20 replies to this topic

#1 DrBla

DrBla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

Welcome to Tales of Midgard!
You'd like a high fantasy comic with steampunk elements and an occasional reference (really not as common as the title suggests) to Norse mythology? Tales of Midgard is the webcomic for you!

Here's a brief description on what to expect:

A world of cogwheels and steam engines, magic and mysticism. A place where locomotives run across the plains and people communicate with magical items called “orbs”. Here, kingdoms flourish, peace is kept by the order of knights and mages use their talents under the guidance of the mages guild. In this land lives a young woman, Anne White, and this is her story; a story of adventure, with gallant knights, almighty wizards, war of such magnitude that have never been seen before, and peace with unimaginable prosperity and joy. In short, welcome to the story of Midgard.

From a more technical perspective Tales of Midgard is a long form webcomic. It's ongoing, and currently it's only at the very beginning of the story, so there's a lot more to come. The comic is done by two people: Liz, who does the art of the comic, and I'm the author. We update regularly, once every three weeks on Fridays, the last update was yesterday. Currently there are 4 chapters, or  in other words 97 pages. We're planning on having chapter-by-chapter updates instead of the popular page-by-page update system that's often used with webcomics. On average a chapter is (exactly) 21 pages, tho in the first volume you won't really see this, because the first chapter's a lot longer than the average. The exactly 21 page/chapter average is only important for a single reason: every 10 chapters form a book/volume and the volumes are planned out to be print friendly, while single chapters are not. We currently don't really plan on having a print version, but having the option is nice. From a technical point of view I'd say it has some traits of eastern manga and western comics, thereby making it an odd mix, but that's a far too deep rabbit hole for me to dive into...

And for those who are actually interested after all this, here are a few pictures (large images ahead):

Spoiler Full page images ahead

Hope you'll like reading it as much as I like writing it. I'd also like to hear you opinion on it (likes and dislikes as well) and the reason why you felt that way. Have fun reading!

• diezdragon, Sasuke K, thekindmoose and 1 other like this

#2 Sasuke K

Sasuke K

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in exile.

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

Crap your story is very familiar to my webnovel in both title (Guardians of Midgard) and both heroines have red hair and similar armor.

Spoiler

Well, I read it when I come home from work.

8519a27d-5f08-4790-abd9-e67910047477.jpg

Dark Souls random clip for season 1 of GoM: The Legend Begins.

Full Image 

#3 DrBla

DrBla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

Crap your story is very familiar to my webnovel in both title (Guardians of Midgard) and both heroines have red hair and similar armor.

Well, I read it when I come home from work.

They do sound and look similar. I don't suppose the two actually have much in common, but  now I'm really curious. Where can I read your webnovel?

#4 Saya

Saya

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationHigher than your eyes

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

Wow! this is awesome, I just read chapter 1 but once I get to the ongoing part, I will give you a review! :)

#5 DrBla

DrBla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

Wow! this is awesome, I just read chapter 1 but once I get to the ongoing part, I will give you a review! :)

I'm looking forward to your review! :^_^:

#6 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:49 PM

one personal complaint i have, and this is just opinion mind you, is that theres too much action to fast.  you only get to know the centeral charecter with how fast paced it starts off.  mind you:  im a huge believer in oda's writing phylosophy of:  you have to walk through the dessert to get to the oaisis.

however, in terms of counter points:  its not to expositiony, the action is top tier, and the story gets you hooked right from the get go.  i also admo=ire the fact that gender roles for your main cast seem to be reversed right off the get go with a strong female lead in place of a big macho burly man and a quiet, off to the side strategist running operations from the sidelines, similar to barbra gordans role in batmn=an.  9.2 out of 10 easily, especially when you f=don't have a big name to graft onto to get people hooked and wanting more.  had I not chosen to do a dragonball spin off id have probably written my first chapter similarly.

one minor thing:  no moral seems readily apparent at first glance, however that can easily change as the ball gets rolling

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#7 DrBla

DrBla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

one personal complaint i have, and this is just opinion mind you, is that theres too much action to fast.  you only get to know the centeral charecter with how fast paced it starts off.  mind you:  im a huge believer in oda's writing phylosophy of:  you have to walk through the dessert to get to the oaisis.

however, in terms of counter points:  its not to expositiony, the action is top tier, and the story gets you hooked right from the get go.  i also admo=ire the fact that gender roles for your main cast seem to be reversed right off the get go with a strong female lead in place of a big macho burly man and a quiet, off to the side strategist running operations from the sidelines, similar to barbra gordans role in batmn=an.  9.2 out of 10 easily, especially when you f=don't have a big name to graft onto to get people hooked and wanting more.  had I not chosen to do a dragonball spin off id have probably written my first chapter similarly.

one minor thing:  no moral seems readily apparent at first glance, however that can easily change as the ball gets rolling

First of all thanks for the feedback! I'm happy you altogether found it good. The in medias res beginning was one of the very fist ideas that came to my mind way back, after having the idea for the world, when I was thinking about an engaging opening that makes people crave for more. Not that much plot progression, but it gets one's attention. :)

A lot of things won't be as they seem in the beginning, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your perspective. What I can say for sure is, that I have a lot of story that I consider "setup", but this won't look like setup unless you know the actual end goal of the story, but that is purposefully left blank at the beginning, which is not exactly a wise thing since that's what keeps the tension up. Most character goals can be compressed into very simple statements. For example Luffy wants to be the pirate king, Naruto wants to be hokage, Superman wants to save the day (unless Injustice Gods Among Us happens... but hey, that's cool too). Since we know the end goal we can always ask the question: Will they succeed? and that inherently has something in it for us to find out. Instead of a treadmill, where you see characters work for their goals you get something different here. You'll get to explore their lives and the world they live in, which leaves the great question of their (and the story's) goals as a mystery, but you still get the immediate tension of the events happening. Is this a good idea? I donno, probably not, since most of the times people do not write stories this way, but I'm still trying it. As to how much I consider setup... Well right now I have roughly 2 years of an advantage in writing the comic compared to the art being done, which is a lot of time. This roughly translates to 1000 written comic pages, yet all of the major players have yet to appear. Now that I write it down like this, I do hope I didn't bit of more than I can chew.

Anyways, glad you liked it, and hope you're looking forward to Jan. 27, when the next chapter gets published. :)

#8 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

Most character goals can be compressed into very simple statements. For example Luffy wants to be the pirate king, Naruto wants to be hokage, Superman wants to save the day (unless Injustice Gods Among Us happens... but hey, that's cool too). Since we know the end goal we can always ask the question: Will they succeed? and that inherently has something in it for us to find out. Instead of a treadmill, where you see characters work for their goals you get something different here.

no no dude go at your own pace, whatever works for you.  be experimental, all the best works of art are.  though full disclosure, id argue that you can have both.  have you read my hero academia?  while its true that the end goal is a simple one:  become the greatest hero to ever live, its also equally true that the characters all keep you coming back for more with how interesting they are and that, over all, its the characters that bring you back week after week.  the BEST stories are always character driven as opposed to plot driven though, so feel no shame in making that the central point that brings readers back for more.  and I love how you get very little to no info about how this world works from a read of the first chapter.  it grabs intrigue right off the bat, especially with how fast paced your first chapter was.

ye dude I'm definitely excited for the next one.  keep at it, and tell your artist that she's amazing.  way better then ill probably ever be and with much more experience, for sure.

from an artistic point of view I love how thee framing style is a straight up mix of American comics and manga, with little bits of manga style art thrown in to make it all feel much heavier then it would otherwise.  personally, my art style is very simplistic for a couple reasons:  makes it easier to pump out, and it keeps things from getting so overly complicated that people cant tell what's going on from a single read through.  but I admire the effects and if I had time, it makes me want to put more effort into my backgrounds to make it more appealing.

ye dude.  this is a good work.  you're top tier understanding of how comics works will make it HIGHLY popular in no time assuming you market yourself right.

• Saya likes this

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#9 Saya

Saya

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:38 PM

I'm looking forward to your review! :^_^:

Oh since you will be putting a new chapter on the 27 I will review it that day!

If you need help with anything, I'd more than happy to help!  :)

#10 DrBla

DrBla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

no no dude go at your own pace, whatever works for you.  be experimental, all the best works of art are.  though full disclosure, id argue that you can have both.  have you read my hero academia?  while its true that the end goal is a simple one:  become the greatest hero to ever live, its also equally true that the characters all keep you coming back for more with how interesting they are and that, over all, its the characters that bring you back week after week.  the BEST stories are always character driven as opposed to plot driven though, so feel no shame in making that the central point that brings readers back for more.  and I love how you get very little to no info about how this world works from a read of the first chapter.  it grabs intrigue right off the bat, especially with how fast paced your first chapter was.

ye dude I'm definitely excited for the next one.  keep at it, and tell your artist that she's amazing.  way better then ill probably ever be and with much more experience, for sure.

from an artistic point of view I love how thee framing style is a straight up mix of American comics and manga, with little bits of manga style art thrown in to make it all feel much heavier then it would otherwise.  personally, my art style is very simplistic for a couple reasons:  makes it easier to pump out, and it keeps things from getting so overly complicated that people cant tell what's going on from a single read through.  but I admire the effects and if I had time, it makes me want to put more effort into my backgrounds to make it more appealing.

ye dude.  this is a good work.  you're top tier understanding of how comics works will make it HIGHLY popular in no time assuming you market yourself right.

I don't intend to change my original plans on the story and the storytelling style. I do have some doubt on how good it'll actually turn out, but we have to see that to know, now don't we? :)

And as for the popularity bit. I hope that's how it's gonna go down. Then again, it definitely won't be easy. I work in online marketing at my day job and I know very well how difficult it is to get anything done without a proper budget. Alas first things first, now is the time to make comics, getting them known can come afterwards.

Oh since you will be putting a new chapter on the 27 I will review it that day!

If you need help with anything, I'd more than happy to help!  :)

Asides my inability of properly following "show don't tell" I'd say I'm more or less satisfied with what I think I know about comics in general. Of course the more you know the better, that's why every review, every opinion is very much welcome. That's what helps in getting better. Tho I'm sure there are a few areas where the comic lacks so far:

• Grammar (English is a foreign language for both of us, but we're doing our best)
  • At times horribly long lines written by me
  • And the long lines resulting in problematic speech bubble placement

That being said I'm sure that with time and practice both Liz and I will get even better.

#11 Saya

Saya

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

Well I'm not good at writting so I guess at that I'll be useless...

But I sure am gonna review it ASAP!

#12 Sasuke K

Sasuke K

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in exile.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

They do sound and look similar. I don't suppose the two actually have much in common, but  now I'm really curious. Where can I read your webnovel?

I agree with pretty much Retro said. Although the illustrations of Anne is a little too inconsistent. One panel she looks female and some she looks like a man. Any other than that, the story is great.

https://royalroadl.com/fiction/9728

Never really done a great job with this first volume.

8519a27d-5f08-4790-abd9-e67910047477.jpg

Dark Souls random clip for season 1 of GoM: The Legend Begins.

Full Image 

#13 DrBla

DrBla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

I agree with pretty much Retro said. Although the illustrations of Anne is a little too inconsistent. One panel she looks female and some she looks like a man. Any other than that, the story is great.

https://royalroadl.com/fiction/9728

Never really done a great job with this first volume.

Thanks for the reply on the art. I told Liz about it.

I'm gonna check your webnovel out later, when it's not 1 am. :)

#14 Baka-Dynasty

Baka-Dynasty

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationTo infinity and beyond

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

Anything with Tales in its name is amazing so by definition your story is also amazing. Also im a bit disturbed witht eh clothing and the actual time line. Does everyone like to wear Retro stuff or something ? The clothings dont match the time line with trains and shit.

!Banana head fart man !

Selena_gomez_sig_by_litlemusa.jpg

*Knowledge can never replace friendship, i prefer to be an idiot*

Come check out my video room thread :3

http://onemangaforum...z-video-room-3/

Spoiler

#15 DrBla

DrBla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

Anything with Tales in its name is amazing so by definition your story is also amazing. Also im a bit disturbed witht eh clothing and the actual time line. Does everyone like to wear Retro stuff or something ? The clothings dont match the time line with trains and shit.

I can see why you'd find that confusing or even disturbing. The general setting is based on post industrial revolution times, more or less the Victorian age, but as it is quite noticeable there are quite a few people with clothing that do not fit there.  For example in real history there was no time period when knights in heavy plated armour and locomotives existed at the same time. While knights existed long before the age of steam power (or even before they started to apply plates or other metal pieces to protective gear), they were also present during the industrial revolution, when trains became a thing. Even after that you find knights, as a matter of fact there are several people alive today with the title of "knight". Still it's true that the armoured knight figure far predates the general setting, and you can also find some who have more modern clothes (compared to the general Victorian age theme). In time as more of the world will be explored it'll be easier to see patterns for people of different background. Who looks like a character straight out of LoTR (or insert any fantasy story here)? Who looks like a worn factory worker? Where do they come from? Why do they look like they do? Most of this does have coherent, internal logic to it, although it'll take a lot of time, and chapters, to explore this all. :)

#16 DrBla

DrBla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

The fifth chapter is done! Read it on talesofmidgard.com (or if you'd prefer you could also read it on Tapastic). Hope you'll enjoy it!

Also here's the coverpage:

Spoiler Chapter 5 - Coverpage

#17 DrBla

DrBla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:17 AM

So I know many don't read this, but I'm going to post anyways. Chapter six is done and up for everyone to read!

As a small teaser here's the coverpage of this chapter:

Spoiler Chapter 6 - Coverpage

Have fun reading!

#18 DrBla

DrBla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

Another chapter is done. 22 pages in full color! Read the seventh chapter titled Fire and Ice now!

And as always, here's the coverpage of the latest chapter behind spoilers:

Spoiler Chapter 7 - Coverpage

Have fun reading!

#19 DrBla

DrBla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

Chapter 8 is ready! If you're interested in my story read this chapter now!

And just to set the feeling of these 19 pages up a bit, the cover is here, just behind the spoilers:

Spoiler Chapter 8 - Coverpage

Have fun reading!

Edited by DrBla, 31 March 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#20 DrBla

DrBla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

3 weeks passed again, and a chapter is done again. Read the latest chapter on talesofmidgard.com now!

Spoiler Chapter 9 - Coverpage

Have fun reading!

Edited by DrBla, 22 April 2017 - 11:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users