#21 LoneWolfStark

LoneWolfStark

He Who Does Not Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4386 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Lonely

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

If you think GX is more lighthearted.... prepare yourself for season 3. You should definitely watch that subbed though, since the dub demeans the tension and stakes of it. The first two seasons had that as well but not nearly as bad.

As for Yu-Gi-Oh as a whole.... I loved the first series. It was a huge part of my childhood and I owe it for that. I still have my massive collection of cards because of it, and am still collecting. xD Sure, the dub was bad but I can still watch it today and like it because of the nostalgia value, it was just part of the package. I'd also point out it was a hell of a lot better than GX's dub, which threw in phrases like "get your game on" to "relate" to the hip new kids. The original YGO dub could have some real serious dialogue (even if it was about children's card games), and didn't cram in as many puns (though they were still there) as they could in every line of the script. Nor did they give characters random accents or character quirks like GX did, I remember characters all over the place having accents for no reason and off the top of my head some Quirky Miniboss had a thing where he would rap everything he said, again, for no reason at all. Meanwhile the first YGO had every character cast with a voice that fit them without cheesy accents or added on quirks. Don't get the impression I have something against GX because I don't, I liked it a lot, I just thought the dub was godawful. Not saying the original dub was perfect either, because they censored a lot of things that were integral to the anime (lol Shadow Realm).

And yeah, even as a dumb kid I knew they weren't following the rules at all in season 1. But having read the original YGO manga recently, I know the reason behind that. Believe it or not, the manga that started this all wasn't about Duel Monsters at first. It was about games in general, thus "King of Games". Kazuki Takahashi would have the villain of the week do something terrible to Yugi and/or his friends (actually terrible, not something about children's card games), then Yami would come out, challenge them to a Shadow Game, and punish them with his magic powahz in a karmic way once he won. Takahashi would also introduce a bunch of games he made up (Capsule Monsters and Dungeon Dice Monsters being two of them) and have Yugi play them against the villains, Duel Monsters was originally just another one of these games. And guess who was the villain of the week for the Duel Monsters centered chapters? Seto Kaiba. When the author decided to bring back Kaiba and the game for another arc, where Kaiba would serve as the manga's first real arc villain, his popularity, and by extension Duel Monsters, skyrocketed. After returning to the old formula for a couple more chapters, Takahashi's editors convinced him to make an long-term arc about Duel Monsters since it was being received so well. Thus we got the Duelist Kingdom arc. The reason the duels in this season didn't adhere to the rules of the game was.... well, there weren't rules yet. Takahashi created Duel Monsters and set the foundation with the most basic rules, but that was it. He wanted the duels to be more "exciting" I suppose and more like a real battle between monsters rather than a game following strict guidelines for gameplay. By then, the official card game in real life was being printed by Bandai, who kept the game simple like the manga was. It wasn't until later was the game bought by Konami, who built on the game's rules to create the Duel Monsters we all know and play today. So the Battle City arc, where the series started following the rules now, was Takahashi adapting to the real life equivalent of the game so his readers that were collecting the cards and playing them by the Konami rules wouldn't get confused. That also explains any inconsistencies between manga/anime versions of cards and their real life counterparts. Takahashi was the one who made the cards in the first place, and the anime only followed his example to make a (for the most part) faithful adaptation. Konami however, were the ones who decided to change the card types and/or effects of cards for the real life Duel Monsters. In the end, all that early installment weirdness of the game mechanics in Duelist Kingdom wasn't Kazuki Takahashi's fault, or anyone's really. It was just one big mix up.

ANYWAYS. First series? Classic. I'd highly suggest reading the manga though, since it's a lot better (especially the first 60-ish chapters where it isn't focused on Duel Monsters), and it's a lot less ridiculous on children's card games being the center of the universe. In the anime for example, Dungeon Dice Monsters was treated as something that MIGHT be as good as Duel Monsters. In the manga, it was just another game Yugi and his friends played, same as Duel Monsters. Still love the anime in spite of that, which gave us some pretty cool filler arcs. I still need to get around to watching season 0 since it's based on the chapters before Duelist Kingdom.

GX, I also liked a lot, and was the height of my card collecting career. I have more GX generation cards than anything else, I have so many Elemental Hero cards I don't know what to do with them. While it does contradict the Egyptian background for Duel Monsters established in the original premise of the series, the supernatural elements were all well-integrated and overall had a cool plot with a nice cast of characters, even if they weren't as appealing as their predecessors. Most of the supernatural aspects can be attributed to the series being an affectionate parody of the old YGO having children's card games being Serious Business. Something I could appreciate.

5D's is.... where I cut off from Yu-Gi-Oh completely. Say it with me folks: CARDGAMES ON MOTORCYCLES. I... couldn't do it. I still can't. I've heard the anime has a good story and cast if you take it for what it is... but I can't get past that part. Not only that, this is the series that introduced Synchro cards. I hate change, and that was just one too big for my card game playing self to take. I don't know how they work, I don't care how they work, I don't want to know how they work.

I'll give 5D's this at least: it's not Zexal. That anime looks so ****ing terrible. The kiddie animation style, character designs, and tones. I don't care how good the rest of the series is, I will not be able to tolerate it as long as Yuma Tsukuno is the protagonist. Even the most hardcore fans of Zexal admit he's intolerable and the worst thing about the anime. And they're further raping the card game with these Xyz monster things, which make Synchro cards not look so bad by comparison.

I'll forever love and be thankful to Yu-Gi-Oh, even if I haven't liked the direction it's been taking the past few years, and no matter how bad it may get in the future due to the people in charge wanting to milk it for everything it's worth.

• Sev and JDG973 like this

Pettanko FC | To Aru Majutsu no Index FC

PtQ6aHD.png

"I won't make any excuses for myself. No matter what sins I must bear, I will continue my fight to the end."

Spoiler The List

Damanos: Well, that's what I mean
Damanos: It's "based" on the stepping on somebody's shadow thing
Damanos: But then Kubo bullshits however he wants beyond that
LoneWolfStark: YYH did that better
Damanos: "YYH did that better"
Damanos: Bleach in a nutshell

-Damanos, September 24, 2015

#22 alekos23

alekos23

No Sardine

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4943 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

can we discuss YGO abridged here too ? :rly:

• Clyde likes this

#23 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10618 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

I watched the first 3 series...I cannot stand the **** known as Zexal that is just lame in every way

But yeah I loved the original, GX and 5D's all 3 had a unique feel to them...

But if you try to play the game competitively nowadays, everyone uses Synchro's and XYZ's and they are OP as hell, takes the fun out of it all :(

My top 3 favorites (After Yugi of course) are

1. Jaden - GX

2. Kaiba - Original Series

3  Kiryu - 5DS

• AndrewR5D4 likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#24 wingman32x

wingman32x

Ace Attorney

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

Well, I'm in the beginning phases of the Sacred Beasts arc. I'm guessing these beasts are GX's version of the god cards.

So Alexis finally found her dear brother. Part of me knew he had the other half of that medallion.

The duels with the Vampire were kind of meh. They just reinforced the fact that Jaden has to do everything major. Crowler losing was a given, but the Zane duel felt like a cheap plot device for me. A wounded, fatigued Jaden had to come and mop up the mess.

#25 LoneWolfStark

LoneWolfStark

He Who Does Not Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4386 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

The duels with the Vampire were kind of meh. They just reinforced the fact that Jaden has to do everything major. Crowler losing was a given, but the Zane duel felt like a cheap plot device for me. A wounded, fatigued Jaden had to come and mop up the mess.

Get used to that. Jaden beats all but 2 Shadow Riders.

• Tokoya likes this

PtQ6aHD.png

"I won't make any excuses for myself. No matter what sins I must bear, I will continue my fight to the end."

Spoiler The List

#26 Darthwin

Darthwin

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3197 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

Well, I'm in the beginning phases of the Sacred Beasts arc. I'm guessing these beasts are GX's version of the god cards.

So Alexis finally found her dear brother. Part of me knew he had the other half of that medallion.

Well Zane is one of the strongest duelist at the academy. I would think he could beat most if not all of the shadow riders without much trouble.

• Tokoya likes this

a23e6eac-0bb9-4711-9838-7b39c5f0527e_zps

#27 wingman32x

wingman32x

Ace Attorney

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

Get used to that. Jaden beats all but 2 Shadow Riders.

Kinda disappointing, but the main character in these types of shows do everything single handed.

I was hoping more of the 7 acadamy people would take their guys.

I also have a feeling that Alexis is going to give her brother her key fragment. The way she said something made me think he would be involved.

#28 Darthwin

Darthwin

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3197 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Kinda disappointing, but the main character in these types of shows do everything single handed.

I was hoping more of the 7 acadamy people would take their guys.

I also have a feeling that Alexis is going to give her brother her key fragment. The way she said something made me think he would be involved.

I can say this much without spoiling since I have no idea how far in you are in the sacred beast arc. There is a bit of a twist involving one of the spirit key holders.  

#29 Sev

Sev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4099 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

@LWS: Epic post. Interesting to learn all that about the manga and how the anime changed as the card game changed ownership, etc. Also, I agree about the original series dub, the nostalgia watching it makes me ignore any issues with it lol I loved every second of it when I tuned in every day after school. And the Pharaoh's voice is fucking awesome. XD

#30 wingman32x

wingman32x

Ace Attorney

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

I remember having the first two volumes of the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga. It was radically different than the anime.

Anyway, I was playing my Yu-Gi-Oh! game today, and Tea used Premature Burial...when she had 800 life points left. Yeah... the AI in the early 2000's isn't what it is today :P.

I love the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series. I watched it religiously as a kid. I too loved the pharoh's english voice. So damn epic. He made even the lame lines sound cool sometimes. I particularly loved the way he shouted Marik's name. It's become kind of an inside joke with my siblings and I lol.

• Sev likes this

#31 Darthwin

Darthwin

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3197 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Then we got reshelf of destruction where the AI will tear you a new one if it gets the chance. I hated the limited deck capacity that took forever to increase.

#32 LoneWolfStark

LoneWolfStark

He Who Does Not Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4386 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Anyone ever play the GBA Dungeon Dice Monsters game? Solid ****ing play. One of the most fun GBA games I've ever played and one of the only video games I can say I've completed.

PtQ6aHD.png

Spoiler The List

#33 Sev

Sev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4099 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

I remember having the first two volumes of the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga. It was radically different than the anime.

Anyway, I was playing my Yu-Gi-Oh! game today, and Tea used Premature Burial...when she had 800 life points left. Yeah... the AI in the early 2000's isn't what it is today :P.

I love the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series. I watched it religiously as a kid. I too loved the pharoh's english voice. So damn epic. He made even the lame lines sound cool sometimes. I particularly loved the way he shouted Marik's name. It's become kind of an inside joke with my siblings and I lol.

Lmao, that's pretty bad even for AI back then. You'd think it would be in the code not use a life-point reducing card when you've got less LP left than that card will use. XD

The AI has been doing some pretty stupid things for me too on the GX game, but at times it can still kick my ass when it draws the right cards.

Yeah, the way he calls Marik's name... and also Kaiba's name when something serious is going down is epic lol.

#34 wingman32x

wingman32x

Ace Attorney

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

Lmao, that's pretty bad even for AI back then. You'd think it would be in the code not use a life-point reducing card when you've got less LP left than that card will use. xD

The AI has been doing some pretty stupid things for me too on the GX game, but at times it can still kick my ass when it draws the right cards.

Yeah, the way he calls Marik's name... and also Kaiba's name when something serious is going down is epic lol.

It does prevent you, but Premature Burial has an 800LP cost. She could technically pay it, but she special summoned the monster and the duel was called immediately after that. It was one of the oddest things I've seen.

Yeah, and when things aren't going his way he gets all dramatic like it's his last turn. His voice really got me invested in the show as a kid.

#35 AndrewR5D4

AndrewR5D4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7501 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

Speaking of ugly-man, Crowler sounds like Goku after getting kicked repeatedly in the balls... Apparently Sean Schemel can only do one voice.

Sacred Beasts can be used by ANYONE, so they are not so picky as the God Cards.

If you want to see some old favorites in the story, wait until Maximillion Pegasus duels against Crowler. He makes an idiot out of him by turning his Ancient Gear Golem into a Toon and attacking him with it.

#36 wingman32x

wingman32x

Ace Attorney

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

Pegasus returns?!

Mr. Maximillion Pegasus is one of my favorite YGO characters. He's such a great  trollish antagonist :P. That condecending tone is just brilliant. He was such a great villain for the series.

I always wanted to see a Yami Pegasus, though. That would have been awesome.

• LoneWolfStark likes this

#37 LoneWolfStark

LoneWolfStark

He Who Does Not Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4386 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

Pegasus is like my second favorite character in all of Yu-Gi-Oh after Kaiba.

Something I always liked about YGO, despite being about children's card games, they had some legit villains. Pegasus and Bakura especially. Marik to a lesser extent.

PtQ6aHD.png

Spoiler The List

#38 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

I never got to finish GX or 5ds :(

The wedding is back on, Go here to RSVP Here

PS Chillman isn't allowed to RSVP he has to sit in the back.

tumblr_ofiqs3LgoT1ttuk3wo8_400.gif

#39 AndrewR5D4

AndrewR5D4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7501 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Pegasus returns?!

Mr. Maximillion Pegasus is one of my favorite YGO characters. He's such a great  trollish antagonist :P. That condecending tone is just brilliant. He was such a great villain for the series.

I always wanted to see a Yami Pegasus, though. That would have been awesome.

In GX, Pegasus is a good friend of Chancellor Sheppard, the headmaster of Duel Academy, hence why he appears in the series. A former Industrial Illusions Card designer named Franz steals a counterfeit copy of the Winged Dragon of Ra, one of the copies printed by Marik and the Rare Hunters a while back. Pegasus goes to Duel Academy to take it back before Franz causes any damage with the God Card.

#40 LoneWolfStark

LoneWolfStark

He Who Does Not Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4386 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

He even calls Jaden "Jaden-boy". xD

• Tokoya likes this

PtQ6aHD.png

Spoiler The List

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users