Sotto Voce

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVenTech Tower

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:20 PM

tumblr_oe4nmus3iW1vu2kovo1_1280.png

So. Do people still care about Air Gear? Would anyone be interested in a roleplay based in that universe?

Suppose you as RPers will each play an upcoming storm rider, starting your own gang of riders, building team relationships, forming rivalries, rising through the ranks through parts wars, developing your own roads and finding your place in the sky. I have some ideas for how I would run it, if anyone would want this!

[[ NOTE: I want this to be friendly and accessible to people who haven’t watched the show (although, it’s only 25 episodes, if you have the time!), so I’m going to simplify in-universe mythos. I’m going to write up a summary if there’s any interest in this, but for now I recommend you guys just watch the first episode. The whole show is up on Funimation’s YouTube, dubbed and subbed, for free! ]]

Characters/Teams:

-Every character will start out as a newbie and rank up over the course of the game. I don’t want anyone to have super prowess in the first couple months of the RP; your characters should succeed through cunning and resourcefulness, not just athleticism.

-Character relationships will be HUGE in this!!! I’m going to group your characters into teams (1 big team or two intimate ones, depending on how much interest we get; I’d really prefer to have two rival teams though.) The RP is going to start with a recruitment arc filled with character building. This isn’t just an action RP.

-High ranking characters will be created and played by the GMs, but I think we can all agree that literally nobody aside from the GMs care about NPCs’ personal stories, so they’re not going to play a big part until after your characters are higher ranking. The Kings are going to show up minimally in the first 5-10 arcs, and they’re mostly going to be there to talk about your characters, maybe say something to inspire them or spark a rivalry, then leave. The NPCs and story of this RP are going to revolve around YOUR CHARACTERS and their development, rather than the inverse.

-There’s 8 primary roads, plus a lot of custom/combined roads. I’m going to ask that we have as little overlap of roads as possible. I want every character to be unique. Roads and tricks probably won’t come into play until after the first big arc, so don’t fret on picking or claiming one yet.

Setting/Universe:
-Takes place like 20 minutes into the future. Some fictional urban wasteland with a massive class divide and a lot of gang violence, to be named.
-I haven’t decided if this story would take place in America or Japan yet. You guys can feel free to give input. I think putting it in America would be a little more interesting than repeating the same setting. 

-I want to have a slightly more realistic universe. It's not Air Gear without the ridiculous Rule of Cool science, but I'm going to say no Gravity Children or time travel via roller skates. 

Gameplay:

-There’s going to be an equal balance of training/team-building exercises and Parts Wars between updates. 

-Parts Wars will be player teams vs teams of NPCs, each NPC custom designed to contrast your characters. Admins will control NPCs in updates.

-From the start, characters will be allowed two “tricks”/practiced moves and a very basic stats system (probably something like “speed, power, endurance, stamina, trick;” trick being something you pour stats in to earn new abilities). More stat points will be distributed after after each part war. Also, in the show some characters have inherent physiological abilities like special eyesight or overactive adrenaline, so I might also include one or two special advantages for each character (ex. contortionist body, numbness to pain, etc.). They’ll be super nerfed for the beginning, though.

-There’s going to be timeskips, so we can jump in the development in your characters abilities without y'all having to write seven posts about them practicing the same move.

-Winning or losing parts wars will rank you up and/or earn you more stat points. Sometimes losing will earn you more stats. Still coming up with a fair system for how it’s calculated, but I want to reward writers when they’re realistic.

-Tuners will come in way later. Don’t talk about tuners yet. There may be one characters who rides the Ring Road or a variant of it, but that will come into talks later in the roleplay.

Activity:

-We’ll be pretty lax on posting speed. This RP will probably run for a little under 2 years before we really get to the climax. We’ll feel it out and I might change based on how your guys work, but to start I’m going to allow around TWO WEEKS to respond to each update. Because you have that time, I’m expecting thoughtful replies. Replies should be at least 3+ paragraphs, but you’re going to have a lot to talk about in just 3 paragraphs. This is going to be heavy on characters, so I want you to write a lot about their reactions and psyche as well as their actions.

GM Stuffs:

This is going to be super ambitious and time-consuming, so I don’t want to run it alone! I will most likely recruit my roommate, who was in the original Air Gear: Ride RP on this website some seven or so years ago. (For those who weren’t here or don’t remember it, it was one of the best put together and managed roleplays I’ve ever followed, and we’re going to be taking a lot of inspiration from the admin style of that old OMF member SoulWolf.) If we get to divide the characters into two teams, she would manage one team’s updates and battles while I manage the other.

Edited by Sotto Voce, 23 October 2016 - 02:56 PM.

• Mouse likes this

#2 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationDe Moon Baby! De Moon...

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:04 PM

Well, you're someone I didn't think I would see around here ever again.  

GM Stuffs:

This is going to be super ambitious and time-consuming, so I don’t want to run it alone! I will most likely recruit my roommate, who was in the original Air Gear: Ride RP on this website some seven or so years ago. (For those who weren’t here or don’t remember it, it was one of the best put together and managed roleplays I’ve ever followed, and we’re going to be taking a lot of inspiration from the admin style of that old OMF member SoulWolf.) If we get to divide the characters into two teams, she would manage one team’s updates and battles while I manage the other.

I really appreciate the complement but you have no idea how off you are about this comment. :lolxg:   

I'm honestly interested. I liked Air Gear, mostly because of the whole "rag tag gang" idea it had going for it. Even if I disagree with the path it took it was a fun, nice, and dumb read for the most part.  

If it were me I would place it in America. That gives the RP a nice counterpart to how events might be different there compared to Japan were almost all of AG took place.  

Edited by DeSoulWolf, 27 September 2016 - 08:05 PM.

• Sotto Voce and Mouse like this

#3 RathyOro

RathyOro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDirecting armies

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:12 PM

SOTTOOOOO!!!!!

Yea, I'm also interested.

"Why would you pick a fight with me? You have no chance of winning."

9HhsmrC.jpg

#4 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:22 PM

I mean, I haven't read Air Gear (started a long time ago, but I don't remember much other than what the main characters look like), but I'm always open for new RP:s if you'd let me join despite inexperience. I have a question about AG that I somehow haven't been able to answer on the wiki; why are they fighting? I thought it was more like a sport, like skating, but duels. Do they also have super powers?

• Sotto Voce likes this

#5 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

The series started out kind of like a sports manga, however it gets more complicated later. Storm Rider teams are kind of like gangs that fight over certain objectives and some of the Part Wars (which are events that Storm Riders take part in to gain more territory, AT Parts, emblems, or even team members) involve physical combat with each other. 

However the story starts to diverge from that once you get deeper into the series and the fights go from base level brawls to batshit insane shonen battles (with an occasional Part War). The reason why these fights are happening well...that's complicated/convoluted to really explain without reading it.  

• RathyOro and Mouse like this

#6 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:55 AM

So if we were to place an RP in that universe, completely detached from the story, would there be shonen battles, or just roller skate duels?

#7 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:55 AM

Since a lot of those shonen battles involved certain characters/elements that Sotto is taking out (Gravity Child/Brain Chargers), then there would likely be more general duels. However AG relied on a lot of Pseudo-Science that even relatively normal people could pull off so depending on how far Sotto wants to go with the concept the Part Wars would still be just as insane without those elements. 

#8 Mouse

Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNot Found.

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:58 PM

[BANGING POTS AND PANS TOGETHER] 

WAKE UP EVERYBODY WAKE UP CO-GM IN THE HOUSE TO TELL YOU ALL THIS IS GOING TO FLY WHETHER WE HAVE FOUR OR FOUR HUNDRED PEOPLE.

• We're setting it in 'MURICA. In the ambiguous future/futuristic alternate universe, in a fictional industrial/cyberpunk city called Babel, New Jersey.

• We're definitely open to people who haven't read the series! We're not completely detached from the canon mythos, but we're doing a simplified version of the plot. But just.. be prepared for a bit of reading on the info pages in the thread's main post. Roads and Kings are going to be included in this RP. If you have time to watch a few episodes of the show, you'll be better off, but I wouldn't force anyone to watch it. I love it to bits but it's... kind of a trash series.

• The ridiculous pseudo-science™ is going to be present in this RP. And parts wars are going to be insane. They're roller blade duels that play out like Shonen battles.

• A big part of the fighting aspect is because Air Treks are sort of an immoral subculture. ATs are illegal, so they were adopted by scoundrels, gangs, tearaways, misfits, and the works. The ranking aspect is important; street cred is a big deal. A part of it is for sport, but there's going to be more to it. For the beginning arc, your characters would be newbies, just starting out, and they don't all have to be in it for the gang aspects. They may just be interested in flying.

• This is thinking way in advance but if more than 8 people wind up joining, we may cause some sort of conflict to break the team up into rival teams.

And I'd just like to give an honorary halo to Soul for answering all of these questions while Sotto and I were sleeping. 

• RathyOro, DeSoulWolf and Sotto Voce like this

#9 RathyOro

RathyOro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:08 PM

I'm happy this is still gonna happen.

[BANGING POTS AND PANS TOGETHER] 

WAKE UP EVERYBODY WAKE UP CO-GM IN THE HOUSE TO TELL YOU ALL THIS IS GOING TO FLY WHETHER WE HAVE FOUR OR FOUR HUNDRED PEOPLE.

• We're setting it in 'MURICA. In the ambiguous future/futuristic alternate universe, in a fictional industrial/cyberpunk city called Babel, New Jersey.

• We're definitely open to people who haven't read the series! We're not completely detached from the canon mythos, but we're doing a simplified version of the plot. But just.. be prepared for a bit of reading on the info pages in the thread's main post. Roads and Kings are going to be included in this RP. If you have time to watch a few episodes of the show, you'll be better off, but I wouldn't force anyone to watch it. I love it to bits but it's... kind of a trash series.

• The ridiculous pseudo-science™ is going to be present in this RP. And parts wars are going to be insane. They're roller blade duels that play out like Shonen battles.

• A big part of the fighting aspect is because Air Treks are sort of an immoral subculture. ATs are illegal, so they were adopted by scoundrels, gangs, tearaways, misfits, and the works. The ranking aspect is important; street cred is a big deal. A part of it is for sport, but there's going to be more to it. For the beginning arc, your characters would be newbies, just starting out, and they don't all have to be in it for the gang aspects. They may just be interested in flying.

• This is thinking way in advance but if more than 8 people wind up joining, we may cause some sort of conflict to break the team up into rival teams.

And I'd just like to give an honorary halo to Soul for answering all of these questions while Sotto and I were sleeping. 

JERSEY?!? Who wants to be from Jersey, it's all about New York  B)

• Mouse likes this

9HhsmrC.jpg

#10 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:21 PM

Yeah, glad this is getting off the ground. Kind of wish some of the old group was still around but I might be able to get someone to join if they're up for it.  

I'm from the south and Jersey/New York are about as foreign as being set in Japan would be so that gets me excited. Which got me to thinking that I'll have my character hail from the low states so this will be interesting. 

Edited by DeSoulWolf, 16 October 2016 - 10:21 PM.

#11 Mouse

Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNot Found.

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:36 PM

RATH PLEASE. NY is the most cliche setting in the universe. Jersey has attitude. And it's kind of supposed to be an urban wasteland, so the ugliest state is appropriate. But we did consider doing Washington or Pennsylvania instead and making Babel kind of a mirror image of Philly or Seattle, if that piques your interest more.

Mmm.... Or maybe we'll do New York. I mean, it's played out for a reason. But Jersey is so... dirty. Angry. Bitter. Hopeless. Can you tell I live in NY yet.

SOUL YES DO IT DO THE SOUTHERNER. In a pretty industrialized America there's probably so many places down low that are like... these bleak Southern Gothic conservative farm towns. 

&. You're still in contact with AG Ride vets?! Do you have. any idea. how much I miss Chizzy. And TK. And Traf. And Loui. And Nap. My heart

• RathyOro and DeSoulWolf like this

#12 RathyOro

RathyOro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:44 PM

RATH PLEASE. NY is the GREATEST setting in the universe. Jersey has attitude. And it's kind of supposed to be an urban wasteland, so the ugliest state is appropriate. But we did consider doing Washington or Pennsylvania instead and making Babel kind of a mirror image of Philly or Seattle, if that piques your interest more.

Mmm.... Or maybe we'll do New York. I mean, it's often used for a reason. But Jersey is so... dirty. Angry. Bitter. Hopeless. Can you tell I live in NY yet.

SOUL YES DO IT DO THE SOUTHERNER. In a pretty industrialized America there's probably so many places down low that are like... these bleak Southern Gothic conservative farm towns. 

&. You're still in contact with AG Ride vets?! Do you have. any idea. how much I miss Chizzy. And TK. And Traf. And Loui. And Nap. My heart

Fixed it.

• DeSoulWolf likes this

9HhsmrC.jpg

#13 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:03 PM

Unfortunately I haven't been in contact with anyone from the old RP. The last person I spoke with was wiggles who want under a different name here that I can't remember at the moment. He hasn't logged in in almost two years I know that for sure. 

I was going to ask an old co-worker who is into wacky/weird stuff so it's only natural I told her to read Air Gear. She loved it. 

#14 Mouse

Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNot Found.

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:23 PM

WIGGLES NOOO RETURN TO ME.

Gosh, that's so depressing. Granted, if you told me last year that I was going to rejoin OMF and sign up for a Naruto RP, I would blow something out my nose. I didn't realize how much I missed this place until Sotto brought it up. I haven't been able to find a community I liked as much as this one in ages.

Definitely ask her to join, though! It's not Air Gear without the camp, we could definitely use someone who would make a wacky character. :') Does she roleplay?

Fixed it.

ENOUGH.

...TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU TO MAKE YOUR CHARACTER ONE OF THOSE GODAWFUL PROUD NEW YORKERS THOUGH.

+++++++++++

And we're drifting off the topic of this specific RP so I'm going to try to reel us back in even though Sotto has the CS and plot draft and I really have nothing constructive to contribute but uhh....

Roads are definitely going to be a part of this. Maybe not in the very beginning, but at some point they will be. Anyone have any ideas for what road they might ride?

• Sotto Voce likes this

#15 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:34 PM

I remember one time we were talking she said she used to be in forum wide RPs so she's a vet from the sounds of it. 

I kind of have an idea of what type of character I would like to create so I'm sticking to someone who moved to Babel. I've always liked the less showcased roads so I was thinking Rumble or Rising personally. 

• Sotto Voce likes this

#16 RathyOro

RathyOro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:13 AM

*Strugglung to stay on topic*

I have always been partial to the wing and flame road personally (Kazu should have been so much more legit than the craziness that they decided to go with). And yeah making a character based on me should be easy.
  • Sotto Voce likes this

9HhsmrC.jpg

#17 Mouse

Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNot Found.

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:49 PM

I hope you're ready to FIGHT ME for Flame Road, Rath. 

Not really. I've actually been jumping back and forth between Flame, Ring, and Sonia. So that's almost half of the options, not including variants.

RUMBLE AND RISING WERE CRIMINALLY UNDERUTILIZED. Can I get a second halo for Soul. He's a gift to us.

#18 RathyOro

RathyOro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:15 PM

You might as well pick sonia, I'll pick wing and we will be the Sora and Rika of this RP.
  • Mouse likes this

9HhsmrC.jpg

#19 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:30 PM

*Strugglung to stay on topic*

I have always been partial to the wing and flame road personally (Kazu should have been so much more legit than the craziness that they decided to go with). And yeah making a character based on me should be easy.

At least Kazu had some of the better character development compared to most of the cast. Air Gear really was the Ikki, Agito, and Kazu show anyway, 

I hope you're ready to FIGHT ME for Flame Road, Rath. 

Not really. I've actually been jumping back and forth between Flame, Ring, and Sonia. So that's almost half of the options, not including variants.

RUMBLE AND RISING WERE CRIMINALLY UNDERUTILIZED. Can I get a second halo for Soul. He's a gift to us.

I was always sadden by the fact that the main team never got anyone to represent Rumble Road. (I know Ikki kind of was but he only really used it enhance his Wing Road abilities) I also wish we could of had that Nue and Gabishi clash, so we could have learned about Rising way before the very tail end of the series. 

You might as well pick sonia, I'll pick wing and we will be the Sora and Rika of this RP.

Damn, Rathy already trying to make pairings before the RP starts.  :o

I massaged my friend about joining the RP. She said she'd give it a try so we might have someone else on broad. 

Edited by DeSoulWolf, 17 October 2016 - 07:32 PM.

• RathyOro, Sotto Voce and Mouse like this

#20 Sotto Voce

Sotto Voce

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVenTech Tower

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:46 AM

I'm hoping to keep New Jersey. There's something I love about making the city a reference to some larger-than-life biblical story and then dropping it the buttmonkey of the United States.

I'm glad you guys are thinking about your characters already! As a heads-up, the setting might be a little different than what you're imagining. We're stepping up the urban wasteland aspect: this is taking place on an Earth that's been overpopulated, overpolluted, overindustrialized. The human race is slowly in the process of evacuating the Earth to settle in on a sister planet, and you're playing as a member of a social class that doesn't have the finances to leave early. You're sort of a lost generation, maybe the last 35% of humans to live on this planet. The people left behind are the criminals, the impoverished, the misfits, the scum at the bottom of the barrel, and there's a pretty bitter atmosphere all around. Babel is one of the most populous cities left in America, and that's where the AT subculture is skyrocketing.

As a second heads-up: we might wait a couple weeks to set this up. Gonna hold off until the other RPs that are being developed right now are up and running. We still have some kinks to work out of the plotline, anyway!

But for now, we have:

Soul

Rathy

Mouse

Sotto

Soul's coworker (potentially)

Hyou (potentially)

A friend of mine (potentially) (granted she probably won't join because she's not a huge anime fan but it would be nice)

And this is still just a concept thread. I feel pretty good about this. Even if it's just the four of us, we could bend the rules to make 4 riders the minimum for a team. 

Thanks so much for interest, dudes!!!

Edited by Sotto Voce, 23 October 2016 - 09:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users