Spoiler

#22 Kaidou

Kaidou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:25 PM

We don't know.

Weird that it was in the nominations for male character.

#23 Miss Coquine

Miss Coquine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationRiding Yoru

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:01 AM

To be fair, chances are he is :shrug:
No offense but Oda is never gonna make such an important character (that the 5 elders bowdown to) a woman. I would love to be proven wrong though.
  • Chillman likes this

tumblr_mvzbgsgUOj1rv8ck7o4_250.gif

#24 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:57 PM

To be fair, chances are he is :shrug:
No offense but Oda is never gonna make such an important character (that the 5 elders bowdown to) a woman. I would love to be proven wrong though.

He could be taking kishimotos route and make the final antagonist a lady.
Yaiba last villain was a lady (kaguya as well)
Berserk main villain is also a girl( kind of)
And how can we forget sailor moons galáxia.

Don't sleep on Japanese writers

#25 Nintendocat

Nintendocat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Location, Location, Location

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:21 PM

Um, Sailor Moon is a Shojo so I don't understand why you're including it. It was written by a woman for girls and women to read and almost all of the villains were female as well. No surprising twists with gender expectations there. It's like someone saying that they don't expect a woman to ever win mvp for football and defending that women win Miss America every year.

Edited by Nintendocat, 24 January 2019 - 01:31 PM.

#26 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:37 PM

Um, Sailor Moon is a Shojo so I don't understand why you're including it. It was written by a woman for girls and women to read and almost all of the villains were female as well. No surprising twists with gender expectations there.

Still

Btw if anyone votes for either Franky or Hawkin as best character your mom's a how.
Franky did nothing and hawking shows up as a faithful underlying of kaido one month after they faced eachother. Explain how they got nominated
  • KUROkami likes this

#27 Miss Coquine

Miss Coquine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationRiding Yoru

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

^

What she said.

Also i'm not sleeping on Japanese writers, i'm sleeping on Oda.
Time to bump the portrayal of women in OP thread? :hai:

Edited by Miss Coquine, 24 January 2019 - 02:10 PM.

#28 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

Well we did have a big mom arc.

#29 Nintendocat

Nintendocat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Location, Location, Location

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:12 PM

Well we did have a big mom arc.

In which only the sons had proper fights while the daughters were barely focused on outside of pudding's redemption. Oh and Big Mom said wedding cake 1,000 times.

• Miss Coquine and trafalgarlawisop like this

#30 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:59 AM

Oda is a beast when it comes to women portrayals.
Normally in animanga we have females presented for fan service and the women villain, if tthere is one, is either the moon demon kaguya ( a bit of a cliché right now) or she is the sexy shallow one.
In Totto land oda gave us so many female characters that know one can't really complain. We have tall, small, ugly, beautiful and so on. In terms of what motivates them or what their personalities are, there is also a lot more depth than other animangas. We have smoothie that was portrayed as a bit irrational when she couldn't reach the sunny, we have the more calm Amanda. We have characters struggling with their personalities like pudding, we have characters that know who they are and what they want like brulle. Characters that are more inclined into family like brulle, others that only care how they will be perceived by others like flampe. Characters that shift from ideals and point of views. Yeah we can say that compote and smoothy were a bit neglected but we can't deny that they aren't completely out of the picture. They can still make a comeback.
BM herself is already a big shift from what a female character is always shown.

To be honest there would also be a good portrayals of females in fairy tail if not for all that fan service. Imo top 10 powerful characters of that show are 50% girls.

Well it's really easy for me to talk since I'm a guy. Is there something oda should/could improve?

#31 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:09 AM

Oda is a beast when it comes to women portrayals.

Well it's really easy for me to talk since I'm a guy. Is there something oda should/could improve?

@Abaroxa

Rereading the series in color, Oda's women in part 1... They are really awesome . I don't mind fan service and girls being sexy as long as its done tastefully while being well written and designed.

On the other hand, part 2 is another story and more of a mixed bag...

I am gonna start with the positives

Robin is still cool and a minimum competent but she doesn't really do a lot in the plot anymore (there were missed opportunities in WCI) I preferred her old design. However, I do like the fact that she is starting to show more emotions little by little ... EXCEPT FOR THAT MEME FACE  :psyduck:  :psyduck:  :psyduck:

Nami is clearly Oda's favorite so unsurprisingly her portrayal in part 2 is one of best thing of the time skip. I prefer her with short hair for some reason  :hmm:

Reiju is portrayed as lovely and caring. However, I wanted to see more highlights of her in terms of fights and she look WAY better in blonde

Spoiler

Carrot is cool and cute but she really doesn't bring anything of substance to the plot and main characters to have that much screen time. Put Robin in her place in WCI, have a scene with Chopper and her trying to persuade Sanji to come back as a callback to W7 would have been amazing with Robin actually the one doing the rescue would have been epic character development  :banghead: .

Okiku really seems appreciated by the fanbase because she is actually competent and cool. She is clearly a Japanese woman and Oda has to be careful in the way he portrays her. The downside is that her existence pretty much crapped even harder on Tashigi's already abysmal portrayal. Much like Carrot she doesn't bring anything of substance to the main characters that would actually make them grow as persons.

The negatives are for another post  :hai:

Edited by trafalgarlawisop, 25 January 2019 - 10:13 AM.

#32 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:47 AM

In which only the sons had proper fights while the daughters were barely focused on outside of pudding's redemption. Oh and Big Mom said wedding cake 1,000 times.

Didn't say it was a great portrayal, just one that's relevant for the thread.

#33 Miss Coquine

Miss Coquine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationRiding Yoru

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:12 PM

Forgot to give a deadline. 

Friday 8th of February ! 

#34 Abaroxa

Abaroxa