Photo

Superpowered RP (Hero Academia/One Punch Man style)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Raiden

Raiden

World Champion :3

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • LocationAt the Top of the Football World

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:06 AM

PS. SASQUATCH PHYSIOLOGY THO RAIDEN. DUDE. WHY WOULD YOU PASS UP THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE A LIVING URBAN LEGEND. YOUR CHARACTER COULD BE SUCH A JACKASS.

Because a Sasquatch isn't sexy as I am  :charm:

• RathyOro likes this

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

Zoro_02.png

Spoiler

#62 Sotto Voce

Sotto Voce

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVenTech Tower

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:40 AM

Right now, my plan is to just give you guys a couple stats (like perception, strength, agility, intelligence) to cement your characters' abilities. For example, if something shifty is going on, the person with the highest perception score should be the one to notice something is going on. It's just to make it easier to compare people. I was pondering whether to give out points in a pool (where you divide among stats however you want) or from a scale (where you can give yourself how many points you want). The first way is more logical and how we usually do it — if you're all students, you should be pretty equal, just better at different things. But the other way is interesting too; if we have Mr. Equal, with 5 in every stat, fight against Mr. Balanced, who has 10 in every stat, we know they've both divided their points equally, but we also know how strong they are in comparison to each other. If we chose from a pool, they would both appear to be as strong. If we make an RP in a more chaotic setting, like in a prison, we might not want every character to be equal. Let me know what you think. We could also achieve this effect by giving people the option of spending less stat points in order to evolve their power or something like that — but in that case, people are still equal. Now some people just have more powerful powers than others while being physically weaker (which, since it's random, is already the case).

I love this bolded section. 

Maybe you could have Specialties/Advantages and Weakness sections? It would make it easier for you as the GM to come up with situations in the RP where even the underdogs were invaluable, or to challenge the big dogs.

I also think weaknesses tend to be the most interesting parts of a character.

Because a Sasquatch isn't sexy as I am  :charm:

Spoiler

Edited by Sotto Voce, 21 October 2016 - 12:50 PM.

#63 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:00 PM

@SottoVoce
About the water power: do you want to just be able to force water to change states (i.e density manipulation, no freezing ice, just hard water) or do you want to handle it more like 'being able to change the temperature of water'. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same thing.
  • Sotto Voce likes this

#64 Sotto Voce

Sotto Voce

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVenTech Tower

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:17 PM

That's a very good question. I wasn't even thinking about that first application. I was just thinking of squirting water into the air and making it rain down like hail, turning bodies of water into thick ice, making water sublime to cause a mist, etc.

Is it cool if I get back to you on this after the plot is revealed? I think my decision might change depending on the nature of these characters, how modern the setting is, etc.

I still have my eye on accelerated perception, too. Would that count for being super Sherlock-level observant, too?

#65 RathyOro

RathyOro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDirecting armies

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:06 PM

RATHYORO

Solar Attacks

Location Swapping

Liquid Mimicry

Toy Manipulation

These take so much longer than I thought. Must've sifted through over 200 powers at this point, yours took 20 minutes. We've got some winners and some losers here. Solar Attacks basically means you can shoot lasers and stuff, pretty regular Shonen power, but you need to gather energy from the sun. That's pretty nifty. Location Swapping is also pretty cool, but we've got to implement some sort of regulation there, or else you'd switch the place of the sun and the moon and the RP would be over. Liquid Mimicry; you can turn into slime (which you can control, of course). More interesting than the other two, but less flashy or combat-oriented (not necessarily a bad thing). Toy Manipulation is the most intriguing to me. You could be a kid that just wants to have friends, and thusly they've got all kinds of dolls and toys that they've brought to life (I'd add life creation to that power to make it interesting).

@Blue22

Tell me about what you're thinking about, power-wise. I'll post a CS tomorrow, but I've got to go to sleep now. No more power dealings today!

So with Solar Attacks I can pretty much be this rps superman potentially.

Location swapping is as nice as it sounds

It's funny because Sotto links the guy from Sky high but my mind immediately went here

And Toy Manipulation has so many possibilities, I'll probably wait for the setting before I commit but just letting you know character creation has begun.

"Why would you pick a fight with me? You have no chance of winning."

9HhsmrC.jpg

#66 Sotto Voce

Sotto Voce

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVenTech Tower

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:23 PM

I thought location swapping was just teleporting or switching places with somebody else, but after clicking the super-wikia link and seeing their showcase example...

that's some cosmic horror right there.

That might be the most insane power dealt out so far, alongside Love Aura and Storm Embodiment. (Seriously, can we talk more about Love Aura? If you're clever enough with this, you can pull off some Kilgrave-scale monstrosities.)

It's funny because Sotto links the guy from Sky high but my mind immediately went here

I can't believe I've never heard of Jessica Alba's big break.

Edited by Sotto Voce, 22 October 2016 - 01:26 PM.

• RathyOro likes this

#67 Mouse

Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNot Found.

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

Wait.

I'm really vibing with Storm Embodiment and High Empowerment so I have to ask...

Can I overlap powers? I mean, like, could I say that my only has control over her power when she's under the influence of maybe weed or alcohol?

I don't know what the tone of this RP is going to be like, but I've been thinking about having a kinda tragic character whose powers are directly linked to a mental illness, or make them a blatant allusion to BPD or depression or something in that vein. Kinda has to self-medicate to keep herself from turning into a big black storm cloud in the subway.

Is that too heavy?

Edited by Mouse, 23 October 2016 - 01:25 PM.

• RathyOro likes this

#68 ScaredyBaby

ScaredyBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:30 PM

Wait.

I'm really vibing with Storm Embodiment and High Empowerment so I have to ask...

Can I overlap powers? I mean, like, could I say that my only has control over her power when she's under the influence of maybe weed or alcohol?

I don't know what the tone of this RP is going to be like, but I've been thinking about having a kinda tragic character whose powers are directly linked to a mental illness, or make them a blatant allusion to BPD or depression or something in that vein. Kinda has to self-medicate to keep herself from turning into a big black storm cloud in the subway.

Is that too heavy?

From what I understand, this rp is going to be more dark.  For instance someone mentioned a prison setting, and the GM seems to like the idea of different ailments for people, so I'm gonna assume this is fine.

• Sotto Voce likes this

#69 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:52 AM

I'm back now. Making finishing touches.

@SottoVoce

The power is just 'being able to respond at superhuman speeds'. Your intelligence is up to you. Your character basically just exists in perpetual slow-motion, where their own body is slow too. Pretty haunting, actually (depending on how you go about it). You'll get some mental stats that you can pour points into for describing your intelligence and perception. I'm still on the fence about how stat points should work.

@Mouse

That's fine. Powers like ___ empowerment only say how they get their power, not what it is. You can absolutely say that your power, Storm Embodiment, is stronger or weaker if you're medicated. That doesn't have to constitute as another power, though, it's just your creative liberty, that I encourage everyone to make use of. You don't have to have only what it says on the tin.

@ScaredyBaby

Yeah, the set-up i'm going for right now is pretty dark. 

Just so everyone knows, my plan right now is for this RP to have a relatively short run. That means, that if we ever make it that far (never happened before, but alas), this RP will end. It won't just go on for as long as people are interested. If and when it comes to the conclusion, we can make new characters in a completely different setting (in the same world). That way, you don't have to fret about your powers not being ideal or not liking the premise. I'll try to make it snappy and we can move onto a different story, like in tabletop RP's. Does that sound cool?

Edited by Hyouzou, 24 October 2016 - 05:55 AM.

• Raiden, RathyOro, Sotto Voce and 1 other like this

#70 Sotto Voce

Sotto Voce

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVenTech Tower

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:52 AM

Thank you!! That definitely gives me something to think about. And it means my character would see their own body moving in slow motion too, right?

I love the sound of an RP that ends! I don't think I've ever seen the end of an OMF RP, now that I think about it. I love stories that actually accomplish the goal. But I don't think you'll have to worry so much about interest running short. I'm pretty invested in this roleplay already, and I don't even know the plot.

Making a stat category for intelligence is always rough, because I think a character's wit and resourcefulness is kind of more defined by the writer's posts. If a character comes up with a good plan in-game you can't really message them to say, "uh, sorry, you actually don't have enough intelligence points for your character to say something like that," you know? Unless intelligence is just used to define academic intelligence and retainment of information.

#71 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

@SottoVoce

Thanks for the inspiring words. Yes, your character won't be super fast. They'd be a strictly human person, who can react and think (and let's say move their eyes or something to that extent, too) at blistering speeds. Your biggest hurdle would be covering up the disparity between the power of your mind and the limits of your body.

About interest running short; most RP:s start out like this one. People posting twice a day, super excited. After the RP goes up though, in a month or two people just bow out due to circumstances or boredom. I just hope it won't happen before the story has gotten to its climax. 

I'm also cutting the story down to lessen the burden on myself; If I want to make an RP that has the potential of running for a year, I get too ambitious. I try to introduce people that won't be relevant until the next arc, and I put in references to the overall plot and the state of the world. For example, in my One Piece RP, I had already mapped out the entire Marines, Shichibukai (or what had replaced it) and the major pirate powers. None of this came up in the RP. It was just 'wasted' time. Time I don't really have right now. So i'm trying to involve you guys in creating the world, I will just introduce the atmosphere, some key players, and this one story (one that will connect to the rest of the world, but I don't have to dive into anything beyond).

About intelligence, I agree. These stats won't be directly correlated to what your character can do. It's much more just a way to easily realize their strengths and weaknesses, without analyzing all of their posts or relying on (sometimes) spotty personality descriptions. It mainly helps me decide who I'm pinning decisions on, or how to rank you guys. So if, at one point, people are arm-wrestling, we can easily decide who should be the winner — bar any creative roleplaying in the posts. As of right now, this is how I've made the stats:

Strength: Physical muscle power. 

Agility: Flexibility and speed.

Endurance: How long they can repeat exhausting tasks.

Knowledge: How much they know about stuff in the world.

Perception: How observant they are.

Charisma: How persuasive and how good a rhetoric they are.

They're split up between mental and physical stats, so you can also easily discern if the character is more brains than brute, or vice versa. I also kinda wanna add Willpower, which would decide how resilient you are against fear or mental punishment (which might be very important), but I don't want to make it uneven, haha....

If your character had a lot of Knowledge, yours would be the one I would supply with information first. If they didn't, I wouldn't reveal much to you and you would probably (assuming you will play your character the same way you place points) play as if you didn't understand much about the world, know the names of politicians, etc. Perception decides who I'm going to point out some strange fenomenons to, and might also be used for determining reaction speed, if that ever comes up. Charisma would decide if I would let NPC:s be fooled by your lies, or persuaded to do things in your favor. Very low charisma would probably mean everyone hates you, or that you're ugly. 
  The physical stats are kind of the same way. If you have low Endurance (or Resilience), you're frail and probably sick. If you have high, I'll let your character continue doing stuff a lot longer than others without letting you know they're getting exhausted (notice how I'm playing this more like a tabletop RP?). Exhausted people, if they continue on (through Willpower, perhaps?), will be more susceptible to making mistakes and failing tasks. I have probably already explained Strength plenty. Agility is more or less just how fast you can run. It's not very important, but I don't think using strength+endurance (for muscle power in the legs and how long they can run for) instead is good: there are plenty people who are strong as hell, but can't run well because they're very heavy and large.

So I don't think these will hinder how you write your posts (the physical ones will, but they are decided by you, and ultimately necessary to prevent people acting like super heroes — which you are not). These will only decide how will act, and I think they're fun. If they turn out to be a pain or unnecessary, we can just remove them mid-RP.

• Jekkusormi and Mouse like this

#72 ScaredyBaby

ScaredyBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:59 PM

About intelligence, I agree. These stats won't be directly correlated to what your character can do. It's much more just a way to easily realize their strengths and weaknesses, without analyzing all of their posts or relying on (sometimes) spotty personality descriptions. It mainly helps me decide who I'm pinning decisions on, or how to rank you guys. So if, at one point, people are arm-wrestling, we can easily decide who should be the winner — bar any creative roleplaying in the posts. As of right now, this is how I've made the stats:

Strength: Physical muscle power. 
Agility: Flexibility and speed.
Endurance: How long they can repeat exhausting tasks.

Knowledge: How much they know about stuff in the world.
Perception: How observant they are.
Charisma: How persuasive and how good a rhetoric they are.

I think you might want to make a stat based around your power, or just generally stats about your power.  

#73 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

@ScaredyBaby

But that conflicts with what Sotto said, which I agree on. Making stats about your power limits your creativity. It's also very hard to implement. Where would you rate someone who could turn invisible at will, but only for 15 minutes? Low, because he has a limit? Or high, because he can do it at will? Or high, because invisibility is very good? I'm giving you all freedom when describing your power, so putting points on it would be very difficult, and not really applicable. Your characters probably won't develop their powers very much, either, so those points won't change.

• Sotto Voce likes this

#74 Mouse

Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNot Found.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:55 PM

(...) So i'm trying to involve you guys in creating the world, I will just introduce the atmosphere, some key players, and this one story.

(...) It mainly helps me decide who I'm pinning decisions on, or how to rank you guys. 

(...)

They're split up between mental and physical stats, so you can also easily discern if the character is more brains than brute, or vice versa. I also kinda wanna add Willpower, which would decide how resilient you are against fear or mental punishment (which might be very important), but I don't want to make it uneven, haha....

If your character had a lot of Knowledge, yours would be the one I would supply with information first. If they didn't, I wouldn't reveal much to you and you would probably (assuming you will play your character the same way you place points) play as if you didn't understand much about the world, know the names of politicians, etc. Perception decides who I'm going to point out some strange fenomenons to, and might also be used for determining reaction speed, if that ever comes up. Charisma would decide if I would let NPC:s be fooled by your lies, or persuaded to do things in your favor. Very low charisma would probably mean everyone hates you, or that you're ugly. 

(...)

to prevent people acting like super heroes — which you are not

I love where this is going.

It sounds like this is going to be really character driven, which I love. I've never played tabletop games before, but if this GM style is common in them, I may have to start. 

If you want to have four physical and mental stats, you can separate stamina and endurance. Stamina being how much energy you have to exert before being exhaustion, endurance being pain resistance and being able to take a hit and keep moving. They're similar, but so are knowledge and perception, sort of.

Any updates on what kind of setting/plot we should keep in mind while we're coming up with ideas for our characters, Hyouzou? Or should we wait until the OOC is up so we don't spoil the surprise?

#75 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:16 PM

@Mouse

Tabletop is a lot of just 'how many points do you have? Okay, roll this dice. Oh, a 20. That plus all your strength, endurance and your skill in shooting bows, minus the orc's strength, endurance, armor rating and their skill in not dying of arrows... Okay, you shot an arrow at the orc'. The fun part is the same thing we do here, getting to do fun stuff in the imaginary world. There's a show called URealms Live, which combines the two and a lot of random fun. I tried doing that once.

I don't want to overdo it with the stats. I don't really get the stamina/endurance thing. I'll just say endurance includes mental fortitude, and strength deals more with physical fitness. I do understand what you mean about knowledge and perception. They both just handle the 'does my character understand / notice this thing?', but the way they go about it says two quite different things about your character ('very knowledgeable' vs 'very keen'. Difference between a scientist and a hunter). Separating stamina and endurance doesn't have the same impact, imo. Willpower is different from endurance, however (you could be physically fit but still very afraid, or the other way around, I guess). I'll keep thinking of a valuable physical stat.

I can tell you a little, the OOC might take a while, depending on how much free time I get this weekend. After that weekend, my girlfriend who I don't see very often comes here for fall break, so I might not be active at all that whole week. After that I should be pretty free, however. 

I'll give you this: your character is part of the oppressed part of society, and they're not afraid to reach out to the underworld for help. That's really about it. The rest is for you to decide, or to deduce from the setting, which I'd describe as 'dystopian China', i.e seemingly prosperous but deeply flawed and corrupt. 

• Sotto Voce likes this

#76 Hyouzou

Hyouzou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationFishman Island

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

NEW PUNK CITY IS UP!

Don't post in here anymore, spam up the OOC as much as you possibly can!

Edited by Hyouzou, 28 October 2016 - 03:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users