https://jaiminisbox....en/0/215/page/1

#2 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,376 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:50 AM

Monoma still shines.

See? Only effectively usable when he masters One for All. Don't worry about Deku's being too OP so soon. Horikoshi knows what he's doing.

• Raiden, Shin, Asch and 1 other like this

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#3 Luffy_PK

Luffy_PK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:47 AM

Monoma still shines.

See? Only effectively usable when he masters One for All. Don't worry about Deku's being too OP so soon. Horikoshi knows what he's doing.

Yeah like I said, I've got faith. He hasn't disappointed me so far so I'm sure he'll handle the OfA quirks well
  • Slimcoder likes this

#4 Baks

Baks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:04 AM

So Deku beat Shinso eh, I honestly thought that wouldn't happen. I stated in previous chapter discussion threads, that I thought he and his team may lose.

Anyways, that being said Ochako was the real mvp of this entire fifth and final match. Like her asking Shinso to use his brain washing powers on Deku to help calm Deku down and in that way supporting her future husband. Not to mention besting Monoma in close quarters combats and dragging off Monoma's loser ass into the clink.

Also nice shout out to Kirishima for being concerned about his future waifu here:

https://www.mangapan...academia/215/11
  • Tom Ace and Slimcoder like this

#5 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,006 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:41 AM

Once the battle shifted focus to it being about Deku's powers I never really felt Deku would lose to Shinso. Like the story wouldn't go through all that then have Deku lose. It didn't feel set up that way. Plus Class A winning the last match which eliminated any chance of Class B winning and they could only shoot for a tie also kind of lessened the idea of Class B winning against Deku to me.

Not sure how I feel about the black whips also hurting Deku's body. I get it is to limit him so he doesn't get too OP, but Deku using the normal OfA ability that put an enormous strain on him physically for getting super enhanced strength felt fitting. The same thing happening because of the whips feels a bit forced, but we will see as time goes on.

Overall I am not sure how I feel about the arc. I really enjoyed the early fights where it felt like there was a lot of creativity and both classes really got an opportunity to shine. The fights felt close, but after the 4th battle where Bakugo stomped the other side it kind of dip for me. Then the 5th battle where it became more about Deku's power felt a bit awkward. I think it would have been better if Deku had his quirk issues at the end of the battle instead of at the start. Since it would have let the classes fight evenly to start with and show some creativity with their quirks, but the battle became secondary once it focused on Deku's power. Overall I have mixed feelings I guess.

Monoma had some nice moments at least, even if getting taken out by Uraraka was a bit disappointing. I loved all his introspective stuff and how he used the Double Impact quirk. It is a bit frustrating as you can see so much potential with his character as he had some of the best quotes in the whole arc by far, but I don't know if he will ever realize that potential because he is pretty far removed from the main cast and story.

Also with so much speculation about what would happen if Monoma copied OfA it is a bit disappointing that nothing happened. I mean it makes since because OfA is a stacking quirk and Monoma thought it was a strength one. It might be interesting that because Monoma copied it that it causes his own quirk to work differently. Maybe it would let him stack and use the quirks he copied instead of only limiting him to one, but that is just wishful thinking from me wanting to see his quirk utilized better, lol.

• Fenrix likes this

#6 Urek Mazino

Urek Mazino

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:20 AM

Not sure how I feel about the black whips also hurting Deku's body. I get it is to limit him so he doesn't get too OP, but Deku using the normal OfA ability that put an enormous strain on him physically for getting super enhanced strength felt fitting. The same thing happening because of the whips feels a bit forced, but we will see as time goes on.

With the gift of hindsight I think Deku's encounter with Eri should've been the catalyst to awaken this new form of 1fA, that way Hori wouldn't have had to make a questionable (but valid) excuse about the power gestating for long enough. Black Whip could've then been intro'd against Sir in its initial volatile state and then Deku could've tried to control it in the current match but still with backlash. Just an idea of how I think it could've been better handled without overshadowing Deku's team and their opponents in favour of Deku. :shrug:
  • Shin likes this

XE6c6KC.png?2

Spoiler If Milareppa/Episteme were OP fans :P (posts by Eric Ester Burgos & Jae Johnson & Two Cents @ http://mangastream.c...ment-1216310802)

#7 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,006 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:07 PM

With the gift of hindsight I think Deku's encounter with Eri should've been the catalyst to awaken this new form of 1fA, that way Hori wouldn't have had to make a questionable (but valid) excuse about the power gestating for long enough. Black Whip could've then been intro'd against Sir in its initial volatile state and then Deku could've tried to control it in the current match but still with backlash. Just an idea of how I think it could've been better handled without overshadowing Deku's team and their opponents in favour of Deku. :shrug:

Yeah, I liked the theory that Eri artificially unlocking Deku's 100% messed with how OfA worked and might have lead to the new changes and things we are seeing now. It could have been a very good explanation. It does feel odd that we had that whole mini arc about Deku learning long distant attacks and using them against Gentle only for him to get a new quirk anyway that gives him a long distant attack, lol. 

• Urek Mazino likes this

#8 NostalgiicBlade

NostalgiicBlade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:35 AM

So he still won't be able to use 100% of his powers no matter which quirk he uses. Good

#9 Grimmjagger

Grimmjagger

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationCaNdY fAcToRy

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:45 PM

I wanted Deku to lose because quite frankly, I have enough of him always winning.

Monoma is... Interesting. A clever bastard imo.

beddcde48156521f9348e4580280e674.gif

Wind is tickling my face as I have nothing but you in my mind.

#10 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,677 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:31 PM

I kind of disagree. It'll always be like Deku has seven trump cards and mastery is no big deal in shounen when we have training arcs or characters say something like "I'm going to use all 10000% of my lifespan that's my ninja way". In the end it reduces tension and gives Horikoshi lazier outs.

The other problem is now Horikoshi also has to scale other villains, Todoroki, and Bakugou with Deku. The aesthetic of the manga is going down the drain with this change to me. It'll no longer feel as grounded as it used to.

#11 Fenrix

Fenrix

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:59 AM

I wanted Deku to lose because quite frankly, I have enough of him always winning.

Monoma is... Interesting. A clever bastard imo.

Hmm, I find it interesting you say that.

Although it's true that Deku has been "winning" or coming out on top in pretty much every battle he's had, I've never felt that he's been winning too much.

Deku always struggles in some way during his fights so when he does win, it makes the win feel more well-earned and believable to me. It's not like he's just rofl stomping in every fight like say.... Natsu from Fairy Tail.

If that was the case, then yes, I'd be tired of him always winning too  :shrug:

• Raiden likes this

#12 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,376 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:33 AM

mastery is no big deal in shounen when we have training arcs

Isn't training arc exactly the solution for this dilemma? Logically, people train and get better, so no asspull. Time-wise, it would be several volumes from now. What we should worry is if Deku suddenly masters it next chapter or soon and starts LOLQuirk everyone. If it's years from now with sensible training where we can see him grow and struggle, as we have through out the series, then I don't see the problem

or characters say something like "I'm going to use all 10000% of my lifespan that's my ninja way"

Yeah but that thing has been rare in BnHA (I only recall that time vs the muscle guy in training camp) and when Deku used it he got terrible consequences. As his injuries pile up, Horikoshi might even give him a ''power-down''

In the end it reduces tension and gives Horikoshi lazier outs.

Oi, it's not the idea itself, it's the execution. What has made you so cynical about Horikoshi? :lol: And I mean, this whole Quirks being passed down is 100% consistent with what we know. It's not so much a foreshadow, it's practically spelled out the moment All Might explained how the younger brother's Quirk works. I'd rather Deku have it now and see him developing with them, not wait till near the end of series and he suddenly pulls out 7 other Quirks and beat final villain...

The other problem is now Horikoshi also has to scale other villains, Todoroki, and Bakugou with Deku. The aesthetic of the manga is going down the drain with this change to me. It'll no longer feel as grounded as it used to.

They can just grow along Deku? Like I said, it's not like Deku already masters all the Quirks. He has more utility now, but at the current level, it's just an upgrade of Monoma who had 4 Quirks (and even more if it's lasting-effect Quirks as he said) available. Hell, if soem Quirks cannot be used for whatever reason or activating 2 at the same time is too much burden then he's nothing better than Monoma...except for One for All at base of course but we have people like Bakugou who seems to be physically strong even if his Quirk isn't strength-related so...

Besides, some people learn a lot and be Jack of All Trades, other is Master of one single thing and you can never tell how they vs each other unless you see them actually fight. If Bakugou and Todoroki can just push their one weapon to utter limit and maybe even surpass it, I don't think they would just lose to Deku. Look at All Might, the dude needs only overwhelming brute force to blow through everyone.

• Raiden, Fenrix and Slimcoder like this

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users