• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#181 Revenant

Revenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:15 AM

I played them both I'm aware there are some differences yes, I just found it an odd statement to say that people would be upset that they made Bloodborne when most the reception I've seen for it is positive, and of the same groups usually who liked Souls. It seemed like getting upset about arcsys making Blazblue vs Guilty Gear, when they're very similar games.

Believe it or not, some people are very adamant that From is only good for doing Dark Souls. I saw many when BB was announced and even more now with Sekiro.

#182 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • LocationStanding on the bridge between Sagu and Nayug.

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:56 PM

It seems Bandai learned their lesson, after part V nearly ended the series. So they've brought back all the single player and story mode aspects with a vengeance.

#183 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:48 PM

Someone pinch me... FF VII and X 'HD Remastered' are coming to the Switch. As if 'Valkyria Chronicles 4', the new FE, and 'Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition' weren't enough to look forward to. The Switch is fast becoming the home of classic jrpgs. Then Sony's getting KH III and the (eventually) the 'FF VII Remake'. I'm gonna need more money... and time.

SquareEnix, Nintendo, SEGA, and Bandai Namco, please have mercy on my wallet. :ohyes:
  • Tokoya and Five-Tailed-Fenrir like this

#184 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:39 PM

Reviews for 'Shadow of the Tomb Raider' have mostly been positive, except for Gamespot's (which rated it a 6/10). But even the positive reviews cited control issues, such as: the floaty-ness of Lara's jump, inconsistent platforming since Lara will occasionally refuse to grab ledges in mid-leap (with footage), and inconsistent enemy AI. One review even showed it's sometimes possible to kill guards in plain sight of each other, without alerting the one who saw you do it. Thankfully, that last issue is easily fixed since the game allows you to tweak the combat, exploration, and puzzle solving aspects by choosing the higher difficulty settings.

All in all, it seems pretty solid, aside from those issues. I'll know for sure once my copy arrives in the mail.

Edited by FongShwei69, 16 September 2018 - 10:18 PM.

#185 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted Yesterday, 12:05 PM

@ZCOverload

I'm interested because it isn't another DS game. I feel like the majority of the DS3's problems stemmed from From being obligated to hash out another game in the series. No idea if that is true but that's my suspicion. (And even in spite of that, I 'd still call it good and some respects better than the others). 

A new game where they're not restricted to the DS formula has potential, imo, especially given how good BB was.

#186 Revenant

Revenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:54 PM

That's what some don't seem to understand. DS2 and 3 were contractual obligations, nothing more. BB, Dark Souls and especially Demons Souls were risks, they werent trying to bank on a big name (other than their own reputation) to drive sales. They were doing it purely for their artistic and creative impetus. BB was similar to DS in lots of ways, yes, but it wasnt because they were forced to, it was because they wanted to. This is no different. They want to do something that isn't like DS in a lot of ways now, and that's gonna drive some people off on principle, because it's new and because it's unfamiliar.

Well, I'm not saying people should be super hyped. The fact that they aren't kinda proves that this is something they're taking a risk on. They could have easily just pooped out Dark Souls 4 and probably sell much more than Sekiro will. The point is, don't downplay the game because it's too different from Dark Souls. Dark Souls had it's day, let it die.

#187 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,123 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted Yesterday, 02:54 PM

inconsistent platforming since Lara will occasionally refuse to grab ledges in mid-leap

inconsistent enemy AI

One review even showed it's sometimes possible to kill guards in plain sight of each other, without alerting the one who saw you do it.

That's nothing really new TBH. 

With the first part. It'll depend on whether it's really the controls or the player. As it can be either of.

Cause I've played the past two on PS4. The first one wasn't as bad and most of the issues was me when trying to get used to the game.

The second game (Rise of the Tomb Raider), it was kind of both. But I'd lean a little more on the controls, as at some points (especially timed events/obstacles) the controls hindered me an my attempts at moving on.

For example, when I had to crank up a platform and quickly make my way across in time to use that specifically raised platform to make it across too a new area, I'd find myself wasting a little time or ending up in the water cause the cancel button to disconnect the crank action is also the same button as the "Dodge." Thus I either had myself wasting a second of precious time doing a roll/crawl before actually trying to make my way across, or I rolled on into the water an had to try all over again. 

Then there's some times where the "Grappling Axe," doesn't want to grapple or in other cases Lara opts to use the climbing axes instead and thus I end up falling. 

:laugh:

Enemy AI was fine in the first one. Second one .... mostly fine, but there are some occasions. Like where I shot one guy in the head with a bolt action rifle, right next to his fellow enemy and he didn't react to it at all, only bothering to notice the dead comrade after he turned around an stumbled across the body to finally inspect an realize I'm there killing people. Course by the time I "allowed," him to notice. I already had a nice target on his head for the kill.  :charm:

Both games aren't perfect,as there were some flaws. More so for the second installment IMO, as the issues with the first one were minor or barely noticeable. 

Still great an fun games though. 

As for the newer one. Not thrilled about some of the issues from RotTR making a comeback. But as long as it's not a major or dominating issue, then I'm sure like RotTR that SotTR will come out overall as a good game.   

Edited by Narubi, Yesterday, 03:00 PM.

Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#188 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:46 PM

My DOA main is back: Lei Fang! I'm just hoping that KT hasn't (or won't) nerf the effectiveness of her counter-holds. That and I hope she'll still have her qipao, even if it's only available as dlc.

That's nothing really new TBH. 

With the first part. It'll depend on whether it's really the controls or the player. As it can be either of. There's some times where the "Grappling Axe," doesn't want to grapple or in other cases Lara opts to use the climbing axes instead and thus I end up falling.

It seems more like a gameplay issue from what I saw of Gamespot's review. The footage showed repeat attempts to jump and grab the same ledge. The first 2-3 times, Lara grabbed the ledge with her hand and pulled herself up, but the other two times, she reached for the ledge but didn't grab it. She flailed her arms instead and fell to her death. So I'm hoping that 'hiccup' doesn't occur too often. :shrug:

#189 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,123 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:21 PM

It seems more like a gameplay issue from what I saw of Gamespot's review. The footage showed repeat attempts to jump and grab the same ledge.

I wouldn't trust most of those these days. They seem to bullshit about things for whatever reason, intentionally make things worse then they are, or just make things bigger then they should be. 

Rather I'd say you either play it yourself, or watch somebody's play through/live stream of it. That way you know what's what and isn't. 

Cause that's what I did with the previous two games after seeing some reviewers state things that didn't match up with the actual play through's or even my own playing of the games. Yes again there are some issues at times. But not as bad as some would like to make it out as being. 

For if they were as bad as they'd like to make it out too being. Then I'd have probably blow torched the games by now.  :charm:

#190 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:56 PM

I wouldn't trust most of those these days. They seem to bullshit about things for whatever reason, intentionally make things worse then they are, or just make things bigger then they should be. 

For if they were as bad as they'd like to make it out too being. Then I'd have probably blow torched the games by now.  :charm:

Of the three reviews that I've seen, only Gamespot and Games Radar said it was any real concern. IGN's reviewer brushed it off as a minor issue, which they said wasn't enough to detract from the overall experience.

I'm not too worried about it, though. Otherwise, I wouldn't have pre-ordered it. It won't be much longer before it gets here.

#191 Royal_King

Royal_King

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationTrinidad

Posted Today, 08:55 AM

HXZmyoy.jpg

A Champion of Champions may not be a Hero

#192 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,123 posts

Posted Today, 10:37 AM

@FongShwei69 - BTW have you played the prior two games? 

If not then perhaps it'd be suggested for consideration. As SotTR is a continuation of the reboot series, and will follow along plot threads from the prior two installments. With also some occasional references. An both are available for PS4 at a cheap pricing of $20 - $30. 

• FongShwei69 likes this

#193 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted Today, 11:40 AM

@FongShwei69 - BTW have you played the prior two games? 

If not then perhaps it'd be suggested for consideration. As SotTR is a continuation of the reboot series, and will follow along plot threads from the prior two installments. With also some occasional references. An both are available for PS4 at a cheap pricing of $20 - $30.

I haven't had the chance to play them yet, since I didn't have a PS4 at the time. But amazon has them brand new for only $19 and $21 respectively (I also managed to get a new copy of 'Gravity Rush 2' for $20). I might pick up the other two TR games depending on how my experience with SoTR goes.

Edited by FongShwei69, Today, 04:46 PM.

#194 Baks

Baks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts

Posted Today, 12:51 PM

PS1 Classic announced:

https://blog.us.play...e-loaded-games/

Seems pretty swell, but I personally for one won't be getting it.

Seeing as I can already play all of my PS1 games on both my PS2 and PS3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users