#21 Royal_King

Royal_King

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationTrinidad

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:53 AM

Wasn't it hinted that there were other branches in soul society? I seem to remember that. Cool premises hope it gets to serialization. 

HXZmyoy.jpg

A Champion of Champions may not be a Hero

#22 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,414 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:17 AM

Wasn't it hinted that there were other branches in soul society? I seem to remember that. Cool premises hope it gets to serialization. 

Saiyan's post last page had the Twitter finding. Also Milareppa did theorize there were more than 1 Soul Society so maybe you read her posts.

• Royal_King likes this

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#23 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

Still iffy about this being linked. Feels like a callback. Wouldn't be surprised if Kubo's still trolling.

• KUROkami likes this

#24 D.Hyuga

D.Hyuga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:05 PM

So I guess north branch had ritters and south branch either desperados or black panters?

#25 Revenant

Revenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:40 PM

Well, this is something I've missed. Fresh Kuboing for us to disscuss. Shame that the forum is but a shadow of its former self, but no use dwelling on it.

Kubo finally returns after 2 whole years since Bleach's mediocre ending, and during what is likely the biggest marketing push Bleach has ever gotten. New novel, live action movie, artbook, mobile games reaching it's third anniversary, and then there's this one shot. It seems Kubos relationship with SJ wasn't as bad as some had speculated. But the timing seems weird right? To have such a massive push for a series that he seen it's popularity decline long before it wrapped up, two years after the fact. This push is my main reason for believing that SJ and Kubo might have big plans for the future.

But what exactly is going on with this one shot, one might be asking themselves? Is it really a sequel to Bleach? Is it even connected to it? The one shot seems to scream "yes", but it's unclear as to how or, perhaps most importantly, why.
Much of this new world's mechanics have been laid out in detail for the reader, which in of itself suggests that Kubo might be aiming for more than just a one shot. But how these mechanics connect or mirror Bleach's original mechanics is not 100% clear. Dragons don't seem to be entirely the hollow counterparts for the West Branch to deal with, they seem very different, both in form and function. There's not even any real indication that the afterlife is at all present here. Yet it's undeniable that this is indeed connected to Bleach. I wonder what's the reasoning behind it. There's no denying that the biggest appeal of the one shot is that connection. I hope this gets more clear very soon.

But, onto another, more important point. What exactly does Kubo hope to achieve with this new world he's introducing and connecting to his old creation? Is this something that will help the fans better understand Bleach as a whole? Is it going to be more of an epilogue for Bleach, similar to the return of Twin Peaks? How is Kubo going to handle this new project is perhaps the most intriguing aspect of it.

#26 Negative Syndicate

Negative Syndicate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,455 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Planet Earth......

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:51 PM

Well, this is something I've missed. Fresh Kuboing for us to disscuss. Shame that the forum is but a shadow of its former self, but no use dwelling on it.

Kubo finally returns after 2 whole years since Bleach's mediocre ending, and during what is likely the biggest marketing push Bleach has ever gotten. New novel, live action movie, artbook, mobile games reaching it's third anniversary, and then there's this one shot. It seems Kubos relationship with SJ wasn't as bad as some had speculated. But the timing seems weird right? To have such a massive push for a series that he seen it's popularity decline long before it wrapped up, two years after the fact. This push is my main reason for believing that SJ and Kubo might have big plans for the future.

But what exactly is going on with this one shot, one might be asking themselves? Is it really a sequel to Bleach? Is it even connected to it? The one shot seems to scream "yes", but it's unclear as to how or, perhaps most importantly, why.
Much of this new world's mechanics have been laid out in detail for the reader, which in of itself suggests that Kubo might be aiming for more than just a one shot. But how these mechanics connect or mirror Bleach's original mechanics is not 100% clear. Dragons don't seem to be entirely the hollow counterparts for the West Branch to deal with, they seem very different, both in form and function. There's not even any real indication that the afterlife is at all present here. Yet it's undeniable that this is indeed connected to Bleach. I wonder what's the reasoning behind it. There's no denying that the biggest appeal of the one shot is that connection. I hope this gets more clear very soon.

But, onto another, more important point. What exactly does Kubo hope to achieve with this new world he's introducing and connecting to his old creation? Is this something that will help the fans better understand Bleach as a whole? Is it going to be more of an epilogue for Bleach, similar to the return of Twin Peaks? How is Kubo going to handle this new project is perhaps the most intriguing aspect of it.

It is just one shot. So, don't expect that it can answer whole bunch of questions.

But, I can say that Kubo did this one shot because the Shounen Jump chief editor asked him to do it for one of Jump's 50th year anniversary projects.

• Chillman likes this

#27 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:42 PM

Just read this chapter and really happy. I think both of the characters are really interesting. The world set up ain't bad either. The panties thing was alright. I wasn't annoyed it just there.
Overall I'm happy with what we got. Not blown away but hsppy.

#28 Fenrix

Fenrix

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:49 AM

Not sure if I liked this or not  :mellow:

The story was kinda confusing and the panties jokes were forced and annoying. Didn't like either Noel or the other girl.

If this one shot does get a serialization, I'd only read it because of its connection to Bleach. 

Edited by Fenrix, 17 July 2018 - 11:53 AM.

#29 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3,187 posts
  • LocationStamford Bridge

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

where is @WaffleCopter or @FrostyMouse I want to know what they think before reading.

I haven't read it yet.  I'm not sure if I want Western Bleach.  I think what I'd most want is just a better powerset for the MC.  I was so tired of only GT.  There were different GTs along the way, but it was only ever GT.

ilhd1c.jpg

#30 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,231 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:54 PM

I enjoyed this. Wasn't perfect, but it really felt like a chapter of early Bleach for me. With all the comedy in it and how the set up was very similar with a secret world and some guy getting involved in it from the outside. Instead of shinigami we have witches and instead of hollows we have dragons and instead of Soul Society we have Reverse London. It followed a lot of the same beats as Bleach with the witches' job being to deal with dark dragons that come into contact with normal people and they feed on negative emotion, but that is structured differently than the hollow and spirits thing in Bleach.

Also it didn't really deal with anything relating to the afterlife like Bleach. It's set up was closer to something like Harry Potter where there is a normal world and a magical world with the normal world being unaware of the magical one. I did like how detailed Kubo got in describing Reverse London. From how the different dragons are responsible for all these different resources and materials that they use in the Reverse London world, and he even went into detail about how the Wing Bind organization was structured with there even being a school that trains people and you have to pass that to join it. I suppose Bleach had a school of sorts as well before people joined the SS thinking about it. Even the blonde girl, Ninii, seemed to be some sort of idol in Reverse London given what products she was advertising, which was interesting.

The 3 main characters were serviceable. I think the two female leads, Noel and Ninii, were fun and I liked their combative dynamic and their look, but Balgo the male lead was a bit annoying at the start. He got better by the end, but he didn't really stand out much other than looking like Ichigo. I could see him developing more if he has to join the WB though. Their weapons reminded me of something you'd see in a 50s sci fi movie or something, lol.

But overall I don't expect anything else to come of this oneshot. I think it was just Kubo enjoying writing something different for the Jump 50th anniversary and tied it back into Bleach for a fun little twist with the Soul Society Western Branch nod and how Bleach was spelled out in the title of the last page. I wouldn't be against seeing more of this take on a Western Bleach, but I don't expect to see more.

• secretzfan likes this

#31 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:49 AM

But overall I don't expect anything else to come of this oneshot. I think it was just Kubo enjoying writing something different for the Jump 50th anniversary and tied it back into Bleach for a fun little twist with the Soul Society Western Branch nod and how Bleach was spelled out in the title of the last page. I wouldn't be against seeing more of this take on a Western Bleach, but I don't expect to see more.

I don;t think you set up that this in the world of Bleach if u don't expect to see more from it

#32 Godpachi

Godpachi

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts
  • LocationFangirlin' anywhere & everywhere

User's Awards

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:37 AM

Kubo's art is always a treat. That panty dude can go though. 

• Raiden likes this

RIP Satan

1HIflq7.png

Currently At War With Insane Soul

#33 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

I don;t think you set up that this in the world of Bleach if u don't expect to see more from it

People disagree that that is what he was doing.

#34 gintokichimaru

gintokichimaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

I tried out the one shot just cause I used to love Bleach. At one point it was probably my favorite manga. However the one-shot gave me more vibes of the later Bleach than the earlier arcs so I'm gonna have to pass on it if Kubo ever does get this serialized. 

Love it or hate it Bleach was successful and it's not often we get mangaka with long running series to have successful follow ups. 

#35 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,414 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:28 AM

Not just this one-shot but we have Ulquiorra with Hougyoku. Maybe we will have sequel if material keeps coming out hahaha

https://www.reddit.c...t/ulquiorra_r3/

Edited by Fulmine, 20 July 2018 - 12:28 AM.

#36 Fenrix

Fenrix

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:04 PM

^^^I wouldn't mind if we saw more of Ulquiorra. By far the most memorable and intriguing Espada. I also low-key shipped him with Orihime, lol  :P

#37 Revenant

Revenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:09 PM

Not just this one-shot but we have Ulquiorra with Hougyoku. Maybe we will have sequel if material keeps coming out hahaha

https://www.reddit.c...t/ulquiorra_r3/

That's actually an upcoming character from the mobile game, which I highly recommend because theyre highly competent in adapting the characters into a videogame.

They're even currently adapting manga characters, so if you want to see what they would look like animated and voiced, you should check it out.

#38 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,414 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

That's actually an upcoming character from the mobile game, which I highly recommend because theyre highly competent in adapting the characters into a videogame.

They're even currently adapting manga characters, so if you want to see what they would look like animated and voiced, you should check it out.

Oh, what's the game's name?

#39 Revenant

Revenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:52 AM

Brave Souls.

#40 Professor

Professor

• Members