Manga Recommendations Thread

• Please log in to reply
1365 replies to this topic

#1361 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts
  • LocationStanding on the bridge between Sagu and Nayug.

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

Hi, I'm working on a story, where the protagoist is in a high school setting with many potential love interest. Does anyone have a harem/eechi manga recommendation?

In that case, try 'Maken-ki!' (link to TV Tropes page). It's basically a highschool harem series with fight scenes and a conspiracy plot.

Or, you can always try the manga for 'Highschool of the Dead'. It isn't a heram series, but it does involve a brief love triangle between the protagonist (Takashi), his ex-girlfriend/childhood crush (Rei), and Saeko whom he's just met.

Between the two, 'Maken-ki!' is still ongoing, but there's usually long breaks between updates. The last one (chapters 83-89) were released back in Oct. of last year. Whereas 'Highschool of the Dead' is just that. Dead (as in, on indefinite hiatus for years with no word on when, or IF, it'll ever resume).

#1362 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

Didn´t have much time to follow new possibly good manga from the last 2 years, so can you please recommend me something that came out in the last 2-3 years that you think has to be read no matter what, there is no limitations regarding genre and content

qhz8b56l.png

#1363 Zeando

Zeando

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

Didn´t have much time to follow new possibly good manga from the last 2 years, so can you please recommend me something that came out in the last 2-3 years that you think has to be read no matter what, there is no limitations regarding genre and content

Dungeon Meshi - classical fantasy dungeon exploration, with food recipes to cook monsters, and an high level of details on the fantasy
Uratarou - over the top supernatural historical action, happening in an alternate universe of middle age japan
Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai - romcom parody, it plays around with the cliche of the two main characters knowing about the others feelings but being too stubborn to solve things in a straightforward way

Edited by Zeando, 11 March 2017 - 07:25 AM.

• ShinmenTakezo likes this

FQZQm2p.png
Forum Mafia Games

Spoiler The 4 ways of Discussion

#1364 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,885 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:06 AM

Boku no Hero Academia. Best!

Dungeon Meshi

Helck

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#1365 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

Taboo-Tattoo - action, special anciet reliecs give powers in the form of tattoos and a boy gets one and is sucked into a battle between two factions.

Plunderer - action/comedy, everyone has a number on his body that is determined by a different thing (like get -1 for every rejection from a girl and +1 for every (what's the opposite word for rejection?)) and you die when your number reaches 0. The higher your number the more powerful are.

Mousou Telepathy - comedy/4-koma, about a girl who can read peoples mind including a classmates fantasys about her.

Dead Tube - action, people make videos (mostly snuff films or similar things) for a platform in a recurring competition and the winner get a big sum of money and the loser has to pay for it including everything illegal that was done for it by all partys.

Edited by Gobi Todic, 11 March 2017 - 06:03 PM.

#1366 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationVarsity. Man do I like that term.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:37 AM

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai

I'd try to recommend more, but my taste over the years has been a lot less discerning. But anyway, seconding this.

Anyway, stuff I was going to throw up some titles to the public. I've really been more concerned about atmospheres and impressions rather than plotlines here.

Slow Motion wo Mou Ichido

Who likes J-pop? 80's J-pop? Yes, it's a high school puppy love tale about a boy and a girl born a generation too late. There's a ton of references to 80s Japanese pop culture, but apart from that it's a cute story. Also the author draws great floofy hair.

@YoWid You, you'll like this, probably.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni

Greenlit for an anime recently. It's about a somewhat stoic high school girl, Akira, who falls in love with her boss at her part time work in a family restaurant. The man in question is a meek self-doubting divorcee, with a young son, who seems to have lived a menial life of many regrets. The story is centred thematically of course around youth and the nostalgia for youth, self-worth, oh and the whole rain aspect is used to set up a somewhat melancholic but also sometimes optimistic tone (when you get to around the mid 20s it's highlighted by the boss).

Draw card here is the aesthetic and writing that doesn't make you cringe like a lot of romance tends to do. Well for me anyhow.

Totsukuni no Shoujo: Siúil, a Rún

Tagline from manga updates: "It is a story full of sadness. From now let's recite a slow and beautiful story from long ago."

For people who like a dark somber atmosphere (quite literally dark, the art uses a shit-ton of blacks, so if you can find HQ scan sources, try that instead of aggregates, because the differentiating between objects in a panel is supposed to be obscure but not absolutely undetectable). I don't mean blood and guts and action here if that's what you want. The main relationship here (this isn't a romance) is a father-daughter kind of relationship. The story is supposed to be a bit of a mystery, so I won't talk about that. 

Edited by Otaku-N., 17 March 2017 - 05:38 AM.

JaAjRjC.png?1

Spoiler muh outdated stuffs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users