Photo

Shingeki no Kyojin [Attack on Titan] (Part 7)

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#41 Lone_ant

Lone_ant

Shinninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

http://stormingtheiv...e-theme-in.html

Analysis of Shingeki no Kyojin (that might be overlooked since it's not in the usual anime review sites / google search). Mostly revelant due to its take on adaptations vs original debate.

Edited by Lone_ant, 08 October 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#42 kessie

kessie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

- The "badassery" of the females in Black Lagoon currently seems to be up for debate :)

- Besides being the former no. 1, Theresa's character role focused more on being the Catalyst for the MC more than anything else.... 

- Yoruichi... I love the catwoman, but most of her claim to fan is largely due to her sexual appeal to the fans rather than any real plot/character development.  Largely she falls into the sex jokes, puns, innuendos that befalls MANY female characters in anime/manga.  Granted any gender can have the use of such tactics and still be a good character... but when it surrounds and defines their character as a main focus, then it hampers them more than it helps.

I agree, Major Kusanagi is a pretty well done character.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me.... the main thing that makes a female character great in any series is when they have more to bring to the table than just sex appeal, damsel in distress,  and/or being a love interest.  In other words, they seem real.  For example, female police chief that works in a large city that supervises the entire police force is doing so by her abilities and authority earned through years of command and comradery with her men.  She is not doing it through her sex appeal.  

What I criticize as being one of the traps that most female characters fall into is being simply a pretty face.  This relates to another real world example in the realm of sportscasters... where beautiful women are placed on the side lines/court side and are task with giving interviews and analysis of the sport in question.  MOST times this comes of as incredibly disingenuous, largely because the hot sportscaster is not completely familiarly with the core concepts of the game and are only there largely due to there looks.  Whereas another, perhaps "less" attractive but more knowledgeable person, could do a better job.

When it comes to anime/manga, I feel that many characters, AND largely the female characters. are protrayed in such a way.  A pretty face to supplement lacking characterization.  Of course this does not apply to ALL female in every series... but its definitely the norm.

In the end, my argument largely surround the common notion that "beautiful women are NOT taking seriously"  by both men and women.  It's a societal concept that has been around for AGES.  Of course most ppl will pay attention to what a pretty face (man or woman) has to say... but in the end the credentials of a pretty face is taking less seriously than those of an average looking person.  This is especially prevalent in terms of pretty women... While both sexes judge things on a superficial basis the "pretty female" category is judge more on their looks than on their inner knowledge.  Even if a hot women has a PhD from MIT and tripled majors in Science, Math, and English... if she is extremely gorgeous, then ppl (again both men and women) will view her as less credible simply because she is gorgeous; Whereas a less attractive person with somewhat lesser accomplishments will be regarded more seriously..... its simply a part of human nature.

So when anime/manga characters follow the same tropes... its lessen the "character" of the individual (in my eyes).  Thus in SnK, Mikasa's character really does a great job in showing her passions, desires, achievements, and inner strength because she has been develop in such a way that THOSE are the criteria we the readers and the SnK world base her character on; and not her super duper hot looks...though it goes without saying that Mikasa is NOT an ugly person either.  

oh, in regarding another one of Sev's previous points.... yeah I due tend to over-react a bit  :whistle:

xD

With that definition we could even say Maka from Soul Eater is a good female character. Lena Lee in D Grayman might be a bit of a whiner, but she has her moments being strong too when she's fighting so she fits the criteria too. I think I like her more that Mikasa in some ways in fact. Mikasa is so ruthless that mercy doesn't mean anything to her and she's more than willing to kill former comrades if they threaten Eren. Lena Lee has a more compassionate side that makes her conflicted when all the stuff with the 14th starts to happen. There's nothing wrong with being a bad@$$, but tempering that with a regard for human life can only be a good thing. It makes a character multidimensional so it's easier to relate to them. At this point in SnK, Mikasa is some overpowering, godly bad@$$ which makes her almost perfect. Don't get me wrong, she's really cool, but her being "perfect" makes it harder for me to relate to her character. As opposed to any of the others who I can relate to on some level. That's probably why Jean and Armin are my favorite characters in a more personal sense. I can relate to both of them. Mikasa and Levi are my favorite action characters in contrast, but Levi seems to have a bit more character than Mikasa to me so I like him more.

• Ryuuhime likes this

weareasuperteamloco_zpsxquonz8c.gif?t=14

"Those two are made for each other"

-Master Fu

#43 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

With that definition we could even say Maka from Soul Eater is a good female character. Lena Lee in D Grayman might be a bit of a whiner, but she has her moments being strong too when she's fighting so she fits the criteria too. I think I like her more that Mikasa in some ways in fact. Mikasa is so ruthless that mercy doesn't mean anything to her and she's more than willing to kill former comrades if they threaten Eren. Lena Lee has a more compassionate side that makes her conflicted when all the stuff with the 14th starts to happen. There's nothing wrong with being a bad@$$, but tempering that with a regard for human life can only be a good thing. It makes a character multidimensional so it's easier to relate to them. At this point in SnK, Mikasa is some overpowering, godly bad@$$ which makes her almost perfect. Don't get me wrong, she's really cool, but her being "perfect" makes it harder for me to relate to her character. As opposed to any of the others who I can relate to on some level. That's probably why Jean and Armin are my favorite characters in a more personal sense. I can relate to both of them. Mikasa and Levi are my favorite action characters in contrast, but Levi seems to have a bit more character than Mikasa to me so I like him more.

If you are going to point out lena lee, what about Rhode?

#44 Tainted Gene

Tainted Gene

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in South Town

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

Yea see... that is what I find SO refreshing about Mikasa as a character and one of the reason I love her character.  Ruthlessness, aggression, anger, and mercilessness are typical male traits that rarely fall upon female characters.  Mikasa having these typically "male" traits is something that I personally want to see more of from other female characters in other series.  Also, I don't see her as perfect at all.  

Granted she is pretty incredible but she had to fight some intense battles to get to where she is; both mentally and physically (parent's death, fear of losing Erin).  So her obsession over Eren is what I would call a good character flaw.... when it comes to Eren, her otherwise rational mind will simply stop and all focus will be to the protection of Eren... even if it is a the detriment of the whole world.  So even though its a bad trait to have (putting one person's life over the lives of yourself and humanity). it makes Mikasa's character more real and believable. 

In regards to SnK as a WHOLE... Jean is probably my 2nd fave or a very close 1st to only Mikasa... and ironically for the opposite reasons.  Granted he is very skillful in the grand scope of SnK and relative to the average human in the walls he is an elite soldier.  But relative to the other Scouting corp members... he is nearly fairly average and doesn't have those impressive feats that the other characters have shown.  In essence he is a relatively average weak scared person... as Marco so eloquently put it. But its his transition from what he once was..... a coward wanting to be safe deeper inside the "cage"... to embracing his limitations and making it his personal goal to not leave his comrades behind or to suffer a fate that he has seen first hand on the battlefield.  

That character growth easily places Jean as one of the top characters in SnK.  So I agree with you Kessi in having Jean as one of your faves.  If it wasn't for Mikasa I would say he was my favorite character followed by Potato Girl and Erin

gf7wtg1smitl_by_geneforson-d713rt9.gif

Use the FORCE                               "Disclaimer"

"If the bogeyman attacked you during an emotional fit you wouldn't grab the closest weapon and do epic battle with it."

One Piece Predictions                                 ~ Riding Bean ~

Spoiler I/ " ....................................INHERITED WILL..................................... " /l
Spoiler // .................................SOME OF MY ARTWORK ............................... //

"...despite the circumstances they meet people, these three are ALWAYS in a mindset to laugh and party..."

#45 kessie

kessie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

Ruthlessness, aggression, anger, and mercilessness are typical male traits that rarely fall upon female characters. Mikasa having these typically "male" traits is something that I personally want to see more of from other female characters in other series. Also, I don't see her as perfect at all.

I can recognize her apparent uniqueness in having that type of a trait, but I never liked those traits in male characters so its awkward to see it in a female one (exception being villains of any gender). I just feel like characters with such little compassion are better served as villains since a defining trait of any 'ideal' and 'virtuous' hero is one who shows compassion and mercy. I sincerely believe that the best kind of 'hero' is one who can be a strong leader and encourages people to be better than they are. To quote Disney's Hercules "A true is isn't measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart".

If you are going to point out lena lee, what about Rhode?

I was only looking at protagonists, but I agree :)

-Master Fu

#46 Tainted Gene

Tainted Gene

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in South Town

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

I can recognize her apparent uniqueness in having that type of a trait, but I never liked those traits in male characters so its awkward to see it in a female one (exception being villains of any gender). I just feel like characters with such little compassion are better served as villains since a defining trait of any 'ideal' and 'virtuous' hero is one who shows compassion and mercy. I sincerely believe that the best kind of 'hero' is one who can be a strong leader and encourages people to be better than they are. To quote Disney's Hercules "A true is isn't measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart".

I was only looking at protagonists, but I agree :)

great post and I agree.  The thing with Mikasa however is that she doesn't wish or desire to be a hero; she just wants to live forever with Eren  :wub: 

Spoiler

gf7wtg1smitl_by_geneforson-d713rt9.gif

Use the FORCE                               "Disclaimer"

"If the bogeyman attacked you during an emotional fit you wouldn't grab the closest weapon and do epic battle with it."

One Piece Predictions                                 ~ Riding Bean ~

Spoiler I/ " ....................................INHERITED WILL..................................... " /l
Spoiler // .................................SOME OF MY ARTWORK ............................... //

"...despite the circumstances they meet people, these three are ALWAYS in a mindset to laugh and party..."

#47 Srki

Srki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

It starts like this. Then it turns into waifu wars.  :unsure:

#48 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

Y'know. I really thought I was gonna hate Levi when he was first introduced. But he's grown on me so much that he's almost replaced Mikasa as my favorite character....almost.....

also:

Spoiler

Edited by Blue22, 09 October 2013 - 01:44 PM.

• alekos23 and Sexy Rat like this

#49 Godpachi

Godpachi

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationFangirlin' anywhere & everywhere

User's Awards

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

All this Mikasa wank is sickening.

EDIT: Really? That word is censored? Seriously. (눈_눈✿)

Edited by Godpachi, 09 October 2013 - 02:01 PM.

• Clyde likes this

RIP Satan

sm6q95.png

Currently At War With Insane Soul

#50 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,176 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

I fell in love with him on the spot

Heicho~ :aww: :aww:

Edited by Tokoya, 09 October 2013 - 02:08 PM.

• Godpachi likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#51 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts
  • Location瀞霊廷で、哀れな死神を助けています。

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

At this point in SnK, Mikasa is some overpowering, godly bad@$$ which makes her almost perfect. Don't get me wrong, she's really cool, but her being "perfect" makes it harder for me to relate to her character.

Mikasa is depicted as this "perfected badass" because it underscores just how special Eren is to her; without him, she is nothing, and feels as if her life is meaningless. Eren's mere existence provides Mikasa with a purpose in life, while she acts as the anchor to his free-spirit temperament. They complete each other and that's why their relationship requires Mikasa to consistently behave the way she does.

In regards to SnK as a WHOLE... Jean is probably my 2nd fave or a very close 1st to only Mikasa... and ironically for the opposite reasons.  Granted he is very skillful in the grand scope of SnK and relative to the average human in the walls he is an elite soldier.  But relative to the other Scouting corp members... he is nearly fairly average and doesn't have those impressive feats that the other characters have shown.  In essence he is a relatively average weak scared person... as Marco so eloquently put it. But its his transition from what he once was..... a coward wanting to be safe deeper inside the "cage"... to embracing his limitations and making it his personal goal to not leave his comrades behind or to suffer a fate that he has seen first hand on the battlefield.

Jean actually has a nice amount of feats. I'd like to see how many Scouts can do this while fighting on a terrain without surrounding trees or buildings, or this given the circumstances at the time. I think Marco was referring to Jean as being weak-minded, in the sense that Jean wasn't a man of conviction and didn't fight for any real purpose (other than to save his own behind, which was selfish and not altruistic). Now, he's molded himself into a capable young leader with an objective of protecting those around him.

Edited by PlasmaWolf, 09 October 2013 - 03:00 PM.

6OINMKs.png

"Akogare wa rikai kara mottomo tooi kanjou da yo." — Aizen Sousuke

[Credit to the original Sage!]

#52 Ryuuhime

Ryuuhime

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

All this Mikasa **** is sickening.

EDIT: Really? That word is censored? Seriously. (눈_눈✿)

Now I'm wondering what word it was, besides the common ones.  xD

I agree though, let's talk about the true gods of SnK: Hanji and Erwin.  :aww:

• Godpachi likes this

mpc-hc_nvo2014-07-0320-42-57-98-Coacutep

#53 Frozen_Flare

Frozen_Flare

>//<

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

I agree though, let's talk about the true gods of SnK: Hanji and Erwin. 

No.

yjEhBS7.png

#54 Ryuuhime

Ryuuhime

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

No.

:angry:

I was joking, though.  ^_^

#55 Frozen_Flare

Frozen_Flare

>//<

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

I guess we're split into 2 camps:

-Levi & Mikasa

-Hanji & Erwin/Jean/Yada Yada

LET THE WARS BEGIN. :mob:

yjEhBS7.png

#56 Ryuuhime

Ryuuhime

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

Shouldn't it be Eren and Mikasa vs Levi, Hanji, Erwin and Mike vs Jean, Sasha and Connie?  :P

#57 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,176 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Shouldn't it be Eren and Mikasa vs Levi, Hanji, Erwin and Mike vs Jean, Sasha and Connie?  :P

Eren is a baka and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Heicho and Mikasa

• Blue22 likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#58 Ryuuhime

Ryuuhime

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Eren is a baka and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Heicho and Mikasa

Tell that to Mikasa.  :rolleyes:

#59 kessie

kessie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

My favorite is Armin. Just throwing that out there. There's just something awesome about psychologically screwing with enemies to distract them and get information out of them. Armin FTW XD

-Master Fu

#60 Frozen_Flare

Frozen_Flare

>//<

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

Ryuu, please.

Its Eren & Arminhurr.gif

• Ryuuhime likes this

yjEhBS7.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users