Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 23 December 2018 - 02:34 AM

samurai-8-04.png.jpg

samurai-8-09.png.jpg

samurai-8-06.png.jpg

"A stage presentation at the Jump Festa '19 event on Sunday revealed that Naruto manga creator Masashi Kishimoto is partnering with manga artist Akira Ōkubo for a new manga titled Samurai 8: Hachimaruden. The manga will debut in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine in spring 2019. Kishimoto is in charge of the original work, and Ōkubo is drawing the manga."

"Naruto voice actress Junko Takeuchi read a comment from Kishimoto during the presentation, which stated that the new manga will combine his love for Japanese culture and clothing, and science-fiction."

Here is the link to some more images of the series: https://www.animenew...8-manga/.141227

A bit surprised that Kish isn't going to be the artist on the series given how much time he has had to prepare and research for the series. Still, samurai themed science fiction manga might be pretty interesting.

• Oben, Raiden and Chillman like this

#2 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,381 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:00 AM

A bit surprised that Kish isn't going to be the artist on the series given how much time he has had to prepare and research for the series.

How are those related?

He's filthy rich now and in his 40s. It's not that weird to enjoy life and leave the laborious part of the job to someone else and just diss out ideas (obviously he can always help with the drawing when he can).

Other reasons may be professional one like his art is not suitable in his opinion or he knows th artist and wants to create a chance for him/her etc.

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#3 Metal Heart

Metal Heart

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationCosmere

User's Awards

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:50 PM

I'm actually looking forward to this, Kishi is a good writer when he's not forced to shit out chapters.

• azer_moli likes this

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

If anyone is in the mood for some Smash Bros 3DS my friend code is 1118-0339-4355.

Spoiler I am writing stuff

#4 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 23 December 2018 - 01:07 PM

How are those related?

He's filthy rich now and in his 40s. It's not that weird to enjoy life and leave the laborious part of the job to someone else and just diss out ideas (obviously he can always help with the drawing when he can).

Other reasons may be professional one like his art is not suitable in his opinion or he knows th artist and wants to create a chance for him/her etc.

No, I understand that part of it, but I think it is related in that with 4-5 years off he had time to take a break from the weekly art duty. It wasn't a situation where he immediately stepped into a new weekly series after Naruto ended but took his time. So you figured that he would be rested and ready to start it again. Plus I think Kish's art was his best asset over his writing, so it isn't playing to his strengths even though I think he can be a good writer too.

Also I guess it comes down to love of drawing. Some creators just love drawing and probably can't imagine not drawing their own series, but Kish wasn't built that way.

• Raiden likes this

#5 Negative Syndicate

Negative Syndicate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,303 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Planet Earth......

Posted 23 December 2018 - 01:58 PM

Also I guess it comes down to love of drawing. Some creators just love drawing and probably can't imagine not drawing their own series, but Kish wasn't built that way.

Well, I don't think it is just about love of drawing, it is also about reducing the workload (if you spent 15 years of weekly serialization, I think there going to be lots of people who want to reduce their works). If Kishi moved to monthly magazine, like Jump SQ., then I think he may choose to draw by himself as well.

However, since he remained in WSJ (I feel like the editors requested him to stay in WSJ), so rather than doing another weekly serialization, he paired with the illustrator to divide the workload.

Edited by Negative Syndicate, 23 December 2018 - 01:58 PM.

• Shin likes this

#6 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,381 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:49 PM

No, I understand that part of it, but I think it is related in that with 4-5 years off he had time to take a break from the weekly art duty. It wasn't a situation where he immediately stepped into a new weekly series after Naruto ended but took his time. So you figured that he would be rested and ready to start it again.

...That's actually counter-intuitive for me. So ''I'm fully charged just to go to hell again'' over ''I can keep resting and let others go to hell for me whilst directing from here''? :lol:

That may be the case if you work on less heavy schedule like monthly or short series or you're still very young with health to spare, but Kishimoto is not young and here it seems to be weekly and long story again. Off the top of my head I can't recall that many mangaka of his status, longevity and age who work on 2 consecutive long weekly manga...Only Mashima comes to mind (Eden Zero seems to be a long series) but the guy is a freak to begin with and I recall reading he draws digitally which helps the speed. Togashi, yeah, but we all know he could not keep that for long with HxH. Arakawa's Fullmetal Alchemist is actually monthly and even though Silver Spoon serializes in weekly magazine it is released at monthly pace (14 volumes in 7 years). Inoue did not have weekly series after Slam Dunk, neither did Toriyama. KuroBasu's author is still young and Laserbeam ends already LOL.

Oh, there's Adachi Mitsuru but his longest series is 34 volumes which is less than half of Naruto. I think when you already put out your best, you kinda lost the wind in a sense. It's not unlike novel writers who only do short stories collection after their magnum opus.

#7 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,107 posts
  • LocationBetween life and death.

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:13 PM

I can understand why he wouldn't want to drawing everything himself. A lot of times you don't want to draw boring old buildings, trees, vehicles and so on, you just want to draw that cool fighting illustration.

Though it will be very odd if he dosen't draw anything for the series.

#8 Negative Syndicate

Negative Syndicate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,303 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Planet Earth......

Posted 25 December 2018 - 09:40 AM

A lot of times you don't want to draw boring old buildings, trees, vehicles and so on, you just want to draw that cool fighting illustration.

Well, you don't really have to draw those since there are assistants to do that for you.

• Raiden likes this

#9 Baks

Baks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:15 AM

I'm actually looking forward to this, Kishi is a good writer.

Just no.

Considering that most of part 2 of Naruto was straight out trash, including that terrible war arc.

Imo Kishi is an overrated two bit hack, who cannot write a decent story anymore to save his life, aka he is like the mangaka equivalent of George Lucas. Kishi and Lucas may have been good writers at one point, but they sure as hell ain't anymore.
  • waleuska likes this

#10 Insane Soul

Insane Soul

A charming jerk

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,622 posts
  • LocationOne profile checks...Two profile checks...Three...

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:32 AM

Haaaaah

Okay, how will we proceed from this?

-Dumbass MC, with a set to the clouds goal, possibly cursed or with an unique powers that set him apart from the rest?

-Rival, possibly a genius with a deep and dark backstory, loved by all

-Dull female characters, the longer the manga runs, the worse they become

#11 Metal Heart

Metal Heart

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationCosmere

User's Awards

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:51 PM

Just no.

Considering that most of part 2 of Naruto was straight out trash, including that terrible war arc.

Imo Kishi is an overrated two bit hack, who cannot write a decent story anymore to save his life, aka he is like the mangaka equivalent of George Lucas. Kishi and Lucas may have been good writers at one point, but they sure as hell ain't anymore.

Yes, the part where he had to shit out chapters because Jump was forcing him too. Remember the parts before the time skip? You know, the good parts that made the series as popular as it was?

Way to completely ignore my point :rolleyes:

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

If anyone is in the mood for some Smash Bros 3DS my friend code is 1118-0339-4355.

Spoiler I am writing stuff

#12 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 29 December 2018 - 11:25 PM

Yes, the part where he had to shit out chapters because Jump was forcing him too. Remember the parts before the time skip? You know, the good parts that made the series as popular as it was?

Way to completely ignore my point :rolleyes:

no. Part 1 was a mess as well.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#13 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,333 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 30 December 2018 - 03:57 PM

Just no.

Meh, only the last arc was truly trash imo....At the very least, everything up to the Pain arc was good

Edited by Tokoya, 30 December 2018 - 03:57 PM.

• Chillman likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#14 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,381 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

Not sure if this is posted yet but I do it anw.

Credit for redon on mangahelpers

Regarding Kishi as a writer and the much complained talk no jutsu back then

3T3b2ghC_o.jpg

• azer_moli likes this

#15 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

Kishi will be back <3 

I had completely missed those news for a whole month. Damn. 

I've read the comments, and I've seen that some still criticise Kishi for Naruto's last arc. Well, yes, it was bad. But think of the rest. Think of that ninja kid you shared the adventures of for so many years without giving up reading, and still looking forward to a new chapter every week. 

Every week, until a late point in the serialisation, I was incredibly eager to read Naruto. 

Knowing that this time, Kishi will have new characters come to life, and sci-fi samurai at that, is one of the best news I've read for a while. 

Also, Fulmine, Edens Zero is not Mashima possible second long-running manga, but the third. His first series was Rave Master, and his best so far despite the art that was nowhere near as good back then.

#16 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,381 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 12:07 PM

Oh yeah, I completely forgot Rave Master. Mashima had his chance with Fairy Tail...it could have been Rave Master upgraded but half-way through...

• azer_moli likes this

#17 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

Eden's Zero has potential.

#18 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:00 PM

Kishi will be back <3 

I had completely missed those news for a whole month. Damn. 

I've read the comments, and I've seen that some still criticise Kishi for Naruto's last arc. Well, yes, it was bad. But think of the rest. Think of that ninja kid you shared the adventures of for so many years without giving up reading, and still looking forward to a new chapter every week. 

Every week, until a late point in the serialisation, I was incredibly eager to read Naruto. 

Knowing that this time, Kishi will have new characters come to life, and sci-fi samurai at that, is one of the best news I've read for a while. 

Also, Fulmine, Edens Zero is not Mashima possible second long-running manga, but the third. His first series was Rave Master, and his best so far despite the art that was nowhere near as good back then.

Yeah but then i look back at naruto and realize all of its mistakes.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#19 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,333 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

Yeah but then i look back at naruto and realize all of its mistakes.

Pfft, I'd argue that at least 80% of Naruto was great

• azer_moli and Fenrix like this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#20 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:23 PM

Pfft, I'd argue that at least 80% of Naruto was great

Naruto is better than 95% of the shounen jump stories but it havea lot of things it done wrong and it could be so much better. 

• azer_moli, Tokoya, trafalgarlawisop and 1 other like this

p5Y5w8P.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users