Spoiler

#23 Fenrix

Fenrix

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

First chapter was alright. Can already tell that the nakama theme will be way more annoying that it was in FT, lol.

I'm also already getting FT (moreso Rave) vibes from this, but I do like Shiki's fighting style and the fact that this is a space adventure manga. The ending was sweet.

Mashima always carries things from his previous mangas into his new works and so I look forward to catching other references. 

Edited by Fenrix, 25 June 2018 - 11:35 AM.

• Raiden likes this

#24 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:39 AM

At least, Mashima tells us right away there's gonna be the power of friendship. We've been warned  ;)

It was a nice enough chapter. 

I didn't like the beginning at all, but then it got better. The ether powers might be an interesting system. I want to know more about it, that will make me read the rest for sure. 

The ending was nice, though it seemed a bit too forced that all of their batteries stopped at the same time... 

In any case: space, robots, dragon-spaceships and magic. He puts it all in xD This is gonna be a mess. 

• Raiden likes this

#25 Magic Man

Magic Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

I don't know what to make of this. I guess Happy is Plue is, there will be a talking cat and will always be called Happy.

So I don't know what to make Rebecca, is she a combo of Ellie and Lucy in personality. She is kind of air head like Ellie, but reacts to perverts the way Lucy does.

Well I will give this series a try.

#26 ndriana

ndriana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:29 PM

Hiro Mashima coming up with a new character: what if I put a button here.

#27 Blink22

Blink22

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

I'll be reading this for adult Wendy. I also noticed her pigtail is floating holy crap.

So Happy is just here because reasons? Why not create a new mascot character Mashima?

Hunter%252520X%252520Hunter%252520-%2525

"Next time, I'll protect you Kite"

#28 masterbio

masterbio

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:16 PM

Let's be real, Mashima isn't a bad mangaka "per se", the FT plot just got super repetitive and kinda boring, and I'm SUPER AFRAID that the same will happen to this, so I don't know if I'll be following this manga...

Having said that, it was good. I always enjoyed his art style, a lot, and also the fight scenes are very cool. And the plot seems very interesting! We have space/space-ships, robot dragons, robots in general, and a kind of magic, aether in this case. And the idea of the plot, to make friends, is something that if introduced this early as the objective, won't bother me on the long run.

But again, I can predict that Shiki and Rebecca will always have this chemistry, like Natsu and Lucy, that I know won't take anywhere. And I know he'll find his Gray/Musica BFF-rival, and the same repetitive arcs, and I'm really scared to invest time in it, only to get really frustrated by the end...

Still, it managed to produce that same happy/I-want-to-read-it-feeling that FT's 1st chapter gave me, so we'll see......

• Fenrix and YoWid like this

#29 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,138 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:25 PM

More power of friendship incoming lol oh joy xD

Either way, this was a decent start but what I really liked is how large the scope of this series can end up being since they're in space

That and I also thoroughly appreciated that Shiki isn't a carbon copy of Natsu or Gray
  • Raiden likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#30 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:04 AM

I actually really enjoyed it. I've read Rave and Fairy Tail and outside the setting Mashima doesn't really move away from what he is comfortable with. The characters feel very much in line with what we have seen before in Rave and Fairy Tail, as well as the tone and the focus on friendship. The friendship stuff can get annoying, but I kind of knew what to expect going in. Mashima always tends to draw action well and the twist ending with the robots was actually done pretty well I thought. Still, overall I think it was a good start.

So we get two new leads with this series. Shiki and Rebecca. I would say Shiki felt closer to a Natsu type than Haru but it was harder to tell with Rebecca. Sometimes she felt like Lucy but others it was Elie. So I guess she might be her own thing. Although their dynamic feels a lot closer to what Natsu and Lucy were compared to Elie and Haru like with their banter and Shiki having no idea of personal space, lol. I imagine Rebecca will have some important lineage that will be revealed later, but Shiki's power was interesting. Gravity powers are pretty rare for a main character and I can already imagine a lot that can be done with them, and gravity does fit the space theme well. Also not sure what to make of this Demon King character Shiki looks at as his grandfather, who is probably still alive despite him thinking he is dead. Seems he is the one he got his powers from.

The other thing that really impressed me about the series was the setting. I just was not expecting it to take place in space with spaceships, planets, stars and so on. I expected maybe a fantasy series with some sci fi elements like robots but having the whole of space as a setting could be fun with some fantasy stuff thrown in. We have the potential for lots of interesting tech as well. So few manga do space as a setting that this will keep me interested for a while to see it out. It does feel a bit more like Rave in its set up too. Where you have the two leads, and the mascot characters, running around together going on some adventure instead of the set up with Fairy Tail and the guild that everything in that series ran through.

My favorite parts of FT was when it was about the guild and going on quests, but Mashima struggled with continuing that for long and the guild kind of struggled to fit in sometimes. The guild kind of became too strong too as not much felt like an actual threat or rival to them. Though big worry I have is that Mashima falls back on easy, repetitive stories again like in FT. Mashima does tend to move quickly in his stories, but my hope is that he takes his time with trying to build up characters, villains, places and groups. In FT he really chewed threw them quickly, especially the villains, and they became forgotten. Maybe if he focuses on a smaller group of characters, like in Rave, he can spend more building things up.

• Fenrix, masterbio and YoWid like this

#31 pyrogenic

pyrogenic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:04 AM

https://jaiminisbox....o/en/0/2/page/1

New one is up.

I am a a big fan already. I think I missed FT or Hiro's manga in general.

He a robot? That's a twist.

I'm curious if this will get into the Big Three too.

• Fenrix, YoWid and Chillman like this

#32 Fenrix

Fenrix

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:46 AM

Lol, Mashima and his not so subtle references  :P

"Exiid"

Elcy "Crimson" 

Spoiler

Also, unlike Lucy, Rebecca is a pretty competent fighter. I forgot who mentioned it in the thread, but I do think describing Rebecca as a blend of Lucy and Ellie is pretty accurate. 

We're introduced to the Erza look alike and it seems as if she's a princess. Elcy "Crimson", lol  :rolleyes:

Let's see if she'll live up to the battle prowess of her clone. 

I'm liking the series so far and of course, Mashima is demonstrating his good work ethic by giving us so many pages for the first couple of chapters.

Edited by Fenrix, 02 July 2018 - 11:52 AM.

#33 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

Hopefully this is a blend of the good parts of FT and RM, rather than the bad.

• Raiden, Fenrix, YoWid and 1 other like this

#34 beakedbard

beakedbard

Skull Knight

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

Erza the space pirate god he loves his own designs. Still story wise this is actually more interesting than most of the new manga I've seen lately. You have me intrigued Mashima just don't turn it into the second half of Fairy Tail. The whole B-Cube thing is still kinda cringey though I'd say the same about the friendship stuff but its a Mashima manga that just comes with the territory. 

• Raiden likes this

#35 masterbio

masterbio

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

Chapter 2 and the backstory is already more bloody than FT's manga as a whole.

Still, that Happy thing hit hard man, run-over cats always get to me :(

But that transformation was awesome ;)

• Raiden likes this

#36 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:37 PM

Spoiler

E...Elise Crimson?

....Really Mashima? Really!? :lolxg:

And of course she's the armored space pirate! Because what else would she be!? XD

Edited by Blue22, 05 July 2018 - 04:38 PM.

• Raiden and masterbio like this

#37 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:21 PM

Mashima really isn't wasting any time with backstories. It was nice seeing how Rebecca and happy met and I guess we still have the mystery of how the two of them got abandoned. Also was not expecting Happy to be a robot. If you look at the one panel after Happy's accident the crazy scientist looking guy with the metal arm in the color spread was there. So I'm going to guess he was the one that gave Happy a robot body and saved him. I was wondering if he was going to be a good guy or bad guy based on his design, but I guess he will be good. I did like how Happy allows Rebecca to have some fighting power given his transformations. Maybe over the course of the series he can get upgrades and allow Rebecca to do even more.

I do agree with some that the B-Cube thing will get annoying after a while, but maybe it isn't a big part of the series. I'm hoping that the adventures guild acts more like the Hunters Association in HxH instead of how the Fairy Tail guild operated in FT. A very big organization with a lot of characters instead of the small scale club that FT was. I would like Shiki and Rebecca to not really be tied down to single location a lot and hop from place to place too.

Also not surprised to see Erza again. What Sieghart  was to Rave I feel like that is what Erza was to Fairy Tail in Mashima's eyes. Sieghart was his favorite Rave character so he reused the exact same design for FT, and I feel like Erza was his favorite in FT and he is copying her in Eden's Zero. She will probably have similar abilities too I imagine. So far this is the only character that feels/looks like an exact copy to me.

And I have no idea what to make of the giant blue lady. I was not expecting her to be anything like that from the color spread we saw, lol.

• Fenrix likes this

#38 Raiden

Raiden

That Zoro Fan Dude

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • LocationA really dark Pit...

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:48 AM

Let's be real, Mashima isn't a bad mangaka "per se"

Oh he definitively isn't. I love his Manga "Monster Soul" (imo his best one) and Monster Hunter: Orage was also quite nice. What do they have in common? they are short series! He really has a problem with long-running seires imo, but the shorter ones are actually pretty good (FT Zero was also better than the main manga ^^)

Anyway to topic: The first 2 chapters were alright, it is nice that the main trio can actually fight, but the nakama bs is already high on the horizon what I don't quite like. And it seems Erza is now an antagonist ^^ (that is if she doesnt turn to the good side later on)

• Slimcoder likes this

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

9958384cd25b54e19f67b0e862a0d3b6.jpg

Spoiler

#39 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,108 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

Checked this out. 

Meh

Nothing of interest. 

Not even the giant blue'ish big titty woman. 

So I'll pass on this. 

Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#40 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:41 AM

New chapter actually got me a lil hyped. The idea of them gathering a “crew” reminds me of OP. That’s exciting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users