Matt's repentance
Spoiler

#2 Timppafin93

Timppafin93

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:44 AM

Even if Smile turns to be failure and someone already take bite of it, fruit still regains power to make you lose swimming ability and you're unable to be sad or angry for rest of your life, only able to smile?

• Chillman likes this

#3 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:43 AM

I have to admit. Oda got me this week. I felt sad for the ebisu residents and anger towards Orochi.
722 was the last time sanji and zoro were in the same panel. That's almost 6 years ago.
  • Raiden, Gazhead, Tale and 4 others like this

#4 Enoa

Enoa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:32 AM

Feels kind of forced to me. It was always established that the fruit loses its special features (including weakness to sea water) after the first bite, now its been conveniently changed to them retaining their "bad" abilities. I know smile-fruits are not the same as devilfruits, but it feels like a cheap tool for drama. Unless Oda comes up with some kind of explanation why they behave like this.

#5 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:53 AM

Feels kind of forced to me. It was always established that the fruit loses its special features (including weakness to sea water) after the first bite, now its been conveniently changed to them retaining their "bad" abilities. I know smile-fruits are not the same as devilfruits, but it feels like a cheap tool for drama. Unless Oda comes up with some kind of explanation why they behave like this.

You can always say that the SAD component is a poison and that it takes away emotions from you. At Dressrosa, on the Smile factory, they are transformed into smile fruits. Whatever is the process of creating the fruit nullifies the SAD poison when successful. When failed, you just get a fruit that is rigged with poison.

You can say its cheap but I don't see it.

I never expected smiles to be as similar as normal fruits because they are artificial. I never expected them to lose their swimming abilities yet they did.

• Raiden, dbgetblack and Dsipro like this

#6 Zeta42

Zeta42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:18 AM

Reminder that the first we've ever heard of SMILEs was in chapter 504, from Doflamingo ("This is the age of SMILEs"). It took us quite a long time to learn everything(?) about them. But I'm not too excited about it. It just feels like generic evil for the sake of evil.

Glad to see Sanji and Zoro meet again at last.

#7 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,720 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:21 PM

Ok let's see if this chapter can make me care about OP again. Hey guys know what's the worst about this arc? The fact we all know there is a ton left to do...... oda follows the same formula for most arc and we are still only at the beginning of that plan...

You know oda.... instead of making the characters black you can just put them in the background.... see that straw hat guy? But him between kin and kanjuro so all we can see is his hat, there now we dont have characters in black face hahaha jk. But for real I hate that trope. We will see those 2 black characters in 30-50 chapters no one will accuse you of a retcon if you just dont put them in this picture...

Also STOP starting these chapters with flashbacks. Are you trying to give me a heart attack? We all know any chapter now we are due for a 10 chapter flashback..... every flashback makes me worry this is the start.

Oh now you freaking remember him. His god damn hair style didnt even change how did you guys now remember him? Looking at his dead body he even had the same nose eyebrows and cheek dimples.... how did you not recognize him? You recognized the girl who looked like a generic girl...(sorry girls, oda cant draw)

Ok...... can we calm the f down? I am going to hear you out before I react to your "hell" and "worst crime" comments but I already am very skeptical.

Nobody should laugh when someone dies? Are you sure you want to make that statement? What about arlong? What about cc? What about BB? Akainu? Are you sure you wouldnt laugh at anyone's death?
Also.....YOU LAUGHED AT YOUR OWN DEATH YOU FUCKING MORON.
What the fuck?! Are you kidding me now oda? Have you forgotten this much of your own manga?

Now I understand why luffy and zoro are confused. I think their reactions are out of character. But I get they are confused. Why is everyone else? Queen makes a comment that orochi is ruthless so maybe he knows about the smile. But random fodder didnt know. Was the smile test not well known? The flowers knows of the test.

We "should" of explained this sooner? No.... it is really an unimportant fact in the grand scheme of things. Law not telling luffy that the toys are actual people THAT should of been explained before the mission. Why those people can't frown.... I sincerely dont care. They could just be ass holes like people in mock town, so far it looks like it has no bearing on the story at all...

Several years ago? No no hold on one second. 1.5 years ago akainu and aokiji fought, shortly after that CC moved into PH that is when the smiles started being produced. Are you telling me there was another lab CC was working out of? Why did he move? How? He is a very wanted man... and he was apparently working for BM for a while too... I think several years is wrong but maybe I am forgetting something.

Ya that doesnt sound too good to be true. Oda you cant have luffy 1 shot a sea monster day one then try to tell us normal animals are something I should be worried about...

Oh cool so that answers one of my questions. Yes you do get the soda effects.

Ok so.... elephant in the room.... kiadou dreams of an all df crew.... so.... these "pleasures" um..... they arent long for this world are they?
Also I never thought I would say this but BB has the right idea. Steal good df from df users. Dont eat these things. I can name 3 characters off the top of my head the kiadou pirstes could kill yesterday. Dalton chakra Pell, there, go get good zoan (lol that is an oxymoron) go get normal zoan. You can even kill spandam's sword and the dog cannon and get those fruit, there 5 zoan.....

Someone run the numbers for me. It must be easier for DD to kill weak df users then it is for him to sell smile.

Nami thought that was a weird name? I mean it is sold by a guy people call "joker" so a joker sells smiles.... makes sense to me... in fact it makes so much sense it is obvious oda made this side effect to fit with the whole joker theme.

Hahaha df taste horrible but smile taste good, that is a funny little minor thing, I like that.

Arlong, Dr's king (while being controlled by DD), dd, enel...twice... the WG countless times.... you understand those people ACTUALLY destroyed towns? Orochi did something bad ya let's not let him off, but he could of done many many many many worse things.... he could of given you poison apples....

Ok I have seen all I need. That is NOT the worst thing orochi has done. Is it messed up? Ya. Is it cruel? Possibly. Is it the worst thing he has ever done?! Hell no. He crusified and shot yasu dead. THAT is far worse then forcing people to smile. Not to mention as it was made clear. The people after a few bites knew the apples were robbing them of their ability to cry and they still chose to eat them even though they knew the effects. That is the same as eating dirt and blaming it on orochi.

So.... not only is this not the worst thing orochi has ever done (he did something worse THIS chapter) but he didnt even do all of it. Hell he didnt even tell anyone to eat them. I will blame orochi for the first few people but the chapter was clear the other people chose those side effects.

Seriously we see zoro with veins in his head pulsing because of how anger he is.... because of this? Because a town cant cry? If this was the joker poison from batman and robin that made people laugh to death then ya sure that is evil. But they cant cry for the dead? That is what I am supposed to feel bad for? Oda you understand CC and DD kidnapped children right? On a scale of evil this "taking away ability to cry" is not even close to kidnapping children or murder or what ever arlong did to nami. And as I have already said, some villians actually destroyed towns and islands. Spandam destroyed TWO islands. So orochi's evil is even less then spandam's.... I am sure the people of ohra wish they were alive and just couldn't cry....

I mean this from the bottom of my heart guys. Help me. Is this a cultural thing? In Japan is it supposed to be worse then death to not have the ability to feel sad?

Do something for me. Close your eyes. Imagine the worst thing someone can do to you. Is it murder? Like what spandine did to clover? Is it murdering a loved one? Like what arlong did to nami? Is it destroying your home? Like what enel did twice. Is it rapping you? Like what it was kind implied dd did to baby 5? Is it selling you into slavery? Like what the wg/dd do? Is it taking everything you own like what spandam did to Tom (franky's dad) is it killing your dog? Like what buggy's crew did? Is it giving you an incurable disease like what the wg did to law's home town? Is it kidnapping you as a child and experimenting on you? like what cc did?
Notice something that never made it into that list? STEALING YOUR ABILITY TO CRY. How the hell am I supposed to react to this chapter? Do you really want me to care? Really? After all the evil we have seen in OP we have seen murder slavery kidnapping....child abuse..... and this is how "evil" orochi is?

What am I missing?
Flowers "so those townspeople are laughing, because orochi took their ability to cry!!!!!!!"
Luffy "oh that's so mean....how could he do something like that.... hey have I ever told you about what happened to my brother ace?"
Franky "that's nothing, let me tell you what happened to me and my dad and ice burg"
Nami "ya I had a pretty bad child hood too"
Chopper "mine wasnt the best either"
Robin "I couldn't smile either but that wasn't because of chemicals, it was because everyone I ever loved tried to kill me"
Sanji "ya I had objectively "easiest" child hood that was ruined by an evil man and even I have a worse story then those townspeople...."
Zoro "ya... I think the stairs that killed my childhood friend are a worse villian then orochi"

These people are telling this story with tears in their eyes, I was told it makes wano hell and it is the worst thing orochi ever did, but I am not seeing it.

So I have beat that horse to death. It was an evil thing to do but so far in op it is the least evil thing I have ever seen a villian do. Even Buggy's lion tamer kicking the dog was more evil. Come on it is a dog!!!

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#8 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:59 PM

I remember during Zou when the Pleasures were getting their asses kicked by the Minks they were still laughing while in pain but I would never have thought to connect that what with what was going on in Ebisu.

If Smiles have 90% failure rate and the few that work aren't even that great then Kaido was getting ripped off big time by Doflamingo. No wonder he desperately tries to recruit every enemy he defeats into his crew.

I wasn't ready for that scene of Toko trying to revive her father with Usopp's toad oil.

I know it won't happen but I wouldn't mind if Zoro killed Orochi next chapter and Kyoshiro took his spot as the secondary antagonist of this arc, he's quickly moving up my most hated characters list. Not only does he cause the majority of his own citizens to suffer but he takes away their ability to express it just so he can maintain his delusion of Wano being a paradise. :facepalm:

I'm not sure if Zoro without Shusui and Sanji without his raid suit can beat Hawkins and Drake but I doubt they'll clash for long if they do at all.

Ya I was worried about that. Once again we have a legendary bad ass who was treated like a child by his friends.

Oden was still young back then, not a child but not yet and adult either plus Yasuie was a mentor for him so I don't see the problem. Does Rayleigh lecturing a young Shanks make him less of a badass in the current day to you?

Really? I must be reading a different source then I try to read all those translators notes.

In all fairness you probably just forgot since Zou was almost three years ago. Though if you've read Naruto then Daimyo were brought up many times in that series.

As for akainu, 2 things.
1- that isnt fair. Akainu is what we know, to change it now obviously would sound weird, we are all used to akainu instead of red dog. BUT apply that same logic to luffy. Is he "straw hat" luffy or "migragraw" (close enough)
2- if that is bad, which I agree red dog isnt a cool name for someone of his stature, we are all free to call him by his name, sakazuki (close enough) it is fair to call admirals by their names.

1. I was referring to back when the Admirals were first introduced pre-timeskip and I don't know about you but Admirals Blue Pheasant, Yellow Monkey, and Red Dog sound like a couple of Sesame Street characters to me. Keep in mind I'm not saying that names and titles should never be translated to English but rather only done so when it makes sense. I think most translators do a good job of knowing what sounds better on a case by case basis.

2.  Well Sakazuki translates to "wine cup" so that only helps my idea that not everything should be translated to English. Also I'm almost certain that if you knew what most zanpakuto and attack names actually translate to you'd be glad the translators for Bleach kept them as the did.

My main point is it is a stupid plan and only an idiot would fall for it.

I agree it isn't the best plan but this is One Piece, there are more idiots in this series than there are devil fruit users. The World Government fired Moriah for being too weak to remain a Shichibukai and then hired Buggy a week later; and the World Government are considered the most competent group in the series.
Also I have so many problems with Kinemon's plan that stuff like this doesn't even register for me. Yasuie's move was one of desperation so I can forgive some flaws because there's weren't many great options but Kinemon's ideas might be some of the dumbest things I've ever read and he actually had time to plan.

As for my point you counter by saying "he told people in the prison the new meeting place" ok, but what about the people who arent in there yet? Was recruiting done forever? Did the sh alliance have every single person they want to help fight kiadou?

No but keep a mind there are two main factions of samurai that are against Orochi / Kaido. Those that actively rebelled and fought against them and are sitting in the prisoner mines like Hyogoro; and those that believed in the prophecy and tattooed their ankles while pretending to be loyal to Orochi but were really waiting in the capital for Kinemon and the other retainers to return from the past. Of the latter group I do believe that the vast majority were already gathered and arrested and by putting them in the same place will allow them to spread the message to each other more easily. The former group of thousands of samurai in the prisoner mines will be broken out by Luffy, Raizo, and Hyogoro so they don't need to be recruited via Kinemon's message in the first place, that message was only for the allies lurking in the capital which were the minority of them. Between these two groups I think they have all the allies they need.

• Kid Frost likes this

#9 feres

feres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:52 PM

Also I never thought I would say this but BB has the right idea. Steal good df from df users. Dont eat these things. I can name 3 characters off the top of my head the kiadou pirstes could kill yesterday.

But how would DD or Kaido steal a fruit? I believe only BB knows/can steal a fruit as he did with WB. I think his crew only get the user and then take him to BB do it.
Well, Jesuss sounded like he could do it in Dressrosa, so maybe  I am wrong.
Yet, even if anyone could steal a fruit power from a user, I dont think everyone knows how to do it. If they did, DF stealing would be the major activity in OPverse and it does not seem to be the case.

#10 gametaka

gametaka

The Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Locationplace of longest yard.

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

Zoro and Sanji caused trouble against Orochi like defeat him in front of the crowd.

Spoiler spoiler for everything

[/spoiler]

#11 masterbio

masterbio

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:10 AM

I feel like Sanji shouldn't be there. This somehow gives the impression that he's on par with Zoro, but he still hasn't done anything to prove that.

I hope Sanji keeps Drake and Hawkins occupied while Zoro obliterates the Shogun. This dude needs to go asap!

Also, very good chapter! The reveal of SMILE side-effect was interesting, and thinking about the suffering of Ebisu people, and not being able to show it, man... Nice one Oda

• Strobacaxi, Kid Frost, denimdragon and 1 other like this

#12 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,720 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

But how would DD or Kaido steal a fruit? I believe only BB knows/can steal a fruit as he did with WB. I think his crew only get the user and then take him to BB do it.
Well, Jesuss sounded like he could do it in Dressrosa, so maybe I am wrong.
Yet, even if anyone could steal a fruit power from a user, I dont think everyone knows how to do it. If they did, DF stealing would be the major activity in OPverse and it does not seem to be the case.

Well I hate to say this but you must of missed something.

CC at the very least knows how to steal a fruit. When his slimy died he left a bag of apples sitting around and one of those apples turned into a df.
So the heavy implication of this is that when a df user dies the df goes to the nearest fruit and that becomes a new DF.

That is what I believe Burgess had on his back in that weird pack. A bunch of apples. So once he killed sabo or luffy one of the apples I'm his .....neck...phannypack... would turn into the df of the person he just killed.

So at the very least CC knows how to steal df. BUT in reality any pirate in OP who has ever killed a fruit user should figure it out quickly.

Also, I guess the word "steal" inst correct, it is probably more correct to say "kill the fruit user and take his fruit"

Also..... once again I dont think this is how bm got her powers, but if worst comes to worst.... the kiadou crew could always eat df users to gain their powers....
  • Kid Frost likes this

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#13 Kid Frost

Kid Frost

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationJet-Setting

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:04 AM

Are you telling me there was another lab CC was working out of? Why did he move? How? He is a very wanted man... and he was apparently working for BM for a while too... I think several years is wrong but maybe I am forgetting something.

Smiles were a thing a least two years ago; after Luffy punched Charlos at the auction house Disco called Doflamingo panicking and he told him to lose his number as he was out of the slave business and that Smiles were now the hot thing on the underground market. Also Ceasar was on Punk Hazard before Aokiji and Akainu had their duel, in fact him clearing the island of poisonous gas is the reason they chose to have their duel there.

WZhSNm9.jpg

Spoiler Top 20 Anime Updated

Spoiler Top 20 Manga

Spoiler Top 20 Western Comics

#14 emirua

emirua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:20 AM

Looks like another task for Dr Chopper

#15 carmeliba3

carmeliba3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:42 AM

So, I don't really see how the Zoro's death theory can be made reality next chapter...

#16 Enbima

Enbima

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • LocationGourmet World

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:57 AM

Looks like another task for Dr Chopper

Chopper cured nothing so far.

To be effective In combat, a warrior must not feel for his enemy. Close your heart to their desperation. Close your heart for their suffering. The road ahead is long and unforgiving. No place for a boy. You must be a warrior.

- Goku to Gohan.

stop dreaming

#17 masterbio

masterbio

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:34 PM

Chopper cured nothing so far.

Didn't he cured the Minks?

#18 capu

capu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:30 AM

So, I don't really see how the Zoro's death theory can be made reality next chapter...

Possibly its a misinterpretation by readers default mind setting (or their hopes i.e. Mihawk death by an admiral). Mayhaps its just like Zoros new fighting style. I mean we know that Ashura is a sort of deity/demon in mythology. Mayhaps a new demonic fighting style created by Zoros spirit is connected to Death itself, thus the link.

I mean honestly there have been countless theories about Zoros eye (not that i like a single one of those), and that Oda choose not to elaborate about Zoros spirit at all since TS seems too awkward  as to not have relevance later on. Thus i could clearly see him having a spirit creation connected to hell or death/demons to further underline Zoros sinister nature and dark aura at times. The last 2 have been pointed out deliberately throughout OP.

#19 D.Hyuga

D.Hyuga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

^

Chapter will end with what looks like killing blow.

#20 Baks

Baks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:49 PM

Boring chapter, while the info on the Smile fruits was nice. I really couldn't careless about the people of Wano's plight, Yasuie and Toko.

If this chapter was meant for me to feel sympathetic for them, well I don't give a damn about useless fodder civilians or uninteresting minor side characters tbh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users