#21 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

Sorry, I misinterpreted the question.

Favorite scene? Yeah... it's exactly the one you said. Damn insert songs...

I only secured a few quotes from that game for my personal notebook. All of them come from the two guys' comedy routine at school, so there's a good chance most of the credit goes to the translators. Kudos if you can remember where this one's from:

"...but then, Eiichi's prayer to the goddess of convenient literary devices was answered a second time..."

Oh, and who's Houzuki, you ask? Well...! He's only the biggest reason why you should play Sharin no Kuni next.

Edited by Athos, 16 December 2012 - 07:50 AM.

samisig.jpg

#22 itano123

itano123

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • Locationin the middle of bloodshed, tainted crimson

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

i have only started playing VNs again after some time (screw macs) and only remember a few good ones i have played from the top of my head.... I only first started VNs for the H-senes but soon learnt there was more to them than that.... i am also not an expert on them

Muv Luv series: first its a not so unique slice of life (still good) then it turns into a awesome game with mechas and hot female pilots....i had a lot of fun with it.... and WHY did one of my fav characters only have a bad end

Demonbane: well this did hurt my head a bit with all the information being forced fed to you near the end of it, screw you Lovecraft.... but it has a 1000 year old loli so it's all ok  :P but i loved this

katawa shoujo: i was sketchy of this one at first because i only had the information from when they first started releasing info about it.... but after playing it i loved it.... and i cried so much playing it

Monster girl quest: i did the same thing as Raiden in this

Koihime Musou: after playing this i realised i am a pervert and i can not deny it any more.... but i had fun with the strategy games in it and the story was good as well, and i liked Shion the most... this is probably one of my favs (my avatar is the MC)

Kira (star) Kira: this was pretty good and i think it was like the 5th VN i ever played... only remember the cross dressing MC and the band..... and the girls as well

and i also played kira*kira on my ipod while i was bored 

i have played a lot more but i can not access my old computer to get them and i will forever forget them

....i may have played ever 17....just maybe

and i did play some of Kara no Shoujo as was suggested by Sana.....god it was gruesomely good with no actual good ending.... and the cannibalism 

i have also played all of Keys works that are in english.....i cry EVERY time....and screw Tomoyo after the good ending is still sad

Edited by itano123, 16 December 2012 - 08:54 AM.

• Raiden likes this

kizunasigsupah_zpsdce21450.png
credit goes to Raijuu for combining a fav char with a fav drink 

"all of itano's characters have at least one mental disorder. Even if it's not literally a mental disorder; itano takes it to extremes which practically functions as a mental disorder."

Wise words by wise women.... and a not so wise man

Spoiler

#23 KLGChaos

KLGChaos

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  • LocationPurgatory

User's Awards

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

I've only played Clannad and Shuffle! Both were decent, but I think I'd rather just watch the animes.. Lol. Only thing I really found them good for was seeing an ending with your favorite girl.

Edited by KLGChaos, 16 December 2012 - 02:56 PM.

fallout3_dogmeat_zpsjyrxypvn.jpg?t=14248

"You can run from all the memories, but no matter how far... in the end they'll find you, for this is who you are."

#24 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

~ Spider Lady - Kiri's Wife ~ Professional Cuddle Bug

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,918 posts

User's Awards

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Does Katawa Shojo count as one? Cause I've played that. 3:

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

#25 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Why, of course it does!

...is what I'd like to say, but I'm not sure myself. I mean, is it a Visual Novel because there's a plot...? And if it isn't, does that make it a Gal Game? There is not a whole lot of dating on that one, really. And even if there was, aren't gal games still a subcategory from visual novels? It's on the database, so... does that make it a visual novel?

And yeah... I... wouldn't recommend anyone to play a VN or read a light novel when there's already a proper adaptation for it. But that is not to say that there have not been terrible... terrible crimes against the source material in the world. I'm sure TYPE MOON fans can tell you all about that.

Edited by Athos, 16 December 2012 - 03:40 PM.

• itano123 likes this

samisig.jpg

#26 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Oh yes, yes I can XD I generally read the VNs for that simple reason alone, I don't want to think something is as bad as the FSN anime was when it's actually really good in the VN form, only thing I've found better in the anime form as opposed to VN so far has to be Steins; Gate, oh and I'd say that if Blazblue counts as a visual novel then there's no way that Katawa Shoujo doesn't. Oh and Athos is that quote from the Yuki scene? (like when she joins school) sorry though, again I've already started Tsukihime so I'm going to play that before anything else unless I find it to be utterly terrible.

oh and itano, I'm pretty sure that you'd remember E17 if you'd played it (or at least all the way, the start can be forgetable I'll admit)

iyzTKCh.jpg

“I promised, remember? I said I would save you even if it meant fighting the entire world.” “Yes…you did.”

Othinus narrowed her eye as the boy held her in his arms. She looked happy. She looked truly happy.

“But you don’t have to worry. I was already saved from the moment you said that to me.”

#27 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Yeah... that's from Yuki's introduction. Pretty good.

By the way, even though there's no anime, I thought the Tsukihime manga was actually better than the VN in pretty much every way. It only covers the first route, though.

samisig.jpg

#28 Raiden

Raiden

That Zoro Fan Dude

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • LocationA really dark Pit...

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

I've only played Clannad and Shuffle! Both were decent, but I think I'd rather just watch the animes.. Lol. Only thing I really found them good for was seeing an ending with your favorite girl.

oh yeah Shuffle! That one I palyed too! ^^ was decent like you said had too less choices for my taste.

Oh and I also played Cosplay Fetish Academy xD it's actually quite hilarious^^ maybe you should try it out^^ (talkign to everyone)

President and Founder of the Roronoa Zoro Fanclub

9958384cd25b54e19f67b0e862a0d3b6.jpg

Spoiler

#29 Sanagami

Sanagami

Rightful SOT Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

Well, I finished all the routes of Sharin, and Man, I thought my Harem ending would this orgy/ero scene....

What's this disappointing picture thing I get...

Like, I am pretty disappointed

>_>

hm I am not a VN expert but I played soem of them (though I have to admit all of them were H-Games ^^'' Yeah I'm a little pervert inside)

From what you mentioned here and there I played:

Kara no Shoujo: without help I only get to the bad endings here -.-' I emntioned I'm not the expert VN player? :P

Monster quest: only game where I TRY to loose in monster fights xD

Sengoku Rance Omg such an awesome game :D I was rliterally addicted to it for several months and still have it installed on my external hard drive^^ Also the 2nd Rance game got a HD remake (has now graphics of Sengoku Rance) , maybe it's wortt taking a look^^ though it's more like a RPG than anythingelse (and has really few H-scenes compared to sengoku rance :P)

soemother I played that I didn't find you mentioning:

Chain: That was pretty cool, story-wise and it has animated H-scenes^^ :D :P

Bible Black: Really great graphic and a lot of choices to do here, though could be a bit... disturbing at times...

Discipline: Same graphics as Bible Black and also a lot of choices (and also a lot of H-scenes)

Secretes Wives Club: Oh well what should I say, the whole story resolves around havign sex... I'm a pevert :P xD

Koihime Musou: Has some strategy battles in it (which you can skip in 2nd+ playthrough), so the story was not that interesting, at least to me. Thoug hagain a lot of unlockable scenes, where yo uneed several playthroughs to see them all

My very first VN was Snow Drop (or something like that, does there ring a bell?). It was quite nice and simple. lovey-dovey story with a few H-scenes^^

Nice to you to have joined us, but Srsly, I use walkthroughs for each of my games, even the freaking Hanabira ones >_>

I do have one question though, I've been trying to find Discipline's translated version of the first set

I mean Discpline LS, because that's the prequel right? D:

but I from what I can tell, there hasn't been a translation done for it.

Unless you can read Japanese D:

And its a good thing to know that there are tons of people who are enjoying this Monster Quest Eroge/Rape Fest......Cause now I'm feeling less and less guilty everyday playing it.

Its still extremely hard to reccomend to people though >_>

/stuck with repeatedly showing that picture of the Vampire loli.

I've gone over this, but whether I like an ending or not is just a matter of personal taste.

If I had to rank them, my least favorite kind of ending would be the No Ending. More specifically, the kind that purpousely leaves you hanging with tons of loose threads and absolutely no intention to make a sequel, specially the ones intended to promote a different medium ("read the book!").

After that there's the Bad Ending, which I don't hate, but I don't like either. Maybe some people enjoy feeling sad (don't ask me how that works), but I want SOME amount of satisfaction after going through such a long story.

Then there's the Good Ending, which is kind of tricky. I'm usually fine with those when there was never really much of a doubt the good guys are gonna win, so it's more about the build up and the grand finale rather than the actual outcome. I also like the ones where the protagonist was just that got damn clever, to the point that even I have to admit he deserves to win. Usually never happens, because most Good Endings are just so convenient that they feel like a cop out to me.

Finally there's my personal favorite, the Bitter Sweet ending. The protagonist puts in everything he's got, makes sacrifice after sacrifice, gives up on everything he holds dear, maybe even his life, but got dammit, he saves the girl. It's kind of like a good ending where you can clearly tell just how much he earned it. My favortie kind is the one where the story actually manages to convince you that all your efforts weren't in vain-- that even if things looks bleak, it's somehow gonna be ok.

If you really wanna know why I didn't like Muv Luv's ending,

Spoiler

Oh and it's not that I'm a fan of how SHAFT works, but it's more about how they keep picking series that I like. Mostly lots and lots of dialogue and witty banter.

And no, I'm not gonna tell you Spam. I'm afraid you'll have to run into it yourself. It's in my top 15, that's all I'm gonna say.

Spoiler

You didn't love Gonzou, Sana? He was such a boss though. He was legitimately amazing. Spamamadorf's rant on him is pretty good but even that doesn't do justice to his character. He was basically the Houzuki of G Senjou no Maou.

I don't love him, maybe a bit more then average,,,,,slightly like? D:

I had like zilch feelings for Gonzou till the last arc. I don't know 

But you can also blame Houzuki a bit for this

because the fact that I have this problem where I compare characters and if I like one less, I tend to like them even less.

What do you mean I have to run into it myself? XD I already played the entire thing (well except Shiratori's route but I really don't care all that much about her) so I've run into it I just don't know what it is
Spoiler

Wish I could say anything other than hi to you Raiden but I haven't really played any of those games myself XD

Thanks for the rant, it was an interesting read.

A Comment towards the beginning of your rant, I feel that what makes VNs different from most mediums is the not as exciting beginning parts. 

Cause then, you sort of have to "force" yourself to continue reading by finding something to attach to either the characters or the comedy or whatever.

But because you work yourself to it, whenever you get your epic endings, the enjoyment you get is enhanced 

because you realize, so it really was worth it.

And all that time you spent that felt a bit wasty wasn't really.

I mean, VNs could skip the slow beginnings but then everything would be a lot less........impactful .-.

I remember Athos commenting it on Fate/Stay Night and something else, but I think it applies to pretty much all my favorite VNs

Well, I'm pretty sure you all agree with me since you guys always hint it while posting

So this is more of my own personal realization of what makes VNs sometimes more enjoyable then movies/books.

Besides the fact that books never have epic BGM >_>

Haru was hilarious, I loved her jokes.

I also loved her character design and her hair too though >_>

Does Katawa Shojo count as one? Cause I've played that. 3:

I always think either this or Saya no Uta is the best VN to start with.

This because, no one ever seems to hate it

If I had to explain, I really can't....cause I don't know why either.

Maybe because it doesn't do anything badly?

Saya no Uta because its short and its decent enough to love. 

Katawa Shoujo was also the first VN I played. I think.

But I really can't say that this VN was the one that got me into playing them

Cause I didn't care for VNs even after playing KS.

Muv Luv is definitely the one that got me playing, but probably VNDB was the thing that gave me the spark to start.

That Huge Database, just looked so attractive ;W;

Edited by Sanagami, 17 December 2012 - 01:41 AM.

• Raiden likes this

tumblr_opz8jglokR1rofk73o1_400.png

Sana you're horrible, never change.

#30 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,661 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

If books had epic BGMs I'd die of happiness.
  • Spamamdorf likes this

#31 Riesbife

Riesbife

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

Well, then, for my post here:

I'm not an expert on visual novels either, most of the titles I played are relatively famous. I've only read as much as what my neighbor had introduced to me, and he moved away for college in the summer.

Anyways:

Saya no Uta was my first VN, but I ended up loving it enough that I read a whole bunch of Nitroplus VNs, including Demonbane, Togainu no Chi, Kikoukugai, and one of my personal favorites, Hanachirasu.

I've also been a humongous fan of Type-Moon, having picked up Tsukihime first, then Fate/Stay Night. I eagerly await the day where I can play Fate/Hollow Ataraxia and Mahoutsukai no Yoru.

I've only played one other VN from Akabeisoft2, ala G-Senjou no Maou, a fair bit of Sengoku Rance, and everyone's favorite indie, Katawa Shoujo.

As such, I have to ask: any recommendations?

Edited by Riesbife, 17 December 2012 - 01:42 AM.

#32 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,661 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

Sharin no Kuni if you liked G Senjou (most people do).

#33 Sanagami

Sanagami

Rightful SOT Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

and i did play some of Kara no Shoujo as was suggested by Sana.....god it was gruesomely good with no actual good ending.... and the cannibalism 

i have also played all of Keys works that are in english.....i cry EVERY time....and screw Tomoyo after the good ending is still sad

There are just waaaay too many endings. I'm so annoyed >_>.

But yeah, Its very interesting as it slowly unfolds. 

Though it could easily just be a regular serial killer sorta thing D:

At least the Touka has one of the best character designs in the whole world.

Edited by Sanagami, 17 December 2012 - 01:45 AM.

#34 Riesbife

Riesbife

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

I remember Sanagami mentioning that to me before. Righto, two people recommended that, must be great.

#35 Sanagami

Sanagami

Rightful SOT Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

You have to thank Athos for that.

He got DEW and me playing.

And For Cereal, you won't regret it.

But Of course, the only VN that I always want people to play is Muv Luv cause this VN Is just Like My Favorite thing ever ;W;

If books had epic BGMs I'd die of happiness.

I know D<

I always loved reading, but part of the reason why I started to use less of that medium was the music.

I mean, I love how books allow me to freely imagine my character designs, settings and all that unlike manga.

But I need my music D:

Edited by Sanagami, 17 December 2012 - 01:49 AM.

#36 DaEvilWithin

DaEvilWithin

What You Need

• Moderators
  • 12,661 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

Muv Luv is your favorite ever? Well, I guess I'll make more time for it then. *Shelves God Eater: Burst* I love movies and trailers because of their music. >_> Hans Zimmer in particular is amazing.

#37 itano123

itano123

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • Locationin the middle of bloodshed, tainted crimson

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

i am trying to play Sharin no kuni but every time i put in the patches where it tells me to put them it comes up with some blue system screen.... then when i take the patches out the game works fine.... WHY wont it work.....well looks like it's back to finish koihime then.....must unlock 100%.....only at about 90%

kizunasigsupah_zpsdce21450.png
credit goes to Raijuu for combining a fav char with a fav drink 

"all of itano's characters have at least one mental disorder. Even if it's not literally a mental disorder; itano takes it to extremes which practically functions as a mental disorder."

Wise words by wise women.... and a not so wise man

Spoiler

#38 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

Gah I was too slow to say that Ever17 is a good VN as a reccomendation to new guys, oh well, maybe after you do the other ones

iyzTKCh.jpg

“I promised, remember? I said I would save you even if it meant fighting the entire world.” “Yes…you did.”

Othinus narrowed her eye as the boy held her in his arms. She looked happy. She looked truly happy.

“But you don’t have to worry. I was already saved from the moment you said that to me.”

#39 Sanagami

Sanagami

Rightful SOT Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

Sorry Itano, Mine worked like a natural D:

So I can't really help you :C

But which patch are you using?

Muv Luv is your favorite ever? Well, I guess I'll make more time for it then. *Shelves God Eater: Burst* I love movies and trailers because of their music. >_> Hans Zimmer in particular is amazing.

Why else would I bug you about it repeatedly D:

Well, to be honest, maybe I haven't bugged you enough but man have I been tempted to everyday. >_>

I did think I made that clear though

I guess I haven't really had that many chances in talking about Muv Luv that much D:

Yeah, its my all time favorite VN and even with Extra/Unlimited dragging it down in some areas, Alternative still makes it my favorite in a subjective point of view.

The funny thing is though, I took more then 4 months to actually complete the whole thing,

Mainly it was because I wasn't used to the slow development thing that VNs do because it was my first VN

Its extremely tough as a VN for a first, for sure.

So that might have had a hand to even making me love Alternative even more (I finished Alternative in about 5 days I think)

Well, I almost decided to wait till I made a top 10 VN list myself before posting this rant

But I couldn't resist.

Plus, I just posted my little section about what made VNs special as a medium

and this goes pretty much hand in hand with it.

I recently came across a video from Muv Luv and I haven't stopped feeling emotional from it which is kind of messing up my daily life

The funny thing is, its just a scene and the music that plays with the scene

Spoiler major spoilers for Muv Luv, pls don't open if you haven't read it.

Forums being glitchy >_>

Keeps getting rid of my video...but I tired again .-.

Edited by Sanagami, 17 December 2012 - 02:53 AM.

• itano123 likes this

#40 Daiyusha

Daiyusha

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationLazy Club

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

Currently waiting for Majikoi A

Because Majikoi S was full of disappoint.

Except Benkei and Monshiro.

Posted Image

[color=rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Arial, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);](* >ω<)[/color]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users