taichi

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,766 posts
  • LocationThe 7 Men Room

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

Mushishi, 1st season.

It was recommended to me when it was first released. Never had picked it up though. From the summary I figured it was a boringly and excessively philosophical exorcism story. In fact, watch a trailer, a random scene and it will definitely give you such a feeling.

And guess what, Mushishi is indeed a story about exorcism and focuses heavily on philosophical thinking. But boring? Definitely not.

It is purely episodic and there really isn't any main story aside from some chapters focusing more on Ginko's past, which isn't that much of a story with an actual direction. There is no action and there aren't any big surprises or profound plot twists.

However, Mushishi needs none of that to remain interesting and make itself watched with enthusiasm. The best part of it, in my opinion, is its particular success in assuming the exorcist, the victims AND the exorcised. It makes you wonder about Mushi and their world, but also makes you understand why humans and their material world would fear them. It makes you want to keep exploring and learning from the perspective of Mushishi, who are - rather than an exorcist- bystanders who perceive and understand the concerns of both sides.

Each and every episode leaves you in a peaceful awe as you watch wondering how things will settle this time. I said there is no big surprises, but that definitely doesn't mean they are predictable.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to the 2nd season.

Flatlord%20Misuzu.gif

#143 linny

linny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Locationbetween zero and one

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:28 PM

And guess what, Mushishi is indeed a story about exorcism and focuses heavily on philosophical thinking. But boring? Definitely not.

I've watched a bit of both seasons of Mushishi and while I did like it, I never could get myself to finish it! Maybe I'll give it another shot--it's sad to admit, but it can get hard to push yourself to the next episode without cliffhangers :P

The last anime I finished was Aoharu x Machinegun...and I think I want to start reading manga more, after finishing it. With only 12 episodes, it didn't quite pull off squishing a plot in! Especially when the romantic inside of me just wanted the romance and didn't care for the survival games they played with airsoft guns...and then they didn't end up getting to it anyway -_- But it was mostly lighthearted and made me laugh, and the main character wasn't annoying, which can happen very easily in shoujo stuff. So it wasn't a waste of my time!

Although the antagonist is an actual sociopath...which I know isn't rare for anime, but it makes NO ACTUAL SENSe and he's supposed to be A PEDIATRICIAN and they kept painting him in a sympathetic rival sort of light even though he's torturing all the main characters and enjoying himself?? And he's supposed to be a pediatrician?? A DOCTOR who takes care of KIDS? I don't think I'll get over that any time soon  :<_<:

#144 taichi

taichi

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,766 posts
  • LocationThe 7 Men Room

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:37 AM

I've watched a bit of both seasons of Mushishi and while I did like it, I never could get myself to finish it! Maybe I'll give it another shot--it's sad to admit, but it can get hard to push yourself to the next episode without cliffhangers :P

That's the case for any and every episodic anime/manga. Some people just don't get into it because, as you said, it's hard to push yourself to the next episode without cliffhangers. Some people like it precisely because of that, as you can watch them in your own pace. (As a matter of fact I still haven't started the 2nd season :P )

Flatlord%20Misuzu.gif

#145 Otaku-N.

Otaku-N.

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationVarsity. Man do I like that term.

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:07 AM

Handa-Kun. 

The "joke" got old by about halfway and then it was bad times until the end when they somewhat redeemed it. 

'salright I guess. 

Edited by Otaku-N., 01 December 2016 - 06:07 AM.

JaAjRjC.png?1

Spoiler muh outdated stuffs

#146 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

Kimi no Na wa (Your Name)

It's a recent movie about a boy and a girl who live far away switch bodies regularly. The setting is quite common, but what it develops into is a bit special and it is a really great movie. It's hard to explain any more without spoiling some major plot points.

I can just recommend it to anyone.

#147 Takeru

Takeru

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:40 AM

Boku dake ga Inai Machi

I really liked this one. It's been some time since my last anime and this show was the best way to fix that. Almost every one of the 12 episodes had me waiting for the next one. My sleep schedule took the brunt of that though ^_^"

Plus, I loved the butterflies.

#148 Sheratan

Sheratan

Tsundere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:11 AM

Just completed Amagi Brilliant Park. Interesting story, but need more "deep" development.

Fans service is acceptable.

Jokes are good.

A little romance.

7/10.

#149 Eger

Eger

The Force is with Me I am one with the Force

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationTeetering on the brink, facing the abyss...

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

Hmmm the lat anime I saw that I actually manage to complete was the second season of Kono Subarashii Sekai no Shukufuku wo! It felt jovial at first that reminds of anime in the 2000s. I feel like an old guy that even something this good is something that is becoming cliche. I'm not really sure if this is a getting older or the obvious decline of anime quality since the Japanese economic recession .

Spark Liner High OST, Dota 2 Comeback Game 2013

Posted Image

"... A hero who used a poem about himself as his spell. Even if I don't understand the meaning behind it... I will accept these words in your place."

#150 FongShwei69

FongShwei69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • LocationStanding on the bridge between Sagu and Nayug.

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

'So, I Can't Play H!'

I hadn't heard of it before and only found out about it after seeing a Top10 Harem countdown list. The art style and character designs appealed to me right away, so I figured, 'why not?' :shrug:

I'm glad I did, 'cuz I wound up marathoning it in only 2-3 days and ordered the complete series on DVD shortly afterward. It's a good, fun watch, with likeable characters and a decent plot, but it's not what I'd call "great".

#151 SootKatt

SootKatt

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:03 AM

Noragami, an anime about the adventures of a minor God who wishes for nothing more than to have his own shrine, a dead boy which is turned into his holy weapon and a girl which walks between two worlds after an accident.

It scratched the "standard" anime itch I required at the time. The characters were really enjoyable and the story was good enough. I'll happily watch a third season if it ever comes out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users