Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationSerbian Fetish Dungeon

User's Awards

2    2   

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

You mean the same guy that worked for the government and had the President as a boss? Yeah, I ... don't really.

The same guy also gathered physicians to a-okay what he said. Tobacco companies were pretty invested in paying off guys to tell people that smoking was fine. 

My point is that saying "oh, they have no reason to lie" is silly. 

Well i did say they have no reason to lie, but some of them can be brought.

That's a reason to lie.

This isn't even about climate stuff, just in general, people always can find a reason to lie. "I'm being paid to say otherwise." "I misinterpreted the data". "I really don't want to admit that I might be wrong."(that last one is a big favorite).

9uDrnRm.png

#142 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

My point is that saying "oh, they have no reason to lie" is silly.

I believe wale was saying that scientists --without outside influence, ie. just doing their job-- have no reason to lie. Now if you're talking about if you do X, I'll give you Y, then yeah, they can be persuaded to lie.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#143 Ganderath

Ganderath

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

User's Awards

2    2   

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:56 PM

I believe wale was saying that scientists --without outside influence, ie. just doing their job-- have no reason to lie. Now if you're talking about if you do X, I'll give you Y, then yeah, they can be persuaded to lie.

I'm gonna' dispute on grounds that people want to be right. Hawkings fought a pretty long and bitter war to argue that nothing could ever escape from a blackhole, I mean...Lamarck remained popular even after Mendel's stuff gave Darwin credibility.

• Red_Sand Beach likes this

9uDrnRm.png

#144 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

Didn't Hawkings just recant that? I believe he just came out and said that matter/light/energy can escape a blackhole.

LINK: http://www.scientifi...its-physicists/

Edited by DarkNemesis, 27 January 2016 - 10:20 PM.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#145 Ganderath

Ganderath

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

User's Awards

2    2   

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:03 AM

Oh I'm not saying he didn't eventually agree, he was just really adamant about that not being the case before.

Point is, we hate being wrong. The debate forum is a testament to that.

But this is more general than ecologically based.

9uDrnRm.png

#146 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:02 AM

Wale was claiming that the only person who is qualified to counter the claims made by a scientist is another scientist.  Which is equivalent to saying Non-authority holds that x is false, and authority holds that x is true, therefore x is true. Is that not a logical fallacy?

It's not equivalent to saying that, no. waleuska did not argue something is true because an authority holds that it is true. He said that the only people who are in a position to properly evaluate scientific arguments and evidence are those who are experts on the subject (a category that is unlikely to include anyone who does not have specialized academic qualifications relating to the subject.)

• DarkNemesis, waleuska and kame d. kaze like this

#147 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,284 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:34 AM

Interesting. NOAA accused of cooking the books by other scientists.

Spoiler

#148 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,863 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:49 AM

before anyone goes crazy here is some quotes from that site.

And even if all those adjustments were right, the warming trend would still be significantly lower than was projected by the collection of climate models cited in the most recent U.N.’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report.

In light of the massive El Niño there should be no surprise that 2015 showed elevated temperatures — about a quarter of a degree Fahrenheit higher than the previous year.

They urge us to keep in mind: “It is important to recognize that the central issue of human-caused climate change is not a question of whether it is warming or not, but rather a question of how much. And to this relevant question, the answer has been, and remains, that the warming is taking place at a much slower rate than is being projected.”

Referring to the pleading submitted by the 300 petitioners, he responded that “This letter shows that hundreds of respected scientists and experts agree that NOAA’s efforts to alter historical temperature data deserve serious scrutiny.”

Also can we wait on this until we get a better souce. I have been looking around the net for more information about this but NONE of the major news networks are reporting this.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#149 Milareppa

Milareppa

Live Long and Prosper

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:25 PM

Interesting. NOAA accused of cooking the books by other scientists.

Watts Up With That is a known anti-climate change organisation which was originally formed with the remit to disrupt climate science and has a history of causing major problems to legitimate, and peer-reviewed (and accepted) science (it was one of the key drivers of 'Climategate', which ended up being refuted by multiple scientific sources and independent review panels, but caused excessive reputational damage at the time). It's very biased.

For example, the article describes Anthony Watts (WUWT's founder) as a 'meteorologist'. It's true that he was a television/radio meteorologist (aka 'weather reporter), and he has worked for Fox in a 'chief meteorologist' role. However, he has taken a couple of university classes in meteorology but has not completed a full qualification in the subject.*

It also describes Bob Tisdale as a 'climate expert', but to the best of my knowledge, no-one has a clue what his qualifications are. I remember him as the guy who claimed the IPCC had done no research into the natural causes of climate change, which is easy to refute if anyone's ever read any of the IPCC's reports on climate change, and I've scientists of several different disciplines (not just climatologists) question his qualifications on the grounds that his books and reports appear to show little understanding of science at all.

It'll be interesting to see if independent scientific sources can verify this. Watts has been objecting to NOAA's doubling trend research since 2012, and climatologists have been finding serious flaws in WUWT's research and grasp of the science concerned ever since 2012 - that includes some other climate sceptics (such as Stephen MacIntyre who distanced himself from WUWT's 2012 criticism of NOAA's research on this subject, agreeing with the criticism by climatologists). You definitely will need a more unbiased source than this one.

* For the record, I have also taken university classes in meteorology, which makes me about as educated as Watts on the subject.
  • Petite Fleur likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users