30 replies to this topic

#21 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:34 PM

I could try to join this, but juggling three RP's (one of which I DM) along with all my other hobbies and work, it might be hard. I'd really appreciate a quick rundown of all the roads. I've read a little on the wiki and I want to read at least a bit of the manga, but it's hard finding the time between other stuff. Definitely would join this rather because of the interactions and drama over the AT duels.

#22 RathyOro

RathyOro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDirecting armies

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:59 PM

How indepth of a rundown do you want? The fastest I can give is

Wing Road: Wind King/Queen, a road that uses the wind to do ridiculous tricks. Purest Road

FlameRoad: Flame King/Queen, a speed road, you go so fast you can cause the allusion of producing flames, and with enough skill control time.

Bloody Road: Fang Kick/Queen, a vicious road that carves its path in the body of others.

Over Road: Rumble King/Queen, using the windmill theory, it produces powerful walls of air with compressed wind.

Rising Road: Thunder King/Queen, an offensive road that uses electricity and magnetism. Can create a magnetic field.

Gaia Road: Gem King/Queen, a road that makes use of the ground, good for offense and defense.

Sonia Road: Thorn Queen/King, a highly defensive (more offensive to me) road that relies a lot on hip movement. Focuses primarily on agility, the road with the most maneuverability. The price of this road is the stress it puts on one's body

That is probably the most basic explanation I can give. I can go more in depth though if you want.

At least Kazu had some of the better character development compared to most of the cast. Air Gear really was the Ikki, Agito, and Kazu show anyway, 

I was always sadden by the fact that the main team never got anyone to represent Rumble Road. (I know Ikki kind of was but he only really used it enhance his Wing Road abilities) I also wish we could of had that Nue and Gabishi clash, so we could have learned about Rising way before the very tail end of the series. 

Damn, Rathy already trying to make pairings before the RP starts:o

I massaged my friend about joining the RP. She said she'd give it a try so we might have someone else on broad. 

That is so painfully true.

It's funny because I was thinking more of this! But we will see where the rp takes us.

• Sotto Voce and Mouse like this

"Why would you pick a fight with me? You have no chance of winning."

9HhsmrC.jpg

#23 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationDe Moon Baby! De Moon...

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:44 PM

It's funny because I was thinking more of this! But we will see where the rp takes us.

Pictures is to small to see my friend. 

I'm hoping to keep New Jersey. There's something I love about making the city a reference to some larger-than-life biblical story and then dropping it somewhere in America's buttmonkey state.

I'm glad you guys are thinking about your characters already! As a heads-up, the setting might be a little different than what you're imagining. We're stepping up the urban wasteland aspect: this is taking place on an Earth that's been overpopulated, overpolluted, overindustrialized. The human race is slowly in the process of evacuating the Earth to settle in on a sister planet, and you're playing as a member of a social class that doesn't have the finances to leave early. You're sort of a lost generation, maybe the last 35% of humans to live on this planet. The people left behind are the criminals, the impoverished, the misfits, the scum at the bottom of the barrel, and there's a pretty bitter atmosphere all around. Babel is one of the most populous cities left in America, and that's where the AT subculture is skyrocketing.

As a second heads-up: we might wait a couple weeks to set this up. Gonna hold off until the other RPs that are being developed right now are up and running. We still have some kinks to work out of the plotline, anyway!

But for now, we have:

Soul

Rathy

Mouse

Sotto

Soul's coworker (potentially)

Hyou (potentially)

A friend of mine (potentially) (granted she probably won't join because she's not a huge anime fan but it would be nice)

And this is still just a concept thread. I feel pretty good about this. Even if it's just the four of us, we could bend the rules to make 4 riders the minimum for a team. 

Thanks so much for interest, dudes!!!

See, that's what I'm talking about. With this statement you just eliminated some of the issues I think people have with AG after the first 150 so chapters. The manga starts out with a generally modern day setting that could seem to take place in our world, just with magical skates. You've set up a much more believable world where we can take people throwing tornadoes as advancements in science more then straight up fake science .

Also my friend has her account set up and is joining so we have five peps now. 

Edited by DeSoulWolf, 18 October 2016 - 05:47 PM.

• RathyOro, Sotto Voce and Mouse like this

#24 RathyOro

RathyOro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDirecting armies

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:52 PM

Pictures is to small to see my friend. 

See, that's what I'm talking about. With this statement you just eliminated some of the issues I think people have with AG after the first 150 so chapters. The manga starts out with a generally modern day setting that could seem to take place in our world, just with magical skates. You've set up a much more believable world where we can take people throwing tornadoes as advancements in science more then straight up fake science .

Lets try this again.

• DeSoulWolf, Sotto Voce and Mouse like this

"Why would you pick a fight with me? You have no chance of winning."

9HhsmrC.jpg

#25 Mouse

Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNot Found.

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:04 PM

Aww yiss.

:party2:

Wait. Do my preschool-level maths deceive me or do we have mostly female writers right now?

I'M LIVING. 

I could try to join this, but juggling three RP's (one of which I DM) along with all my other hobbies and work, it might be hard. I'd really appreciate a quick rundown of all the roads. I've read a little on the wiki and I want to read at least a bit of the manga, but it's hard finding the time between other stuff. Definitely would join this rather because of the interactions and drama over the AT duels.

Totally understandable. Juggling three RPs was a concern of mine, too. If it helps at all, we don't plan on starting this until after the other two RPs have settled in so there's less chaos of getting into the rhythm of writing three different new characters at once. We're still working out some kinks in the plot and setting. You have plenty of time to decide what you want to do.

To make the gameplay less confusing, Roads are kind of just styles of riding, in this RP. We're dumbing them down and tweaking them to be a little simpler, at least for the beginning. Shoutout to Rath for giving those great explanations, but we're not going to get into the insane tricks like creating illusions or stopping time-- at least not within the first couple of arcs.

Also note that you can overlap styles later on! In the canon, there were crossover roads and variants. This is just to get an idea of what your character's base affinity might be. Characters can shift to a completely different road with more experience!

A Quickguide: 

Wing Road a.k.a. "Shonen Protagonist" Road

Wind/Air-based riding. Jump real real high. Sweet airtime bro.

Sonia Road a.k.a. "No Boys Allowed" Road

Maneuverability-based riding. It's In the canon, this was an all-female road because it's tailored for feminine physique (lower center of gravity, tricks based on hip movements, etc.) but we can have more progressive gender politics here.

Flame Road a.k.a. "Gotta Go Fast" Road

Speed-based riding. Tricks focus on exploiting friction.

Bloody Road a.k.a. "i wanted to be a serial killer and this was my fallback" Road

Slice/cutting-based techniques. Just really violent riding.

Ring Road a.k.a. "Hufflepuff" Road

Focuses on rhythm and noise-based techniques. In the canon, this wasn't really a style of riding and was kind of an umbrella term for glorified mechanics but we might ignore the whole "Tuners" concept in this RP. 

Rising Road a.k.a. "I'm sure you'll find this trick... SHOCKING!" Road

Focuses on magnetism and electricity in riding. We might say this is the road that focuses the most on mechanics of ATs, rather than Ring Road.

Gaia Road a.k.a. "Rocky Road" Road

Style and techniques focus on the rider's relationship to the ground.

Over Road a.k.a. "misc." Road

This road got about seven seconds of attention and nobody remembers it well enough to explain it so let's dumb it down to techniques based on air resistance / compressed air.

Alt. Title: "Soul, you can do whatever you want with this road Road"

The "Kings/Queens" Rath mentioned in his summary are the terms for the current highest ranking, active Storm Rider for each particular road.

ex. Sora was the Sky King, the Wing Road rider with the most street cred. The titles are, respectively with regards to the above list, Sky King, Thorn Queen, Flame King, Fang King, Pledge King (title subject to change in this universe), Thunder King, Gem King, Rumble King.

• RathyOro and Sotto Voce like this

#26 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

From what I could remember Over Road could also be kind of seen as the more "Rough and Tough" Road compared to the others. A lot of endurance and defensive strength for the few examples given. The problem with the manga isn't the fact there wasn't enough of them, more along the lines every time one popped up there wasn't much information given pass, "I can make walls of air." I find that funny considering it had more riders then Gaia and you ended up learning more about that one from the two sole riders in the series because they were plot important. 

Speaking of changing some aspects of Roads. Are you also thinking about switching around some of those aspects? For example, Gaia being able to literally paralyze someone never made much sense. That's seems something more along the lines of Rising. However since your AT have to hit the ground at some point, it would make more sense to paralyze them/stop them from functioning.

I might have to re-read AG. My memory is hazy and all, but I'd have to be in the mood for that. 

Edited by DeSoulWolf, 23 October 2016 - 01:26 PM.

• RathyOro and Mouse like this

#27 ScaredyBaby

ScaredyBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:59 PM

I may be down.  Can someone tell me how an Air Gear RP will work though?  Will we actually have kings/queens that aren't npcs and will we be part of several teams with other members or what?  

#28 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

I believe the aim is to have at least two teams, however if the RP doesn't get enough members (Lets say we get seven people) for that we most likely will be one big team. Kings/Queens go as far as NCPs that you might one day be able to challenge for their title.  

#29 Mouse

Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNot Found.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

From what I could remember Over Road could also be kind of seen as the more "Rough and Tough" Road compared to the others. A lot of endurance and defensive strength for the few examples given. The problem with the manga isn't the fact there wasn't enough of them, more along the lines every time one popped up there wasn't much information given pass, "I can make walls of air." I find that funny considering it had more riders then Gaia and you ended up learning more about that one from the two sole riders in the series because they were plot important. 

Speaking of changing some aspects of Roads. Are you also thinking about switching around some of those aspects? For example, Gaia being able to literally paralyze someone never made much sense. That's seems something more along the lines of Rising. However since your AT have to hit the ground at some point, it would make more sense to paralyze them/stop them from functioning.

I might have to re-read AG. My memory is hazy and all, but I'd have to be in the mood for that. 

Much better analysis. Would you mind if I put this description into the Roads info section?

You definitely don't have to reread the series! We're stripping this universe down to very basic principals and building them back up with our own ideas, maybe with some inspiration from the canon. Most of the things that didn't make sense in the series are going to be out of the picture until the team is at least C or D class. (Granted, there might be some timeskipping between ranks, so that won't take too long.)

Definitely agree that paralysis makes more sense with Rising, but if you're creative enough with the quasi-science, you can probably come up with a way for most roads to have a trick that cases paralysis. It just... won't come in until way later.

I may be down.  Can someone tell me how an Air Gear RP will work though?  Will we actually have kings/queens that aren't npcs and will we be part of several teams with other members or what?  

Hiya! Thanks for showing interest, and welcome to the RP corner!

Soul answered this question for us. Since we only have ~5 or 6 people interested in the RP right now, we'll probably make the cast one tight-knit team. If we wind up getting 4 or 5 more people over the course of the RP, we'll see if the group wants to have something drive a stake through the team (if the team gets along too well and couldn't come to any natural disagreements, maybe we'll have some NPCs who are threatened by them or even have one of the kings stir up some drama) and break the cast into two rival teams. (This is only if everyone involved likes that idea.)

But since this is a tiny community, we'll probably stay as one team, and if you want to play a character who, say, used to be a higher ranking character but their skills somehow fell from the top, or if you want someone who's directly linked to a king, you can message one of us to discuss it!

The cool thing about small groups is how much more important each individual character becomes.   :note:

• DeSoulWolf and Sotto Voce like this

#30 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:25 PM

Much better analysis. Would you mind if I put this description into the Roads info section?

You definitely don't have to reread the series! We're stripping this universe down to very basic principals and building them back up with our own ideas, maybe with some inspiration from the canon. Most of the things that didn't make sense in the series are going to be out of the picture until the team is at least C or D class. (Granted, there might be some timeskipping between ranks, so that won't take too long.)

Definitely agree that paralysis makes more sense with Rising, but if you're creative enough with the quasi-science, you can probably come up with a way for most roads to have a trick that cases paralysis. It just... won't come in until way later.

Hiya! Thanks for showing interest, and welcome to the RP corner!

Soul answered this question for us. Since we only have ~5 or 6 people interested in the RP right now, we'll probably make the cast one tight-knit team. If we wind up getting 4 or 5 more people over the course of the RP, we'll see if the group wants to have something drive a stake through the team (if the team gets along too well and couldn't come to any natural disagreements, maybe we'll have some NPCs who are threatened by them or even have one of the kings stir up some drama) and break the cast into two rival teams. (This is only if everyone involved likes that idea.)

But since this is a tiny community, we'll probably stay as one team, and if you want to play a character who, say, used to be a higher ranking character but their skills somehow fell from the top, or if you want someone who's directly linked to a king, you can message one of us to discuss it!

The cool thing about small groups is how much more important each individual character becomes.   :note:

Sure, go ahead. 

That's cool. I'm just truly interested and excited on how you two are restructuring the concept.  This will be a really fun RP, I can already tell. 

Edited by DeSoulWolf, 25 October 2016 - 06:25 PM.

• Mouse likes this

#31 ScaredyBaby

ScaredyBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:45 PM

I'm down to clown also.  Air Gear seems like a fun time! Hopefully we're going with a more sporty funtime route then scientific, world domination route.  Although, I would be down for either!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users