16 replies to this topic

#1 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,143 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:48 PM

It has been a year since the last OMCB and I'd be up for setting up a new one. This thread is mainly just used to gauge interest and to see if anyone has any good ideas for what we should do this year for it. Me and @Echo were planning on running it again. 

Right now I was planning on doing a basic OMCB tournament again where members nominate characters and they are randomly placed into a bracket style tournament and the character that gets the most votes advances. So a simple popularity style tournament. 

The other idea I was thinking of was to change up the format a little and maybe split the bracket into two separate tournaments. One for characters from older series (maybe like older than 5 years) and another one for character from newer series (less than 5 years old). Then we take the winner of the two brackets and face them against each other to see who the overall winner would be. Was thinking that this might help characters from newer series get a bit more exposure. 

• Echo, Raiden and masterbio like this

#2 XTR3ME

XTR3ME

Kawaii Kutie From Hawaii

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:39 PM

YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

I like the old vs new. Already have my list for both

Can we do no Main Characters? I feel like they’ll almost always win popularity

Edited by XTR3ME, 10 July 2019 - 09:43 PM.

• Raiden likes this
Posted Image

#3 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,143 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:52 PM

YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

I like the old vs new. Already have my list for both

Can we do no Main Characters? I feel like they’ll almost always win popularity

I don't think main characters win too often. I mean the main characters that would do well I think have already won before and wouldn't be included in this tournament, or I wasn't planning on having past winners involved. So Luffy, Edward Elric, and Kenshin have won before and wouldn't be in it. 

#4 XTR3ME

XTR3ME

Kawaii Kutie From Hawaii

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:55 PM

Good!
Posted Image

#5 masterbio

masterbio

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:02 AM

But popularity based too? (the old vs young).

I'm asking because I miss the tournament where we voted on who do we think would win in a fight xD

#6 XTR3ME

XTR3ME

Kawaii Kutie From Hawaii

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

I'm asking because I miss the tournament where we voted on who do we think would win in a fight xD

I thought OMCBs were about who’s win in a fight but all the ones I’ve participated in devolved into popularity contests
Posted Image

#7 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:07 PM

I'm in for either style tournament, regular or old vs new

Edited by Jekkusormi, 11 July 2019 - 12:07 PM.

17.jpg

#8 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,143 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, all the OMCBs were popularity based. I think in the past they set up some things that were "who'd win in a fight" but that got a little muddy with people wanting specific situations and how the fights should be set up and so on. 

#9 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
  • LocationBetween life and death.

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:11 PM

It would be cool if it's not dominated by the popular series like they normally are.

#10 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:25 PM

It would be cool if it's not dominated by the popular series like they normally are.

I would like that too but I just don't see it going that way. People tend to vote for someone they atleast know. I guess by adding very brief info of the characters might help but no idea how much or if at all

17.jpg

#11 Tom Ace

Tom Ace

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
  • LocationBetween life and death.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:31 PM

I would like that too but I just don't see it going that way. People tend to vote for someone they atleast know. I guess by adding very brief info of the characters might help but no idea how much or if at all

Well, the only way i think it can be done is if characters from the big three and maybe a few others aren't allowed in the first place.

There are so many cool and interesting characters from manga/manhwa/manhua that it's almost a crime that they never get a shot.

• Jekkusormi likes this

#12 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:09 AM

Well, the only way i think it can be done is if characters from the big three and maybe a few others aren't allowed in the first place.

There are so many cool and interesting characters from manga/manhwa/manhua that it's almost a crime that they never get a shot.

Or the Big Three (or Five if you count Fairy Tail and Me Hero Academia) would have their own brakket. So instead of Old vs New we would have  Popular vs Rest

• Tom Ace likes this

17.jpg

#13 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,143 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:38 PM

@Tom Ace

@Jekkusormi

We did that once before and I was thinking of doing that again instead of the old vs new if people were more interested in that set up. It was the Heavyweight vs Lightweight tournament. The only complication that we ran into is what would be considered heavyweight and lightweight outside of the obvious ones. Like would Fairy Tail be considered Heavyweight anymore? What about One Punch Man? FMA? HxH? Or Attack on Titan?

Like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and DBZ feel obvious but that next tier of well known series it starts to get complicated. 

• Jekkusormi likes this

#14 Jekkusormi

Jekkusormi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:35 PM

@Tom Ace

@Jekkusormi

We did that once before and I was thinking of doing that again instead of the old vs new if people were more interested in that set up. It was the Heavyweight vs Lightweight tournament. The only complication that we ran into is what would be considered heavyweight and lightweight outside of the obvious ones. Like would Fairy Tail be considered Heavyweight anymore? What about One Punch Man? FMA? HxH? Or Attack on Titan?

Like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and DBZ feel obvious but that next tier of well known series it starts to get complicated. 

How about we do a small poll to get like 10 famous series?  :P 

17.jpg

#15 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,327 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:35 PM

It has been a year since the last OMCB and I'd be up for setting up a new one. This thread is mainly just used to gauge interest and to see if anyone has any good ideas for what we should do this year for it. Me and @Echo were planning on running it again. 

Right now I was planning on doing a basic OMCB tournament again where members nominate characters and they are randomly placed into a bracket style tournament and the character that gets the most votes advances. So a simple popularity style tournament. 

The other idea I was thinking of was to change up the format a little and maybe split the bracket into two separate tournaments. One for characters from older series (maybe like older than 5 years) and another one for character from newer series (less than 5 years old). Then we take the winner of the two brackets and face them against each other to see who the overall winner would be. Was thinking that this might help characters from newer series get a bit more exposure. 

I vote for the old vs new tournament

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#16 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:27 PM

Either way is fine. 

Though I'll still throw out my idea of doing a tournament based not around characters, but unique powers/abilities from the various series. ;) 

• Raiden likes this
Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#17 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,143 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:31 AM

I'm leaning towards Old vs New. Just something we haven't done before, but now I need to come up with the right time limit. 5 years seems like a good cut off. 

Or maybe I could do it my decade. Maybe something like series that were created in the 80s and before that. Then series created in the 90s, then series created in the 2000s, and finally series created in the 2010s, but it might not be worth breaking it down like that. Probably easier to just do the 5 years limit. 

• Raiden and Jekkusormi like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users