• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#261 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,299 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:16 AM

His showings in MF make me believe he could have cut DR however he wanted, thus splitting the entire island in numerous pieces if he so chooses.

Except that Dresrosa is wayyyy bigger than MF so no

Spoiler Favorite battle shounen's male characters

#262 Oben

Oben

there were no malfunctions

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,417 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

Except that Dresrosa is wayyyy bigger than MF so no

Not that much, Dressrosa is basically a medium-sized town with a bunch of fields around it. Marineford also has extensive living quarters.

#263 capu

capu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

Not that much, Dressrosa is basically a medium-sized town with a bunch of fields around it. Marineford also has extensive living quarters.

Not only that, there also is the fact that Mihawk slashed the ice somewhere on the ocean and while we dont know exactly how far from the shore / bay the glacier was , since it is so huge it could be further away than we have given credit for. 

Moreover MF has had enough room to fill 100.000 marine men in its front plus all the coming pirates which were a few thousand too iirc. I doubt DR even has anywhere near that many inhabitants, which would decrease the size @Fulmine believes DR to have bya significant amount. Could be wrong with DRs inhabitants though.....dont remember Oda ever stating the size or inhabitants DR has.... Still the bay of MF alone was vast.

Edited by capu, 12 July 2017 - 04:57 PM.

#264 ddboy102

ddboy102

Less Beautiful than DEW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:55 PM

I tottally ship Ichiji and Dogtooth now.

Perhaps they could get married and the Germa and Big Mom alliance goes through.  :aww:  :aww:  :aww:

Better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees

#265 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,299 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:05 PM

No no no, it has several towns within. Also you can scale it from Green Bit. We have the map Bepo drew. We have the shore where Fuji, DD and Law was fighting and see how tiny little dots they are when compared to the whole shore. Then you look at the battlefield of MF...woa, how small that is. And yes, I did consider the living quarters of MF and still said what I said.

Not only that, there also is the fact that Mihawk slashed the ice somewhere on the ocean and while we dont know exactly how far from the shore / bay the glacier was , since it is so huge it could be further away than we have given credit for.

Not sure what this point even means. The important thing is what he cut, not how far away he cut something. And the cut that he made is at best about the same size as Pica which Zolo cut.

Moreover MF has had enough room to fill 100.000 marine men in its front plus all the coming pirates which were a few thousand too iirc.

That's not even a huge number. You can fit that much into a km square or even less, not to mention ship and whatnot. Density is a thing. The size of the island can't be debated with that unless the number is big enough.

I doubt DR even has anywhere near that many inhabitants

Based on?

which would decrease the size @Fulmine believes DR to have bya significant amount

Again, density, density!!! Goodness, and you feel attacked when I find your logic ridiculous...Sahara desert's population isn't 1/5 of that of Netherlands but do that suddenly make its area decrease? What about a large part of Australia then? O__O

Still the bay of MF alone was vast.

Yeah, so vast it's better compared to Green Bit...

#266 Oben

Oben

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,417 posts

User's Awards

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:11 AM

No no no, it has several towns within. Also you can scale it from Green Bit. We have the map Bepo drew. We have the shore where Fuji, DD and Law was fighting and see how tiny little dots they are when compared to the whole shore. Then you look at the battlefield of MF...woa, how small that is. And yes, I did consider the living quarters of MF and still said what I said.

Those are effectively suburbs, they don't really add much to the scale.

If you look here, we have a good overview about the island. From this, we can infer that one level of the new royal castle is about ~20m tall, meaning the entire mountain in its entirety is ~90-100m. It's about as broad on the lowest level as it is tall. That means that the diameter of Dressrosa, including the rocks, is probably not more than 2km, and that's generous.

Now, here's a similar few on Marineford. This castle is much larger, even if it doesn't look like it on the first glance. Why? Compare to giants you can faintly see in front, and the large Marine-ships in the front. These things are huge. A giant is about 15-20m, so the Dressrosa Castle does barely reach the main entrance of Marineford in terms of height. From sea level, the castle is probably around 250m tall, that makes ~750m for the span of the entire island.

Is that smaller than Dressrosa? Yes, of course, less than half as big. But the difference isn't really that huge in absolute numbers, a km is definitely something within fighting reach in OP.

Edited by Oben, 13 July 2017 - 12:15 AM.

• capu likes this

#267 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,299 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:19 AM

Those are effectively suburbs, they don't really add much to the scale.

Why?

If you look here, we have a good overview about the island. From this, we can infer that one level of the new royal castle is about ~20m tall, meaning the entire mountain in its entirety is ~90-100m. It's about as broad on the lowest level as it is tall. That means that the diameter of Dressrosa, including the rocks, is probably not more than 2km, and that's generous.

Except how can we infer that...? You're being stingy, not generous :lol: Your first link get blocked a good chunk thanks to the rock surrounding Dresrosa (there are several from bird-view perspective so why you choose such a hard-to-gauge panel?) and the second link is to the whole chapter so I can only guess the page you want me to see is the one on page 6 and I have to say don't you realize the bottom of the panel is not the ground and it's from quite faraway?

On the other hand we have several other scalings that work out the opposite (as in Dresrosa is very big).

-Green Bit shore and Bepo's map as I mentioned.

-How big the Coloseum given how small Hajrudin (who is about 20m tall or more. A 1.74m Luffy was held nicely in his hand...) was in it and the Coloseum in turn is much smaller than Pica and the plateau.

-Look at those buildings on Pica statue. They are several floors for goodness sake and they are like dots on the statue.

-Hajrudin's size in comparison to Orlumbus's ship and that ship, needless to say, is so much smaller than Pica's lower half when Fuji dropped it.

Then you're aware the distance between Palace Plateau to the Coloseum is barely a third of the whole Dresrosa's diameter? Dresrosa is like 10km in diameter and I'm just eyeballing. If we do a proper calculation I'm sure it would be even more.

Now, here's a similar few on Marineford. This castle is much larger, even if it doesn't look like it on the first glance. Why? Compare to giants you can faintly see in front, and the large Marine-ships in the front. These things are huge. A giant is about 15-20m, so the Dressrosa Castle does barely reach the main entrance of Marineford in terms of height. From sea level, the castle is probably around 250m tall, that makes ~750m for the span of the entire island.

Yep, as I said above, you clearly forget Hajrudin and Orlumbus's ship or you somehow failed to see how they would factor in your scaling for Dresrosa the same way these giants and warships are doing for MF.

And what? 2km is still like nearly 3 times 750m. That's ''not that much''? The context is Mihawk's cutting ability so I don't see how a guy who only cut an ice wall not even covering the whole 750m you just calculated can have benefit of the doubt when it comes to cutting something like 10 times that even though I know he was being casual.

#268 Oben

Oben

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,417 posts

User's Awards

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

Why?

-> See the rest of my post.

Except how can we infer that...? You're being stingy, not generous :lol: Your first link get blocked a good chunk thanks to the rock surrounding Dresrosa (there are several from bird-view perspective so why you choose such a hard-to-gauge panel?) and the second link is to the whole chapter so I can only guess the page you want me to see is the one on page 6 and I have to say don't you realize the bottom of the panel is not the ground and it's from quite faraway?

On the other hand we have several other scalings that work out the opposite (as in Dresrosa is very big).
-Green Bit shore and Bepo's map as I mentioned.
-How big the Coloseum given how small Hajrudin (who is about 20m tall or more. A 1.74m Luffy was held nicely in his hand...) was in it and the Coloseum in turn is much smaller than Pica and the plateau.
-Look at those buildings on Pica statue. They are several floors for goodness sake and they are like dots on the statue.
-Hajrudin's size in comparison to Orlumbus's ship and that ship, needless to say, is so much smaller than Pica's lower half when Fuji dropped it.

Then you're aware the distance between Palace Plateau to the Coloseum is barely a third of the whole Dresrosa's diameter? Dresrosa is like 10km in diameter and I'm just eyeballing. If we do a proper calculation I'm sure it would be even more.

Yep, as I said above, you clearly forget Hajrudin and Orlumbus's ship or you somehow failed to see how they would factor in your scaling for Dresrosa the same way these giants and warships are doing for MF.

I took the sideway few because the main shots of Marineford were also sideways. And the rocks don't obstruct any of the relevant parts.

But you know, I thought it'd be more, too, when I started writing my post. But go for it and calculate. Eyeballing is seriously misleading here, although I'm pretty sure Oda messed up parts of the scale. If you take an actual look, the Colosseum is really large in comparison to the rest of the island, so its scale is fitting because Dressrosa is just that tiny. Even the largest ships inOP don't get much longer than 60-70m (excluding Noah and Thriller Bark, of course), so that is fine as well, considering my very real generosity in calculating ;)

And what? 2km is still like nearly 3 times 750m. That's ''not that much''? The context is Mihawk's cutting ability so I don't see how a guy who only cut an ice wall not even covering the whole 750m you just calculated can have benefit of the doubt when it comes to cutting something like 10 times that even though I know he was being casual.

Like I said, I was talking about absolute distance, I even acknowledged the relative difference. 

But "only"? Just go by the numbers and remember that the Ice wall was several hundred meters away, on the ground, and as high as MF castle. In, yes, a casual swing. Going to 2km for a serious strike isn't all that unlikely, really.

Edited by Oben, 13 July 2017 - 10:36 AM.

• capu likes this

#269 captain kidd

captain kidd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,204 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

There are so many better options. We can introduce new pirates from previous generations. The problem is time restrictions.

I refuse to accept that the most promising generation is Luffys generation (worst generation). We know that 2 years before the beginning of the series ace was the best and only rookie from his generation. 1 year before the start of the show cavendish was the best of the show. 1 year after the show began bartolomeo was the rookie of the year and in our current time the rookie of the year is caribou.
The problem is that the worst generation out number other generations by an additional 10 rookies. I would have accepted if it was by only extra 5 but "come on!". To fix this Oda should have spread the worst generation in those 4 years to make it more believable.
Am I suppose to believe that all the other generations just got crushed, gave up or went on to become yonko subordinates. NO, but since we know that Oda is in a tight time constrains we wont get new independent pirates.

@captain kidd
Now we have to make lemonades because all we have are lemons.
If I had to pick the someone to take down BM I would have to pick DD. I know he is out of the equation but frankly he is the one person that would have made sense since out of all the pirates DD was and is the closest to become an yonko.

After further thinking, Fuji makes a lot of sense killing BM. Not on a typical marine vs pirate clash or 1 vs 1 battle because if the marines can do it then it leaves me thinking that they are lazy as f#@&. It would make sense now because they know BM territory is soon to be in ruins and since stussy is a cp0 she can just tell fuji that the only real threat is katakuri because the rest are as useful as painting on a wall(good for decoration). This applies to fuji and any other marine with guts.

I would of liked the idea of DD if he wasnt in ID, he would have to pull off two impossible feats instead of the one.

If you dont like the idea of a one vs one. I was recently brain storming epic ways to introduce green bull, this would be an amazing way.

Fuji is struggling, standing in the center of the BM pirates, not severly wounded but not 100%.
All of a sudden smoothie falls down in a bloody mess.
Fuji smiles and says "your late"
Green bull says "some of us cant fly"

Now that would be an intro an admiral deserves.

Mihawk does strike as me being far more threatening than DD+crew, thus nearer to the yonkou spot. His showings in MF make me believe he could have cut DR however he wanted, thus splitting the entire island in numerous pieces if he so chooses. I also suppose that the threads r no real hinderance for Mihawk, since his fame alone, if legitimate, should make him ableto cut DDs threads with ez.
For me DD was mid shicki lvl, in one team (powerwise) with Kuma (old one, as to say with his own brain) and Croc. i still see buggy, moria , law as the weak ones among the shicki (perhaps with boa in tow, but i could never really judge her true lvl).

I agree it is probable mihawk is stronger.

Now i hate to do this. Because i never do this. But if i have to fine.....

I think DD is closer to emperor because he has....he has.... he has a crew there i said it!!!!!

I know the strengnth of an entire pirate crew = their strongest member.

But something about a one man emperor seems impossible.

Although dd vs mihawk would be an awesome fight to behold. Mihawk would need alot of mobility to counter DD's awakening, luffy has alo of mobility and even he got cought in it.

captain "Nostradamus" kidd
banner.png

#270 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,299 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

And the rocks don't obstruct any of the relevant parts.

How does it not? It's like you look at a window and see the head of someone without knowing how big the rest of his body is because it's below the window...

although I'm pretty sure Oda messed up parts of the scale

Oda does have a bad record for that, sure. But given how there are more panels supporting me and your panels don't actually supporting you because they are from quite ''vague'' angles I think it's clear Oda didn't this time. Or more like he could have messed up it from 10km to 40km but definitely not 2km.

If you take an actual look, the Colosseum is really large in comparison to the rest of the island, so its scale is fitting because Dressrosa is just that tiny.

I think you're mistaking something. The coloseum is small. It's the smaller building right next to the large one that Pica statue attacked. Look at this bird-view panel.

0785-009.png

It's right above that ''kyaa'' noise sound in the top panel. Scaling from Hajrudin gives you the Coloseum is at least few hundred meters in diameter and look how it compares to the whole Dresrosa...

Even the largest ships inOP don't get much longer than 60-70m (excluding Noah and Thriller Bark, of course)

See Orlumbus's ship...Hajrudin is like 20m as I said because he held a 1.74mLuffy in his hand.

0799-010.png

But "only"? Just go by the numbers and remember that the Ice wall was several hundred meters away, on the ground, and as high as MF castle. In, yes, a casual swing. Going to 2km for a serious strike isn't all that unlikely, really.

Like I said, I could do if it's 2-3 times higher but not 10...Not to mention thickness. Dresrosa is an island with...bed rock and you see how big the underground port is. Then there are all those boulders. Comparing that ice wall to Dresrosa is like comparing a slice of chocolate to a whole cake (I knew BM arc would make me think of food only LOL). Luffy's KKG only folded the floor so to speak because the underground is hollow but if you want to actually cut the bedrock below...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users