PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:25 AM

This chapter felt weird....

Why did that guy jus give an entire run down on odens life like that? and to Oden’s father no less. Shouldn’t he already know all this?
  • Raiden, Kaidou and Red Opus like this

#3 SubzeroDegrees

SubzeroDegrees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:16 AM

18 year old Oden sounds like a badass I wonder who his bounty would compare to at this time?

#4 gametaka

gametaka

The Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Locationplace of longest yard.

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:24 AM

This is the rubbish chapter i ever read, everyone go and read eden’s zero.
  • capu and Red Opus like this

Spoiler spoiler for everything

[/spoiler]

#5 Scorpion2k4u

Scorpion2k4u

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts
  • Locationsurrounding you

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:32 AM

So far so good. We already saw a couple of characters we know from the future, including their personalities.
Oden seems to be very similar to Roger. At least to how I think Roger was as a Kid.

2mg5kyb.jpg

#6 Enbima

Enbima

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts
  • LocationGourmet World

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:57 AM

Well the first impact of oden wasnt that good to me.

Edited by Enbima, 25 October 2019 - 03:03 AM.

• Kaidou likes this

To be effective In combat, a warrior must not feel for his enemy. Close your heart to their desperation. Close your heart for their suffering. The road ahead is long and unforgiving. No place for a boy. You must be a warrior.

- Goku to Gohan.

stop dreaming

#7 Zeta42

Zeta42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:53 AM

Why did that guy jus give an entire run down on odens life like that? and to Oden’s father no less. Shouldn’t he already know all this?

Oda does that sometimes. Like when Mother Carmel recapped her entire career as a child trafficker to CP0. It's meant for the readers, obviously, but Oda doesn't seem to understand or care how unnatural it looks.

• Raiden and PunkHazard like this

#8 Baks

Baks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:02 AM

I gotta say that my impressions of Oden was really underwhelming tbh - both for his appearance and personality.

He just seems to me no more than a trouble making brat given the way how his father and his dad's most trusted retainer talked about him.

Heck his dad was even ready to disown his son judging by the fact on he gave that paper with the word disowed on it to that retainer guy. Who was in turn most likely gonna relay that paper over to Oden.

It makes me wonder, how on earth a brat like Oden ever managed to become shogun of Wano.

As for Oden's physical appearance it just seems meh and uninteresting tbh. Nothing about his appearance really stands out imo.

I dunno why Oda even bothered to hide Oden's silhouette for so many chapters when both his personality and physical appearance seem to me to be mediocre and underwhelming as hell just to reveal this.
  • Kaidou likes this

#9 Enbima

Enbima

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts
  • LocationGourmet World

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:44 AM

it seems like oden managed to control enma at the age of ten.

To be effective In combat, a warrior must not feel for his enemy. Close your heart to their desperation. Close your heart for their suffering. The road ahead is long and unforgiving. No place for a boy. You must be a warrior.

- Goku to Gohan.

stop dreaming

#10 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:40 AM

I liked this chapter. As much as I've hated Oda teasing us with info about Oden before, his character is delivering for me. He's the most troublesome person we've ever seen - what's interesting is this guy somehow reformed himself and the other criminals (like Kinemon) and became beloved by his retainers and other great figures. I'm optimistic about this flashback.

This chapter felt weird....

I'm guessing it was part of an argument meant to convince Oden's father to take the step he did take. 

• Madara D Dragon likes this

#11 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

kGyMmej.jpg

:notsure:  :notsure:  :notsure:  :notsure:

• Raiden, Shin, Kaidou and 6 others like this

#12 raptor13

raptor13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:43 AM

Soooo the great Oden was a douche's douche. Got it.
  • Kaidou and Red Opus like this

Next Nakama ballot:

Spoiler

#13 Shonuff The Master

Shonuff The Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:38 AM

Denjiro was carrying Wado Ichimonji on his back this chapter.

Is Oda showing us something with Oden eating on the fired up remains of his dead friend? Then you see the corpse moves in the end. We know that Oden was boiled alive so maybe it could mean something.
  • Raiden likes this

#14 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:41 PM

Wow awesome the start of 10 straight flashback chapters. I turely think flashbacks is why oda got into writing manga.
Oda's father "wow son you are great at hype and character design and you are kinda creative. You would me a great mangaka"
Oda "no thank you"
oda's father "wait what? Son you will get tons of money if your manga is a success"
Oda "no thanks I am good"
Father "women will love you, you will bring honor on us all, millions of people will read all over the world will read your work(most of which illegally online)"
Oda "no I am good I dont want to write manga"
Father "you can write huge fights and dramatic scenes and love scenes and flashbacks......"
Oda "WHAT?!?!"
father "love scenes"
Oda "no the last one"
Father "flashbacks?"
Oda "I will do it. I will write more flashbacks then some people write normal chapters. I will write the longest and fullest flashbacks ever. And if need to, I will destroy the pacing of my actual story, all for the sake of more flashbacks."
Father "you know you have to do more then just write flashbacks right?"
*one successful career later
Oda "you were saying?"

But for real. I like OP. I wish there was more. More op. More fights, more crew interactions, more dramatic scenes, more villians, more df more arcs....But has anyone ever wished there was more flashbacks?
Who in the history of OP has ever said "darn it that flashback was off screened"

Ok so all that being said I really dont care at all about anything that happened in this chapter. Just two things.

1 it never stops amazing me how real creatures are treated in OP. "I saw a mountain move. Weird... moving on...." "oh no a mountain god" freaking ridiculous. That is an actual thing, it is an adult white boar. Why.... why do they act this way? I am just at a loss for words at how stupid these people are. It isn't a "mountain god" it is a damn animal. The white boar isnt a harold of the gods it is a baby animal. Is oda making these people morons for the surprise reveal at the end or is everyone in op just a moron?

2 oden looks.... freaking hilarious. The dude is wearing a skirt. He has a comically oversized knot on his back and a dish on his head. I am sure he looks like the coolest guy in Japan so good for him. But he looks like a clown in all western societies.
  • capu likes this

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#15 Shonuff The Master

Shonuff The Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:21 AM

Wow awesome the start of 10 straight flashback chapters. I turely think flashbacks is why oda got into writing manga.
Oda's father "wow son you are great at hype and character design and you are kinda creative. You would me a great mangaka"
Oda "no thank you"
oda's father "wait what? Son you will get tons of money if your manga is a success"
Oda "no thanks I am good"
Father "women will love you, you will bring honor on us all, millions of people will read all over the world will read your work(most of which illegally online)"
Oda "no I am good I dont want to write manga"
Father "you can write huge fights and dramatic scenes and love scenes and flashbacks......"
Oda "WHAT?!?!"
father "love scenes"
Oda "no the last one"
Father "flashbacks?"
Oda "I will do it. I will write more flashbacks then some people write normal chapters. I will write the longest and fullest flashbacks ever. And if need to, I will destroy the pacing of my actual story, all for the sake of more flashbacks."
Father "you know you have to do more then just write flashbacks right?"
*one successful career later
Oda "you were saying?"

But for real. I like OP. I wish there was more. More op. More fights, more crew interactions, more dramatic scenes, more villians, more df more arcs....But has anyone ever wished there was more flashbacks?
Who in the history of OP has ever said "darn it that flashback was off screened"

Ok so all that being said I really dont care at all about anything that happened in this chapter. Just two things.

1 it never stops amazing me how real creatures are treated in OP. "I saw a mountain move. Weird... moving on...." "oh no a mountain god" freaking ridiculous. That is an actual thing, it is an adult white boar. Why.... why do they act this way? I am just at a loss for words at how stupid these people are. It isn't a "mountain god" it is a damn animal. The white boar isnt a harold of the gods it is a baby animal. Is oda making these people morons for the surprise reveal at the end or is everyone in op just a moron?

2 oden looks.... freaking hilarious. The dude is wearing a skirt. He has a comically oversized knot on his back and a dish on his head. I am sure he looks like the coolest guy in Japan so good for him. But he looks like a clown in all western societies.

It’s hilarious that week after week you have all these negative things to type about OP, but continue to read. You probably invest 0 of your own money so I doubt Oda cares to much about your critique. I have been reading OP for over 10 years and I’m sure you have read it for a long time too. Yet it seems you only read this for fights scenes and instant gratification. To readers who actually invested time and money into this series, the world building and character development are important too. I’ve been waiting to see Wano for years, I’m sure you have too. There are many things in Wano linked to One Piece and the Straw Hats. Pretty much everything has a link to Wano. Like in this flashback we already see that Denjiro has Wado Ichimonji on his back, we have a chance to learn about Zoro background. That is something many readers have been curious about for years. We get a flashback with a prominent member of Rogers crew. That is significant. Many readers are interested in Wano not just because of “fights durr”. I know Oda has skipped a few fight scenes and it could be frustrating, but if only read this for fights and drama every chapter better to just read or watch Dragon Ball.

How is he ruining his pacing? The act is completed and a new one just started. Unlike you, people are just enjoying the ride, I’m not in a rush just to read some fight scenes every week. And remember Wano is a country blocked off from others, this is something like 40 years ago. So the comments about White Boars are realistic. This is OP and the Boar is the size of a mountain hence “mountain god”. If you saw a capital crushing boar the size of a mountain, you’d probably call it something even crazier. Also remember this is a manga with giants, devil fruits and talking animals and many other crazy things. So how could you call them stupid?

OP has its critiques, but you are just fishing for things to hate on. Oda doesn’t care about Western Society opinion on clothes. This is a Japanese manga. He is wearing old Japanese attire, you are from the West but read manga so why do you care so much about his clothes? Just to let you know, not everyone around the world dresses like a they are from the West. This is 40 years ago flashback. As for his hair, yeah it is goofy looking and I’m sure Oda did that on purpose just like he does for many goofy looking characters in this series. Not going to tell you how you should think about a character design but it seems you are just mad he doesn’t have thin nose and boring hair style. Not everyone has to have a thin nose and typical anime face. You just hate on everything you can find to hate on, don’t you?

Funny we finally get to see Wano and perhaps get more info on the void century, the actual One Piece and many important things that have been lingering on in the series and you just complain we don’t get to see a big fight. For someone who has read this for so long, isn’t that a bit dense?
  • Raiden likes this

#16 Shonuff The Master

Shonuff The Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:53 AM

This series has been around since the 90’s. There are many mysteries that need to be shown. There are more important things than fights. If you want instant gratification and drama from action scenes, go read a manga for 12 year olds. Or go watch the Avengers or something. Fights don’t give us the information that we need as readers. One Piece is a long series and it’s a long process. Oda isn’t going to throw his masterpiece out the window for a few cheap action scenes. Just to please casual readers who don’t even support the series financially, even though they have the means to. Sure it’s been frustrating having a few scenes skipped over, but overall I’m not going to complain to much. If Oda gives us a few answers to things we’ve been waiting to see and know for literally years.
  • Raiden likes this

#17 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:03 AM

I gotta say that my impressions of Oden was really underwhelming tbh - both for his appearance and personality.

He just seems to me no more than a trouble making brat given the way how his father and his dad's most trusted retainer talked about him.

Heck his dad was even ready to disown his son judging by the fact on he gave that paper with the word disowed on it to that retainer guy. Who was in turn most likely gonna relay that paper over to Oden.

It makes me wonder, how on earth a brat like Oden ever managed to become shogun of Wano.

1. He's worse than any of the ASL. In fact someone mention how he has the worse attributes of the Luffy zoro and sanji.

2. When telling his tales, it was told he cut rivers to help. It was now been revealed that some of his feats were not always positive.

3. Luffy is well aware he need a crew to accomplish his goals. Oden had been alone all this time. He might need the 9scabards to be successful.

4. He will be damyo of kuri by the age of 20. And was not a shogun on Rogers last voyage. That's kind of when his 35.

5. His story is defacto the scariest flashback to date. Because he is the only character that had the power to defend himself.

#18 masterbio

masterbio

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:18 AM

Come on guys, this wasn't as bad as that. Kinda slow, but that's how all flashbacks start.

We'll only have to witness:

- Oden meeting the Red Sheats,

- Oden meeting his wife,

- the introduction of Orochi and his planning with Kaido,

- Oden trying to install peace,

- Oden being killed, and the coup by Orochi

- and Momo being sent to the present.

I mean, how long can that take? (Fight against Kaido will only start at chapter 1000, still calling it!)

Also, since it was stated in this chapter that Oden failed to set sail once again, are we to assume that this happened PRIOR to Oden meeting Roger?

#19 D.Hyuga

D.Hyuga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:56 PM

I mean, how long can that take?

30ch min

#20 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:07 AM

It’s hilarious that week after week you have all these negative things to type about OP, but continue to read. You probably invest 0 of your own money so I doubt Oda cares to much about your critique. I have been reading OP for over 10 years and I’m sure you have read it for a long time too. Yet it seems you only read this for fights scenes and instant gratification. To readers who actually invested time and money into this series, the world building and character development are important too. I’ve been waiting to see Wano for years, I’m sure you have too. There are many things in Wano linked to One Piece and the Straw Hats. Pretty much everything has a link to Wano. Like in this flashback we already see that Denjiro has Wado Ichimonji on his back, we have a chance to learn about Zoro background. That is something many readers have been curious about for years. We get a flashback with a prominent member of Rogers crew. That is significant. Many readers are interested in Wano not just because of “fights durr”. I know Oda has skipped a few fight scenes and it could be frustrating, but if only read this for fights and drama every chapter better to just read or watch Dragon Ball.

How is he ruining his pacing? The act is completed and a new one just started. Unlike you, people are just enjoying the ride, I’m not in a rush just to read some fight scenes every week. And remember Wano is a country blocked off from others, this is something like 40 years ago. So the comments about White Boars are realistic. This is OP and the Boar is the size of a mountain hence “mountain god”. If you saw a capital crushing boar the size of a mountain, you’d probably call it something even crazier. Also remember this is a manga with giants, devil fruits and talking animals and many other crazy things. So how could you call them stupid?

OP has its critiques, but you are just fishing for things to hate on. Oda doesn’t care about Western Society opinion on clothes. This is a Japanese manga. He is wearing old Japanese attire, you are from the West but read manga so why do you care so much about his clothes? Just to let you know, not everyone around the world dresses like a they are from the West. This is 40 years ago flashback. As for his hair, yeah it is goofy looking and I’m sure Oda did that on purpose just like he does for many goofy looking characters in this series. Not going to tell you how you should think about a character design but it seems you are just mad he doesn’t have thin nose and boring hair style. Not everyone has to have a thin nose and typical anime face. You just hate on everything you can find to hate on, don’t you?

Funny we finally get to see Wano and perhaps get more info on the void century, the actual One Piece and many important things that have been lingering on in the series and you just complain we don’t get to see a big fight. For someone who has read this for so long, isn’t that a bit dense?

No I have not been waiting for wano for years... both wano and elbaf oda never gave me a reason to care about besides... how would you put it? "Duurrr they have giants and samurai"

Did you stop reading what I wrote half way through? I said I like more than just the fights.....

But the fights are clearly and indisputably being cut short. Oda even admitted to thay in an interview. Now I have been reading op long enough to remember when sanji zoro and luffy would all get fights worth reading. In the last 3 arc only luffy got a fight worth reading.
Now this may come as a surprise to you. But OP is an action adventure manga. It isnt a thriller like death note. If oda wants to write a thriller that is 100% fine but it isnt OP. So you dare criticize me for wanting action in my action adventure manga? I am sure for your next brilliant observation you will chastise your 1 friend for not liking the 1st season of the office because it isnt funny. "Oh you want humor in your comedies? Lol you are just a critic"
YES, I do want action in my action adventure manga.

I am fine getting lore. I like some of the lore. I do NOT want that lore in flashback form. Believe it or not.... it is possible to get lore without taking 5 chapters to show a man in a skirt fighting a bore. Remember 3 chapters ago when sengoku sat down and told the marines a story? That is a way to get lore, that was really cool.

Ya I clearly dont read or watch just for the fight scenes because there isnt nearly enough to keep me entertained...

Ok. So. Now own to your substantive comments.
1 how is he ruining his pacing.... oh I dont freaking know... maybe because he did something like this
3 chapters ago- It is time to attack kiadou let's go!!!!!
2 chapters ago- oh no the boats were destroyed in a vicious attack last night, want to see how it happened?
1 chapter ago- oh but before we can see any of that here is a man in a skirt.

So over the course of 3 chapters we went from going to attack wano, to skirt man flashbacks. If that isnt a break in pacing I dont know what is...

Ok as for the boar. 1st the fact they are cut off from the world has zero to do with my comment. The child knew that the boar was not a god and just an adult boar. This has nothing to do with the outside world and everything to do with 3 thiefs not knowing the "moving mountain" was a boar parent. Also o-tsuro should have know.

Bring it to real life. If someone said to you "hey look at this baby mammal fish I caught it from the ocean, when I did I saw the whole ocean move"
You....as long as you are not a moron would respond
"The whole ocean? Ya that looks like a blue whale, its parent is huge, you probably saw its mother moving, whales are very protective of their young"

And believe it or not, in the real world we had lizards the size of vehicles. No one ever called them gods.

I am fishing for things to criticize? Every time I mention the character's appearance I acknowledge that Japan is different.... you are clearly not from Japan because you would know they adore western style to the point thay they actually have an award for "best jeanist" to the celebrity who wears Jean's the best..... ya so history says Japan does care about western style.

Regardless, I think men wearing skirts SHOULD be universally lame in all cultures. And even if they are old style clothes... well today skirts in men are lame so maybe put him in less accurate historic clothes. In the west historically we had these weird turn of the century clothes with a bunch of frills that look really silly, do you know how often we put tough manly "overwhelming men" in those clothes? Almost never.

Thin nose? I havent criticized oden's nose. Are you talking about my comments about Robin's nose? Lol clearly I struck a nerve... but you prove my point. You say "not everyone needs an anime nose" "anime nose" so you recognize the fact that there is typically a standard nose in anime. That "anime nose" exists because it is the most aesthetic and proper way to draw a nose. That is why most main characters have it. (Because no one wants an ugly main character) so the fact oda purposefully deviated from the standard opens himself to criticism. You hold yourself out as unique people will comment on it... this is common sense....

Also nearly every non main character man in this arc has a ridiculous nose and I havent mentioned any of those... look at hawkins...

But none of that matters. Because you are an absolute moron. You stated this entire post by saying "I doubt oda cares about your critique"
Are you that delusional that you think I think that? Are you seriously so stupid that you are sitting behind your keyboard thinking "lol this guy doesnt understand that oda doesnt care hahahaha I am going to tell him!!!!"
Well....ummm.... thanks? Now you can get back to telling 40 year olds that wrestling is fake!
Here is a news flash. Not only does oda not care what I have to say. The man sometimes doesnt even care what his own editors have to say.
I am under no delusion that talking about what I like and dont like on an old manga forum will in any way influence oda.... the fact you think I believe that is insulting beyond reason.

Come on guys, this wasn't as bad as that. Kinda slow, but that's how all flashbacks start.
We'll only have to witness:
- Oden meeting the Red Sheats,
- Oden meeting his wife,
- the introduction of Orochi and his planning with Kaido,
- Oden trying to install peace,
- Oden being killed, and the coup by Orochi
- and Momo being sent to the present.

I mean, how long can that take? (Fight against Kaido will only start at chapter 1000, still calling it!)

Also, since it was stated in this chapter that Oden failed to set sail once again, are we to assume that this happened PRIOR to Oden meeting Roger?

You forgot to mention the adult white boar fight. Oh wait sorry that is a fight and this is OP, so it will be off screened.

Wow.... should I be angry a fight is off screened or should I be happy the flashback will be shorter? I am so conflicted...

This series has been around since the 90’s. There are many mysteries that need to be shown. There are more important things than fights. If you want instant gratification and drama from action scenes, go read a manga for 12 year olds. Or go watch the Avengers or something. Fights don’t give us the information that we need as readers. One Piece is a long series and it’s a long process. Oda isn’t going to throw his masterpiece out the window for a few cheap action scenes. Just to please casual readers who don’t even support the series financially, even though they have the means to. Sure it’s been frustrating having a few scenes skipped over, but overall I’m not going to complain to much. If Oda gives us a few answers to things we’ve been waiting to see and know for literally years.

This is clearly inductive of a lack of creativity on your own part, or you are the type of person who dreams of having his lips surgically attached to Oda's rear end... not sure which.

Here I am going to say something crazy.

Oda can do.... BOTH!!!!! he can have fights worth reading AND give us lore.

You know how I know he can do that? BECAUSE THATS WHAT HE DID FOR THE FIRST 500 CHAPTERS OF OP!

So get out of here with that "oda can either tell a good story or have fights he cant do both" nonsense.
  • PunkHazard likes this

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users