• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

#281 Groundking

Groundking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

I just found out from one of the blog posts that SIU confirmed there would be special exams on other Floors that let prominent Regulars to go up faster. But yeah, even with that I think ToG will still be very long. Not that I mind, really. Hopefully SIU would use that time wisely to improve his writing. As of now I think ToG is only at entertaining level but not quite good writing level.

I don't know, I think the writing is good, there's a lot of stuff going on and constantly there's things that's fed into the story and built up up until a pay off, like this Hell Floor arc is going to be. I do think he needs to slow Bam's growth a touch though, it's getting ridiculous, he pretty much owns everybody now at this 'floor level'. The underlying themes of the webtoon are fantastic.

Edited by Groundking, 10 January 2017 - 11:57 AM.

• Luffy_PK likes this

#282 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,867 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

Well he has the equivalent of a Floor-destroying nuke. So yeah, Baam's power level needs to stay stagnant for a bit. Work on some skills, some inner spiritual control or something.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#283 Luffy_PK

Luffy_PK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

Yeah I agree, his shinsu control is at a crazy point at the moment. He has been getting non stop power ups over the past few arcs so I guess the Floor of Death should be where they really get put on display. Although considering that this is where they found Bams thorn fragment, I think it's likely that he'll get another MAJOR power up at the end of this arc, by gaining another fragment. Either way, I think the world-building and general premise are brilliant.
  • DarkNemesis likes this

#284 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,867 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

Wangnan getting the other piece of the Thorn would be interesting. Especially if he sides with Karaka.

Why does Karaka hate Baam (or wants him dead) again? Is it just because of the Thorn?

• JDG973 likes this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#285 Luffy_PK

Luffy_PK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

I'm guessing it's because he sees him as a threat. Although it's also partially because they feel he's too soft I think. I can't remember exactly. But I know that the FUG Elders are split about Bam. Grace Mirchea Luslec and Jinsung Ha etc support Bam, whilst Karakas faction represents the opposing side. Not sure how the other Slayers feel....

#286 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,626 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:55 AM

I don't know, I think the writing is good, there's a lot of stuff going on and constantly there's things that's fed into the story and built up up until a pay off, like this Hell Floor arc is going to be.

Oh, it's good. But I mean good good. Like One Piece good or higher like FMA good. Basically ToG's current writing doesn't do its world-building and potential justice. It's like giving A+ ingredients to a normal chef and if his skills are acceptable the dish would be good, but not 3-star Michellin by any means and the ingredients should become 3-star Michellin dish. Hope that comparison helps.

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#287 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,867 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

The beginning of season 2 dragged a bit. But it certainly has picked up story-wise since then.

Spoiler

#288 Urek Mazino

Urek Mazino

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:07 AM

S2Ch233: http://www.webtoons....&episode_no=314

• tewwo likes this

pfpgm7o.png

Spoiler For future reference

Spoiler If Milareppa/Episteme were OP fans :P (posts by Eric Ester Burgos & Jae Johnson & Two Cents @ http://mangastream.com/blog/28#comment-1216310802)

Spoiler The answer to life, the universe and everything

#289 Red Haired Shanks

Red Haired Shanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:34 AM

Oh, it's good. But I mean good good. Like One Piece good or higher like FMA good. Basically ToG's current writing doesn't do its world-building and potential justice. It's like giving A+ ingredients to a normal chef and if his skills are acceptable the dish would be good, but not 3-star Michellin by any means and the ingredients should become 3-star Michellin dish. Hope that comparison helps.

I kind of agree. I see ToG as the One Piece of Korea.

Both authors try to create a vast universe, a vast magical world full of wonders, with a great number of characters and different layers, but they can't quite deliver.

And to a point I can't blame them totally for that. You have to be a really special talent to pull something like that off.

I like their ambition and this is what make both comics so appealing and popular, but on the other hand this makes their short comings magnified.

I find both comics mediocre to be honest. And not only story telling wise.

The complete inability of SIU and ODA to make good fight scenes is appalling.

And damn it, to get better at this can't be that difficult!

• JDG973 likes this

#290 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,867 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:53 PM

ToG is good in my opinion. Not the greatest thing ever, but good. Plus, the fights are well done. What fights are you (@Red Haired Shanks) and @Fulmine thinking of when it comes to good (or even great) fight scenes?

Spoiler

#291 Kaidou

Kaidou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:31 PM

World Building, Story and Characters > fighting

Thats why i don't consider One Piece "mediocre". ToG has its other problems like the pacing(OP is guilty of this aswell but not as bad) but i still enjoy ToG abit, just prefer if it focused less on Baam and his constant powerups, feels like is leaving the other characters behind( Rak :(  ).

Edited by Kaidou, Yesterday, 08:31 PM.

#292 Red Haired Shanks

Red Haired Shanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:43 PM

ToG is good in my opinion. Not the greatest thing ever, but good. Plus, the fights are well done. What fights are you (@Red Haired Shanks) and @Fulmine thinking of when it comes to good (or even great) fight scenes?

Noblesse, to name one of your favourites has pretty decent fight scenes for example.

A little bit repetitive these days, but you can clearly see the moves of the opponents and the physical action is well demonstrated.

Speed, agility, physical attacks. Of course many times you'll have the opponents drawn still  in one panel and by drawing many lines you will imply that they have exchanged a barrage of attacks,

like some panels in Frankenstein's fight with that Blond werewolf, or you'll see some swordsman pulling off an attack with a weird name

that would have some weird shape (dragon, or water stream for example) now and then, but in those two comics this is how fights are drawn 90% of the time.

Can you call the fight between Karaka and Yuri good? Or the fights of Baam? There are only a couple  of fight scenes I have liked.

Like the ones in the first arc where he was reintroduced as Viole. Or the first fight ever of Anak's team.

My golden standard for great fight scenes is Battle Angel Alita!

Vinland Saga, Berserk, or even less battle oriented mangas like Parasyte are also very good at that front.

Of course the same goes without saying for the majority of martial arts mangas.

But there are even fantasy action mangas not very dissimilar to One Piece and ToG that have tremendously inspired and creative fight scenes.

I am talking about JoJo's Bizarre Adventures.

World Building, Story and Characters > fighting

Thats why i don't consider One Piece "mediocre". ToG has its other problems like the pacing(OP is guilty of this aswell but not as bad) but i still enjoy ToG abit, just prefer if it focused less on Baam and his constant powerups, feels like is leaving the other characters behind( Rak :(  ).

I agree but you can have both and there are manga that have both.

I mentioned a couple of them above.

Also the characters and storytelling are mediocre, you can even call them bad, in both ToG and OP.

I just like some of them, like Sanji or Shanks, or Baam and I also like many bits and parts of both manga, be it arcs, scenes, or ideas.

Skypiea arc for example is one of my favourites because I like the dream-like sky world Oda created.

I like both comics, but can't rate them high, when there are manga that can stand equally with real literature and have the vibe of art-house films.

Edited by Red Haired Shanks, Yesterday, 08:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users