751 replies to this topic

#741 Revenant

Revenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:21 PM

Dan Houser left Rockstar games.

A shame. He was definitely one of the more talented writers of the industry. Must be rich as fuck though.

#742 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Queen Shit.

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationSunset Vista

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:23 AM

apparently ea's put criterion back on need for speed. imagine having the devs that made *good* nfs games work on nfs. couldn't be EA

now if we can free raven software from the call of duty mines i'll almost have hope in my soul again

I'll clear this with no continues!

wlpOFuA.gif

#743 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts
  • LocationBetween life and death.

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:37 AM

apparently ea's put criterion back on need for speed. imagine having the devs that made *good* nfs games work on nfs. couldn't be EA

now if we can free raven software from the call of duty mines i'll almost have hope in my soul again

I would be shocked if the same people still work there, so it may not even matter.

#744 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:24 AM

Haven't seen any real 2019 numbers but 2018-

https://gamerant.com...d-company-2018/

z8EE0.png

"I Am Of The Outside Looking Inward. A Perpetual Observer. A Persona Non Grata."

#745 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts
  • LocationStanding on the bridge between Sagu and Nayug.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:28 PM

Hoo boy, I hope the rest you have a lot of free space on your PS4 harddrive, 'cuz if not, you'll need to make some. A recent article has confirmed that the digital version of the FF VII: Remake will require 100GB of storage space. Not a problem in my case, since I buy physical copies of all my games, so still have 720+ GB free.

#746 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Queen Shit.

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationSunset Vista

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:02 PM

uh chief

it's gonna need that 100gb whether you get physical or not

it needs to install

RDR2 was literally the same thing

in fact all physical PS4 games need to install and there is nil difference in storage usage. the only difference is that you don't have to download the game content over the internet and you actually need to insert the disc to play it and risk it getting damaged over time.

pluuuuuuuuuuus physical ps4 games will still need to download any patches where digital versions come with the patches pre-installed so if it's a significantly sized patch, you're still gonna have to wait after you install the game

wlpOFuA.gif

#747 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:18 PM

uh chief, it's gonna need that 100gb whether you get physical or not

it needs to install

in fact all physical PS4 games need to install and there is nil difference in storage usage. the only difference is that you don't have to download the game content over the internet and you actually need to insert the disc to play it and risk it getting damaged over time.

pluuuuuuuuuuus physical ps4 games will still need to download any patches where digital versions come with the patches pre-installed so if it's a significantly sized patch, you're still gonna have to wait after you install the game

I knew about needing to install it, but I didn't realize the difference between physical and digital was that minuscule on PS4.

Oh well, I'm still going with physical and, like I said, I've got more than enough free space for it.

#748 Revenant

Revenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:53 PM

The awful install sizes of AAA games nowdays is something the next generation promises to fix. I'm not 100% sure on how it will work, but basically the huge install sizes nowdays are mainly due to developers having to work around HDDs slow read speeds, which makes developers put in a lot of repeated content such as huge textures and whatnot to make up for it. I'm probably butchering the whole thing but the main thing is that the next gen consoles might help set the industry on the path of making the install sizes for big AAA games more bearable.

Of course, PC players might need to prioritize investing in an SSD as a result, but honestly there's very little reason not to. I bought one and installed Windows on it and it must have cut the boot times by at least 75%. Shit takes less than a minute.

#749 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:52 PM

The awful install sizes of AAA games nowdays is something the next generation promises to fix. I'm not 100% sure on how it will work, but basically the huge install sizes nowdays are mainly due to developers having to work around HDDs slow read speeds, which makes developers put in a lot of repeated content such as huge textures and whatnot to make up for it. I'm probably butchering the whole thing but the main thing is that the next gen consoles might help set the industry on the path of making the install sizes for big AAA games more bearable.

Of course, PC players might need to prioritize investing in an SSD as a result, but honestly there's very little reason not to. I bought one and installed Windows on it and it must have cut the boot times by at least 75%. Shit takes less than a minute.

Reading game files off of a disk is a lot slower than reading from a hard drive that's why console game developers have you install to the HDD. But they do repeat textures/models/sounds and many other things to save space.

From the data i have seen, SSD's have already overtaken HDD in pc's, and a good amount of HDD numbers come from mass storage backup. Now that we are talking about storage and speed.... To get an idea of transfer speeds, an HDD goes around 100mbps, SSD 450mbps, NVME-SSD 1800mbps. Now I believe the next-gen consoles will have Gen2 NVME that's rated at around 4000mbps.

Of course, ram (or DIMM) also plays a big role as all data is moved from the stable storage (HDD/SDD) to the ram when playing a game, now with a 100gb game they cannot fit it all on the ram, so when you see a loading  screen that's the HDD/SSD transferring the data to the ram to be used, that's one (of many) reason why developers want smaller/more compressed files. If your level can't fit on the ram they will be forced to add loading points throughout the level.

The upgrade to the storage speed of next-gen consoles I believe are the biggest and most important thing that many people don't think about. 

Sorry for the ramble, I quite enjoy talking about such things.  :^_^:

Edited by Tom Ace, 26 February 2020 - 08:54 PM.

#750 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:28 PM

Reading game files off of a disk is a lot slower than reading from a hard drive that's why console game developers have you install to the HDD. But they do repeat textures/models/sounds and many other things to save space.

Sure, but the trade-off is you don't have to wait as long to play it. Though I'm curious whether it works the same for game cartridges, 'cuz I pop those into the Switch and can play 'em right away.

#751 ZCOverload

ZCOverload

Queen Shit.

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationSunset Vista

User's Awards

3       2    4   

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:57 PM

Switch is kino like that. Can even delay patching it.

wlpOFuA.gif

#752 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:16 PM

Sure, but the trade-off is you don't have to wait as long to play it. Though I'm curious whether it works the same for game cartridges, 'cuz I pop those into the Switch and can play 'em right away.

Well the difference between disk and HDD would be quite large with a disk taking around four times as long, and SSD's cut the time from an HDD by half or more.

Nintendo Switch cartridges use XtraROM memory, it's not the same as SSD's Nand Flash memory as they lack a controller to save space I assume, but they are fast like an SSD. 

Edited by Tom Ace, 26 February 2020 - 11:19 PM.

• FongShwei69 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users