298 replies to this topic

#281 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,584 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

I hope apoo dies.

getting sick of him playing around with kidd.

honestly I am getting so sick of it Kidd even lost his place in my list to Bartolomeo..... we all know kidd is the type that takes no shit from anyone.......so why on earth does he not kill apoo..... because killer said to calm down?

Now they have to ally to beat Shanks. He needs manpower. It's been shown that he's not as reckless as Luffy in that even he doesn't want Kuma or Admiral as his opponent.

There's only one guy in this whole series who takes no shit from anyone and that's Crocodile. Though even that doesn't mean he's stupid and doesn't know when to be soft so that his plan goes smoother.

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#282 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

Now they have to ally to beat Shanks. He needs manpower. It's been shown that he's not as reckless as Luffy in that even he doesn't want Kuma or Admiral as his opponent.

There's only one guy in this whole series who takes no shit from anyone and that's Crocodile. Though even that doesn't mean he's stupid and doesn't know when to be soft so that his plan goes smoother.

We have also seen luffy run from fights he cant win.

Thats true seeing Crocodile mocking all the big shots like WB Akainu DD and Mihawk, and walking away nearly 100% health....... that was the coolest thing I have seen in OP so far. (although when Enel kills urgue for resting on his NW cloud island next chapter, that will take the cake)

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#283 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,584 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

We have also seen luffy run from fights he cant win.

All the more reason for Kid who is a bit more intelligent to know when to hold back sometimes.

although when Enel kills urgue for resting on his NW cloud island next chapter, that will take the cake

There's no doubt about God being on par or better than the classiest pirates ever but how come killing a mere Supernova (lowest bounty pre-TS no less) be cooler than Croc mocking the big shots?

#284 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

All the more reason for Kid who is a bit more intelligent to know when to hold back sometimes.

There's no doubt about God being on par or better than the classiest pirates ever but how come killing a mere Supernova (lowest bounty pre-TS no less) be cooler than Croc mocking the big shots?

Because he is finally back.

banner.png

#285 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,584 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:57 PM

Because he is finally back.

Ah, I see. I prefer his comeback has more powerful character involved though. Like Akainu being stepped on by him or something. Urouge is just too small fry.

Or maybe he will one-shot Shanks then goes on laughing maniacally at BB and Kid Alliance.

#286 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

Ah, I see. I prefer his comeback has more powerful character involved though. Like Akainu being stepped on by him or something. Urouge is just too small fry.

Or maybe he will one-shot Shanks then goes on laughing maniacally at BB and Kid Alliance.

hahaha that would be a much better comeback then crushing urgue.

espically since every day urgue is in the manga i wonder how he didn't killed in the NW on day one

banner.png

#287 Leper

Leper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:33 PM

That's what you came up with after 3-4 tries? Read carefully again the 2 middle lines.

Those comparisons have nothing to do with my post. Never claim they are similar in those aspects...

I know that. I never implied that you made those comparisons. I made those comparisons myself to demonstrate how fundamentally different Luffy and Hawkiuns are becasue you claimed that Hawkins and Luffy are, in essence, the same(which doesn't really make sense if you think about their characters). I disagreed with you, and gave you various reasons why I think that they aren't. I'm not saying that you said these things. I'm trying to show you that they aren't as similar as you think they are based on the aforementioned reasons.

Yes, I read those 2 lines. They were completely baseless and had no foundation in fact whatsoever. They were just your personal opinions of Hawkins. You referred to Hawkins as a "science-coating" Luffy? What does that even mean? Based on what? You also claimed that Hawkins, like Luffy, thinks he will "always win". Again, based on what? Besides, that's simply not true. Agaisnt Kizaru, he calculated his probability of defeat as 100%. He was virtually certain of his defeat. He also concluded that he had a considerably low probability of escape and evasion as well. The manga clearly contradicts your assumptions about Hawkins, in that he's not as self-confident as you think. You also said that I'm under the impression that Hawkins bases his decisoins on logic and statistics. That isn't my impression of Hawkins. I merely said that he assesses the risks and thinks prospectively before he acts, which is undeniable and certainly true. He  decision making is based on fortune telling, which is essentially the theme of his character. Taking all this into account, there is not a very good case to be made for Hawkins being similar to Luffy.
  • capu likes this

#288 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,584 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:32 AM

I know that. I never implied that you made those comparisons.

gave you various reasons why I think that they aren't. I'm not saying that you said these things. I'm trying to show you that they aren't as similar as you think they are based on the aforementioned reasons.

You make less and less sense the more you post. Don't you see how you contradict yourself? So you know those comparisons have nothing to do with my post then why would you mention them? You're not saying that I said these things? Good! Then why brought them up to show me Hawkins and Luffy aren't similar in those areas even though I didn't talk about those aspects? Yeah, you're trying to show how they are different but what use is it to quote me if those differences are not in the same vein as what I was talking about?

It's like I'm talking about how 2 football players can shoot powerfully from outside the penalty box and only that, then you jump in ''What? One is forward, one is fullback, their styles of playing are so different.'' even though that's not the aspects in which I'm comparing them...

I made those comparisons myself to demonstrate how fundamentally different Luffy and Hawkiuns are becasue you claimed that Hawkins and Luffy are, in essence, the same(which doesn't really make sense if you think about their characters).

Hence why you should read my post carefully. Clearly you didn't even though I advised you to in my previous post.

They were just your personal opinions of Hawkins.

Before we talk about how credible my lines are, I have to ask, so whose opinion do you think I was posting? Einstein's? Hitler's? My Mom's opinion? O__O, I literally can't see the point of saying that. I didn't even claim ''because it's my personal opinion therefore it's right'', which is the only scenario where it would make sense for you to say that line. My line is ''this is my personal opinion and that's how I see it'' and of course, I'm open for discussion.

Madara D Dragon's problem is he/she's too sensitive and has to say ''it's my opinion, I can't have the right to say it?'' too many times as if people forbid him/her from expressing opinions, but yours is even worse. You basically attack Strawman and use this opinion thing to mask your careless reading (already giving benefit of the doubt)

They were completely baseless and had no foundation in fact whatsoever.

This is better. Regardless of whether it's true or not, at least you have a good ''motive'', that you think my lines are baseless and have no foundation in fact.

You referred to Hawkins as a "science-coating" Luffy? What does that even mean? Based on what?

So you call something you don't even understand ''baseless'' and go on refuting it anw? How irresponsible! LOL

You also claimed that Hawkins, like Luffy, thinks he will "always win". Again, based on what? Besides, that's simply not true. Agaisnt Kizaru, he calculated his probability of defeat as 100%. He was virtually certain of his defeat.

That's sarcastic.

But, btw, calculate=/=being sure...O__o

You also said that I'm under the impression that Hawkins bases his decisoins on logic and statistics. That isn't my impression of Hawkins. I merely said that he assesses the risks and thinks prospectively before he acts, which is undeniable and certainly true.

And how is that different from Luffy? O__o The difference is in how Luffy views such risks, not what he does with it.

in that he's not as self-confident as you think

What? And that's why he trusts his fortune telling so much?

#289 Leper

Leper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:18 PM

You make less and less sense the more you post. Don't you see how you contradict yourself? So you know those comparisons have nothing to do with my post then why would you mention them? You're not saying that I said these things? Good! Then why brought them up to show me Hawkins and Luffy aren't similar in those areas even though I didn't talk about those aspects? Yeah, you're trying to show how they are different but what use is it to quote me if those differences are not in the same vein as what I was talking about?

It's like I'm talking about how 2 football players can shoot powerfully from outside the penalty box and only that, then you jump in ''What? One is forward, one is fullback, their styles of playing are so different.'' even though that's not the aspects in which I'm comparing them...

I mentioned them because I was making a counterargument. Because that's kinda what a counter argument is. I'm raising an objection to your argument by bringing up an alternative explanation/proposal that makes more sense. Am I not allowed to consider the possible merits of alternative points of view besides yours? You're argument was that you believe that Hawkins was the same as Luffy, I disagreed, and made an argument for why I don't think it is the case, and outlined my reasons based on the manga why I hold my assumption to be true, and therefore your's false. The only counter arguments you've offered so far have been, "You can't read" and "That's not what I'm talking about", which aren't actual arguments. Which leads me to believe that you are just grasping at straws and don't have a legitimate objection to my claims.

Sorry. I don't follow football, so I don't understand the analogy.

Hence why you should read my post carefully. Clearly you didn't even though I advised you to in my previous post.

Are you just going to keep on calling my reading comprehension into question or are you going to actually respond to my contentions? Frankly, It’s getting trite.

Before we talk about how credible my lines are, I have to ask, so whose opinion do you think I was posting? Einstein's? Hitler's? My Mom's opinion? O__O, I literally can't see the point of saying that. I didn't even claim ''because it's my personal opinion therefore it's right'', which is the only scenario where it would make sense for you to say that line. My line is ''this is my personal opinion and that's how I see it'' and of course, I'm open for discussion.

Madara D Dragon's problem is he/she's too sensitive and has to say ''it's my opinion, I can't have the right to say it?'' too many times as if people forbid him/her from expressing opinions, but yours is even worse. You basically attack Strawman and use this opinion thing to mask your careless reading (already giving benefit of the doubt)

By personal opinion, I'm not referring to the person holding the opinion. It's trivially self evident who it belongs to. I’m saying that the only basis for your argument is your opinions.Your claim that Hawkins is the same as Luffy is nothing more than your opinion. You have yet to offer concrete evidence from the manga to back up your claims. The only support that you’ve offered has been, Hawkins is just a science-coating Luffy(again, based on what?) in that Hawkins thinks “it’s also luck and I always win(which I have demonstrated to be untrue), and that he’s just Luffy “but add in some ‘tarot-like cards and percentage numbers” which, again, is nothing more than your opinion, given that Luffy and Hawkins have completely different personality traits. And not only that, but funnily, you claimed that this was my impression of Hawkins, which is completely untrue. Ironically, I’m the one being accused of committing straw mans.

So you call something you don't even understand ''baseless'' and go on refuting it anw? How irresponsible! LOL

What you said about Hawkins doesn't make any sense. Your reasons for why "Hawkins is just a 'science-coating' Luffy" are just your unsupported interpretations of Hawkins.

That's sarcastic.
But, btw, calculate=/=being sure...O__o

So you weren't being completely serious? 

And how is that different from Luffy? O__o The difference is in how Luffy views such risks, not what he does with it.

Once again, I'll demonstrate why they are different.

In almost every instance in the manga, Hawkins has been composed and cool. He doesn’t let his emotions get the best of him, and he always remains completely calm, regardless of the situation. Even when a kick is inches from his face, he remained completely composed.

He calculates the probabilities of the battle,  thus allowing him to act accordingly.

He evaluates how strong Kizaru is, and accordingly  takes the necessary precautions against him, demonstrating that he exercises caution

His decision to fight Kizaru wasn’t based on bold self confidence, which is a notorious character trait of Luffy, but was arrived at after determining his exact odds of survival prior.

This isn’t the case with Luffy. In many instances in the manga, Luffy has been known to lose his cool and let his emotions get the better of him. Sometimes to the point of putting himself, and even his crew in danger. It’s frequently the case that he doesn’t consider the long-term consequences of his actions; likewise, it’s not uncharacteristic of him to be impulsive and rash. It’s often difficult for him to see the bigger picture as well.

He punched a world noble out of sheer anger and subsequently caused the annihilation of his entire crew because he acted without thinking  first

He tried to fight BB without considering the risk, and Jimbei was forced to step in because Luffy couldn’t see the bigger picture and misjudged how strong BB was. Here

He didn’t consider Nami’s well being when arriving at Drum island, and his impulsiveness nearly cost them their chance at saving her if it wasn’t for Vivi’s forethought and her seeing the bigger picture. Even by Vivi’s own admission, “Recklessly fighting isn’t always going to solve everything.” Here

There are other examples, but I think I've made my point. Granted, I’m not saying that Luffy can’t think prospectively, or weigh the risks. In fact, sometimes he can use his head. He gave the order to retreat from the pacifistas because he understood the risks and the chances of survival. The point I'm trying to make is that it's not characteristic of him. I don't think Hawkins is some kind of master strategist, who considers every contingency and comes up with elaborate plans. On the other hand, I don’t think he’s nearly as reckless or as hotheaded as Luffy is, and he certainly seems to have more forethought than Luffy does. But like I said before, if I were to chose who he resembles more closely between Luffy and Law, it would be Law. To say that Luffy and Hawkins are the same would be to say that either Luffy is characteristically coolheaded and calculative or that Hawkins is characteristically headstrong and irresponsible, and neither assumption is corroborated by the manga, and thus your assumptions about him being the same as Luffy are nothing more your opinions, and likely untrue.

What? And that's why he trusts his fortune telling so much?

No idea. I don't know how his fortune telling works, how reliable it is, or what it's based on. However, it seems to be the case that it's more reliable than not.

• Five-Tailed-Fenrir and capu like this

#290 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:52 PM

One armed red headed people fighting each other. Is there anything more beautiful in this world?

Edited by PunkHazard, 12 July 2015 - 09:57 PM.

• superfranky likes this

#291 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,584 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:21 AM

I mentioned them because I was making a counterargument. Because that's kinda what a counter argument is. I'm raising an objection to your argument by bringing up an alternative explanation/proposal that makes more sense. Am I not allowed to consider the possible merits of alternative points of view besides yours? You're argument was that you believe that Hawkins was the same as Luffy, I disagreed, and made an argument for why I don't think it is the case, and outlined my reasons based on the manga why I hold my assumption to be true, and therefore your's false.

All pretty words that only dodge the point. You still fail to explain how you KNEW what you said didn't have anything to do with my post and that I never claimed them but still mentioned them anw.

Funny how you say ''that's what a counter argument is'' without actually knowing what it is, based on your argument anw. To counter something (let call it A) is to mention that A and refute it by evidence that directly goes against that A. But you do that by...mentioning some other things (let call it B) that doesn't have anything to do with A and provide evidence that goes against B rather than A? Man, I don't have the word argument anymore...

And I know you're saying Hawkins is not the same as Luffy. I agree. They are not the same age, they are not the same height, their DFs are different, their faces are different, they have different crews, they wear different clothes etc. LOL See what I did there? The same way you just generalize my post by saying I said ''they are the same'' and then go on counter that without understanding what it is, in which aspects I'm saying they are similar.

The only counter arguments you've offered so far have been, "You can't read" and "That's not what I'm talking about", which aren't actual arguments. Which leads me to believe that you are just grasping at straws and don't have a legitimate objection to my claims.

Except that I provide more than that and you just couldn't/didn't read. I have like many other lines besides that paragraph and hopefully you read them.

Sorry. I don't follow football, so I don't understand the analogy.

You don't need to follow it to understand that example. It seems like the problem is not just reading comprehension. Not very good to know but reassuring in a way.

Are you just going to keep on calling my reading comprehension into question or are you going to actually respond to my contentions? Frankly, It’s getting trite.

I responded to your contentions in other parts of my post but clearly you just didn't care about them or dodging them. Just like the last time with out Haki debate. LOL

I’m saying that the only basis for your argument is your opinions.Your claim that Hawkins is the same as Luffy is nothing more than your opinion. You have yet to offer concrete evidence from the manga to back up your claims.

Except that I did refer to what Hawkins did in the manga which you, ironically, noticed yourself by quoting it in the following parts of your paragraph...You may have problem with my interpretation or my view on what Hawkins did, but claiming I have not offered manga canon is just plain absurd.

The only support that you’ve offered has been, Hawkins is just a science-coating Luffy(again, based on what?)

Based on what Hawkins did in the manga?

Hawkins thinks “it’s also luck and I always win(which I have demonstrated to be untrue)

Another evidence that shows you just can't read. I did explain what I mean by that and you still cling to it anw...

and that he’s just Luffy “but add in some ‘tarot-like cards and percentage numbers” which, again, is nothing more than your opinion, given that Luffy and Hawkins have completely different personality traits.

That right there shows you still haven't understood my point. I didn't say ''he's just Luffy but add in...''. That would mean they are similar in other aspects and the only difference is the Tarot card. While what I mean is only about the luck itself. 

What you said about Hawkins doesn't make any sense. Your reasons for why "Hawkins is just a 'science-coating' Luffy" are just your unsupported interpretations of Hawkins.

Eh, I didn't say they are well-supported or infallible. That's why I used ''looks like''...

And then as mentioned above, the interpretation is supported by manga canon. If you have better interpretation then tell me but don't tell me I don't have any support. It's not like I claim ''Kaidou has a pegasus DF'' out of nowhere with absolutely nothing hinting that or makes it ''looks like'' that. I do based my feeling/interpretation on what I see in the manga.

So you weren't being completely serious?

No, I was.

I was serious about jesting Luffy and his main character armor with the ''I always win''.

And I was serious about Hawkins, too, though the ''win'' there means ''he gets the result which is desirable or ideal given the circumstance'' rather than winning as in a match or fight.

If you're a fortune teller, what's the best thing people can say about you? Obviously that your prediction comes true. So his cards told him he would lose to Kizaru for sure hence why he didn't fight at all and his cards also told him he couldn't die that's why he was so confident (which is evident from his manner and calmness) and all of that led to a result that is Hawkins didn't die and escape safely => a very desirable result (though not the ideal/best one. That would be beating Kizaru). So by following his cards' predictions, he went for a route of action that brought him a desirable outcome. It looks like this guy can cheat fate and always get out of dire situations (maybe unless his cards say ''100% death :lolxg:). So yeah, Hawkins wins as a fortune teller and as a fighter who got himself in a hopeless fight. He succeeded in what he wants: escape safely! It's the same for Luffy, really. He fought the MF War not because he wanted to win 1vs1 against Admirals or whoever, he fought to save Ace. If he lost all the fights but somehow saved Ace, he wins.

Even when a kick is inches from his face, he remained completely composed.

That's not the page but well, ''completely composed'' or ''too slow to realize what happened''? Plus, his ability let him use other people to receive injuries for him. It's a very convenient power in that moment so...

He calculates the probabilities of the battle

He calculates or his cards calculate? We haven't known how his cards work...O__O

He evaluates how strong Kizaru is, and accordingly takes the necessary precautions against him, demonstrating that he exercises caution

So? With an ability like that, his use of it is obvious. How do you know if Luffy had that ability, he wouldn't act the same? Clearly Luffy is a brawler but nothing says if Luffy had that ability, he would ignore and not use it. That link only shows me Hawkins can use his ability. I wouldn't say it shows me he uses his ability well or cautiously. Even Luffy knows when he has to flee from battle. The only reason he charges forward in some cases is because he has no other way. Luffy knew the Admirals are very strong, but he had to fight otherwise he wouldn't be able to save Ace.

His decision to fight Kizaru wasn’t based on bold self confidence, which is a notorious character trait of Luffy, but was arrived at after determining his exact odds of survival prior.

Luffy's decision to fight is based on his fearlessness (though sometimes it's absent), his love for nakama, his own justice, or forced situations. I don't recall any fight Luffy comes in with ''I'm confident'' mentality...

And nothing says such odds come from a reasonable, logical ground...

This isn’t the case with Luffy. In many instances in the manga, Luffy has been known to lose his cool and let his emotions get the better of him. Sometimes to the point of putting himself, and even his crew in danger. It’s frequently the case that he doesn’t consider the long-term consequences of his actions; likewise, it’s not uncharacteristic of him to be impulsive and rash. It’s often difficult for him to see the bigger picture as well.

And those situations would definitely happen if he had Hawkins's card thing?

There are other examples, but I think I've made my point. Granted, I’m not saying that Luffy can’t think prospectively, or weigh the risks. In fact, sometimes he can use his head. He gave the order to retreat from the pacifistas because he understood the risks and the chances of survival. The point I'm trying to make is that it's not characteristic of him. I don't think Hawkins is some kind of master strategist, who considers every contingency and comes up with elaborate plans. On the other hand, I don’t think he’s nearly as reckless or as hotheaded as Luffy is, and he certainly seems to have more forethought than Luffy does. But like I said before, if I were to chose who he resembles more closely between Luffy and Law, it would be Law. To say that Luffy and Hawkins are the same would be to say that either Luffy is characteristically coolheaded and calculative or that Hawkins is characteristically headstrong and irresponsible, and neither assumption is corroborated by the manga, and thus your assumptions about him being the same as Luffy are nothing more your opinions, and likely untrue.

Except that, as I have said again and again, telling me they are different in those aspects doesn't hurt my point cause I never compare them in terms of those personality traits.

''To say...would be to say...'' or ''If I were to chose'' or ''I don't think'' or ''seems to...'' is also just your opinion and the 1st one is wrong. I can do that kind of argument as well...

Plus you compare a guy who we have seen only a few moments of to Luffy who we have like probably most panels out of any character? If I gather all the panels of Luffy not being reckless and saying some intelligent thing I'm sure it would amount to more than that of Hawkins, who so far demonstrate a good manner but who knows how he would look like if angry...

#292 Leper

Leper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:53 AM

@Fulmine From what I’m gauging from your post(s), it seems like you’re main contention is that I responded to a point that you never made. My original post was in response to your statements “he(Hawkins) looks like a glorified Luffy” and “...in essence they are just the same”. Based on these statements, my assumption was that either you are of the opinion that Hawkins is like Luffy but represented in such a way to appear more elevated or special or that he’s basically the same as Luffy, or perhaps both. These seem to be the most obvious interpretations that come to mind. So I want to identify exactly what you are trying to say before I potentially waste my time. Are you trying to say that they are, for the most part, not the same (which would mean that we are in agreement)? Because this suggests something completely different than what you said. In which case, how can you blame be for reading incomprehension when you are saying something completely different than what you mean? Or are you saying something to the effect that they are for the most part the same, or some variation of this (like mentioned above)? Because if that’s the case, then I don’t see why you insist that I’m misidentifying your position. Or do you have a completely different point altogether? In which case, feel free to clarify, so that I can correctly respond.

Edited by Leper, 24 November 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#293 ayanami000

ayanami000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:29 AM

Shanks is the reason why I watch One Piece until now and I will still wait even months or years just to see Shanks next appearance. I hope we will see Shanks engage in a long and exciting battle in the near future.

#294 Oben

Oben

Dirt Cheap

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,603 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

That being said we don't know when shanks became an emperor. He could of been one when he was in the east blue for all we know. We know from what WB said even before shanks went to the east blue he was considered extremely powerful. And from all we can gather it is possible shanks had daily duels with mihawk before going to the east blue.

@captain kidd

Part of the job description for Yonkou is that they rule over the New World, I doubt one could just hang out in East Blue for a couple months without people noticing back home at their empire. Just because he was strong doesn't mean he was important.

#295 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:00 AM

@captain kidd

Part of the job description for Yonkou is that they rule over the New World, I doubt one could just hang out in East Blue for a couple months without people noticing back home at their empire. Just because he was strong doesn't mean he was important.

Well I was pointing out we have no clue when shanks became an emperor

That being said

Are you telling me everytime an emperor leaves the NW they lose their status? Do you think people would tear down WB territories just because he left for the GL for a little bit?
Shanks could of had allies guarding his lands and if he is conning off a fresh set of ties with the strongest swordsman 1- no wonder he was relaxing in the east, 2- I doubt anyone would mess with his land when he stepped away for a month or two

But like I said he probably wasn't an emperor that long ago, but he could of been.

Being strong does make someone really important. Why wouldn't it? The SN are important because they are strong. Warlords are important because they are strong (except buggy)

banner.png

#296 Oben

Oben

Dirt Cheap

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,603 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

Are you telling me everytime an emperor leaves the NW they lose their status? Do you think people would tear down WB territories just because he left for the GL for a little bit?
Shanks could of had allies guarding his lands and if he is conning off a fresh set of ties with the strongest swordsman 1- no wonder he was relaxing in the east, 2- I doubt anyone would mess with his land when he stepped away for a month or two

But like I said he probably wasn't an emperor that long ago, but he could of been.

Obviously not immidiately, but if they vanish for a couple months, that will be noticed because other people (the other Yonkou, the Marines, smaller pirates) care. People are laying in wait for that sort of thing to happen, when WB died, it took less than a day for his territories to be overrun by random pirates like Brownbeard.

Being strong does make someone really important. Why wouldn't it? The SN are important because they are strong. Warlords are important because they are strong (except buggy)

*Using your strength publically makes you important. The SNs are important because they used their strength and someone noticed. For example, the animals on the island Luffy trained on during the TS are strong, but they are entirely unimportant to the world because nobody has a clue about them.

• Five-Tailed-Fenrir likes this

#297 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

Obviously not immidiately, but if they vanish for a couple months, that will be noticed because other people (the other Yonkou, the Marines, smaller pirates) care. People are laying in wait for that sort of thing to happen, when WB died, it took less than a day for his territories to be overrun by random pirates like Brownbeard.

*Using your strength publically makes you important. The SNs are important because they used their strength and someone noticed. For example, the animals on the island Luffy trained on during the TS are strong, but they are entirely unimportant to the world because nobody has a clue about them.

Well there is a massive difference between being dead and being gone. If you take a missing emperors land he will come back and kill you. If you take a dead emperors land.... well.... go ahead his crew is in shambles.

I think the fact that WB said everyone was surprised he lost his arm in east blue is proof that everyone knew of his strength. And I would figure his fights with mihawk were public. It would be hard to keep those secret if they are as good as we hype them to be.

I still find it hard to believe those animals were that strong. We have never seen an animal that has been really strong. Even monster chopper was defeated real easily by franky.

banner.png

#298 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

You know what is one of the worst most unexplainable most shoehorned in at the last minuet things in all of op, the straw hat's history.

1st off. Shanks has compeletly failed to live up to its legacy. Roger and luffy are very similar in their drive and abilities while shanks.... well shanks seems to just float around doing what ever he wants.... playing peace keeper from time to time....

Isn't the hat supposed to be a bet on the new age? So roger bet shanks was going to do something special? He hasn't. He hasn't tried to take up the mantle of PK.... he easily could surely he knows where rafatel is. He hasn't set the world on fire like luffy did...

And why on earth, did shanks "make a bet on the new age" when he was only 30? Shanks had plenty of years ahead of him espically since WB lived to be ancient and was still sailing the seas as the strongest. Why at 30 did shanks call it a day and bet someone else will make waves?

This is actually a huge problem because that means the person roger bet on was a flop meaning the PK wasn't very good at planing long term (like luffy) and shanks gave up way too early.

Is luffy going to give up the hat? since luffy has taken so much off his life span he better give up te hat next year before he falls down dead.

And surely luffy will give up the hat (if he does) when he becomes PK. Why did roger give up the hat much before then?

Why was luffy the first to get the nickname "straw hat"? I mean espically since apparently all these famous pirates wore that hat? That's like if 3 presidents were all to pass down the same flag pin and wear it every day, then by the third president the media starts calling that one the flag pin President. It makes no sense.

Shanks wasn't even a D......

I liked the hat back when it was something shanks started wearing after he became famous and he gave it to luffy as a personal thing. But now apparently it is a huge deal that has been passed down all the way from the PK. Which feels really forced and doesn't make much sense.

banner.png

#299 Abaroxa

Abaroxa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

The hat is aa metaphor for will.

When Ace died, WB said that someone would carry his will. Later on we see Sabo carrying some of ace will.
In the straw hat case, the will is probabily for the will of being free. Just because roger and shanks gave the hat away doesn't mean they are trashing the previous generation or giving up on that will / their dreams. It just means that along the line they met someone that was on the same path of freedom and for that reason they gave the hat as a token of respect and as sign of trust on their journey.
Right now the hat tells people what type of person you are and also help ex allies and members of roger crew know that this person using the hat is trust worthy and should receive special treatment.

Also, by the time shanks gave luffy the hat he might had used it to get to the end of GL. Giving that the hat is used as a secret message like "help a brother out".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users