Right, time to distill my thoughts
Suddenly, for all its dark contents, the main series seems so much more sunnier...
Chinu is surprisingly laidback. Thinking about it some more, she is like Arima in that regard. Tons of sagely knowledge, but prefers to be easygoing and not take things seriously.
Being the very first Impurity explains why she's so weak. Yet, given that she's now a Basara, she must still have absorbed a considerable amount of Enchanted Power.
Moreover, even Benio points out how much she resembles Seimei. She started off looking like a grotesque baby, so what brought about its evolution? Contact with Seimei at the very bottom of the Island's Magano?
- Seigen had told Mayura not to get close to Rokuro, spoken as an Exorcist
- Shimon didn't believe that Rokuro and Benio would've had a happy future together
- Upon witnessing Kuzunoha and Douman's duel via Sayo and Benio, Kankurou and Kengo remarked on "how many times is this now exactly"? This would've implied that this is somewhat a rite of passage for the Twin Stars
- When Subaru decided to take Mayura under her wing, she thought that she might kill "that child" in her place, possibly Benio. Now that possibility became more likely, and its necessity clear.
In conjunction with what we learnt this chapter, it's all but obvious that Arima and the Generals know about what exactly the duty of the Twin Stars entail.
Then I'm guessing Arima's inquiry and subsequent admonishment to Benio before he returned to the Island was his way of driving a wedge between the kids and pushing them along their respective paths? Like, when he saw her Yin powers manifest in Magano, he had to have known what that was about.
(On that note, I've always wondered that if there were previous Twin Stars, then surely there are records somewhere of their endeavours? Like, I want to know the reasons for failure every other time.)
For all the complaints from the readers that Sukeno-sensei keeps screwing Benio over, this time I must agree with that sentiment.
Chinu is not kidding when she said that the Taiin will lose their place of belonging. Consider this: when Benio becomes an Impurity, the most drastic consequence is that she'll probably be just like the Basara: she can crack openings into the human world, but she cannot step foot in it.
As long as she's an Impurity, she can no longer return home, and will be stuck in Magano for the rest of her life.
I dearly hope Rokuro will accept her when they meet again.
Sukeno-sensei, you better return Benio to humanity by story's end!
So what Sayo winded up summoning were Rokuro and Benio's Taiyou and Taiin forms, huh? And by extension, summoned Seimei and Douman themselves?
In a sense, they're their avatars.
While this chapter explains the "laws" behind how the Taiin originate, it doesn't include any for the Taiyou. Like, were Rokuro's predecessors also discovered in Magano?
Although, it would make sense why the Taiyou don't have a set bloodline like the Taiin. Not like Seimei herself had any other descending bloodline.
But yeah, I do agree that the way both Rokuro and Benio had their Impurity limbs beforehand might just prove to be an abnormality in their turn of the cycle. Like, will it interfere with the usual rules assigned for them?
Furthermore, even if Benio becomes an Impurity, I bet that at least some of their Resonance abilities still work.
Perhaps even, the capacity to bring back those lost in an Impurity Descent?
When I first went through the chapter and the explanation of the Taiyou as the Ultimate Vessel of Yang energy, I first thought of Rokuro's Impurity Arm. Like, is that going to screw over his supposed role?
Then, I thought back to something: Arima and Tenma's conversation right after Rokuro vs Kankurou in Ch 46.
They had described the Ijika Yuuto Suppression Operation as, without a doubt, a 特異点 (toku-iten)
It's not merely a "critical point" like the way Jaimini's Box's Choiboy84 translated it. It's a "singularity".
That is, if I got the interpretation right, then this Operation won't just be "a critical moment". It'll be "an abnormality that will cause great change", the irreversible kind.
Thinking harder on it, I have a crack theory: Ijika Yuuto himself is a singularity.
Crack Theory: the Usurper?
When Benio first met Chinu, she remarked that she arrived much earlier than expected.
Thinking back on it, as the Twin Stars, wouldn't the progress that Rokuro and Benio have made be perceived as considerably fast?
Like, as Exorcists and as a couple, realistically speaking (stupid to speak in such terms, I know) shouldn't the pace be much more glacial?
And yet, look at what has happened in 2 short years, between ages 14 and 16:
- The Twin Stars first met one another
- The Twin Stars, soon after the first discovery of Resonance, saved someone who fell to the obscure forbidden art of Impurity Descent
- One Twin Star, with the encouragement of the other, was able to overcome a Descent an acquired new power for thyself
- Survived 2 encounters with 3 Basaras, vanquishing 2 in the process
- Able to fight alongside a Celestial General (albeit on the Mainland)
- Both Twin Stars have already had experience with their ultimate forms, with the girl already stepping into her chrysalis stage at such an early age
Now consider the following:
- If the Hiintsuki Tragedy never happened, Rokuro would never have transferred to the Seika Dorms, around where (1) eventually happened
- If Mayura had never been struck with the curse, (2) wouldn't have happened
- If the one who placed the curse didn't reveal himself, (3) wouldn't have transpired
- If the need to venture to the Island never arose, Sayo wouldn't have visited the Mainland, and (4), (5) and (6) wouldn't come to pass
And this is before we even dive into the Hiinatsuki Tragedy itself, during which Rokuro acquired his Impurity Arm, among other happenings.
These whole chains of events can be traced back to one person: Ijika Yuuto.
With the info dump of Benio arc Ch 2, I think I might finally have an idea as to Yuuto's goal.
Either (i) he wants to be the next Douman, master of the dark arts and complete the research to create the Taiin, or (ii) he wants to become the Taiin himself.
That would explain his Impurity Descent experiments. Or becoming an Impurity himself. Or his demand of bringing Rokuro with him. Or his slaughter of Island Exorcists. Or egging Rokuro into coming to the Island.
To be some great evil that beckons the rise of a strong good, that substitutes for the Taiyou and Taiin and bypass the need for the Twin Stars?
If this is the case, is it possible that his meanness towards Benio is his way of pushing her away and stopping her career as an Exorcist? (Whether he figured his sister could be a Twin Star candidate beforehand is another matter)
Whatever the case, intentional or not, it's undeniable that Yuuto's actions ultimately sent Rokuro and Benio into a Twin Stars Exorcists speed run.
One Last Blank Point
Even with my crack theory, one more matter: what caused the drastic change in Yuuto between his parents' funeral and his arrival at Hiinatsuki, as marked by his eyepatch?
Did he discover one of Douman's ancient tomes for himself? Or perhaps somebody gave him advice on dark powers? Someone with knowledge of what Seimei and Douman really want, like say, Arima?
Edited by gamria, 23 October 2017 - 06:06 AM.