#22 wingman32x

wingman32x

Ace Attorney

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:53 PM

Ten years? Damn, time flies.

I joined in '08 I think. I am not exaggerating when I say that this community has been very important to me. So many good discussions with good people.

The best part? From what I've seen we've  done a great job keeping disagreements about the subject itself. Obviously things get heated sometimes, but this place has always seemed less volatile to me. I remember a couple of rivalries with other users. Each of us exchanging walls of text defending our chosen character or pairing. It was great.

Even though I don't really post as much as I used to, I still visit here daily and will continue to do so. Happy 10th anniversary OMF. Here's to many more.

Edited by wingman32x, 19 December 2016 - 11:54 PM.

• DaEvilWithin, retroluffy13 and YoWid like this

#23 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:53 AM

Really 10? years, time flies. 

I think I joined in 08 after reading some theory about the Sharrigan in the Naruto section.

I started OMF on July 2007. 7 months late, eh? Didn't know it was up on Dec 2006. I always thought it was even earlier.

But you joined 14 right?

You popped up around that time.

• YoWid likes this

Better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees

HUSBANDOS :wub:  

#24 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,614 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:38 AM

Eight years? Nine? Either way it's been a long time, OMF.

I remember starting off as a young teenager with an affinity for empiricism. I felt too intelligent to be tricked by authors. Internal coherency was king. Themes and character depth were less important. Slowly, I started to become more forgiving as discussions became more abstract and I started to value messages more than mechanics. Don't get me wrong: Luffy beating Enel is why Oda is a hack and Enel would run circles around Akainu any day. I still believe that. But I can appreciate the story Oda is trying to tell a lot more now.

The people here taught me that. At the very least, they gave me a reason to explore ideas I would not have before. Having statements challenged and questioned (regardless of how weak the challenges were at times) made me look deeper into the text. I do not think I would have half the understanding I do of my favorite manga if I did not need to re-read it to procure evidence every once in a while. That kind of rigorous debate has died down now, but it was fun while I lasted. 

Speaking of the fleeting, I have watched two, maybe three generations of posters come and go. People I respected, people I found hilarious, people who felt a part of the furniture around OMF. I have lost contact with a lot of them. That loss makes me a bit sad. Especially you, @PlasmaWolf. I miss you bro!

Then there are the friend circles and discourse I grew out of. Values changed. Perspectives shifted. Growing up does that to you if you do it right. I do not pine for those days, but they are irreplaceable memories. I had a lot of fun.

At the same time I've also made connections that will outlive OMF. People who for better or for worse have a role in my life. I don't say it often and I'm not sure I'd say it if it wasn't late at night in a thread full of nostalgia, but I do appreciate them.

I am not here as often as I used to be. School eats away at my free time and I can no longer engage in day-long debates. I will still be around to moderate whenever needed and post here and there, but that is about my limit. Kids have to leave their homes eventually.

If anyone ever wants to talk with me and a few older OMF people (mostly from the One Piece section), feel free to hit up our discord server: https://discord.gg/63KPYdU. You can even stay if you like.

The slow jazz playing through my headphones has me feeling a kind of way so I'll stop here. No reason to ruin the reputation of distant emotionless being I've cultivated over the last eight or nine years.

• m1hawkgsm, taichi, Sanji and 7 others like this

#25 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:28 AM

But you joined 14 right?

You popped up around that time.

You can see in my profile I joined right on the first day of 3.0 LOL.

Nah, just a few months after I found OM. But I didn't post and just read cause I was busy with another forum for wuxia novel back then. Then I made a new account cause I forgot the password of the first one and decided to post in summer of 2012.

That's why I hate it when I missed that Enel vs Akainu. I didn't pay attention to other subforums back then so basically I'm oblivious to other activities outside of the Big3 (But it can't be helped. Bleach subforum was an absolute joy in the old days so I wouldn't search for anything else LOL. I like KasraKhan the most. He tore a lot of BS apart. There was this one time he made this one guy look like joke but I don't remember who :lolxg:).

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#26 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:06 AM

@Greg is http://www.onemanga.com/ run by someone you know? or someone just took the old unused site name?

if we could put there a link to the forum, like it was with the old reader, maybe we could have some new chatty members again (or maybe just more 0post registrations.. and friendly lurkers)

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

#27 zetruz

zetruz

Fisherman

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  • Location- research lab

User's Awards

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:16 PM

Late happy birthday. :)

• m1hawkgsm, Sanji, disastrousmaster and 4 others like this

Spoiler for the quotables!

Mun364G.png

#28 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:47 PM

Happy Birrthday!

Even tho I stepped in 2016, I already feel at home on OMF and it will continue to be. 

Grow anotha 10 years OMF!

• retroluffy13, YoWid and Chillman like this

f950952123ea741862abce0a24c661b9.gif

Follow my stories!
https://onemangaforu...agger-magazine/
Grimmjagger's magazine

My Lyrics
https://onemangaforu...lust/?p=1163928

#29 Eger

Eger

The Force is with Me I am one with the Force

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationTeetering on the brink, facing the abyss...

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:01 PM

Happy Anniversary! OMF!

Thanks OMF for wasting my time on a period I needed you the most. Met some friends, have some laugh, Spam a bit, annoyed some mods and became a mod. The circle of life I guess. It was fun and hope you bring the same satisfaction you gave me to those in need. Thanks!

/Some old fool

/back to reddit

• retroluffy13 and YoWid like this

Spark Liner High OST, Dota 2 Comeback Game 2013

Posted Image

"... A hero who used a poem about himself as his spell. Even if I don't understand the meaning behind it... I will accept these words in your place."

#30 Wingman

Wingman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:10 PM

Happy Birthday OMF. Now where's the cake?

• retroluffy13, YoWid and Grimmjagger like this

joker-s-pencil-trick-o.gif

#31 Sasuke K

Sasuke K

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in exile.

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:58 AM

Ten years of mayhem and i already been there for nearly 7 years of them.

#32 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,137 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:49 AM

It all started in 2007 for me, but only the manga reader, not the forums. 

I used to be so bad in English that i decided to try reading Death Note and Naruto in English, to gain a bit of vocabulary and get used to the language. 

And I liked the website so much that I started reading manga one after the other, with the big exception of One Piece (it's only because Peleihno told me so many times to read it that I finally did years later).

Once in a while, I'd take a look for spoilers in the forums but never cared to join. 

But then, the manga reader stopped existing. And that's when I joined, not only because I didn't want to say goodbye to OM but also because I thought that writing on the forums could help me improve my English (again). 

And I stayed, met wonderful people, have quite a lot of memories and got much better in English ;)

• m1hawkgsm, DaEvilWithin, ArSoNiSt JoE and 7 others like this

#33 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

I fondly remember the times when we were roasting the kage arc of Naruto (who was in the coffin was savage) and when One Piece was still the shit.

• retroluffy13 likes this

#34 xMareBearx

xMareBearx

Poutine eater .

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationWherever my food tasting brings me

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:32 PM

Ooooh~ It really has been so long. 

I think I first made an account (that I never used on the Forums) back in 2007, but re-made one in 2008 where I got the chance to meet amazing people and built friendships that, to this day, are still going steady. I'm truly super thankful for this forum and the things it brought to me. For a long time, and still, it felt like a big family that helped me grow into a more or less proper adult woman (lol). 

I love you guys and thank you for everything <3 

#35 YoWid

YoWid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

User's Awards

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:59 PM

I joined OMF in 2014, after lurking on-and-off from around 2008.

I love this place. I lust after this place. I fucking hate this place. I''ve had some great fun, I fell in love, I got inspired, I got more creative in a right and wrong way, I got wild whereas I just totally can't IRL because lameass reasons,I hurt some people here, I've gained and lost great friends, got into beef with the admins and mods and got the receiving end of the hammer of great justice,  I cheated, I lied, I shed some tears, I got seriously tiggered whether to my own doing or otherwise, I got seriously horny and all that TMI stuff, did some skype madness, I made some scenes, and, in general, I did gazillions of grimdark and/or cringeworthy drama materials and/or lewdness that would constitute as serious sexual offense and/or harassment in some laws which, also, would be inappropriate and/or incompatible with the mental state of decent normies my age.

Thank you and sorry would never be enough to express what I feel about this place.

Just stay alive, for fuck's sake. For evermore.

Here's to the ones who got away--I might have or might have not hurt any of you, but if I do, you don't have to forgive me, just wanna say sorry for being such a grade S jackass:

@Velvetbrush @ramz91 @ Nyu @ryuzaki07 @Sloan  @ Baby_Lions

Wherever you are, whatever you do, be safe and sound and life your lives to the fullest, just come back here when y'all feel like it.

• m1hawkgsm, azer_moli, xMareBearx and 1 other like this

Spoiler Music by Gazillions

another story for another day

#36 m1hawkgsm

m1hawkgsm

Forum Mathematiquè & Reduntarian

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • LocationLand of Hobos and Ken

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:57 AM

Came to this site around early 2009 to find, like many, an escape, a new community, and something to keep me engaged during lackluster days. Started mostly a reader, a lurker, and eventually a denizen of the debate forums. Eventually made it to the OP subforum (and later other threads), found my place in stuff like the Best of the Big 3 shitfest, the scanlation debacle and subsequent closing of the reader (and my god was that a helluva ride, watching the waves of feeling from people all over!), the tournaments (Akainu vs Enel and the multi-page long posts from posters from the far corners of the forums were literally the best thing I've ever read :lolxg: ) the eventual collapse of the second site, and so much more.
Made mod friends, pissed them off more often than not, hopped into and out of friend groups, and eventually branched off on other mediums (Gchat, Skype, nowadays a weee bit of Discord), have had my share of hiatuses and prodigal returns. I've met some of you here (slept in some of your houses in places thousands of miles away from my home), dated here and even met my wife from this strange place. I've gained a bit more perspective, learned me a bitttt more empathy, and gained a fuckload of patience :lolxg:

So yeah, could say it's been a micro life journey. Thank you. :)
iKWAAhm.gif

(now, if Eebster could ever come the hell back, that'd be amazing).

Over the years I've met a lot of wonderful people, too many to name (They're all in my friends list anyway http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe...), had a lot of fun times (Bleach/Naruto/OP discussions, character battles, Best Of The Big 3 thread), had a lot of...not so fun times (Caught hella bans http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xe...) and I have no regrets.

Amen to that brotha.
Still always remember (and am proud) of posting your last tournament debate post from graveyard (tournament rules and judge wrath be damned! :lolxg: )

I remember starting off as a young teenager with an affinity for empiricism. I felt too intelligent to be tricked by authors.

"Remember"? Bruh you still think you're too smart. Get outta here :lolxg:

Internal coherency was king. Themes and character depth were less important.

You know I still have a bunch of notes from the days we had that BoB3 thread in a word document labelled "the theory of the asspull", no lie :lolxg:

Don't get me wrong: Luffy beating Enel is why Oda is a hack and Enel would run circles around Akainu any day.

:lolxg::lolxg::lolxg::lolxg:

Speaking of the fleeting, I have watched two, maybe three generations of posters come and go.

Yeah, we old.
  • zetruz, DaEvilWithin, azer_moli and 6 others like this

D9wwdJt.jpg

#37 Metal Heart

Metal Heart

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,305 posts
  • LocationCosmere

User's Awards

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:42 AM

10 years... I think I joined in 2010... remember how we used to spam up the forum games? And then the groups, which you closed twice until you just accepted that spammers were gonna spam. Good times, good times.

I'm not here much anymore, kind of lost interest in manga (meanwhile I have too many fantasy/horror books to read...), but I had some good times here and met people I'm still friends with. Thanks

• m1hawkgsm, azer_moli, disastrousmaster and 2 others like this

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

If anyone is in the mood for some Smash Bros 3DS my friend code is 1118-0339-4355.

Spoiler I am writing stuff

#38 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationVarsity. Man do I like that term.

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:48 PM

Fin

/roll credits

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  

What's next, the epilogue chapter?

This thread feels like a big old sendoff for that one long-runner. 

Even though it hasn't ended yet.

It's got the "characters do exposition about their experiences and emotions" for crying out loud.

You sentimental saps. It's only been ten years. Not even, for most of you.   :hai:

Ahh, whatever. I raise a glass, regardless. 

Spoiler

Cheers. 

• m1hawkgsm, taichi, retroluffy13 and 2 others like this

JaAjRjC.png?1

Spoiler muh outdated stuffs

#39 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Keeper of the Beasts

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:18 AM

don't lower the curtain just yet fam

6riH8ze.png

retros going viral.  and while I'm not making any promises, I'm sure this is directly related to the huge influx of new blood weve been receiving.

its a fucking big old Christmas miricle.

no matter if this is the end or not, i just want you all to knoe i love you.  this is why i did this.  

without you guys id have never had the confidence in myself to even attept this in the first place. 

and as odd as it is to say, heers to sakura haruno.  she might just save this forum.

Edited by retroluffy13, 24 December 2016 - 01:18 AM.

• m1hawkgsm, disastrousmaster and YoWid like this

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#40 Hooded Crow

Hooded Crow

Robin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts
  • LocationThe Batcave

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

Happy Birthday OMF.  :valentine: Thank you for being there since 2009 for me :ohyes:  . We literally grew up together  :choc:

:aww:  :aww:  :aww:

Merry Christmas to everyone. Keep making this community great

:rage:  :clap:   :banana:   :party2:

• taichi, azer_moli, disastrousmaster and 2 others like this

Spoiler

zfTTS4U.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users