#121 Phenomiracle

Phenomiracle

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • LocationGarden State

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:36 PM

"Politics as usual" seems too dismissive especially when Executive and Legislature were in agreement. Can't it be that there's something, at least partly, wrong with the law itself?

I never said there couldn't have been.

Trying to make an economic point out of politicians turning on one another is a fool's errand.

um parties usually do not turn on each about their core concepts. You just refuse to see that this plan doesn't work.

For someone who spends a lot of time here, it's surprising how little you know of politics. Has Washington shown you nothing?

Edited by Phenomiracle, 23 April 2016 - 11:39 PM.

L o y a l t y              |             B l o o d l i n e

ZmZNGgT.gif

#122 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:11 AM

I never said there couldn't have been.

Trying to make an economic point out of politicians turning on one another is a fool's errand.

For someone who spends a lot of time here, it's surprising how little you know of politics. Has Washington shown you nothing?

Um yes. What about you? Your party the republicans party refuse to think they are ever wrong. That is why they appeal obama care how many times?

Heck lets talk about the drug war. That also have fail, but one party refuse to see it that way.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#123 Phenomiracle

Phenomiracle

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • LocationGarden State

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:27 AM

Um yes. What about you? Your party the republicans party refuse to think they are ever wrong. That is why they appeal obama care how many times?

Heck lets talk about the drug war. That also have fail, but one party refuse to see it that way.

You've deviated to a hilariously obnoxious degree. And of course, you're as wrong as you always are through your implication that the Republican party is "my party."

Contrary to what you may understand about politics, politicians will turn against one another for any sort of reason, irrespective of party lines. Trying to making an economic point out of a politician's whims and decisions is a fool's errand, it insults the very discussion about actual policy impact.

If you fail to comprehend this, then I'm wasting my time here. Embroil yourself in political drama if that amuses you, it has no place in making any actual economic arguments.

ZmZNGgT.gif

#124 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,868 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

https://www.washingt...s-in-recession/

It's a comparison on the effects of Kansas and California. Basically, the gist is that the predicted results of lower taxes and raising taxes, respectively, have so far not come true. It seems more than anything that Kansas is mismanaging how it's cutting taxes. But either way, the trickle-down theory and experiment is not working so far.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#125 Phenomiracle

Phenomiracle

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • LocationGarden State

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:20 AM

Mismanagement of policy is the crux of the problem, Brownback's admin has a regressive approach at handling tax policy.

They've lowered all income tax rates, yet raised taxes all over the place. Offsets increases in capital in the hands of millions of Kansans, hence they're unwilling to spend, decreasing revenue for private sector, which leads to decreased hiring.

Oh, and there's no such thing as "trickle-down theory."

ZmZNGgT.gif

#126 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,868 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:14 AM

Oh, and there's no such thing as "trickle-down theory."

I thought the whole idea of: give the rich tax breaks and they will in turn create more jobs, was called trickle-down economics. Or are you saying that: give the rich tax breaks and they will in turn create more jobs is in fact a myth?

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#127 Phenomiracle

Phenomiracle

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • LocationGarden State

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:42 PM

"Trickle-down" was a term coined up by a comedian. It's nothing more than a pejorative term used by the left.

Allow me to rephrase: There aren't any economists who believe in the "trickle-down" theory that leftists like to assume people do.

The basic premise is that a rich guy paying a few guys to wash his Corvette would make those particular individuals better off simply because the wealth "trickles down." The most obvious rejection to that idea comes from the fundamental economic acknowledgement that the poor have a higher marginal propensity to consume (thereby a less marginal propensity to save), and thus capital spreads quicker and further.

"Rich spending for whatever reason somehow helping the poor" is a strawman, much like how climate change deniers tried to seriously argue that more snowstorms means the planet isn't warming. 

The whole argument stems from a premise that even the most ardent leftists of economists believe: Investment leads to growth in total output. Of which there is a mountain of evidence and empirical studies backing, much more so than any done for arguing the negative effects of inequality.

Decades of economic studies have lead many to the conclusion that investment incentives are thereby good for growth and thus, that taxes on savings/investment should remain low. The more affluent an individual is, the more likely he is to invest, and thus in policy, this ends up turning into a tax break policy in which the rich benefit in a greater immediate direct margin than the poor do. 

Regarding Kansas, context is key. Comparing the economic performances of two separate states (over such a short period of time, nonetheless) is hardly any different than comparing the economies of two different countries. Resources, inflation, production history, these are all extremely relevant.

You're far better off getting a look how well Kansas is doing by looking at figures for how it used to do in the past, and the numbers paint a much brighter picture.

The early results are quite consistent with those reflecting the tax policies of other states: States with little to no income tax experience far, far greater growth.

ZmZNGgT.gif

#128 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,868 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:04 AM

Well this is disheartening. Governor of Michigan signs bill explicitly forbidding car manufacturers from selling cars directly and also forcing them to sell their cars through dealerships. This form of corporate welfare is quite blatant. Stifling to free-market as well. I get you need to balance the welfare of the state (no, not that welfare) with the interests of the free-market. But if you can poison people to save a few bucks, then I don't see how you can't allow a little competition among the sellers of luxury items (yes, cars are a bit of a luxury).

Edited by DarkNemesis, 29 July 2016 - 11:04 AM.

• waleuska and Phenomiracle like this

Spoiler

#129 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,868 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

@Oben

(although I also dislike stuff like single-payer for various reasons).

Why? I'm curious.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users