#1 wingman32x

wingman32x

Ace Attorney

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:06 AM

Discuss the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise here.

There are four major YGO series: The original Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, and the newest series, Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal.

I'm watching GX for the first time right now, so I figured now would be a good time to make a thread for the anime side of things.

The original Yu-Gi-Oh! series is kind of legendary in both good and bad ways. It featured some of the most iconic cards in the entire series, and had a cast that is remembered by anybody who watched it. However, it was also infamous for terrible, almost hilarious dubbing. It also crapped all over the rules of the card game. Magic cards were played as trap cards, monsters had effects that weren't in the card game, among other things. Then there was the censorship involved in the english version. The infamous finger gun of doom :P.

Anyway, discuss any of the series here.

• Raiden likes this

#2 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts
  • LocationIn the House of Hades

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

I've tried watching the dub for the regular series on Nicktoons but I just can't stand it most of the time. Zexal is... Aweful. You would think YGO couldn't get any more campy but this one is pretty campy. Can't wait till Nick shows other YGO series

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#3 AndrewR5D4

AndrewR5D4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:12 AM

Yugioh 5Ds is my favorite sequel, because it shows what became of Domino City years later... Ironically the only character in 5ds that appeared before then was Tetsu Ushio, the Hall Monitor who picked on Yugi in the manga's first chapter.

I've tried watching the dub for the regular series on Nicktoons but I just can't stand it most of the time. Zexal is... Aweful. You would think YGO couldn't get any more campy but this one is pretty campy. Can't wait till Nick shows other YGO series

They air the original... Don't count on seeing GX or 5Ds, though. Neither was ever finished being dubbed, and both were cut short before the finish, anyway.

#4 wingman32x

wingman32x

Ace Attorney

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

NickToons has aquired the rights to GX and 5D's, in addition to OG YGO and Zexal, which they already have.

#5 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

Which can hopefully get the rest of those seasons dubbed, depending on how Konami and Co go about things.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#6 AndrewR5D4

AndrewR5D4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:17 AM

Which can hopefully get the rest of those seasons dubbed, depending on how Konami and Co go about things.

They cut the stories short in English during GX and 5Ds... I don't see why 4Kids would bother going back and dubbing the rest.

#7 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:21 AM

They cut the stories short in English during GX and 5Ds... I don't see why 4Kids would bother going back and dubbing the rest.

because 4KIds no longer holds the rights... Konami came in and took over and other 4kids properties were split between Saban

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#8 Sev

Sev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:23 AM

I never really got into any Yu-Gi-Oh after the original series, though I saw some of GX and seemed alright. Haven't even touched 5Ds or Zexal though, and Zexal looks terrible lol (I saw the dub trailer and wow that main character sounds annoying as hell). I recently downloaded (uhh... legally, of course) and started playing a GX game though because I had a craving to play the card game. XD

#9 AndrewR5D4

AndrewR5D4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:24 AM

because 4KIds no longer holds the rights... Konami came in and took over and other 4kids properties were split between Saban

Nice! Although I'm still guessing the company's still using the same voice team as 4Kids?

Speaking of which, the one thing I like about Zexal is that Goku (DBZ) plays the fat kid, and the girl is played by Belldandy (Ah! My Goddess).

#10 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:25 AM

Nice! Although I'm still guessing the company's still using the same voice team as 4Kids?

Speaking of which, the one thing I like about Zexal is that Goku (DBZ) plays the fat kid, and the girl is played by Belldandy (Ah! My Goddess).

Not sure if they plan on redoing things or not, it may depend on if they view there being any money in redubbing with less censoring etc.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#11 AndrewR5D4

AndrewR5D4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:28 AM

I never really got into any Yu-Gi-Oh after the original series, though I saw some of GX and seemed alright. Haven't even touched 5Ds or Zexal though, and Zexal looks terrible lol (I saw the dub trailer and wow that main character sounds annoying as hell). I recently downloaded (uhh... legally, of course) and started playing a GX game though because I had a craving to play the card game. xD

5Ds has a good plot. By that point in the timeline, an old enegy reactor at Kaiba Corp reduced half of the city to a wasteland, while the new reactor powers he other half... The former became a slum/labor camp known as the Satellite, while the latter became Neo Domino City. This resulted the people living in Satellite to be isolated from the rest of the world and used as impoverished laborers, while everyone else lived like kings in the rest of the city.

#12 wingman32x

wingman32x

Ace Attorney

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:39 AM

I never really got into any Yu-Gi-Oh after the original series, though I saw some of GX and seemed alright. Haven't even touched 5Ds or Zexal though, and Zexal looks terrible lol (I saw the dub trailer and wow that main character sounds annoying as hell). I recently downloaded (uhh... legally, of course) and started playing a GX game though because I had a craving to play the card game. xD

I still have a copy of Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel for the GBA that I still play regularly. It takes place during the battle city arc of the anime, which was right around the peak of when I played the card game. Whenever I get the itch to duel I fire it up. It's much cheaper than buying cards again lol.

• Vl731 likes this

#13 AndrewR5D4

AndrewR5D4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:41 AM

I still have a copy of Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel for the GBA that I still play regularly. It takes place during the battle city arc of the anime, which was right around the peak of when I played the card game. Whenever I get the itch to duel I fire it up. It's much cheaper than buying cards again lol.

The cards that were around back then are worthless compared to the crazy powerful ones they have now. It's not like you could win with older cards, anyway...

#14 wingman32x

wingman32x

Ace Attorney

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:47 AM

The cards that were around back then are worthless compared to the crazy powerful ones they have now. It's not like you could win with older cards, anyway...

Yeah, all those new fangled Xyz and Syncro-whatzits.

I used to use a lot of trap cards when I played. Most people's favorite card tends to be a monster, but not mine. My favorite YGO card ever is Magic Cylinder. I LOVED that card so damn much. So many idiots walked right into it. Protip: If I don't put a monster card down, and have one face down card on the field, that's usally a sign to proceed with caution :P.

#15 AndrewR5D4

AndrewR5D4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:48 AM

Yeah, all those new fangled Xyz and Syncro-whatzits.

I used to use a lot of trap cards when I played. Most people's favorite card tends to be a monster, but not mine. My favorite YGO card ever is Magic Cylinder. I LOVED that card so damn much. So many idiots walked right into it. Protip: If I don't put a monster card down, and have one face down card on the field, that's usally a sign to proceed with caution :P.

That wouldn't work anymore... A "Spell of Pain" would take that damage and shoot it back at your own life points. :P

#16 wingman32x

wingman32x

Ace Attorney

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

I would pretty much have to learn the game from scratch. It's changed so much. Monster Reborn, Change of Heart, and Dark Hole are all banned, too. It's a whole new world lol.

#17 AndrewR5D4

AndrewR5D4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:57 AM

I would pretty much have to learn the game from scratch. It's changed so much. Monster Reborn, Change of Heart, and Dark Hole are all banned, too. It's a whole new world lol.

Not really... If you play using Standard Format, NO card is banned. There are actually two sets of rules, Standard and Tournament Format. Most people probably use the former because they only pay for fun.

#18 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:14 AM

Duke Devlin is perfect

tumblr_mh9h99gC3P1s17w80o1_250.gif

f7c22295-c095-456a-acad-b4dcabd18025_zps

- At some point, you gotta decide for yourself who you’re going to be. Can’t let nobody make that decision for you.

#19 wingman32x

wingman32x

Ace Attorney

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:24 AM

I see. That makes sense.

Anyway, some general impressions on the first 30 episodes of GX. The atmosphere is a lot more lighthearted than season 1 of the original series. It seems more like a traditional cartoon. For example, Crowler uses such a classic cartoon antagonist archetype. I think this more lighthearted approach fits the anime series well IMO. I like the setting. The idea of a duel academy is a good one. The 3 groups of students is an interesting concept. Of course, our hero gets put in the lowest class. He should be an Obelisk already, given the fact that he beat a teacher and a handful of Obelisks. He was offered Ra, but turned it down, but still.

The cast is surprisingly good. Jaden is a little annoying with how cheery he is about everything. However he does have his good points. Don't really like Cyrus too much. He seems like an okay kid, but he isn't too interesting right now. I get a kick out of Chumlee. He's a one trick pony but I like his act for some reason. Alexis is by far my favorite character at this point. She has a cute personality, and she actually helps Jaden in a tangible way in the series. Chaz is kind of the rival character, and he does a good job of that, I guess. As I mentioned, I think Crowler does a pretty good job in his role. Don't know how I feel about Zane, since he's just kind of been standing around the entire time. I don't really like Bastion at this point. The whole formula thing is interesting, but I don't like his personality.

The duels so far have been pretty good. Some of the gimmicks felt a bit excessive, but in general they're entertaining. They're more about the opponents IMO, seeing as Jaden routinely plays the same combos and such. I do like the fact that he has dueled a couple of cards. The Jinzo and gravekeeper duels were pretty entertaining.

Overall I'm enjoying it. Better than I expected.

• AndrewR5D4 likes this

#20 Sev

Sev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

5Ds has a good plot. By that point in the timeline, an old enegy reactor at Kaiba Corp reduced half of the city to a wasteland, while the new reactor powers he other half... The former became a slum/labor camp known as the Satellite, while the latter became Neo Domino City. This resulted the people living in Satellite to be isolated from the rest of the world and used as impoverished laborers, while everyone else lived like kings in the rest of the city.

That actually sounds like a pretty awesome premise for the series, depends where it goes from there though whether I'd be impressed. Maybe I'll give it a chance sometime. 

I loved the battle city arc, that was probably the peak of my Yu-Gi-Oh obsession too. Lol fair enough, I played some GBA Yu-Gi-Oh game way back then... not sure if it was that one though. I'm playing the PS2 port of GX Tag Force, called Beginning of Destiny. It's different because of the tag dueling, I have to build my deck to suit my partner (Alexis <3).

Alexis is by far my favorite character at this point. She has a cute personality, and she actually helps Jaden in a tangible way in the series.

Agreed. Alexis is my favourite too. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users