988 replies to this topic

#981 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3,164 posts
  • LocationStamford Bridge

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:03 PM

How's UQ been?  Since it went on hiatus in order to change to monthly, I haven't read it.

ilhd1c.jpg

#982 Namikaze_Naruto

Namikaze_Naruto

N00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSmallville

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:49 AM

How's UQ been?  Since it went on hiatus in order to change to monthly, I haven't read it.

It's been Meh since then. Ken has been going back to his Negima storylines and UQ Holder storyline has suffered for it imho.

My Anime List | My Manga List

naruhinasig1.png

The Return of my Old Sig!

Spoiler Quotes

#983 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:31 AM

To be fair, out of the 10 or so monthly chapters, only 3 of them were dedicated exclusively to flashbacks, but it's currently oriented in that direction, so there might be more to come.

Hm...

I'd say the new serialization started out pretty good, then it was amusing for a few more months, then it stopped on its tracks and it doesn't seem to want to go back. Fans of Negima might think otherwise, though.

Edited by Athos, 12 August 2017 - 04:40 AM.

samisig.jpg

#984 ggctuk

ggctuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:05 AM

The whole purpose indicates to me that Tota is being shown how MOTB was defeated and how Nagi was saved in that alternative timeline, which would tell him how to save Negi in this one.

#985 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3,164 posts
  • LocationStamford Bridge

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

It's been Meh since then. Ken has been going back to his Negima storylines and UQ Holder storyline has suffered for it imho.

To be fair, out of the 10 or so monthly chapters, only 3 of them were dedicated exclusively to flashbacks, but it's currently oriented in that direction, so there might be more to come.

Hm...

I'd say the new serialization started out pretty good, then it was amusing for a few more months, then it stopped on its tracks and it doesn't seem to want to go back. Fans of Negima might think otherwise, though.

That's unfortunate to hear.

ilhd1c.jpg

#986 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:59 PM

The problem with UQ has always been that it's been a juggling act, it never seems to nail the UQ cast and the Negima cast at the same time, one of them always falls flat.

iyzTKCh.jpg

“I promised, remember? I said I would save you even if it meant fighting the entire world.” “Yes…you did.”

Othinus narrowed her eye as the boy held her in his arms. She looked happy. She looked truly happy.

“But you don’t have to worry. I was already saved from the moment you said that to me.”

#987 Asch

Asch

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:50 PM

I dunno, I've had trouble ever giving a crap about the UQ cast, outside of Eva I really can't be bothered to care for anyone. Then against the Negima cast in UQ I don't really care much for either, but in the original Negima I actually got invested in most of the class. It took almost 100 chapters for me to start caring though.

#988 Athos

Athos

Wandering Escapist

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:24 AM

The way I read Negima, it was very difficult for me to follow the series until the fabled Negi Vs Rakkan fight. After that, it was just a game of "how much more stupid awesome is this harem comedy gonna get", turning all sorts of unassuming characters into badasses one after another until the series ended abruptly and everyone cried. In hindsight, it kind of reminds me of Muv Luv...

The way UQ Holder started, I really got into it by how creative and over the top the fights were. This backed up by Akamatsu's easy to follow fight scenes and crunchyroll's high resolution pages, I was having too much fun to wonder if I liked the characters or not. Then all of this kind of stopped in favor of romantic comedy hijinks, and the occasional no stakes fight, which pretty much slowly killed the series for me until the point we are now.

I liked younger Eva, but she's gone forever for all intents and purposes, so it is no exaggeration to say that watching Kirie and Touta interacting is by far my biggest source of enjoyment in this series right now, and I'm dreading the moment when Akamatsu decides it's time to put her on a bus for the rest of the series.

Edited by Athos, 13 August 2017 - 12:31 AM.

samisig.jpg

#989 Spamamdorf

Spamamdorf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts
  • LocationLemu

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:25 AM

I like the concept of UQ Holder, band of different types of immortals working together to help the planet, and most of the cast I was at least neutral towards and could see growing on me over time, I did for example like Santa and Kirie. The problem was it keeps jumping away from that to do literally anything else. When for example was the last time Santa spoke? More than two panels in a chapter? KA has some interesting base to work with, and even the "humans and immortals act differently due to time they have left" is neat and I was interested in the numbers but it's hard to focus on them when we leave it all behind so often to go back to the Negima cast, who don't get me wrong I'm dying to hear about what happened and what KA had in mind for Negima when he ended it early, but I feel the constant flip flopping only hurts both sides, but UQ especially because it doesn't have the history to fall back on

iyzTKCh.jpg

“I promised, remember? I said I would save you even if it meant fighting the entire world.” “Yes…you did.”

Othinus narrowed her eye as the boy held her in his arms. She looked happy. She looked truly happy.

“But you don’t have to worry. I was already saved from the moment you said that to me.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users