• LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:08 PM

USjFFTj.jpg

Author: Hiro Mashima (Story + Art)

Serialization: Weekly Shonen Magazine

Publisher: Kodansha

Genre: TBA

I know it's super early, but Kodansha came out with the the release date of Mashima's new manga (June 26) the other day and just recently today, we found out that it'll be translated in 5 different languages every week, with Crunchyroll being licensed to release every chapter weekly in English once the first chapter drops which in itself is pretty awesome (+1 for the community :D)

However, the main reason why I'm making this thread now is because this key visual was also released today and right now I and a lot of other people online are just reveling in this....I always knew that Mashima was a funny guy, but can some explain to me as to why the main main character looks like the love child of Gray and Natsu lol? And also, the girl to the left of the photo looks EXACTLY the Erza, the main female character looks EXACTLY like Lucy but with a different hair color, then the dude next to her looks like Rayleigh from One Piece (First Shanks and now this LMAO) and then you cannot tell me that the girl to the back isn't Edolas Wendy :lmao:....That and I'm pretty sure the masked guy in the top left is someone I've seen before too lol

And also, I have no idea if this is in the same world as FT because why is Happy here xD I mean, if he got elevated to mascot status like Plue did then I guess that's fine but either way this is so weird lol

@azer_moli, @Chillman, @Fulmine, @Sovereign, @Blue22, @waleuska, @Graeystone, @g-dubz, @Shin, @Raiden, @masterbio, @Lucky Wolf, @Phenomiracle, @Fenrix, @Royal_King @kenkage, @YoWid, @captain kidd @KUROkami, @Negative Syndicate 

I'm gonna give this a chance regardless but man, this dude loves to rip off of himself lol

Edited by Tokoya, 29 May 2018 - 06:13 PM.

• azer_moli, Raiden, Shin and 6 others like this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#2 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,850 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is set in the FT world or not either. We heard that FT was getting a sequel or something and that Mashima was making a new series too, but I sort of feel that maybe the FT sequel is going to be a small extra epilogue that Mahsima was going to do and this new series is going to be something completely original. That is kind of the feeling I get. It is tough to tell by character designs if they are actually related to FT characters because Mashima does like referencing his old characters in his new works.

That being said I'll give it a try as I'm a big fan of his art and hopefully with a new work he doesn't get too lazy with the storytelling too fast. Still, the character designs look interesting as well.

• Tokoya and Raiden like this

#3 Fenrix

Fenrix

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:17 PM

LOL, this isn't the sequel is it? Cuz these characters look EXACTLY the same as FT, smh.

I was ok with the Gray/Musica and Sieghart/Mystogan/Jellal similarities between FT and Rave. But to have another series with carbon copies of characters?

Idk. I'll still read it because at the end of the day, Mashima can write a good story so I'll be intrigued with what he comes up with. Yet, if it's the same old thing...well, I wouldn't be missing much  :mellow:

Silver/white hair guy looks cool tho.

Edited by Fenrix, 29 May 2018 - 07:18 PM.

• Mr Love likes this

#4 Royal_King

Royal_King

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationTrinidad

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:56 PM

He probably has had the 50 versions of each character since a child. Only thing that could explain this.

• Tokoya, Raiden, masterbio and 1 other like this

HXZmyoy.jpg

A Champion of Champions may not be a Hero

#5 KUROkami

KUROkami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • LocationHyperbolic Time Chamber

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:38 PM

https://i.imgur.com/USjFFTj.jpg...

Author: Hiro Mashima (Story + Art)
Serialization: Weekly Shonen Magazine
Publisher: Kodansha
Genre: TBA

I know it's super early, but Kodansha came out with the the release date of Mashima's new manga (June 26) the other day and just recently today, we found out that it'll be translated in 5 different languages every week, with Crunchyroll being licensed to release every chapter weekly in English once the first chapter drops which in itself is pretty awesome (+1 for the community :D)

However, the main reason why I'm making this thread now is because this key visual was also released today and right now I and a lot of other people online are just reveling in this....I always knew that Mashima was a funny guy, but can some explain to me as to why the main main character looks like the love child of Gray and Natsu lol? And also, the girl to the left of the photo looks EXACTLY the Erza, the main female character looks EXACTLY like Lucy but with a different hair color, then the dude next to her looks like Rayleigh from One Piece (First Shanks and now this LMAO) and then you cannot tell me that the girl to the back isn't Edolas Wendy :lmao:....That and I'm pretty sure the masked guy in the top left is someone I've seen before too lol

And also, I have no idea if this is in the same world as FT because why is Happy here xD I mean, if he got elevated to mascot status like Plue did then I guess that's fine but either way this is so weird lol

@azer_moli, @Chillman, @Fulmine, @Sovereign, @Blue22, @waleuska, @Graeystone, @g-dubz, @Shin, @Raiden, @masterbio, @Lucky Wolf, @Phenomiracle, @Fenrix, @Royal_King @kenkage, @YoWid, @captain kidd @KUROkami, @Negative Syndicate

I'm gonna give this a chance regardless but man, this dude loves to rip off of himself lol

Bro lmao I’m looking at the pic and was sooo confused on my Rayleigh was there haha
  • Tokoya, masterbio and Mr Love like this

#6 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,163 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:49 PM

Silver/white hair guy looks cool tho.
Agreed....Looking forward to meeting him the most 
  • Royal_King likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#7 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:57 AM

He seems lazy now. I think Rave was his best work.

• Mr Love likes this

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#8 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:13 AM

At least Kubo had the same face problem in one manga.

#9 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,229 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

He seems lazy now. I think Rave was his best work.

Lazy is not the word I would use. 

Mashima has managed to released seven chapters in one month, he never takes breaks, etc. 

On the other hand, I admit he's obviously running out of imagination in terms of character designs. 

• Blue22 and Chillman like this

#10 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:17 PM

You guys never heard of Star system? Tezuka used it. Kurumada (Saint Seiya's mangaka) uses it. Basically they reuse the same character designs over and over again in different manga, but of course in different roles.

Not sure if I can count Adachi Mitsuru cause he probably didn't use the star system. I feel like that's the extent of his art LOL

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#11 masterbio

masterbio

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:35 AM

Come on! Are you bullshiting me? xD This is literally half of the FT cast :lolxg:

Yeah, so I'm also going to it a chance (even though I already know that I will lose my mind about it at some point), but I don't really have high hopes for it...

Also, still think that he should have gone for the Hentai :perv:

• Raiden likes this

#12 g-dubz

g-dubz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:11 AM

Lazy is not the word I would use. 

Mashima has managed to released seven chapters in one month, he never takes breaks, etc. 

On the other hand, I admit he's obviously running out of imagination in terms of character designs. 

Yeah I'm not sure if I would call this "lazy" either considering his work ethic. I'm guessing it may be the magazine who wanted him to make something similar to FT since these big companies only seemingly want to use the same ideas all the time.

• azer_moli likes this

5.jpg

#13 Oben

Oben

Busy

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,925 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:14 PM

Tbh, at first I thought this was just a promo where Mashima used his old characters to introduce the new ones. Now I'm not sure anymore :mellow: I wouldn't be surprised if he just used the same designs though, these have proven to be effective after all.

#14 Negative Syndicate

Negative Syndicate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,879 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Planet Earth......

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:35 PM

I have 0 interest in this series.

#15 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,850 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:16 AM

I don't really get the complains about reusing designs. I mean he did that from Rave to FT too. Most artists do that from series to series as they aren't going to change their style with drawing characters. I don't know, it doesn't bother me. I guess I've read a lot of American comics where artists basically draw all their characters the same from series to series so I'm used to it.

And I think when people call Mashima "lazy" they are referring to his storytelling, or at least I was. His problem is that he falls back on the same old formula with his arcs and it really drains the life out of the arcs I think. He can set up interesting arcs, but then it always feels like it ends the same way and it can become a chore to read over and over.

#16 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:57 AM

Whelp. Guess we now know NaLu and Gruvia didn't happen. That boy is clearly a product of....Natsay?....Gratsu?.....Nagray?

#17 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,123 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

Whelp. Guess we now know NaLu and Gruvia didn't happen. That boy is clearly a product of....Natsay?....Gratsu?.....Nagray?

I'd go with either Nagra or GraNa. 

Probably more so the latter. Since that's the name of a cheese. An the authors works tend to be rather cheesy in nature. lol

Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#18 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

I don't really get the complains about reusing designs. I mean he did that from Rave to FT too. Most artists do that from series to series as they aren't going to change their style with drawing characters. I don't know, it doesn't bother me. I guess I've read a lot of American comics where artists basically draw all their characters the same from series to series so I'm used to it.

And I think when people call Mashima "lazy" they are referring to his storytelling, or at least I was. His problem is that he falls back on the same old formula with his arcs and it really drains the life out of the arcs I think. He can set up interesting arcs, but then it always feels like it ends the same way and it can become a chore to read over and over.

Lazy? Heh, compared to the crap other mangaka's have been pulling lately (Exact Same Cliched Sh*t, Different Day), Mashima is frickin' Shakespeare. Lucy, Wendy, and Erza weren't not stereotypes and Gray and Natsu were a whole lot more entertaining/bearable then many other male leads.

Posted Image

#19 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

It's here
https://jaiminisbox....o/en/0/1/page/1
  • pyrogenic likes this

#20 pyrogenic

pyrogenic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

Yeah Hiro is a hard worker when it comes to amount of stuff he can produce and it's great about him, but when it comes to content, the story, he really can't keep his concentration even if he comes up with something great like there were many opportunities in FT to make great story, which he did cut short. But then he doesn't need to try that hard exactly because of the mentioned "Exact Same Cliched Sh*t, Different Day" that we all can see in other mass produced, derived of any ambition manga production, with boring moe sh*t and gay male characters with their forced harems (ok there are some productions that have more to them but however..), where Natsu was already "brilliant" character, as he was simply asexual and that made him to stand out lol, also the forced fanservice that was either out of context or purely comical was more enjoyable than in many other productions where the series would put them so that anyone would read it. W/e.

And the main character is no natsu or gray. It's ACNOLOGIA!

I'm sad I wasn't invited here earlier.

I'll go read stuff the now. And oh I so know I'll be reading it (after 15 pages it's already better than boruto).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users