• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rocconorth

rocconorth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:37 AM

I was surprised the Fairy Tail forum on this site lacked this entitled thread, but whatever, I'll do the honors.  Anyway, calling "manga" just a Japanese version of "cartoons" really doesn't tell the whole story.  With that being said, I know there are multiple layers of criteria that separate the two, but even at the chance that I'll be called a pervert, degenerate, etc...I'll point this out.

Of course we all realize that one thing that separates manga from most Western cartoons is the more overt sexualization of characters (especially females).  With that being said, most would just chalk that up to drawing boobs exaggeratedly big or putting the characters in more sexually charged situations.  All that is true, but there's subtleties that are of a more subconscious nature.  

27ydlw.jpg

Anyway, it's not like I never noticed this, but the above image just grabbed my attention (both for the topic at hand and for the obvious prurient reasons which I'm not apologizing for...).  Sure Erza and Lucy (especially) are drawn to accentuate their sexuality, and while I can't say a Western (mainstream) "cartoon", doesn't sometimes do the same (see Jessica Rabbit), mangaka just put that extra "effort" (let's just say) into it.  What I mean is while a "cartoon" may show a version of a sexy girl (big tits, curvy figure, etc) the mangaka (even in not an overtly ecchi story) will go that "extra" mile.  The subtle shading to accentuate the shadow cast by the bottom of Lucy's breasts or the specific detail paid to all the beautiful twists and turns of Erza's ass are just something you wouldn't see in a Western cartoon that wasn't specifically drawn for that reason.  Finally, I'll spare the details, but a "cartoon" that got this specific in trying to this accurately draw the details of Lucy's body, let's just say from the right of her dangling keys, would be headline news here in the States and most likely promptly removed from the airwaves!   Just to be clear, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this...I'm just pointing out the differences in culture and medium.  In fact, I think the Japanese are a more enlightened in not denying human nature...and reality for that matter.  Anyway, I won't say I'm not a pervert (maybe I am) but I thought this was just a good example of why anime/manga girls tend to seem more realistic and beautiful/sexy.   :meh:

*Not to mention that smiling "squid" type thing leering at Lucy looks awfully like a happy schlong for that matter...but I digress...*  ;)

Edited by rocconorth, 11 July 2016 - 07:49 AM.

6acf83134634515.jpg

Highschool of the Dead...you know you love it!

#2 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts
  • LocationBetween life and death.

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:38 PM

I was surprised the Fairy Tail forum on this site lacked this entitled thread, but whatever, I'll do the honors.  Anyway, calling "manga" just a Japanese version of "cartoons" really doesn't tell the whole story.  With that being said, I know there are multiple layers of criteria that separate the two, but even at the chance that I'll be called a pervert, degenerate, etc...I'll point this out.

Of course we all realize that one thing that separates manga from most Western cartoons is the more overt sexualization of characters (especially females).  With that being said, most would just chalk that up to drawing boobs exaggeratedly big or putting the characters in more sexually charged situations.  All that is true, but there's subtleties that are of a more subconscious nature.  

http://oi65.tinypic.com/27ydlw.jpg...

Anyway, it's not like I never noticed this, but the above image just grabbed my attention (both for the topic at hand and for the obvious prurient reasons which I'm not apologizing for...).  Sure Erza and Lucy (especially) are drawn to accentuate their sexuality, and while I can't say a Western (mainstream) "cartoon", doesn't sometimes do the same (see Jessica Rabbit), mangaka just put that extra "effort" (let's just say) into it.  What I mean is while a "cartoon" may show a version of a sexy girl (big tits, curvy figure, etc) the mangaka (even in not an overtly ecchi story) will go that "extra" mile.  The subtle shading to accentuate the shadow cast by the bottom of Lucy's breasts or the specific detail paid to all the beautiful twists and turns of Erza's ass are just something you wouldn't see in a Western cartoon that wasn't specifically drawn for that reason.  Finally, I'll spare the details, but a "cartoon" that got this specific in trying to this accurately draw the details of Lucy's body, let's just say from the right of her dangling keys, would be headline news here in the States and most likely promptly removed from the airwaves!   Just to be clear, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this...I'm just pointing out the differences in culture and medium.  In fact, I think the Japanese are a more enlightened in not denying human nature...and reality for that matter.  Anyway, I won't say I'm not a pervert (maybe I am) but I thought this was just a good example of why anime/manga girls tend to seem more realistic and beautiful/sexy.   :meh:

*Not to mention that smiling "squid" type thing leering at Lucy looks awfully like a happy schlong for that matter...but I digress...*  ;)

You don't have to be PC, i'll just say it cause it doesn't bother me at all, Lucy's detailed camel toe! 

As for the drawing of Lucy and Erza, they are both drawn very well as Mashima understands drawing on curves (lines of body action) very well and how they will create an interesting and attractive pose.

It's one of the things you learn when trying to draw attractive/interesting poses.

As for the curves i was talking about. Lucy's starts at the middle of her right leg and travels to her navel then to her left breast and finally ends between her eyes. Erza's line is simple, starts at the right leg following her back and ends at her hair tie.

Side note: I don't understand why some people get very offended by the human body. Of course, being an artist i study the nude human figure to understand human anatomy, so maybe i am a bit used to it.  :shrug:

• Blue22 likes this

#3 Lauri

Lauri

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:08 AM

Why is this thread called "Things you may not have noticed" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I mean the only hidden things this manga has to offer are the vaginas mentioned above and future nipples? Not sure if they been in he manga yet.

Like August or whatever shooting at Mira was only done so she could fondle herself.

Not that Im complaining but I just dont see what could be the important hidden things :lolxg:

• Frankenstein likes this

#4 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:11 AM

If someone didn't notice how sexualized Fairy Tail is, they're under the age of 10. It's get-slapped-in-the-face obvious in this one, Mashima doesn't even try to be cool about it.

#5 pyrogenic

pyrogenic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

Different culture.

And where did you get that RoccoNorth nick, huh?

#6 rocconorth

rocconorth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:42 AM

You don't have to be PC, i'll just say it cause it doesn't bother me at all, Lucy's detailed camel toe! 

As for the drawing of Lucy and Erza, they are both drawn very well as Mashima understands drawing on curves (lines of body action) very well and how they will create an interesting and attractive pose.

It's one of the things you learn when trying to draw attractive/interesting poses.

As for the curves i was talking about. Lucy's starts at the middle of her right leg and travels to her navel then to her left breast and finally ends between her eyes. Erza's line is simple, starts at the right leg following her back and ends at her hair tie.

Side note: I don't understand why some people get very offended by the human body. Of course, being an artist i study the nude human figure to understand human anatomy, so maybe i am a bit used to it.  :shrug:

I agree that the mention of this shouldn't be PC, but in today's society it probably is..thus my ambiguous way of pointing out that Lucy's lips are prominent.  

Why is this thread called "Things you may not have noticed" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I mean the only hidden things this manga has to offer are the vaginas mentioned above and future nipples? Not sure if they been in he manga yet.

Like August or whatever shooting at Mira was only done so she could fondle herself.

Not that Im complaining but I just dont see what could be the important hidden things :lolxg:

Fair enough, I'm just responding to the literalness of what people, who complain about fanservice and such, will never mention.  Bottom line, in appears (fake for the most part as I see it) that a lot of people are bothered by the fact that a lot of mangaka draw females in the anatomically, accurate way.  They're so takin a back by a someone who will actually draw the subtle contours of the female body because it so makes them confront the little perversions that they swore they'd castrated from themselves...

If someone didn't notice how sexualized Fairy Tail is, they're under the age of 10. It's get-slapped-in-the-face obvious in this one, Mashima doesn't even try to be cool about it.

No, he's cool about it.  He draws really sexy women.

Different culture.

And where did you get that RoccoNorth nick, huh?

It's an inside joke...that wouldn't be understood unless you were in the inside of my friends.  With that being said, the sexual nature of the topic at hand is somewhat in the ballpark of its genesis...

Edited by rocconorth, 15 July 2016 - 03:45 AM.

6acf83134634515.jpg

#7 pyrogenic

pyrogenic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:19 AM

Sure, PeterSiffredi.
  • rocconorth likes this

#8 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

I don't think most people here care too much about fan service so long as it's either "tasteful", in character, or doesn't distract from the plot. There's also a difference between sjw levels of reacting, and otaku body pillows of loving boobs.
  • pyrogenic likes this

#9 Fenrix

Fenrix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:50 PM

that a lot of people are bothered by the fact that a lot of mangaka draw females in the anatomically, accurate way.

I'm not sure about the bolded part. Can you clarify a bit about what you mean  :^_^:

Do you mind if I ask what gender do you identify with/ how do you identify yourself as? 

IMO, perceptions of what we see can sometimes be influenced by our own gender. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like most of the people who actively comment in the FT thread are males/identify with being male. So, your perception of the female body is different from how I view it as a female. For the most part, the women in FT are are no accurate/realistic depiction of real women. 

Edited by Fenrix, 15 July 2016 - 02:01 PM.

#10 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

No, he's cool about it.  He draws really sexy women.

Sexy? That's a stretch. I don't think he's ever seen a real boob.

#11 rocconorth

rocconorth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:17 AM

Sure, PeterSiffredi.

Well done!  What can I say but I'm surprised...respect.

Edited by rocconorth, 17 July 2016 - 03:21 AM.

6acf83134634515.jpg

#12 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts
  • LocationBetween life and death.

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:34 PM

Hiro Mashima? he has a wife and kids.

I do wonder what his wife and kids think of his sometimes over the top fan service.

#13 Strobacaxi

Strobacaxi

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

He has but many people who read his story haven't

• JDG973, Blue22, Kirito and 1 other like this

tumblr_mg4t7olJvZ1s2x1ggo1_500.png

#14 Druddigon'

Druddigon'

Mage

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationMaison Carree'

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:30 PM

Hiro Mashima? he has a wife and kids.

I do wonder what his wife and kids think of his sometimes over the top fan service.

Probably leads to some awkward conversations on wedding anniversaries and valentines day. 

BxzghA.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users