Photo

To Aru Majutsu No Index/To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 Raijuu

Raijuu

Mary's Hubby. May Uglypuff pour the waters of ugly upon thee

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationIn a boat along a rainbow sea with mermaid ponies and nacho dinosaurs.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Last thread here

Continued from here

I dunno why nobody bothered to make a new thread when last one reached page 22. 

But here's a new one.

Edit: Huh... the url tags are not working for me, is it just me?

aha! Figured it out.

Edited by Raijuu, 23 August 2013 - 01:17 PM.

bloodbornesig_zpsqwh26arl.png

#2 Donten

Donten

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

Saten has very good taste.

Spoiler

#3 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,539 posts
  • LocationIn the House of Hades

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

Is that Tegami Bachi?

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#4 Donten

Donten

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:23 AM

Is that Tegami Bachi?

It's Kino no Tabi.

#5 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,539 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

I guess that would make more sense then plugging a series from another publisher, the one part with the bags and such kind of reminded me of a character in Tegami Bachi, should have looked closer.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#6 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,334 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

Febiri is so cute lol...Poor Misaka, no love for her XD

What caught my interest was at the end when they said they get to experiment on the 3rd and 4th strongest level 5's....The 4th is the laser woman right?

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#7 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Febiri is so cute lol...Poor Misaka, no love for her xD

What caught my interest was at the end when they said they get to experiment on the 3rd and 4th strongest level 5's....The 4th is the laser woman right?

yes

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#8 God Mode

God Mode

So Lel :3

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,573 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Oh look. I finally found one thing to like about Saten.

They're just using this as an excuse to milk Mugino for fanservice because their too afraid to use Misaki right now since she's still sort of an unknown quantity.

#9 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

Oh look. I finally found one thing to like about Saten.

They're just using this as an excuse to milk Mugino for fanservice because their too afraid to use Misaki right now since she's still sort of an unknown quantity.

I do not understand this.

for 4 years straight Misaki was the best female light novel character.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#10 God Mode

God Mode

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,573 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

We know next to nothing about her except what the Railgun manga is just getting into. And even then she's hardly the best female character in any light novel, let alone this series. Unless you're referring to Misaka in which case, yes, you would be correct.

If you really do mean Misaki, the blonde, massive-titted mind control Level 5 that's only just now been featured in the novels, then you're speaking with your dick. Not your brain.

• Vl731 likes this

#11 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

We know next to nothing about her except what the Railgun manga is just getting into. And even then she's hardly the best female character in any light novel, let alone this series. Unless you're referring to Misaka in which case, yes, you would be correct.

If you really do mean Misaki, the blonde, massive-titted mind control Level 5 that's only just now been featured in the novels, then you're speaking with your dick. Not your brain.

My bad i got confuse with the characters. I meant Misaka. Misaka and Misaki names are two alike and i got confuse.

• God Mode likes this

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#12 God Mode

God Mode

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,573 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

It's all good~ I figured that was the case. ;3 It is a little odd Kamachi chose to name two characters that were bound to interact with each other so often so similarly. A bit confusing...

Edited by God Mode, 24 August 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#13 Raijuu

Raijuu

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationIn a boat along a rainbow sea with mermaid ponies and nacho dinosaurs.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

He definitely did the whole Misaki and Misaka thing on purpose.

Maybe to say they are alike in terms of they are both level 5's and they both go to the same school. On the other hand, they hate each other, and one lacks sexual appeal while the other has way too much for a person her age. Personality-wise, I know Misaka through and through, but Misaki is still somewhat of a mystery... it seems that bubbly personality of hers is simply a facade so... I don't really know why the names when they are also very different.

I think even if they weren't to interact with each other, if Misaki were to be a level 5, people would still confuse their names every so often anyway... so he just kinda went "what the hell" and made it that way for the lols... or to troll.

• God Mode likes this

#14 God Mode

God Mode

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,573 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

These last few chapters of Railgun have been supporting a hope of mine for some time now, Namely, that Misaki is going to keep letting through these glimmers of her true self to Misaka and eventually they'll wind up as grudging allies. Maybe not full-on friends, but they'll definitely have each other's backs in a rivalry sort of way. From the little we've seen of Misaki's actual personality, she seems like a more wounded version of Misaka that masks it with a layer of playfulness and trolling. And I think Misaka is starting to see that, at least if this last chapter of Railgun is anything to go by.

Misaki's probably also going to either be added to the Kamijou Harem or her past relationship with Kamijou is going to be explained a bit more when he finally shows up to fight Level 6 Railgun. Which should also help to tie the two Level 5s together further. I think she has a lot to work with, and if Kamachi does his job properly, which he almost always does, she could turn out to be a pretty good character and foil to Misaka. I'm looking forward to seeing if this pans out.

• Raijuu likes this

#15 LoneWolfStark

LoneWolfStark

He Who Does Not Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Lonely

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

I think their names being so close was pure coincidence. Kamachi always gives his Level 5s meaningful names. Accelerator = One-Way Road, Kakine Teitoku = Emperor of the Front Frence, and Sogiita Gunha = Supremacy of the Military Court. 

Shokuhou can mean Dominated Psychology, while Misaki can be translated to Wish For Control. 

I think he always puts that first, because Sogiita Gunha is unlike any name I've ever heard before, even by Japanese standards. 

I don't see why anyone would call Mikoto by her family name anyways. There's so many other Misakas in the story that calling her that only confuses things, which is why I think Kamachi always calls her Mikoto in his narration when he refers to every other Japanese character by their family name.

Pettanko FC | To Aru Majutsu no Index FC

PtQ6aHD.png

"I won't make any excuses for myself. No matter what sins I must bear, I will continue my fight to the end."

Spoiler The List

Damanos: Well, that's what I mean
Damanos: It's "based" on the stepping on somebody's shadow thing
Damanos: But then Kubo bullshits however he wants beyond that
LoneWolfStark: YYH did that better
Damanos: "YYH did that better"
Damanos: Bleach in a nutshell

-Damanos, September 24, 2015

#16 God Mode

God Mode

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,573 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

I suppose, but that doesn't change the fact that literally every character in-story sans Misuzu refers to Mikoto as Misaka. And Misaka Mikoto doesn't mean anything so far as I'm aware.

#17 Raijuu

Raijuu

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

It is possible he thought of the meaning of the name first. But wouldn't you think that with the amount of Misakas there are, and even if he calls the original Mikoto, he wouldn't have thought "well, the name Misaki sort of sounds exactly like Misaka so this could cause confusion." I'm pretty sure that he must have thought of that and went with it regardless. There are plenty of other names he could have given her to have something to do with domination and control, even if they didn't make sense like Gunha's, yet he still picked the name that could cause confusion... why?

#18 LoneWolfStark

LoneWolfStark

He Who Does Not Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Lonely

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

It doesn't cause nearly as much confusion to the Japanese. :rly: Only the pronunciation is similar. The kanji characters are completely different, which is how it's read by those who read the novels and manga. 

Misaka - 御坂

Misaki - 操祈

Nothing alike from what I can tell. 

Besides, wouldn't everyone, including Kamachi, know her as Shokuhou rather than Misaki? :3 You make the argument Mikoto is referred to be everyone as Misaka, but I can't remember Misaki ever being called by her given name in the story. It's the English-speaking fans that call her that. 

Edited by LoneWolfStark, 24 August 2013 - 05:10 PM.

• ZCOverload likes this

Pettanko FC | To Aru Majutsu no Index FC

PtQ6aHD.png

"I won't make any excuses for myself. No matter what sins I must bear, I will continue my fight to the end."

Spoiler The List

Damanos: Well, that's what I mean
Damanos: It's "based" on the stepping on somebody's shadow thing
Damanos: But then Kubo bullshits however he wants beyond that
LoneWolfStark: YYH did that better
Damanos: "YYH did that better"
Damanos: Bleach in a nutshell

-Damanos, September 24, 2015

#19 Raijuu

Raijuu

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

It doesn't cause nearly as much confusion to the Japanese. :rly: Only the pronunciation is similar. The kanji characters are completely different, which is how it's read by those who read the novels and manga. 

Misaka - 御坂

Misaki - 操祈

Nothing alike from what I can tell. 

Besides, wouldn't everyone, including Kamachi, know her as Shokuhou rather than Misaki? :3 You make the argument Mikoto is referred to be everyone as Misaka, but I can't remember Misaki ever being called by her given name in the story. It's the English-speaking fans that call her that. 

Japanese put a lot of emphasis on pronunciation though.

Whether people use their names to address them is really irrelevant when it comes down to comparing their actual names, and why the author picked the names the way he did. Although, if I were to say, people may use Mikoto and Shokuhou more for the mere fact that it would cause confusion if they didn't. Same goes for Misaka (clones) and Misaka (original)... it's easier to refer to her as Mikoto because you know who it is you're talking about right away, but they share the same name for a reason. 

Obviously, this is all speculation... but I agree with GM when he says Kamachi has something planned out for Misaki to somehow become more important in the story as Mikoto's rival. And the likeness with the names may be a way of him to sort of hint to that.

I've actually seen this type of method done before in stories. Although, your point is just as valid.

Edited by Raijuu, 24 August 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#20 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,539 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

http://www.animenews...s-his-own-manga

Spoiler

• Tokoya likes this

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users