Photo

2018 OMCB: Quarterfinal - Group 1 - Nara Shikamaru vs Shanks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: 2018 OMCB: Quarterfinal - Group 1 - Nara Shikamaru vs Shanks (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for the character you want to advance. Winner moves on.

1. Nara Shikamaru (Naruto) (20 votes [68.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.97%

2. Shanks (One Piece) (9 votes [31.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.03%

Vote

#1 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,973 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 24 June 2018 - 07:01 PM

2018 OneManga Character Battle

Quarterfinal, Group 1

Polls will close on 7/1

***Poll 1***

I2hPjTH.png

#2 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:34 PM

Anyone who thinks shikamaru is better then shanks is insane

#3 XTR3ME

XTR3ME

Kawaii Kutie From Hawaii

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:58 AM

Guess we have Nine insane ppl in OMF.

As much as I love Shanks(my shika nom not withstanding) current events kinda leaves me on the ropes with him. He could’ve played us all and pardon my pun, jumped ship.
Posted Image

#4 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:08 AM

Will vote Shanks because latest arc makes him actually interesting.

Edited by Tale, 25 June 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#5 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

Voted for Shikamaru because I can realte to him more and we don't know enough (for my standards) of Shanks
  • Raiden likes this

17.jpg

#6 Oben

Oben

♪~

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,008 posts

User's Awards

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:42 PM

Shikamaru was one of my favorites in Naruto, and I never liked Shanks more than seeing him as a generally nice :shrug:

#7 masterbio

masterbio

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

Shanks is awesome, but we haven't seen that much from him, we consider him awesome because Oda has done a great job at hyping him.

Shikamaru on the other hand, is also awesome, but we've seen him being awesome multiple times

#8 Satoshi

Satoshi

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationBerk

User's Awards

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:31 PM

Shikamaru!! <3 He was one of my favorites back in the day. Easy choice here!

HTTYD2Satoshi_zpse95b34d5.jpg

"What d'ya think, Bud? You wanna give this a shot?"

"Toothless...it'll be fine."

Wanna know more about me? Come check out my Question Time thread! 

Spoiler Fun SoT Conversations...and Probably More Eventually

Current sig image made by: ME

#9 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:01 AM

Wow. Shikamaru the guy that didnt do anything meaningful and cool since his fight with Hidan is beating one of the 4 yonkous, one of the strongest and most hyped characters in the series, the man who tied wit the strongest swordsman, the man who has enough pull to have the leader of his enemy listen to him, a one armed badass, the man who was on the ship of the previous Pirate King and inspired the future pirate king. I do not understand you people. People really think shikamaru is kool? Sure he is smart and came in clutch a few times but I never considered him a top tier character by any means. Hell if this was rock lee instead even if i dont agree I would understand cause he has a huge following. But shikamaru?? He’s jus as useless as neji is. Smh i feel attacked

#10 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:04 PM

Wow. Shikamaru the guy that didnt do anything meaningful and cool since his fight with Hidan is beating one of the 4 yonkous, one of the strongest and most hyped characters in the series, the man who tied wit the strongest swordsman, the man who has enough pull to have the leader of his enemy listen to him, a one armed badass, the man who was on the ship of the previous Pirate King and inspired the future pirate king. I do not understand you people. People really think shikamaru is kool? Sure he is smart and came in clutch a few times but I never considered him a top tier character by any means. Hell if this was rock lee instead even if i dont agree I would understand cause he has a huge following. But shikamaru?? He’s jus as useless as neji is. Smh i feel attacked

To me Shanks is exactly what you said, hype. Nothing less but still nothing more. Atleast Shikamaru did something on screen/page at somepoint, Shanks is now what Thanos was in Marvel CU prior newest Avengers
  • masterbio likes this

17.jpg

#11 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:07 PM

To me Shanks is exactly what you said, hype. Nothing less but still nothing more. Atleast Shikamaru did something on screen/page at somepoint, Shanks is now what Thanos was in Marvel CU prior newest Avengers

regardless tho he’s cooler then shikamaru. Cooler by every since of the word. Even if we dont have all the facts yet we know Shanks is strong as hell, we know he’s important to the story, we know he has a badass character design, we know that as far as pirates goes he’s the poster child for the perfect pirate.

Shikamaru jus has the nostalgic factor goin for him. Jus like the other naruto characters in this tournament. Alot of people jus grew up on him so he’s looked at through a nostalgic lens that makes him look and seem cooler then he actually is.

Lmaooo if yall cant tell im legit hurt by these poll results

If would have been better too if they had used a cooler picture of shanks for this tournament

#12 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:18 PM

regardless tho he’s cooler then shikamaru. Cooler by every since of the word. Even if we dont have all the facts yet we know Shanks is strong as hell, we know he’s important to the story, we know he has a badass character design, we know that as far as pirates goes he’s the poster child for the perfect pirate.

Shikamaru jus has the nostalgic factor goin for him. Jus like the other naruto characters in this tournament. Alot of people jus grew up on him so he’s looked at through a nostalgic lens that makes him look and seem cooler then he actually is.

Lmaooo if yall cant tell im legit hurt by these poll results

If would have been better too if they had used a cooler picture of shanks for this tournament

Yeah I'm nitpicky in a way that even though we know he's strong I want to know HOW. Does he prefer CoA over CoO or vice versa? Is he more of a strenght character than agility based? He uses sword (I prefer other melee weapons since swords are too mainstream but is still cool) but what's his style?

I admit his design is cooler than Shikamarus but that only gets you so far in my book.

Maybe next year (or around 5-8 years knowing Oda) he might actually win this

EDIT: Oh yeah about Shikamaru and nostalgia goggles. As the series ended we pretty much don't have a choice now :/ also Shikamaru vs Temari and Shika vs Hidan are in my "3am drunk nostalgia fight lists" which Shanks currently just can't do

Edited by Jekkusormi, 27 June 2018 - 02:22 PM.

• Raiden, PunkHazard and masterbio like this

17.jpg

#13 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:20 PM

Yeah I'm nitpicky in a way that even though we know he's strong I want to know HOW. Does he prefer CoA over CoO or vice versa? Is he more of a strenght character than agility based? He uses sword (I prefer other melee weapons since swords are too mainstream but is still cool) but what's his style?

I admit his design is cooler than Shikamarus but that only gets you so far in my book.

Maybe next year (or around 5-8 years knowing Oda) he might actually win this

EDIT: Oh yeah about Shikamaru and nostalgia goggles. As the series ended we pretty much don't have a choice now :/ also Shikamaru vs Temari and Shika vs Hidan are in my "3am drunk nostalgia fight lists" which Shanks currently just can't do

ugh that’s actually a fair point. It would be better to know more about his abilities. But still the coolness and hype factor should definitely be enough to help him win, at least against shikamaru of all people. Like the bar isnt set that high on that one. And maybe I would feel better if the results weren’t soooo one sided. It makes me sad that not that many people agree that his coolness makes up for wat we dont know.

Ugh maybe i jus never liked shikamaru even back then. I remember bein excited wen shikamaru beat tamari but thats only cause that was the first taste of anime battle strategy that Ive ever seen. Now lookin back on it that strategy wasnt all that clever. Especially after watching shows like HxH and Code Geass. The strategies in those shows are way better and smarter then anything shikamaru has done.

The way Chrollo beat Hisoka is one of the most well executed and thought of strategy to win a fight that Ive ever seen. It was a flawless plan takin in to account his opponents strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by PunkHazard, 27 June 2018 - 03:22 PM.

#14 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,973 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:50 PM

I was the person that nominated Shanks, but I voted for Shikamaru in this poll. It was close, as I do really love Shanks, but I think Shikamaru is a much more well rounded character so that tipped my vote to him.

Although I do think the criticism of how Shikamaru was used in the later part of the series is a valid criticism. Probably the same can be said of most Naruto characters with how most kind of got forgotten, especially as the power levels started to escalate like crazy, but I guess it all depends if how he was used before then still makes up for that and I say it would.

So his character might have peaked with the Hidan fight, but I think out of every Naruto character Shikamaru might have had the most satisfying arc overall. From starting out as the slacker, showing his worth when beating Temari, to getting revenge on Hidan for Asuma, and finally becoming someone that people look to for leadership. All that without ever becoming some over powered character, and his relationship with Temari included it all became very satisfying, maybe more so than even Naruto or Sauske in the end.

With Shanks I think the hype argument has some weight to it, but I guess it also depends if you think that hype is worth it too. He is a tough character to judge off just a few appearances but he is set up to be endgame for Luffy, so they can't showcase him much before then. Those few appearance are also some of my favorite scenes in the series. From getting made fun of in the bar, to his "risk your life on it" speech, to seeing conquers haki for the first time with his meeting with WB, and stopping the Marineford war. I think we have enough to judge his character, but we also know that there is a lot still to come and we haven't really seen what his character's full arc is going to be.

I guess if you wanted to do a comparison from a character from Naruto that would be Shanks then it would be Minato. The 4th Hokage was always a very popular character throughout the series with fewer appearances than Shanks for a long while, but all the hype and how his character was positioned with relationships to certain characters made people fans of him despite not knowing much.

• Raiden, PunkHazard and masterbio like this

#15 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:44 PM

I was the person that nominated Shanks, but I voted for Shikamaru in this poll. It was close, as I do really love Shanks, but I think Shikamaru is a much more well rounded character so that tipped my vote to him.

Although I do think the criticism of how Shikamaru was used in the later part of the series is a valid criticism. Probably the same can be said of most Naruto characters with how most kind of got forgotten, especially as the power levels started to escalate like crazy, but I guess it all depends if how he was used before then still makes up for that and I say it would.

So his character might have peaked with the Hidan fight, but I think out of every Naruto character Shikamaru might have had the most satisfying arc overall. From starting out as the slacker, showing his worth when beating Temari, to getting revenge on Hidan for Asuma, and finally becoming someone that people look to for leadership. All that without ever becoming some over powered character, and his relationship with Temari included it all became very satisfying, maybe more so than even Naruto or Sauske in the end.

With Shanks I think the hype argument has some weight to it, but I guess it also depends if you think that hype is worth it too. He is a tough character to judge off just a few appearances but he is set up to be endgame for Luffy, so they can't showcase him much before then. Those few appearance are also some of my favorite scenes in the series. From getting made fun of in the bar, to his "risk your life on it" speech, to seeing conquers haki for the first time with his meeting with WB, and stopping the Marineford war. I think we have enough to judge his character, but we also know that there is a lot still to come and we haven't really seen what his character's full arc is going to be.

I guess if you wanted to do a comparison from a character from Naruto that would be Shanks then it would be Minato. The 4th Hokage was always a very popular character throughout the series with fewer appearances than Shanks for a long while, but all the hype and how his character was positioned with relationships to certain characters made people fans of him despite not knowing much.

Gawd dammnit! This is such a well thought out answer that I cant even find room to argue. FUUUUUCK. Ok watever! Shikamaru is the best and Shanks sucks and I hate everything!!

#16 Ajh77

Ajh77

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationCrashing into the sky as I fall from the sea

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

I voted Shikamaru.  He is the more fleshed out character at this point and I just like his shtick. 

• Raiden likes this

pq1sg.jpg

Sajin Komamura - "I won't tell you not to hate me. I won't tell you not to bear a grudge against me. All I ask is that you don't sacrifice yourself for the sake of revenge. If you were to do that, and I were to lose you, like you lost your friend, it would break my heart."

Tousen Kaname - "...Thank you...Komamura."

#17 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:37 PM

Still mind boggling. I hate you all

#18 Shin

Shin