• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 raptor13

raptor13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:08 AM

If Oda wanted us to care about Yasuie he should have introduced him much earlier on in the arc rather than just two chapters ago - it's simple as that really. 

We aren't mean to care.  He was just a plot device meant to surprise to reader by suddenly showing this nobody was a major player.  Now in death, the device just gave the rebellion a clear path free of suspicion to finish preparations and at the same time rally the citizens.  Oden is f***ed by his own hand now.

Someone on reddit pointed it out: 

Tonyasu's real name is Lord Yasui  Shimotsuki. Shimotsuki Village is where Zoro is from. 

Page 1 Panel 3; one of the samuari's under Yasui has the same crest on his uniform as Zoro's dojo.  Zoro's sensei also had this crest on his uniform. 

The people of Ebisu town are always smiling and never showing sadness even after someone's death. Zoro's master was blase even after his daughter died.

I see where you going with this Oda. 

Fixed to single out the important facts   :thumbup:

Edited by raptor13, 11 May 2019 - 10:09 AM.

Next Nakama ballot:

Spoiler

#22 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,076 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:18 PM

Yeah, I found the chapter disappointing. I guess my hopes were high that Zoro would do something here given he was running to the execution platform with the whole country watching the broadcast, but he didn't do anything. It felt like a waste of what would have been a great set up for an AWESOME moment. Like when Luffy punched Carlos or when he charged Ace's execution platform against the admirals. I feel like if this was Luffy Oda would have had him step in and do something regardless of the situation, but he can't give Zoro moments like that. Could have had Zoro try and save him but then Yasu sacrifices himself to help Zoro get away or something, but oh well. 

As for Yasu's death it is difficult to really care that much. We only saw him for like 4 scenes and while I didn't mind his character there was no real built up attachment to him. Even when we learned Toko was his daughter, who I also like and might be the real Witching Hour Boy, but they spent no scenes together too. So him dying here doesn't really have much of an impact despite it apparently being this BIG turning point in the series. We just didn't really spend enough time with him and him dying basically during the chapter we find out his backstory didn't feel like it worked. They still didn't even bother showing what Oden looks like in his backstory too. Oden is really being dragged out, lol. I feel like the Pound death in the WCI arc was set up better. He was introduced early on and all throughout the arc he was kind of in the background and near the end of the arc he sacrificed himself for his daughter without ever knowing who he was, so there was a tragic payoff to his small arc. Yasu didn't really have an arc. 

Like the whole reason Yasu died feels like Oda just wanted to reset the story to before Orochi knew about the rebel's plan. If that was the case then why expose it in the first place? Just feels kind of needless to just have Yasu take all the blame and then kill him off so you don't have to deal with the enemy being aware of their plan. He didn't need to die for us to learn the truth behind why the people of Ebisu Town smile all the time too, or if Oda wanted to use Yasu's death to spur on the people of Wano it wasn't set up that well. 

I guess Oda wanted to end this Act 2 on Luffy's prison escape as well. Since I'm going to guess that is where the focus of the story is going to jump to and stay until the end of the Act. So Zoro is done for now. If Oda had Zoro step in and try and stop the execution by causing a big scene then Oda would have had to spend even more time on this scene with Zoro and then jump over to Luffy's prison escape after it, which might have been awkward to do. 

#23 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:10 AM

What about the pleasure squad introduced on zou's arc. Kaido or jack could simply name them soldiers or fodders yet he gave them such an intriguing name. I went back to reread it and noticed they are always smiling.

This new information on people having their emotion stolen is awesome. They are sad they simply can't display it. This takes me back to the vinsmoke brothers. Is it that they have the emotions but simply couldn't display them. You know what they say "if you pretend to be someone for too long you might actually believe you are that someone". Maybe the vins brothers just don't know that they have those emotions.
I wonder if they can retrieve the emotions of the people in ebisu town. If yes, will it generate a new plot story where sanji will save his brothers.

#24 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,653 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

Once again I am not at all interested in this chapter. Guys I have nothing going on right now that is making me too busy to read, I just simply am not interested in this arc. I remember ID and MF had me checking the forum every 30 mins waiting for the new chapter to come out. Sometimes I even woke up late at night and checked for the new chapter. Not anymore. Oda. With this horrible arc. Really killed my interest. And i am a very loyal guy. My interest doesnt fade easily. One year in college I ate just ramen and egg salad the whole year and I still love both those foods. So it is a miracle I actually am starting to lose interest in something I have invested so much of my time in.
For real, at this point on my life I have invested so much time in OP I used to think of it as a pet, not a relationship that would be insane, but a dog that one cares about, and I would never lose interest on a dog.... but somehow OP is losing me.

Ah great, we still cant think of a cover arc.... awesome... hey I have an idea oda, instead of 5 cover pages for each fleet member.... maybe give them each a cover arc? Or at least the good ones like Bartolomeo and Cavendish. Oh or Bellamy he could have a cover arc. In fact. Let's just leave wano and you can do the rest of the arc in a cover story. Please?

Oh great oden is an idiot. I was just thinking to my self "you know what I love. When oda builds up a character to be some legendary bad ass only to make them an idiot"

Ya wano sure is isolated.... with all those pirates that stop by all the time...

Oh good, you know what I was just thinking? "I sure love it when oda makes a character some legendary bad ass only to have their friends engage in light domestic abuse with them" (I am not getting political I promise) there is just something really....unfunny... almost de-masculating about a character letting his subordinates punch him. When nami covers luffy in lumps... it is just a bad look for luffy. I mean.... the biggest sign that a commander lacks control over his unit is.... well forget the real biggest sign, someone punching their commander is so ridiculous it isnt even worth looking for. It just shows that nami or this guy have no respect for their leader.
Disclaimer- idk maybe this is more of a harp luffy relationship, then we are talking corporal punishment which is fine. I am just assuming oden is not the child or apprentice in this situstion.

Yes he is still alive. And as I already pointed out because his cross was made improperly he will be for a while.

Only 2 pages of flashbacks? There is a god!

Wow, hey translators can you help us out a little? What the hell is a dinamo? Dont pull a bleach and leave every name of an object in the Japanese words, please, that is why I didnt take bleach seriously.

Wait what? I mean I always assumed robin was the witching hour boy, so is it that guy or not? I thought he was caught committing the crimes. I mean the ass hole just said he would help the sh cree fight kiadou what is he doing getting caught stealing?

"My bad for living" this is another Japanese thing I will never understand. It is like "inheriting will" it is a very weird and clunky thing to say. Just thought I would point that out, carry on.

I dont think you get to call him a fool when he caught you..... you wouldnt see McGregor calling Mayweather a fool after he lost his boxing match.... well you might but we would all agree it was in bad taste. Now I get orochi is a loser and a ugly clown. But I am not the one who was defeated miserably by him so I can say that. Coming from yasu's mouth that kinds rings hollow.... since he lost to orochi.... quick question- if you lose to a fool what does that make you?

Oh here is some fun trivia, back in biblical days, fool was the worst insult you could call someone.
BUT considering these are not biblical times. Calling orochi "nuaght but a pest" is 1 step above me calling someone a "but face" hahaha I sure got them... this is Japan after all, call him "a disgrace to these lands"

Now hold on. Telling people the revolution is a prank... wont that stop people from showing up? And you probably are not fooling orochi who still bealieves in ghosts.

Oh it was a cowardly plot was it? Well thank you for sparing us the 5 chapter flashback. I promise you I will take your word for it. Please, just leave it at that.

I dont think anyone is stupid enough to believe that....

Is it cowardice to lock up your political enemies? Idk maybe it is. But as real life has shown us, most recently in North Korea, it stops people from questioning your orders or right to rule. The exact opposite of what yasu thinks it will do. And the fodder guard seem to confirm this as well.
"Wow orochi locked up hundreds of people with a tattoo because he thought they were plotting against him? What an idiot, surely it is safe for me to not obey him"
That is the dumbest logic I have ever seen in OP

Oh and a close second. - shogun momosuke. What the hell is this about? Why is everyone outside America so obsessed with birth right sovereignty? Seriously, maybe it is because my ancestors fought a king, but why is this considered a virtuous thing to uphold such illogical institutions? "Please momo become our ruler" yes the 10 year old will make a great ruler I am sure of it. There is no one more qualified..... kin, who is apparently "a cunning man" isnt qualified, maybe yasu if he comes back. No he isnt qualified. Momo is the only logical choice. But I am sure none of you will agree with me.....so.... let's go good guys! Replace orochi's military dictatorship with momo's monarchy!!! Wahoo nonwestern values!

Wow did you guys see all those bullets? That is because guns were invented in wano and no one can shoot guns like wano marksmen.

Ok for my next installment of "this is out of character" we have zoro, the sh who talks about killing more then any one even some villains, getting worked up because people are laughing at death.... what? Zoro frequently smiles while talking about killing his enemies, what is going on? And why does zoro care? I mean a little girl laughing at her own father's death is in bad taste but 2 things, 1- why does zoro care? He doesnt know yasu, does he know the title of the dude? That is an awfully shallow reason to care about a person. Besides pirate captain seems like a better title then dinamo and I have never seen zoro cry over a random pirate's death.
2- zoro doesnt know the full story. Maybe he touched her, chill dude wait till you get the facts. Like smile forcing the townspeople to smile.

So, the smile makes them smile? Is that metaphorical or literal?
1- metaphorical- wow this is the biggest factory operation I have ever seen in a manga. Ph dr and wano. I thought the sad was produced in ph and shipped to dr where it was feed to trees and that forced the trees to produce smile. How the hell does wano come into play? No those factories cant be related to smile production that is wrong.
So how do the smile metaphorically come into play here at all? Is it because the smile users are super mean to the town of esiben? No that isnt it, smile user or not they would still be mean....

Oh no dont tell me. Does smile originally come from wano and no one but wano craftsmen can make smile that efficient?

2- literal- well they said these fruit have side effects. This would be a really cool side effect- they make the users age and lose all emotion. Does that side effect make any sense? No. But it would suck. It is almost the same side effect of the energy steroids from FI. BUT this can't be the case either. Because yasu clearly cares about these people alot. If they are all former kiadou soldiers who aged and lost all emotion because of smile side effects why would he feed and love them as much as he did?

So in other words..... momo's sister is a moron. How the hell could smile in any way relate to those people's condition? They clearly are suffering from a mental illness. Possibly mania. As stated above literally there is no way smile effected them and indirectly smile should have a negligable impact on their lives......what was she talking about? What is oda talking about? Is a massive retconn coming?

Also my final point. Was that really the best use of his life?
"Ok kiadou and orochi have a bunch of strong fighters we need all the fighters we can get our hands on"
"Marco isnt coming"
"Darn we really need strong men"
"Hey! I was a former big shot. I am going to kill my self in an effort to sow a little distrust between orochi and his men"
"Um..... you mean kiadou and his men?"
"Nope just orochi, screw that guy right?"

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#25 capu

capu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:13 AM

OK having reread the mangaplus version things are clearer. The mangastream and jaiminisbox ones got me confused. While i dont really like a chapter i now believe that it is the start of a real rebellion, since the "loved", kindhearted leader of Hakumai now got killed. Moreover Oda presented a disruption even within the followersof the shogun. While we where presented mocking towards him during the meeting with Komurasaki we now also get to see disbelief within his forces. Since cowardice is a thing samurais cant allow themselfs, many might actually cast him aside as a potential person which is worthy to follow. 

What i am intrigued is what Oda tried to achieve byhaving the smile linked to taken emotion. I mean i was good to actually belief it is completely based on chemistry, i did not need it to have been based on actual peoples emotions who got taken from them. While it is a nice twist i somehow consider it to be forced and rushed. I mean many are dissatisfied at how GOT goes these days and that some actions should have been played only after more eleboration and buildup time, same goes for the smile fruit. There should have been some hints before a relavations such as this one imo.

Then again what will Zoro do now? I truly hope he is going to act. I simply would find it stupid for him not to act after having heard whats been done to them, then again i dont see him fighting Drake+Hawkins+Shoguns elite troop, who seemingly aint pushovers (not powerhouses but they seem competent with varying/multipe skills at their disposal, which makes them a powerful group when havng to face them as a whole rather than 1v1).

What i find interesting is Ashura Douji having arrived at Bakura town alongside Inu and Kine. I am interested as to see how the 2 groups will act now. Will they fight each other or will Ashura follow his original goal of punishing Kaidous underlings there?

@captain kidd 

if i remember correctly Robin only claimed to be the witching hour boy in order to deceive the officials, and in order for the Shs alliance and their deeds at Wano to remain hidden.

BTW

Which place has Yasu shown them? How will the Shs alliance get to know of this?

Secondly where the heck is Sanji group? I thought they chill at ebisu town? Noone can tell me they did not see all its inhabitants leaving for the capital....

Edited by capu, 15 May 2019 - 02:44 AM.

#26 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,653 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:56 PM

Possibly, it just seems like something the sh crew nami or Robin are doing. Why would they mention the witching hour boy if he wasnt a new creation? I mean he is just a common thief. But maybe oda pointed him out so yasu's death would be more impactful? Idk who knows.

It really makes me angry that luffy and zoro had their "I dont want to be a hero" moments even though they constantly are being the hero. Even in this arc going so far as to do the exact thing luffy didnt want to do... share his meat.... that kind of bullshit is as insulting as the "your crew mate's corpses are in the woods" scene.... yes I am sure luffy's crew is dead in the woods...great cliff hanger...

banner.png

#27 capu

capu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:42 AM

Possibly, it just seems like something the sh crew nami or Robin are doing. Why would they mention the witching hour boy if he wasnt a new creation?
To not let the shoguns forces look too deep into it and in order for them to be caught off guard later on if the SH rebellion takes place. 

I mean he is just a common thief.
Witching hour boy seems to be too capable with too much focus as for him to be someone unimportant imo.

It really makes me angry that luffy and zoro had their "I dont want to be a hero" moments even though they constantly are being the hero.
Yes its too pointed out and then disregarded too frequently/often as to still be believeable, i agree.

#28 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:43 PM

I am just assuming oden is not the child or apprentice in this situstion.

He kind of is, the flashback is from shortly after Oden had been exiled by Sukiyaki so he's yet to revitalize Kuri and be appointed the Daimyo of the region. Since Yasuie is already a Daimyo and in line to become Shogun at that, he is certainly in a position of authority over Oden who is still a teenager at this point. This scene is meant to highlight that Yasuie was one of the people that inspired a young Oden to get his act together which helped lead to his great accomplishments later and possibly that they had sibling bond similar to what their daughters now have with each other.

Wow, hey translators can you help us out a little? What the hell is a dinamo? Dont pull a bleach and leave every name of an object in the Japanese words, please, that is why I didnt take bleach seriously.

A Daimyo is a Lord that rules over a certain region but is subordinate to the Shogun who rules over the entire nation. In fairness to the translators the title has been brought up many times since the end of Zou and they did include a translators note back then explaining what the position was. Also I disagree with the notion that everything be translated, Admiral Akainu sounds a lot better than Admiral Red Dog imo.

I mean the ass hole just said he would help the sh cree fight kiadou what is he doing getting caught stealing?

He let himself get captured so that he could have this moment, it's not what I would've have done but he's seem to have accomplished his goal regardless.

Coming from yasu's mouth that kinds rings hollow.... since he lost to orochi.... quick question- if you lose to a fool what does that make you?

He didn't really lose to Orochi, as he said he lost to Kaido..."but we failed to overcome the monster that is Kaido and Wano was razed to the ground"
So I think him calling out Orochi is still fair.

Now hold on. Telling people the revolution is a prank... wont that stop people from showing up?

No it was said in this very chapter that Yasuei provided the allies that were captured with a new rendezvous point so they're still on board.

Oh and a close second. - shogun momosuke. What the hell is this about? Why is everyone outside America so obsessed with birth right sovereignty? Seriously, maybe it is because my ancestors fought a king, but why is this considered a virtuous thing to uphold such illogical institutions? "Please momo become our ruler" yes the 10 year old will make a great ruler I am sure of it. There is no one more qualified..... kin, who is apparently "a cunning man" isnt qualified, maybe yasu if he comes back. No he isnt qualified. Momo is the only logical choice.

I'm not sure what the purpose tangent was but in the world of One Piece most nations are ruled by a royal family as is the World Government itself so I don't see the problem. Also it said future Shogun implying that Yasuei thinks he will become Shogun in the future...when he's an adult. Do you know what a Regent is?

Ok for my next installment of "this is out of character" we have zoro, the sh who talks about killing more then any one even some villains, getting worked up because people are laughing at death.... what? Zoro frequently smiles while talking about killing his enemies, what is going on?

This is a tragic misunderstanding of Zoro's character. He may be ruthless in battle but outside of it he certainly doesn't lack empathy like the Vinsmoke siblings. Part of the reason Bonney was dissing the Strawhats was because Zoro carried a man to the hospital despite the fact that he didn't even know the guy. His whole introduction with Rika was to show that Zoro is not a bad person despite his demeanor and reputation.
  • Strobacaxi likes this

#29 capu

capu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:31 AM

I truly hope that with next chapter we will finally get to see some action. I mean come on its been 20 or even 30 chaps and noone except Luffy did anything...honestly NOTHING noteworthy happened imo ....

An all out war vs the yonkou Kaidou cant be won if his forces aint diminished significantly bit by bit beforehand. There r countless hyped characters at Wano yet nothing of note has happened so far and we know for a fact the the SHs are nowhere near the lvl the yonkou kaidou has, his crew not even counted. Seriously Kaidou one shotted Luffy how would the entire SH crew do better vs a solo Kaidou, unless u only consider that kaidou would take mayhaps 10 secs more to defeat all SHs than he needed when he soloed Luffy with ez, to make a difference Oda should finally implant some powergrowth time for each and every SH.

Its been a truly boring story so far, we know all we need to know up to now and its time to finally get some meantime action and then go back to story progress in terms of knowlegde about history and structure as well as happenings in OP world in generel. Seriously far too much more important stuff has been left out and needless focus/knowledge has been presented/ centered a lot.  

#30 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,653 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

He kind of is, the flashback is from shortly after Oden had been exiled by Sukiyaki so he's yet to revitalize Kuri and be appointed the Daimyo of the region. Since Yasuie is already a Daimyo and in line to become Shogun at that, he is certainly in a position of authority over Oden who is still a teenager at this point. This scene is meant to highlight that Yasuie was one of the people that inspired a young Oden to get his act together which helped lead to his great accomplishments later and possibly that they had sibling bond similar to what their daughters now have with each other.

A Daimyo is a Lord that rules over a certain region but is subordinate to the Shogun who rules over the entire nation. In fairness to the translators the title has been brought up many times since the end of Zou and they did include a translators note back then explaining what the position was. Also I disagree with the notion that everything be translated, Admiral Akainu sounds a lot better than Admiral Red Dog imo.

He let himself get captured so that he could have this moment, it's not what I would've have done but he's seem to have accomplished his goal regardless.

He didn't really lose to Orochi, as he said he lost to Kaido..."but we failed to overcome the monster that is Kaido and Wano was razed to the ground"
So I think him calling out Orochi is still fair.

No it was said in this very chapter that Yasuei provided the allies that were captured with a new rendezvous point so they're still on board.

I'm not sure what the purpose tangent was but in the world of One Piece most nations are ruled by a royal family as is the World Government itself so I don't see the problem. Also it said future Shogun implying that Yasuei thinks he will become Shogun in the future...when he's an adult. Do you know what a Regent is?

This is a tragic misunderstanding of Zoro's character. He may be ruthless in battle but outside of it he certainly doesn't lack empathy like the Vinsmoke siblings. Part of the reason Bonney was dissing the Strawhats was because Zoro carried a man to the hospital despite the fact that he didn't even know the guy. His whole introduction with Rika was to show that Zoro is not a bad person despite his demeanor and reputation.

Ya I was worried about that. Once again we have a legendary bad ass who was treated like a child by his friends.

Really? I must be reading a different source then I try to read all those translators notes. I even read the section on the mystical beasts and legends three times over. Mainly because I thought it was cool.
As for akainu, 2 things.
1- that isnt fair. Akainu is what we know, to change it now obviously would sound weird, we are all used to akainu instead of red dog. BUT apply that same logic to luffy. Is he "straw hat" luffy or "migragraw" (close enough)
2- if that is bad, which I agree red dog isnt a cool name for someone of his stature, we are all free to call him by his name, sakazuki (close enough) it is fair to call admirals by their names.

My main point is it is a stupid plan and only an idiot would fall for it. I hope orochi is as stupid as yasu falls for it. I mean.... imagine if nathan hale, instead of his famous "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" line instead, before the British executed him he said "lol, the American Revolution was just a joke, there is no revolution! Go back to life as normal!"
No one would fall for that.

As for my point you counter by saying "he told people in the prison the new meeting place" ok, but what about the people who arent in there yet? Was recruiting done forever? Did the sh alliance have every single person they want to help fight kiadou?
Recruiter "hey want to join out cause?"
Citizen "lol dude didnt you hear, yasu did that as a joke"

And most importantly, yasu or the sh crew for that matter didnt even find out how orochi knew about the plan. For all they know orochi could have a spy! And now yasu died for nothing, the spy will just report the new location. Seriously if yasu wants to throw away his life he even did that wrong.

Well I guess this is just arguing word play but orochi teamed up with kiadou, which means yasu lost to the kiadou orochi team. Obviously I didnt mean that literally, we dont know if they fought. However the fact that yasu was so willing to throw away his life means he probably doesnt have the fighting power orochi has. So he probably would of lost literally to him to.
But like I said, teaming up with a stronger ally is a legitimate way to win a war. If not you will have to tell britian and France that America and Russia won world war 2 not "the allies". Ya it is a very basic strategy, but it is effective, that is why it has been around so long.

Ya my rant was about the whole op world itself. Of course I know what that is....king tut had one... and not only was that not mentioned but it is not the point I was making. Just the fact they are trying to put an unproven child into office is illogical to it's very core. Who knows what kind of leader he will be in 10-15 years when he is ready to rule. I mean we can criticize naruto forever but at least they had the good sense to give kakishi the hokage job when naruto was still young. And naruto was actually ready for the job and most people knew what kind of guy he was. But here is 10 year old momo who is a....nice kid.... and has no other leadership traits....HE MUST RULE US!!!!

I mean... there is a difference between helping someone and getting worked up because of disrespect. If I saw someone get hit by a car would I call an ambulance or give them CPR? Ya sure. Would I get worked up and yell at people for laughing at the accident? No.

banner.png

#31 dbgetblack

dbgetblack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:07 PM

let me just arise a point about this chapter :this chapter is more so of the story of a revolution-spark than that of normal SHs story,and there in lies the importance. with just a single chapter and some brush of a character ODA drew the "official spark of the revolution " which is no longer a closet goal for Shs and the allies ,also to introduce the the "curse of the smile" . ODA is playing with the ' spark of revolition' quite a long time,like the time in Alabasta,to somewhat of in Alabasta,but this time around we have gotten a wholesome character. 
care of yasu or not,its a symbolic chapter,and ODA did well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users