8 replies to this topic

#1 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:04 PM

The 2018 OneManga Character Battle is now finished and since I enjoyed running it I would be open to doing more tournament style battles if people are interested. I would want to do something different from the normal character battles that we do, and I have a few ideas of some potiental options. 

Option 1: My first idea, and the one I'm most interested in, would be to do some kind of Favorite Anime/Manga Moments style tournament. The format would be the same as the OMCB tournaments but instead of characters it would be your favorite moments or scenes from an anime or manga, which could be anything from emotional, funny, badass, or crazy moments that you enjoyed for whatever reason. So things like the first time Goku goes SSJ, Luffy and the Strawhats declaring war on the World Government, and so on. To focus things a bit more I don't think I'd want to include full fights as moments, but specific moments from fights would be okay obviously.

The only problem with this idea for a tournament is the possibility of spoilers for people. So I'd have to have to make spoiler warnings obvious to try and avoid someone spoiling a big moment in a series they were planning on reading or watching.

Option 2: It would be similar to the first option and it would be Favorite Fights from anime/manga instead of moments. I think moments allows for more creativity in the options members can pick, but if some want full fights instead of specific moments from fights this would be that type of tournament.

Option 3: Another idea would be to do something closer to the normal OMCB but have it be about a specific category like Villains or Side Characters. This would be easy to do and I think in the past we have done something similar. Or open up a normal OMCB and focus on non-anime/manga characters, but that could get messy.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd be open to suggestions.

• Raiden, masterbio and SootKatt like this

#2 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:19 AM

I think #1 and #2 are interesting. 

To avoid the issue you mentioned with #1. I'd say perhaps make sure it's a moment from either a completed series or the moment isn't exactly of recent chapter releases. 

As a random suggestion -

I'd say perhaps a tournament on powers/abilities. Which one people find more intriguing. Like say Sharingan or Kaio-Ken. 

Edited by Narubi, 21 July 2018 - 01:19 AM.

• masterbio and SootKatt like this
Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#3 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,176 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:00 AM

The 2018 OneManga Character Battle is now finished and since I enjoyed running it I would be open to doing more tournament style battles if people are interested. I would want to do something different from the normal character battles that we do, and I have a few ideas of some potiental options. 

Option 1: My first idea, and the one I'm most interested in, would be to do some kind of Favorite Anime/Manga Moments style tournament. The format would be the same as the OMCB tournaments but instead of characters it would be your favorite moments or scenes from an anime or manga, which could be anything from emotional, funny, badass, or crazy moments that you enjoyed for whatever reason. So things like the first time Goku goes SSJ, Luffy and the Strawhats declaring war on the World Government, and so on. To focus things a bit more I don't think I'd want to include full fights as moments, but specific moments from fights would be okay obviously.

The only problem with this idea for a tournament is the possibility of spoilers for people. So I'd have to have to make spoiler warnings obvious to try and avoid someone spoiling a big moment in a series they were planning on reading or watching.

Option 2: It would be similar to the first option and it would be Favorite Fights from anime/manga instead of moments. I think moments allows for more creativity in the options members can pick, but if some want full fights instead of specific moments from fights this would be that type of tournament.

Option 3: Another idea would be to do something closer to the normal OMCB but have it be about a specific category like Villains or Side Characters. This would be easy to do and I think in the past we have done something similar. Or open up a normal OMCB and focus on non-anime/manga characters, but that could get messy.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd be open to suggestions.

I like option 1 and 2 but for the reason you mentioned, I think option 2 is where I'm gonna put all my beans into

I'm down for Narubi's suggestion too

Edited by Tokoya, 21 July 2018 - 02:00 AM.

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#4 Oben

Oben

♪~

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,954 posts

User's Awards

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:54 AM

I like Moments better than Battles, because the former can apply to every manga, while the latter doesn't, so the number of options would be bigger. 

#5 masterbio

masterbio

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:42 AM

Either 1 or 2 for me.

Regarding the the spoilers, we could put a limit to the moments, like they must be at least X years/chapters/episodes old

#6 gintokichimaru

gintokichimaru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationDMV

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:08 PM

I prefer moments over battles as well. I think recognizing those scenes that meant the most to us, that made us fall in love with whichever characters is a great idea.

I'm not as thrilled about battles as that kind of limits the options to the more popular shounen battle series. I think moments would be a good way to shine light on some of the other genres.

A few questions about how it would work: do we include a clip of the scene in an anime video or a few panels from a manga? Are we just doing a brief description of the event? How would the nominations work?

#7 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:40 PM

@Narubi

Abilities could be an interesting tournament. I hadn't thought of that one before. I don't plan on the moments tournament to be as big as the recent OMCB, we had 256 total nominations there, so maybe after moments we could do one focusing on abilities. That might be interesting to do.

@masterbio

I guess we could put a time limit on it, but I would hate to leave out recent moments that people really loved too. I guess maybe the best way is give all the moments nominated a # and for each poll put which series are going to be in the thread and maybe in brackets also put something like [Spoiler Warning] in the title to let people know which series the poll is for. Not sure, I'll have to workshop it some to get a better idea.

@gintokichimaru

Yeah, I was imagining that in the polls there would be clips or pages of the moments that people nominated, which I'd set up, but in the nominations thread they wouldn't need to do that just yet. Just a clear description of the moment and maybe the episode or chapter from the series where the moment happened too. Also maybe come up with some type of short title to describe the moment that we can use in the tournament too. Like "Goku goes SSJ for the first time" would be enough of a title.

• Raiden and Narubi like this

#8 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:13 PM

Just another little random idea. 

But what about a tournament surrounding Anime OST's? 

Be a interesting aspect to focus on IMO. 

Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#9 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

Just another little random idea. 

But what about a tournament surrounding Anime OST's? 

Be a interesting aspect to focus on IMO. 

That might be interesting to do as well. Also something like favorite openings or endings for anime.

• Narubi and masterbio like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users