Photo

Superpowered RP (Hero Academia/One Punch Man style)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

Just started reading/watching Hero Academy, and while skeptic at first it actually looks like it could be good, and more than anything got me pumped for an RP of similar style. I also reminisce about the old Super Power RP we had (even got its own website!), where everyone's powers were random. I'd like to combine the two and make something cool out of it. 

Just seeing if there's any people interested before I get myself invested in it, but please come with ideas and suggestions. Should we have random abilities? And should they be from the wiki, or just from a pool of 'eligible' ones? School setting, classic super hero setting, or something new altogether (thinking of Darker Than Black, here)? A real combat system, or just winging it? Let me know.

#2 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:30 PM

I'm in. There was not so long time ago another attempt to this but it seems I was pretty much the only participant to that so a little heads up for that. However if this actually happens to catch wind under its wings I'm fine either with random quirks or our own ideas

#3 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

Would you prefer a school setting, complete marvel super heroes or something else?

#4 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:37 PM

Honestly I don't care what setting it will be as long it starts :lol:

#5 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:59 PM

Alright, cool. I'll ponder a bit about how the combat would work, but again, waiting on more people before I begin putting time and effort into it (we both remember what happened last time).

• Jekkusormi likes this

#6 RathyOro

RathyOro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationDirecting armies

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

I think I wanna join. I havent been apart if any of the other superhero rps so I think this would be good for me.

"Why would you pick a fight with me? You have no chance of winning."

9HhsmrC.jpg

#7 Sotto Voce

Sotto Voce

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVenTech Tower

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

Just started reading/watching Hero Academy, and while skeptic at first it actually looks like it could be good, and more than anything got me pumped for an RP of similar style. I also reminisce about the old Super Power RP we had (even got its own website!), where everyone's powers were random. I'd like to combine the two and make something cool out of it. 

So like. Sky High. What you're going for here is Sky High.

Nice.

As for the powers, I think it depends on what tone you're going for! Are you thinking of something colorful or serious? If superheros are commonplace in the universe, do you want it to deal with superhero politics the way shows like Jessica Jones does, or the way The Venture Bros. does? If you're expecting more playful characters, you can probably do the randomized powers or give people free reign to use the wikia, but if you're going for more of a Gotham City tone, maybe consider a pool of nerfed powers? Like, maybe less offensive capabilities and more powers like you'd usually see as defensive, like precognition or teleporting. Or maybe the powers can only be from one subcategory of the superpower wikia, like Psychic powers, etc. Something like the powers you see in Push: https://en.wikipedia..._of_superhumans ?

Or you can always go with a Suicide Squad aspect? Maybe superhumans are legally forced to lay low all of their lives and never use their powers, but then some alien threat to mankind or something happens and the government has to round them all up to fight it, and they're drafted into some kind of specialized military system to prepare.

Just my two cents: if you're going for a more serious tone, I would maybe not limit it to a high school age range to make the characters more diverse!

Edited by Sotto Voce, 14 October 2016 - 10:04 AM.

#8 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

Hi! 

I think I've seen Sky High as a kid. I thought it was a pile of garbage, so probably not what I'm going for here... It's not going to be a teen angst school drama. Not even sure if it's going to be a school setting yet. More leaning towards some kind of university or trainee program.

I definitely don't want people to get powers like 'Precognitive Vocifery' which was the first thing that came up on the wiki ('the power to speak any event into existence'). That's just ridiculous. I do like random powers, though, so if everyone would be okay with it, I'd like to just draw random powers from the wiki, veto any bullshit ones like that one, and then give the player three powers to choose from, or even five. Does that sound cool?

I think the way I'd like to do it is that powers are rare, but not unheard of. Some event happened, some people went public, but shit happened and most people with powers just lay low. They're basically an oppressed minority. Racism against superheroes. Continuing on, the RP itself could revolve around some other event that the characters wanted/needed to join up and fight.

Here's a strawpoll. I'm honestly split between a school-like setting or something else, so I'll let you guys decide and then I'll conjure up a story to the best of my abilities. Let me know if you really don't like the semi-random ability pool, either.

• Sotto Voce likes this

#9 Sotto Voce

Sotto Voce

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVenTech Tower

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

O hai dere!

I mean, it's a kid's movie. But it was super colorful and fun if you keep the target audience in mind. I was speaking more in terms of that genre of playing with superhero tropes.

My biggest concern with the semi-random ability pool is that I think most people's biographies would revole around how their power affected their life/how they use it. So maybe giving people the powers before they write the bio would be preferable? But in that case, it might just be easy to have a big pool that people can choose from. I like the randomized power idea a lot, it just makes it hard to write the character, unless they developed their powers just recently and the biography only describes their lives before obtaining them.

But 4-5 choices or a community pool to choose from sounds like the best idea to me if you go with that!

I'm torn with the setting. It mostly depends on what the other options would be. I think trainee academy is an easy way to pull the characters together, if a little cliche.

Have you ever heard of Clive Barker's Jericho? Because I was thinking about that as a source for RPG inspiration a little while ago.

Edited by Sotto Voce, 14 October 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#10 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

Oh! A Superhero RP? Count me in. I don't care what kind of setting, really. It can be a school (on a side note, I LOVED Sky High. It's one of those bad movies that you love even though you know it's not very good XD)

As for powers. I'd prefer to pick my own but if we have some kind of a pool to select from, that would be fine too.

• Raiden and Sotto Voce like this

#11 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:51 PM

Hi everyone! Four people, wow. Honestly didn't expect much. 

I was thinking I'd hit people up with their pool of powers before they start working on their character. I want the abilities to somewhat tie into the character's personality or background (let's say that's how abilities manifest), and the abilities being semi-random will thereby lead to 1. interesting characters that we might not have seen had you had an unrestricted choice in ability, and so 2. the abilities will (hopefully) be more unexpected and fun than what people might have thought of otherwise (not judging! But from my experience we usually get a lot of ice, fire and telekinesis in these kinds of RP, and that bores me to death).

I had an idea about how to do the pool of abilities to choose from. Let's say the base is 3. You also get points to disperse on physical and mental stats (nothing major, just so we know how good your character is at stuff in relation to the other people. Will help make clear what actions are in-character). You could also give up some of those points and exchange them for more ability slots, if say you weren't happy with any of those 3 abilities. This way, you could, if you really wanted, perhaps eventually get the most esteemed power, but your character will be physically frail. Maybe a nice way of balancing things out, disregarding luck? 

Let me know what you think. I'll give this another night or so before I decide on a story to use, but before that a character sheet. Let me know if anyone wants to know their pool of abilities already, no harm in that.

• Raiden likes this

#12 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationDe Moon Baby! De Moon...

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:58 PM

I'll join. I'm in a superhero mood at the moment. 

#13 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:00 PM

Great! Be sure to vote in the strawpoll, linked in post #8.

#14 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:12 PM

I kind of like the idea of more diverse ages and such so, no schools for me. I don't mind either way though since I assume this is going to have a group element anyway. 

I say roll the dice. Most supers don't get to pick their powers so lets make it as authentic as possible. 

Edited by DeSoulWolf, 14 October 2016 - 07:40 PM.

#15 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

Eh. I'd like to at least have some say in what powers we get. Though that's mostly because I already have an idea for my character :P

#16 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:41 PM

Funny as I said that I came up with an idea for a character as well.  :P

Well it doesn't have to be so absolute with one or the other. It might just be better to let us pick our own powers in the long run anyway. You can also give the people the option is they want a random power as well.  

Edited by DeSoulWolf, 14 October 2016 - 08:41 PM.

#17 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:56 PM

I'm actually gettin really into this random power thing... If I made the pool 4 abilities as a base, which you could extend into infinity by trading some (not much) of your physical prowess, and promising you that I will only remove the weird abilities and promote the cool ones, would you guys be okay with it?

Don't think up your characters too much, either! I haven't told you what world this will be in. I imagine they'd be pretty different depending on if you're gonna be some 1950's mafioso or a future military man.

• Mouse likes this

#18 DeSoulWolf

DeSoulWolf

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:03 PM

Do whatever you think fits your RP the best good sir. Its your show. 

#19 RathyOro

RathyOro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationDirecting armies

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:47 AM

I'm pretty flexible with character creation so I'm good with either. If anything th random power thing keeps the pressure of coming up with a superpower off of me, unless I wanna be Batman.  B)

"Why would you pick a fight with me? You have no chance of winning."

9HhsmrC.jpg

#20 Mouse

Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNot Found.

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:37 PM

I remember the random power RP you're talking about! Never joined it, but always thought it was a cool spin on the RP genre.

I'm actually gettin really into this random power thing... If I made the pool 4 abilities as a base, which you could extend into infinity by trading some (not much) of your physical prowess, and promising you that I will only remove the weird abilities and promote the cool ones, would you guys be okay with it?

Don't think up your characters too much, either! I haven't told you what world this will be in. I imagine they'd be pretty different depending on if you're gonna be some 1950's mafioso or a future military man.

This is a good post. I'm psyched now. Count me in.

&. The random powers idea has my vote. I trust you to pick good ones based on the cliches you called out.

The extending pool almost seems unnecessary to me. Four's a pretty generous number to choose from. If there's any serious problem the RPer could just contact you about it to ask for better ones, but I think most people could think of something to do when you have 4 different routes.

• Raiden likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users