545 replies to this topic

#541 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:17 PM

Downside - The plot once you start reading between the lines. One of the reason why people play video games is to get away from real life BS/political issues. . .the developers kind of forgot that little fact. . . The main cast(heroes) sometimes come off as very self-serving(except for Red XIII) and worse keeping things from Cloud(Main Character) that in hind sight they shouldn't have. I consider Cid in the original to be the worse Cid in the whole series. He was fouled mouth to the point of being verbally abusive. Hopefully they will clean him a little bit along with Barrett in terms of language.

Overall the original VII is best for all the stuff that can be done in terms of exploration and character stat building. Plot wise, it depends on how you feel about certain real life political issues.

Getting away from real life BS and political shit doesn't mean characters can't be self serving. I'm not sure where you were going with that one. You say "politics" several times but never actually state what the political problems with the game are. Because characters being dicks or having their own goals doesn't seem like the way to say "we want to get away from life's issues" when I really have no problem playing around in some fantasy world that has it's own issues. So long as they're colored enough by it's own setting that it's obvious it's a conflict *in this setting* and not a poor excuse to harp on about current events. 

iyzTKCh.jpg

“I promised, remember? I said I would save you even if it meant fighting the entire world.” “Yes…you did.”

Othinus narrowed her eye as the boy held her in his arms. She looked happy. She looked truly happy.

“But you don’t have to worry. I was already saved from the moment you said that to me.”

#542 Revenant

Revenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:56 PM

I personally think that the idea of playing games as a form of escapism is really pathetic. There's really no problem in bringing up real life issues in games or any other medium, as long as it's handled in a tasteful and fair manner. If a game brings up a political or moral issue, and if it's done well, it becomes that much more interesting to me. What's bad is when a game has an agenda. Then it's clear that the intentions of the developers aren't to just expose an idea or an argument, but to force their ideals into the player in a manipulative and cowardly manner.

I have absolutely no problem if a game or a movie makes me feel uncomfortable with it's themes and story, but it must be done in a sincere and artistic manner.

A pretty big example that comes to mind is The Last of Us. That game had a lot to say about love and humanity and society, and to me it was all done pretty tastefully. I didn't feel like the game was trying to preach to me about how bad humans are or how selfish people are, even though the main character is by all means not a very good person, but the game made me understand him and feel sympathy for him. As for the upcoming sequel, I feel they're handling it in a much less subtle and artistic manner. I feel like Naugthy Dog is up its own ass. First of all, the sequel is completely unnecessary, so already the game has to go above and beyond to justify it's existence. Secondly, it's really telling that they felt like they needed to put an elongated lesbian kiss in the trailer. I don't mind it being in the game, but a trailer is specifically edited to generate buzz and showcase the work of the developers. The face that they thought that a lesbian kiss was something to be proud of enough to put in the trailer makes me feel like they're trying to make some sort of statement. That's dissapoiting because I just though they were better than that. Again, I don't mind Ellie being a lesbian, but I don't think that showcasing Ellie's lesbianism has much to do with what TLOU should be. That's not something to be proud of. That's boring.

#543 Godpachi

Godpachi

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
  • LocationFangirlin' anywhere & everywhere

User's Awards

Posted Yesterday, 05:30 AM

Upside - Even for the first FF on CD, it was HUGE! A whole lot of side stuff to do. From upgrading Chocobos that let you go practically everywhere on the map to insane Weapon Bosses(Emerald Weapons takes A LONG, LONG TIME just to prepare for and fighting him takes 1/2 hour to full hour). Music still some of the best in the series.

Downside - The plot once you start reading between the lines. One of the reason why people play video games is to get away from real life BS/political issues. . .the developers kind of forgot that little fact. . . The main cast(heroes) sometimes come off as very self-serving(except for Red XIII) and worse keeping things from Cloud(Main Character) that in hind sight they shouldn't have. I consider Cid in the original to be the worse Cid in the whole series. He was fouled mouth to the point of being verbally abusive. Hopefully they will clean him a little bit along with Barrett in terms of language.

Overall the original VII is best for all the stuff that can be done in terms of exploration and character stat building. Plot wise, it depends on how you feel about certain real life political issues.

I totally understand the aspect of using video games to escape reality. I, unfortunately, have taken it to an extreme degree due to personal reasons, but I am very interested to experience the original story. Also, I've recently gotten into politics, so I'm all for it! :aww:

I only knew about Final Fantasy, because of Kingdom Hearts, which led me to buy and watch a FF movie. Think it was Advent Children. It's going to be great getting actual context!  :lolxg:

RIP Satan

Currently At War With Insane Soul

#544 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,312 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted Yesterday, 06:21 AM

I personally think that the idea of playing games as a form of escapism is really pathetic. There's really no problem in bringing up real life issues in games or any other medium, as long as it's handled in a tasteful and fair manner. If a game brings up a political or moral issue, and if it's done well, it becomes that much more interesting to me. What's bad is when a game has an agenda. Then it's clear that the intentions of the developers aren't to just expose an idea or an argument, but to force their ideals into the player in a manipulative and cowardly manner.

I have absolutely no problem if a game or a movie makes me feel uncomfortable with it's themes and story, but it must be done in a sincere and artistic manner.

A pretty big example that comes to mind is The Last of Us. That game had a lot to say about love and humanity and society, and to me it was all done pretty tastefully. I didn't feel like the game was trying to preach to me about how bad humans are or how selfish people are, even though the main character is by all means not a very good person, but the game made me understand him and feel sympathy for him. As for the upcoming sequel, I feel they're handling it in a much less subtle and artistic manner. I feel like Naugthy Dog is up its own ass. First of all, the sequel is completely unnecessary, so already the game has to go above and beyond to justify it's existence. Secondly, it's really telling that they felt like they needed to put an elongated lesbian kiss in the trailer. I don't mind it being in the game, but a trailer is specifically edited to generate buzz and showcase the work of the developers. The face that they thought that a lesbian kiss was something to be proud of enough to put in the trailer makes me feel like they're trying to make some sort of statement. That's dissapoiting because I just though they were better than that. Again, I don't mind Ellie being a lesbian, but I don't think that showcasing Ellie's lesbianism has much to do with what TLOU should be. That's not something to be proud of. That's boring.

I agree with you wholeheartedly but in regards to the lesbian stuff with Elie, I just thought of it as fanservice for the fans since it was debated whether or not Elie was into girls or not

Edited by Tokoya, Yesterday, 06:22 AM.

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#545 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:11 AM

Spoiler As not to spoil FF VII

Edited by Graeystone, Yesterday, 10:12 AM.

z8EE0.png

"I Am Of The Outside Looking Inward. A Perpetual Observer. A Persona Non Grata."

#546 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationStanding on the bridge between Sagu and Nayug.

Posted Yesterday, 10:46 AM

Spoiler As not to spoil FF VII

I'll try not to go too much into detail (again, trying not to spoil anything).

Spoiler

Edited by FongShwei69, Yesterday, 10:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users