• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#181 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,414 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:08 AM

The author gets 40 pages, and he decided to make 2*20 to keep the WSJ pacing.

What's wrong with making a 40-page chapter? The pacing would be the same, the only adjustment is the few pages in the middle probably need to be drawn differently for better flow :shrug:

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#182 Oben

Oben

Reforged ♪~

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

User's Awards

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:55 AM

What's wrong with making a 40-page chapter? The pacing would be the same, the only adjustment is the few pages in the middle probably need to be drawn differently for better flow :shrug:

I'd guess so that the volumes keep looking the same, at least for a transition period? It also changes cliffhangers, that might matter too.

#183 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:17 AM

Chapters titles are wierd enougjt

You really care if it 2 20 pages or 1 40 page?

#184 YyAoMmIi

YyAoMmIi

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:23 PM

https://www.viz.com/...590?action=read

https://www.viz.com/...591?action=read

Hi Gandhi

#185 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:37 AM

Due to recent features on the Shonen Jump Plus and Mangaplus sites, and hearsay about its tactical writing, I binged this series some time ago

They were not kidding. I cannot praise the Trigger system enough, it's such a cool and clever fighting system that rewards experience, creativity and hard work.

But first, I must make special mention to the B Class Rank Wars. Because it forces everyone to pick and choose from the same arsenal (as opposed to introducing new weaponry out of nowhere), it finally proved just how versatile the system's been designed. The way that two people can equip the same Trigger but use it very differently, plus the different loadout mixes, makes it so entertaining.

Not to mention, with this setup, fighters aren't differentiated by strength (most of the time) or better superpowers, and instead by skill, experience, creativity and resourcefulness. In that respect, it's similar to Alchemy from Fullmetal Alchemist, or the Magic Plate system from old Mx0 (but with a tighter arsenal), both of which I also love.

Add other spices like formations, teamwork, terrains, mutual-scheming and the freedom to inflict injuries as heavily as one likes, and you have a series that's full of wonderful, tactical, intellectually-nutritional fun. I've never seen a fandom more eager to speculate on strategy and weapon loadouts, like it's all some kind of video game or e-sport.

---

Ashihara-sensei may have taken the risk of spending the first 40 or so chapters building up the premise, but it all paid off in depicting Border as a pretty cool organisation. For all its internal discord, at the end of the day all members are competent in their respective fields and are united in their desire to defend Mikado City.

There's also such a sense of community with the fighters too. One day the members execute well-crafted plans in hopes of killing each other, the next they fight side by side to repel enemy threats (as demonstrated by the Galopoula invasion), or otherwise have a dinner together as though they've just finished a sports match. It makes Border so cozy.

And of course, I love seeing Tamakoma-2 steadily become a potent fighting force. Osamu's gradual development warms my heart, Chika is humourously overpowered, and Yuma's sheer creativity with just the Border Triggers is so entertaining (his style of Scorpion and Grasshopper is plain mean). Add in Hyuse with Viper and Escudo, and you have a team full of fun. I do want to see how the present them will fare against Neighbours forces though...

While it's a pity that so many factors kept the series from being more popular than it could've been, I'm just glad that Ashihara-sensei can take things easier while still maintaining quality

Author of the Sket Dan Helpers blog, come visit if you can!

http://sketdanhelpers.wordpress.com/

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

http://ansatsu-database.tumblr.com

#186 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

I have to agree in that the best parts of this series involve someone busting out some absurdly creative way to use a seemingly innocuous trigger that was established a long time ago. Which is all of the time, really. I mean, the manga makes it look easy, but the thought of spending over 10 volumes in a story about climbing the ranks in a fighting tournament without power ups or training arcs is just baffling to me. 

The Escudo shenanigans are probably my favorite. God, I could gush about Escudo for hours. It's like a Jojo power that nobody knew they had. The image of watching Hyuse touch the ground expecting a shield to appear-- just to get hit by a flying car right after instead, will be forever burned into my mind.

samisig.jpg

#187 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:07 AM

I have to agree in that the best parts of this series involve someone busting out some absurdly creative way to use a seemingly innocuous trigger that was established a long time ago. Which is all of the time, really. I mean, the manga makes it look easy, but the thought of spending over 10 volumes in a story about climbing the ranks in a fighting tournament without power ups or training arcs is just baffling to me. 

The Escudo shenanigans are probably my favorite. God, I could gush about Escudo for hours. It's like a Jojo power that nobody knew they had. The image of watching Hyuse touch the ground expecting a shield to appear-- just to get hit by a flying car right after instead, will be forever burned into my mind.

That's the magic of the Rank Wars: it took me a while to realise that we're in a tournament arc of sorts, and it didn't prove a detriment at all. Perhaps it's because the whole thing is presented like something out of a sports manga rather than a battle manga, or perhaps it seamlessly incorporates the function of a training arc without the extra bloat, but this is probably the most cozy tournament arc ever. 
It's astounding that we can go through 8 rounds without necessarily feeling it overstayed its welcome. Might be because the exact outcome of the battle is unpredictable, or that it's a testament to how much Ashihara-sensei managed to get the fanbase to invest in the tactical writing and join in the conversation.

But 8 rounds is enough. I want to see Tamakoma-2 in the field against Neighbour forces again. I want to see how effective/ineffective their Wire Formation would be, and how they would further tweak it.

---

Indeed, nothing brings me more joy than to see benign tools used in the most imaginative and creative ways.
  • Scorpion appeared to be a fragile shapeshifting blade that you can store in your body, but masters treat it like an all-purpose tool
  • Grasshopper seemed like a mere jumping platform, but masters treat it like pseudo-telekinesis, as demonstrated by Yuma in Rounds 5 and 6
  • Escudo seemed like simple stationary bulky shields, but masters can use it to outright terraform the battlefield itself, as though it's Earthbending (Hyuse's mass summoning kind of proves Chika's concerns about accusations of unfairness actually)
I must say, I enjoy seeing Yuma and Hyuse using Border Triggers more than their own ones. Seeing them fight with the same tools as everyone else really helps to highlight they deserve to be treated as top class because they have so much skill and experience.

But man, how is Round 8 going to turn out? Would be optimal for Yuba to take out Inukai, because I can't see the Wire Formation holding out against a near-full health Ninomiya Squad

Owner of the Ansatsu Database blog, with information on our favourite middle school assassins:

#188 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:38 AM

Ch 191

https://mangaplus.sh.../viewer/1006206

Pity that it's only one chapter this month, but it's so good nonetheless

#189 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:10 PM

To be honest, I kind of expected Chika to snap and beat everyone into a pulp at some point during the match, specially after Hyuse lost, but I guess it was never going to be that easy. If the manga wants to end this whole tournament thing without loose ends, Tamakoma 2 has to beat Ninomiya squad fair and square. Heavy quotes on "fair and square", but you know what I mean. 3v3, no cheat powers, Fox only, Final Destination.

With that said, I'm still waiting for Chika's arc to reach some kind of closure, but that's just something I've been expecting since the beginning of the series, so I'm not keeping my hopes up.

samisig.jpg

#190 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:48 AM

https://mangaplus.sh.../viewer/1006207

To be honest, I kind of expected Chika to snap and beat everyone into a pulp at some point during the match, specially after Hyuse lost, but I guess it was never going to be that easy. If the manga wants to end this whole tournament thing without loose ends, Tamakoma 2 has to beat Ninomiya squad fair and square. Heavy quotes on "fair and square", but you know what I mean. 3v3, no cheat powers, Fox only, Final Destination.

With that said, I'm still waiting for Chika's arc to reach some kind of closure, but that's just something I've been expecting since the beginning of the series, so I'm not keeping my hopes up.

I'm certain that the build-up with Chika will amount to something next month (assuming 2 chapters)

But man, I was hoping it wouldn't come to a 3v3 since that's the toughest scenario for Tamakoma-2 to contend with. Based on the dialogue setup laden in all the commentary, the resolution will at least have the following happen:

1. Yuma's Scorpion Shuriken trick will probably show up once more, since commentary on this is left to later
  2. Osamu will take advantage of Ninomiya's emotions somehow, as per his pre-match preparations
  3. I'm assuming that the explanation on Hound will benefit Tamakoma somehow, so Chika will still do something with Hound, alongside the Lightning she just conjured

Would be cool if Chika laid down a Hound cube somewhere else before getting into sniper position though

#191 Saiyan5nine-tails

Saiyan5nine-tails

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:36 PM

Chapters 194 and 195 are out on Viz Shounen Jump:

Spoiler

Bleach - Beyond the Pages

Visit the above blog for weekly updates of Bleach chapter reviews.

"On the Second Day,
The Beast Awakens,
With its single fang,
It swallows the falling star"
--------------------------
[B][CENTER]A bond that transcends their feelings and lies; the willingness to put aside differences for the other's safety; an undying respect and caring for each other. Black and White; Yin and Yang; Shinigami and Quincy.

Kurosaki Ichigo and Ishida Uryu

#192 gamria

gamria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:59 AM

Chapter 194 - 195

Going into this month, my mental checklist was as follows:

1. After Yuma was defeated by Ninomiya in Round 4, it wouldn't be like him to let the match end before he got at least a potshot. Might he participate in the final confrontation? (Ch 115)
  2. With Osamu wanting to bait a one-on-one with Ninomiya, it has to happen at some point (Ch 183)
  3. To get info from Ninomiya about Rinji and Hatohara, Osamu and Chika need to impress him in battle. So for all the attention on Tamakoma-2 only needing 2 more points, there's no way he would be impressed if they avoided battle with him. And it would go towards ending all the enmity between them too.
    Judging by Ashihara-sensei's writing style, moderate chances of happening and succeeding (Ch 178)
  4. Following on (3), if they do succeed in taking down Ninomiya, then the survival points are within reach. Meaning, more than 4 points for sure, 7 points is definitely within reach afterwards (Ch 175)
  5. After his bailout, Hyuse urged Chika to protect Osamu and Yuma in his stead, so it's bound to happen in this match. I just couldn't for the life of me figure out how the scenario will play out, beyond Chika using live ammo (Ch 189)
  6. Yuma's Scorpion Shuriken trick left unexplained (Ch 192) 
  7. Hound exposition from Ch 193 will be relevant in the final confrontation (Ch 193)

Thank you Ashihara-sensei for addressing pretty much all of them in a satisfactory manner

---

Yuma calling out Ninomiya's lie is amazing. It's saying something that Osamu is considered a threat by so many veterans at Border (Azuma, Ouji, etc.)

As predicted last month, Chika had the regular Lightning merely because activating Lead Bullet will turn off her Bagworm. I had a feeling she was going to use a Lead Bullet as usual to infuriate Ninomiya, but I couldn't imagine what happens next.

(5) was finally addressed with Chika shooting to protect Osamu, that's our girl. And in a reversal of her failed shot in Round 4 too.

Judging by her lack of Bagworm when Inukai arrived, she really was too shaken. Ah well, we can let her absorb it all while it's still effectively a practice battle.

---

The final confrontation with Ninomiya was amazing. That exposed window with two cubes ready and distraction from Tsuji's bailout, and Osamu going all in with a concealed Hound.

Thus far in this match, Osamu hadn't taken out his Raygust at all, so I was wondering if he switched it out for another Trigger for this match. But then that got disproven with him taking it out in Ch 194.
And then with the "we won" page, I thought "he did get a new Trigger! Is it a Viper!?" But no, it was a Hound! The foreshadowing from (7) wasn't for Chika, it was for Osamu!

The mad man actually foregone Asteroid for Hound, a Trigger that provides even less firepower, and managed to assassinated the #1 Shooter with it! This felt like a historical triumphant sport moment.

I'm actually pleased that Ashihara-sensei can mess with overanalytical types like me. I had noticed last month that Osamu oddly didn't shout/think "Asteroid!" when he shot at Inukai, but I failed to think more about that.

As a bonus, Yuma got his payback against Ninomiya too. (1), (2) and (3) addressed.

---

Next month will be the final post-match commentary, the final score count, and possibly the infamous post-season B Rank Captain's meeting. I so want to see what'll be said (and have (6) addressed maybe?)

I can't believe Inukai voluntarily bailed out, so that Tamakoma-2 earns 6 points instead of 7. This puts them at 42 points (36 + 6).

From Ch 175 and 184, Kageura Squad has a final score of 39, yet pre-Round 8 Ninomiya Squad is still above them. Given that they were 37 pre-Round 7, I would estimate pre-Round 8 to be between 39 and 41.

With Ninomiya Squad scoring 3 points, their final score is at least 42 points, so they get to keep their B-1 Rank post-season. To put it into perspective, Inukai scoring the kill against Chika and bailing out afterwards guaranteed that Tamakoma-2 could not surpass them.

Still, Tamakoma-2 climbing from bottom 21st place to 2nd place in one single season, with the honour of besting B-1 in battle, is something they should be proud of, they totally earned it. Konami is going to be ecstatic and oh so smug next month =3=

#193 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:47 AM

No BS extra teammates or cheat powers, or even unreasonable trion reserves. In a 1 on 1 fight with no distractions, Tamakoma-2 beat the highest ranked team on Border. Granted, you could argue they had Batman's share of prep time against Ninomya, but so did everyone else, and I find it hard to believe that anyone was doing special anti-Tamakoma-2 simulations before the match. They all deserved to lose.

Anyways, it might not happen again in the near future, but I'm glad Chika's buildup finally paid off after god knows how many years. If any kind of romantic development comes out of this, I will admit this entire Battle-royale subquest was worth it beyond showing off the mangaka's ability to blow my mind with nothing but a box of scraps and a positive attitude.

Edited by Athos, 04 April 2020 - 09:48 AM.

samisig.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users