• Chillman likes this

#22 masterbio

masterbio

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:25 PM

What? Oden was protecting everyone after all? So unpredictable.

I like Oden, but he was naive and stupid, and those things led to his death. However, before that flashbacks I thought that Oden had died on the assault on his castle, when it gets supposedly burned and Toki sends Momo to the future. I don't know where this idea came from, but due to it I always had the feeling that Oden deserved a fighting death, not a public embarrassment.

Now the only thing that will resolve this arc for me is a clear, unambiguous panel of Orochi's death. Not like that slice/punch moment where he gets KO'ed, like Croc, Enel, Lucci, etc... Pure, final, death.

Same for Kaido, but his carefree personality makes him kinda cool tbh

#23 Enbima

Enbima

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts
  • LocationGourmet World

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:12 PM

He still hopes that Kaido keeps his promise after this kind of punishment...lol

What I dont get: His chains broke somehow, he was free, he could have freed all the scabbards and fight to death, one last time.

Sorry but Oden is really a fool.

Edited by Enbima, 16 February 2020 - 06:23 PM.

To be effective In combat, a warrior must not feel for his enemy. Close your heart to their desperation. Close your heart for their suffering. The road ahead is long and unforgiving. No place for a boy. You must be a warrior.

- Goku to Gohan.

stop dreaming

#24 gametaka

gametaka

The Prophet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Locationplace of longest yard.

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:28 AM

I know Orochi endgame is by being arrested by momonosuke after Kaido left the island after defeated by luffy.

Edited by gametaka, 17 February 2020 - 03:33 AM.

Spoiler spoiler for everything

[/spoiler]

#25 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:35 AM

1. You can see Oden's leg how it's bleeding and there's nothing that shows he's using haki to destroy oil around him so oil is making direct contact to Oden. Not to mention all that heat Oden has to endure.

...Yeah, so? Like I said either plot or Oden simply is incapable of using that level of CoA.

2. Shanks used sword as a "shield" when blocked Akainu's lava fist when he tried kill Coby and it did make direct contact so Shanks didn't use advanced haki to block it (chp 579). He didn't make direct contact with his body and it only lasted few seconds. What would have happened if Shanks had used his hand to block it instead?

... you don’t see the point of contact? Compare to when Marco blocked it there’s no splashing of magma. Also you think boiling oil’s heat would still affect people even when they use advanced CoA to avoid direct contact yet take it for granted that the much-hotter magma would not do the same just because a sword is in between?

3. WB was a monster. He was old, had health problems and still managed to survive all kinds of attacks during the war and he didn't even scream when Akainu burned his face. Oden is healthy man when he had to go into boiling oil. WB > Oden when comes to pain tolerance

His bisento lol. Not his body

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#26 Zeta42

Zeta42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:36 AM

So Oden briefly clashed with Kaido between his attempt on Orochi's life and naked dancing? And that was when Kaido realized Oden could've beaten him? That was quite an important thing to offpanel and then briefly show in one small panel. It also doesn't make sense to me, if that's how it really happened.

If Oden really cared about those hostages so much, he should've danced once and led an attack on Kaido immediately afterwards. I should've known only the Roger-Whitebeard parts of this flashback would be good. And still not a peep from Toki about the Void Century...

#27 Strobacaxi

Strobacaxi

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:15 PM

And that was when Kaido realized Oden could've beaten him?

Kaidou only said that Oden could get the country behind him and Kaidou didn't have an army to deal with that. He needed to make Oden look like a fool so the country wouldn't rally behind him. I doubt he ever thought he would lose against Oden 1v1

• Chillman likes this

tumblr_mg4t7olJvZ1s2x1ggo1_500.png

#28 Oben

Oben

Reforged ♪~

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,130 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:10 PM

Kaidou only said that Oden could get the country behind him and Kaidou didn't have an army to deal with that. He needed to make Oden look like a fool so the country wouldn't rally behind him. I doubt he ever thought he would lose against Oden 1v1

There's no reason for Kaidou not to be cautious though. Oden just hopped off the Pirate King's ship, and given his statistics, Kaidou probably suffered defeats before this. It's also two years before his strength was rivaled by Moria ^^

#29 Shin

Shin

Ultimate Survivor

• Moderators
  • 2,180 posts
  • LocationUnder a bridge

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:24 PM

Not sure who the traitor is. Toki being the traitor would at least make her character more interesting I guess. I really expected a lot more from her in this flashback, but she has been maybe a bigger disappointment than Oden. All the stuff outside of Wano with Oden was great, so I don't think he is a complete disappointment, but Toki has been such a let down so far. The flashback is nearing its end and we had this character that has maybe one of the most unique fruits in the whole series by being able to time travel and is also from the void century, but even right up to Oden's death she has been so inconsequential to the plot and story. I really expected a lot more from her. 

And we finally get the full reason why Oden didn't act in 5 years. Like some others here I don't really feel completely satisfied with the answer. I still feel like he made the wrong decision and that choice lead to his death, the death of countless people over 20 years, and the death and hardships of his immediate family. So I can't help but kind of blame him some for the situation. Him expecting Kaidou to leave after 5 years was just dumb. Oden should have been willing to make sacrifices for his country, but we've all gone into enough detail about that already the last handful of chapters. It does feel a bit like Oda didn't know how to line up the timeline he created and had to have Oden waste 5 years get everything to match and fall in line, but I dunno. 

At least the visual of Oden in the boiling pot holding up his retainers is pretty cool. Despite my disappointment with Oden he does have his moments. I guess he doesn't really know how to use haki given none of his body is coated in CoA. Surprised he didn't learn it when he was traveling. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users