far more complex world, far more depth in the relationships of the characters, far more foreshadowing, and far more symbolism. And far more pretty much everything.

Notice how I'm not saying Bleach is the best or even close to it. But do notice how I laugh at you for saying it's worse than that random BS that YYH was.*

*I'm a major HxH fan, so don't think I hate randomly. But YYH managed to be a great disappointment, and by no means is even comparable to the "oh so much worse Bleach". 

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: 

please stop! please! your killing me with that hilarious comment  :lolxg:

developed characters really? Like Ichigio the half human-shinigmai-hollow-quincy-super sayjian-cyborg-fishman  xD  or Lolpachi and his awesome developed character  :rly:  Or maybe Byakuya the I-will-never-die-no-matter-how-much-I-almost-die who is the same since his first introduction in the SS arc.

While in YYH all the main cast (Yusuke, Kurama and to a lesser extent Hiei and Kuwabara) got developed quite well and even some of the minor characters like Keiko got their fair share of development, but of course not all characters but the qualityo f development and the amount is higher than in bleach.

hm now the world. There is Karakura Town, which is ONE city in the human world and a pretty generic one on top of that, then there is Soul Society which never got that much shown aside from the area in front of where the Gotei 13 are and the inside area which looks almost like Karakura town and lastly we have Hueco Mundo, which is a plain white space with one big castle in it, OH WHAT A COMPLEX WORLD BLEACH HAS  :hurr:

Depth in the relationships of the characters like the Ichigo-Orihime-rukia trriangle that never goes anywhere or the randomly popping up relationship between Lolpachi and Unohana, which can be summed up with we get orgasms that let us pass out from fighting each other. The only relationship that was explored with some depth is the one of Gin and Rangiku, that was alright but else I don't see how that is much better than in Yu Yu Hakusho, which portrays nicely the relationship between Yusuke and Genkai and also Kurama and Yomi and Yusuke and Keiko and Yusuke and Kuwabara

So Bleach had foreshadowing? Like what? That Ichigo's mother was a quincy? That was aas good forshadowed as Tobi being Obito in Naruto. That aside it's true that YYH hadn't really any foreshadowing, though it is already quite some time ago since I read the manga so maybe I don#t just remembe them, though to say that bleach has far more foreshadowing is ridiculous (while it has more it's not by far).

Oh yeah symbolism? There is so much in bleach right and none in YYH. Right I don't look that much into symbolism but I'm pretty sure that Bleach has not more symbolism than YYH, if then they have around the same sybolism (sicne their concept is very similar that also seems natural).

So no bleach is not better than YYH and especially not by far. But of course that is all a matter of taste ^^ (I enjoyed YYH far far more than I enjoy Bleach)

Spoiler