Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationGermany, enjoying all my Visual Novels

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

1. Verb.... or noun?

2. That I haven't come across yet.

3. I wonder in what situations nomu is used instead of suu.

1, Nomimono is a noun.

2. You will find nomikomu also as devour in gaming sense. The world devoured/swallowed by darkness.

3. Apparently, (煙草を)喫む (also read as nomu) is also rather commonly used for "to smoke tobacco" in general. A few jp Q&A websites say you can use suu and nomu interchangeably.

Edited by Mahou, 24 April 2014 - 03:38 PM.

• DarkNemesis likes this

Spoiler Tales of Symphonia - Hi-Ougi/Mysic Artes quotes

#22 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts
  • Location瀞霊廷で、哀れな死神を助けています。

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

1, Nomimono is a noun.

Exclusively as a noun? Curious because I've seen it used as a verb in older textbooks.

6OINMKs.png

"Akogare wa rikai kara mottomo tooi kanjou da yo." — Aizen Sousuke

[Credit to the original Sage!]

#23 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,001 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

Exclusively as a noun? Curious because I've seen it used as a verb in older textbooks.

Odd. Because I've only seen it as a noun in older textbooks. 1st Edition Genki as an example.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#24 Mahou

Mahou

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationGermany, enjoying all my Visual Novels

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

In combination with suru maybe? I know that, for example, kaimono is used with suru to make it a verb for to go (grocery) shopping or something like that.

Well, I don't know much about older textbooks, but at least in all my Visual Novels it was used as a noun like 飲み物を取る to get a/something to drink. Due to my restricted learning style, I don't know much about the old meanings or usages, unfortunately.

Edited by Mahou, 24 April 2014 - 03:58 PM.

Spoiler Tales of Symphonia - Hi-Ougi/Mysic Artes quotes

#25 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

Odd. Because I've only seen it as a noun in older textbooks. 1st Edition Genki as an example.

How old? Two books to which I'm referring are like, several decades old.  :lmao:

It's the best I could find in public libraries! A bro/tutor of mine lends me a couple of better ones from time to time.

In combination with suru maybe? I know that, for example, kaimono is used with suru to make it a verb for to go (grocery) shopping or something like that.
Well, I don't know much about older textbooks, but at least in all my Visual Novels it was used as a noun like 飲み物を取る to get a/something to drink. Due to my restricted learning style, I don't know much about the old meanings or usages, unfortunately.

It's probably with "suru." If more than one person is certain that it's strictly a noun, then only an additional "suru" could make it a verb. An older textbook lists the definition for 飲み物 as: "a drink; a beverage; any liquid which is suitable for drinking; to drink a beverage."

Kubo ambiguity, regardless. >_>

6OINMKs.png

#26 CoralMoon

CoralMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

It seems Nemesis got his PlasmaStream after all >_>;

#27 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,001 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

Also, the kanji used in Iba's name ties him to a few of the other bankai-rumored vice-captains/bankai-rumored Shinigami considered to be vice-captain level. The characters for "Iba" (射場) mean "to shoot (archery)" and "place/location." Yumichika's given name uses kanji (弓親) for "bow (archery or a stringed instrument)" and "relative," while his surname (綾瀬川) means "thin silk/figured cloth," "rapids/swift current" and "river." A possible reading can be, "silk river rapids." The first character (綾) can also be used for satin cloth specifically.

The kanji for "Tetsuzaemon" (鉄左衛門) can be read together as "iron left protect/guard gate." Omaeda has two middle names (both of which are ridiculously long), with one of them ("Nikkoutarouemon"; 日光田郎右衛門) having a possible reading such as, "sunlight rice paddy son right protect/guard gate." The 衛 character in particular means "to protect/guard" but the reading Kubo uses for both names stems from the compound, 衛士 (pronounced either "eji" or "eishi"). It refers to soldiers in the Ritsuryou (Confucianism-based legal order in historical Japan) who were tasked with defending the courts and/or imperial palace; they were mostly young men whom were originally stationed at certain shrines, one of them being the Ise Grand Shrine. The shrine's official name is known as "Ise Jinguu" (伊勢神宮) which is literally "God Shrine of Ise" but can also mean (with a more loose translation) a ruler's palace and/or a member of the imperial family.

I doubt Kubo thought this far ahead, but it's still interesting to consider. The kanji for Nanao's name (七緒) means "seven threads/cords/straps" and is a homophone of 七尾, the name of the actual Japanese city, Nanao, which means "seven tails" ("thread/strap" and "tail" can both be pronounced as "o"). The etymology on Nanao the city comes from seven mountain strips/ridges bordering the city that are visible from the Nanao Jouyama, the city's historical ruins which contain(ed) a massive fortress/castle. It might have been what Kubo was aiming towards, as Nanao's listed birthday is July 7, or 7/7. Three of the seven "tails" are the Dragon Tail, Tiger Tail, and Turtle Tail, which are three of the Four Chinese Symbols/Divine Creatures (or five, if one was to count the Yellow Dragon of the Center).

Two other "Tails" are the Chrysanthemum Tail and Pine Tail; the Pine Tail's name in Japanese is the "Matsuo" (松尾) while both "Tails" use the same kanji as in Matsumoto's name (the Chrysanthemum Tail's name in Japanese is the "Kikuo," which is changed to "giku" for Matsumoto's name when rendaku is applied). The last two "Tails" are the Plum Tail ("Umeo" as in "Tobiume") and the Bamboo Tail ("Takeo" as in "Ukitake"). How certain characters may connect with each other is furthered by the four gates surrounding Seireitei:

East Gate "Shouryuu" - "Blue Flow/Stream"

• The "ryuu" reading is a direct homophone for the pronunciation of "dragon."
  • The Dragon among the Four Chinese Symbols is the Azure Dragon of the East, known as "Seiryuu" in Japanese.
  • Yumichika has said that his zanpakutou's favorite color is azure ("Ruiiro Kujaku" literally translates to "Azure Peacock").
  • The kanji in "Ayasegawa" (see above) refers to river rapids/swift current of rivers.
If I had to guess, Yumichika probably originated from East Rukongai. I'd imagine that from wherever Yumichika originated, Ikkaku came from the same area, and it also fits with Ikkaku: he's dragon-themed (his bankai has the kanji for dragon in its name, with the same kanji also seen on the shoulder armor he wears post-TS), and the Azure Dragon represents the element of wood in Wu Xing.

West Gate "Hakutoumon" - "White Path/Road"
  • The Tiger among the Four Chinese Symbols is the White Tiger of the West, known as "Byakko" in Japanese.
  • Byakuya has "white" in his name, as does Hitsugaya, who originated from West Rukongai along with Hinamori.
  • Rukia mentioned that Kaien first trained her in West Rukongai on Koifushi Mountain, with "Koifushi" meaning "Carp Crawl" (Ukitake).
  • There's a type of bird called the Rukia Longirostra also known as the "Long-billed White-eye."
  • Rukia's zanpakutou is unusually pure white.
I'm guessing it will be revealed that Rukia and Hisana were sent to West Rukongai from the human world and not South Rukongai as Hisana allegedly told Byakuya. An interesting parallel between Byakuya and Hisana's names suggests Hisana was lying or telling a half-truth when she told Byakuya of her past. The name "Byakuya" can be translated as "white question/(!)" while "Hisana" means "scarlet/red truth." In this context, the opposite of a "scarlet/red truth" could be a "white lie" which was perhaps what Hisana told Byakuya. There's also Urahara's base of operations, which is in West Rukongai while he has a zanpakutou with "crimson" in the name.

I'll do the last two gates together as they have shared symbolism.

North Gate "Kokuryou" - "Black Edge/Ridge" / South Gate "Shuwai" - "Red Hollow/Pit"
  • The Turtle/Tortoise among the Four Chinese Symbols is the Black Turtle/Tortoise of the North (depicted with a snake).
  • The same creature is named "Genbu" in Japanese and represents the element of water in Wu Xing (Chinese philosophy).
  • The kanji used for the name "Genbu" (玄武) can also mean "black-armored warrior" (see: Ichigo).
  • Kaien had a water-type zanpakutou.
  • The kanji for "Shiba" (志波) mean "resolve/ambition" and "wave."
  • The kanji for "Kaien" (海燕) mean "sea/ocean" and "swallow (bird)."
  • In chapter one hundred fifteen, Rukia identifies Ganju as a Shiba based on the symbol on his clothing, which she labels (in the raw) as the "collapsing whirlpools of falling sky/heaven" (墜天の崩れ渦潮; "tsuiten no kuzure uzushi"; the phrase is sort of hard to translate into English as the kanji for "fallen/falling" and "heaven" are unusually paired with each other).
The two gates seemingly strike a dichotomy regarding Ichigo/the Kurosaki family.
  • The Bird among the Four Chinese Symbols is the Vermillion Bird of the South.
  • It's known as "Suzaku" in Japanese and represents the element of fire in Wu Xing.
  • Renji the redhead is from Inuzuri, a district in South Rukongai.
  • Hisana abandoned Rukia in the same district, with the name Hisana meaning "crimson/red truth."
The name "Kurosaki" means "black promontory/cape," and there are two major promontories that crop up during the story: Soukyoku Hill and the cliff where Ouetsu forged Ichigo's new zanpakutou. Yamamoto referred to the Soukyoku's true form as the "Kikouou" (燬鷇王), which means "Scorch Fledgling* King" and is depicted as a tremendous flaming bird which is obviously a direct allusion to the Vermillion Bird of the South, the bird itself associated with the element of fire; the Vermillion Bird of the South is called "Suzaku" in Japanese, the kanji for which (朱雀) can also mean a mythological phoenix**, in general (as the Chinese Phoenix is more specifically referred to as "Houou" or 鳳凰). Hikifune called Ouetsu's residency the "Hououden" (Phoenix Palace; 鳳凰殿), and given how Kurosaki is Masaki's maiden name, there is plenty of credibility to Jesterzzn's old theory that Quincies may have once protected Soul Society.

*Kind of funny how Ichigo, who is seen as a figurative reincarnation of Kaien, the "Sea Swallow" (both of whom are tied to the North among the Four Chinese Symbols), ended up beating back the Scorch Fledgling/Soukyoku (which represents the South) to save Rukia.

**I know the Vermillion Bird and Chinese Phoenix are two completely different entities, but Kubo may have been generalizing.

Bob/White appeared in EBTR after the rain started falling, which was lampshaded earlier on in the same chapter (by Isshin and the two foddergami) as foretelling an ominous event. The rain is evidently a sign of Ichigo's inner despair, which Not!Zangetsu said during the Kenpachi fight was something he loathed, but that if Ichigo trusted in him, he wouldn't let a drop of rain fall from the sky (though he says "fall in this world" in the raw; この世界に). The Shiba clan's symbol suddenly makes a lot of sense. Bob himself is a black Hollow with a white mask named for his inner Shinigami soul, so I'd be surprised to learn that Kaien wasn't the source of its foundational soul.

To sum this up by categorizing various characters based on their (presumed) correspondence to the Four Symbols/Divine Creatures:

North/Black Turtle: Ichigo, Kaien, the Kurosakis, the Shibas, Gin, Kenpachi, Shoulder Gnome.
South/Red Bird: Hisana, Rose, Ouetsu, Renji.
East/Azure Dragon: Yumichika, Ikkaku, Omaeda, Aizen, Tousen, Uryuu.
West/White Tiger: Hitsugaya, Byakuya, Rukia*, Komamura, Iba, Hisagi, Isane, Sado.

*Could be wrong on Rukia, as her originating from East Rukongai would theoretically make sense given how she has ties to the other three Symbols/Divine Creatures (as her relationships with Ichigo/Kaien, Byakuya and Renji are basically north/black/turtle, east/white/tiger and south/red/bird associations, respectively). Thus, East being the only one remaining could explain her upbringing.

Don't know about/can't classify other characters, such as: Ukitake, who could be grouped among either East/Azure Dragon or West/White Tiger; Urahara, who could be categorized as either West (his base of operations, also as he'd oppose Aizen's East) or South (his zanpakutou's name); characters like Orihime and Ginjou, who are more "sky-themed" than any particular direction.

If the Yellow Dragon of the Center/Earth (element) was included, I'd place Hacchi, Nanao, Shunsui and Ryuuken in that category.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#28 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,001 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

Plenty. The name is written like so: 市丸ギン. If you slightly alter the pronunciation of 市 (which generally means "market"), you could translate his surname (broadly speaking) as "circular city." The second kanji in "Ichimaru" (丸) also comes from the verb "marumeru" (丸める), meaning "to seduce/cajole" (dat sex appeal), "to explain [something] away" or "to make [something] round/circular."

Shinsou and Kamishini no Yari both use the kanji, 鎗. It's often translated into the word "spear" or "lance," but they tend to be identified with a more common kanji (槍), which is similar to the one Kubo used for Gin's zanpakutou but not entirely alike; the former (鎗) is rarer but includes looser words like "javelin," "rifle" and "small arms" (the specific phrase for "rifle" is "shoujuu" (小銃) but overlaps in the sense of a spear/lance being used as a firearm). The comprehensive reading of the 鎗 character is, "a long-pointed object used as a weapon or tool."

One can also twist the pronunciation of "Kamishini no Yari" into "spear of the god killer." http://i.imgur.com/lY8clUC.png...

Spoiler

#29 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,001 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

McAllon. :lmao:

MP translator must have been confused (unless Kubo changed the name for some reason). Anyway, I kind of agree. The fodder struck by the thunderbolt weren't killed outright, so Candice was either holding back or her thunderbolts have a special effect to them.

I don't think he was all that confused. The katakana says マカロン (ma ka ro n). McAllon in katakana should be: マクアルロン or ミクアルロン.

The chapter in which they were introduced lists each of the girls' names in English, right below the katakana.

That quote was in another thread. However the point still remains. It's not that MP/MS were confused. It's that they chose the katakana over the english. Why? Who knows. IMO, they should have stayed with the English spellings. And aside from that, it's still mysterious why the katakana is so different from the English.

Yep. Kubo's english names and their katakana (Japanese) equivalents don't quite match. Now why MP/MS went with the katakana instead of the English names is another discussion entirely.

Manga Stream appeared to use the English names that were first shown when the Femritters were introduced. MP seemed to translate the katakana directly and use that for the girls' names. The problem is that Meninas would then be "Mininya Macaron" if MP was translating the names consistently. Candice's name remains the name in both translations, MP alters Liltotto's surname by a single letter, and "Gewelle" becomes "Jewel" by taking the katakana at face-value. The MP version reads inconsistently, unless Kubo added kanji to the names.

Since we're having a translation argument and it's just plain easier to have all this in one thread instead of 3.

With that said, I see what you mean with the inconsistent usage. Though that could be explained away because of pronounciation.

Edited by DarkNemesis, 15 May 2014 - 01:35 PM.

Spoiler

#30 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,769 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:19 AM

North/Black Turtle: Ichigo, Kaien, the Kurosakis, the Shibas, Gin, Kenpachi, Shoulder Gnome.
South/Red Bird: Hisana, Rose, Ouetsu, Renji.
East/Azure Dragon: Yumichika, Ikkaku, Omaeda, Aizen, Tousen, Uryuu.
West/White Tiger: Hitsugaya, Byakuya, Rukia*, Komamura, Iba, Hisagi, Isane, Sado.

Can you explain those?

Also, Sado and Orihime are not shinigami so should they not be counted?

Spoiler Top Favorite Male Manga Characters

#31 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Can you explain those?

Also, Sado and Orihime are not shinigami so should they not be counted?

The Black Tortoise of the North is entwined with a snake in drawings and is unique among the Four Symbols for having a name that doesn't refer to its animal representation. It's called "Genbu" which translates to "black-armored warrior" and doesn't single-out the tortoise or the snake. The kanji used for its Japanese name are 玄武; 玄 means "profound" or "occultness" (in the sense of being esoteric/abstruse) and has an alternate pronunciation being a homophone for the word "black," while 武 means "warrior" (among other military-related phrases).

The 武 kanji is a compound of the characters for "stop" (止) and "(Chinese) spear" (戈). Ichigo "stopping the spear" was part of what Gin secretly observed about him in order to gauge his abilities. In feng shui, the Black Tortoise represents north, water, and winter; in the flashback where Gin wore a shihakushou, it's snowing and there's already a considerable amount of snow on the ground, meaning it was likely winter during that flashback. Gin is actually more "northeast" than "north" but of the four cardinal points, I'd say he's closer to north.

Kenpachi came from Zaraki, a northern district of Rukongai.

The name "Tousen" (東仙) means "east" and "hermit/sage." Aizen has the kanji for "right (direction)" (右) in his first name and is contrasted with Urahara, who is more aligned with west (his base of operations in Rukongai, for example). Hisagi has a kanji in his name (佐) loosely translating to "left (direction)" and is strongly tied to Kensei, who has the kanji for "west" (西) in his given name.

It's Chinese astrology, so one doesn't have to take it too seriously. :P

Edited by PlasmaWolf, 16 May 2014 - 12:25 PM.

• Fulmine likes this

6OINMKs.png

#32 Zeta42

Zeta42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

BadKarma has translated chapter 582. Here's his version of Askin's line:

NLV:――――始まるか
------So it’s starting, huh?

NLV:さて俺は
I wonder
NLV:選んで頂けるのか
If I’ll be chosen
NLV:どうか
Or not

Time to clear this up once and for all. What does Askin mean?

• D.Hyuga likes this

#33 CuChulainn

CuChulainn

N00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationGwlad Pwyl

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

The first thing that came to my mind is that Askin might be wondering whether he will be chosen to go with Yhwach or not.

#34 Saiyan5nine-tails

Saiyan5nine-tails

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

If that is the more accurate translation, then what does it mean?  Have the first and second invasions of Soul Society been nothing more than auditions for something?  

Bleach - Beyond the Pages

Visit the above blog for weekly updates of Bleach chapter reviews.

"On the Second Day,
The Beast Awakens,
With its single fang,
It swallows the falling star"
--------------------------
[B][CENTER]A bond that transcends their feelings and lies; the willingness to put aside differences for the other's safety; an undying respect and caring for each other. Black and White; Yin and Yang; Shinigami and Quincy.

Kurosaki Ichigo and Ishida Uryu

#35 D.Hyuga

D.Hyuga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

Successor of VR

One of WP

And most likely one of those that will be sacrificed for his highness.

#36 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

BadKarma has translated chapter 582. Here's his version of Askin's line:

NLV:――――始まるか
------So it’s starting, huh?

NLV:さて俺は
I wonder
NLV:選んで頂けるのか
If I’ll be chosen
NLV:どうか
Or not

Personally, I'd translate it as: "Now then, will I be allowed to choose, or not?"

Here's the raw:

Spoiler

――――始まるか

さて俺は
選んで頂けるのか
どうか

Those black dots beside the text in the first world bubble are interpuncts which are sometimes used to distinguish a verb suffix from its root form. 始まる ("hajimaru") which means "to begin/start" becomes "beginning/starting" with the "ka" character (か) making it a question.

Askin: "It's starting?"

First word bubble in the second panel. さて ("sate") meaning "now then/well then/well now" and 俺は ("ore wa") being the masculine personal pronoun ("I/me/my") which is casual and rough-sounding, followed by the topic marker letting the reader know Askin is the focus.

Askin: "Now then, I..."

選んで頂けるのか contains two verbs: "erande" (選んで), which is the te-form of 選ぶ ("erabu") meaning "to choose/select," and "itadakeru" (頂ける), the humble form of 貰う ("morau") meaning "to receive or be given [the potential to do something]." It's a specific phrase and carries a notable connotation of being an honorific. For example, a person who is asking politely "to be permitted" to sit down, to speak, to pick up an object, etc. would use a form of "itadakeru." The のか characters ("no ka") are sentence-ending particles that together express doubt and which question the preceding words, akin to lamenting over and/or reflecting upon what the speaker had just said.

Askin: "...will be allowed to choose..."

Finally, どうか ("douka") meaning "whether or not/somehow or other" and applies to the question.

Askin: "...or not?"

A translation from Japanese to English, the wording is altered a bit to read more sensibly for an English speaker.

Askin: "Now then, will I be allowed to choose, or not?"

I disagree with all three of the translations, and here's why:

MangaPanda: "Let's see. Will I be able to make a choice.. ..or not?"
Manga Stream: "Well then... Do I have a choice... or not..."
BadKarma: "I wonder... If I'll be chosen... Or not..."

Manga Stream uses "choice" as a noun (which would be 選択; "sentaku") when the phrasing is clearly a verb. The MangaPanda translation isn't entirely wrong there, as "to choose" and "to make a choice" are essentially the same thing, but it appears they've translated the second verb as "to be able" which is only half-right; it's the "potential or ability [to do something]" which is "allowed" by the person who is being asked for permission to do... whatever it is the speaker wants to do. I translated it above as "to receive [...]" because the focus of its use is on the person who's being given the consent to do... whatever. Alternatively, "to be able" is 出来る (or just できる; "dekiru").

As for BadKarma's translation, one of the reasons I disagree with it is because if Askin is the one "being chosen," there should normally be a particle indicating the direct object or the subject of the sentence, either "o" (を) or "ga" (が). The question which the reader would likely ask after seeing any of the translations would likely be: "What or whom is being chosen?" Askin's words alone obviously don't answer the question, thus there isn't an object or subject of which to speak (Askin himself is only marked with a topic particle and is basically the noun).

Another thing worth mentioning is Askin's dialect; here, he just puts it out there. It's done in a straightforward manner, which is vastly different compared to his previous appearances where he either dances around the subject he's discussing, speaks with a sarcastic/mocking tone, uses wording that can come across as "rough" (aside from the personal pronoun), or any combination of the three.

It suggests to me that he's being very direct because the person to whom he's referring is most likely Bach or Haschwalth.

Edited by PlasmaWolf, 07 June 2014 - 05:37 PM.

• Fulmine, DarkNemesis, Milareppa and 1 other like this

6OINMKs.png

#37 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:38 PM

Translation of a few pages from chapter 593:

Spoiler

Mayuri: 研究室にこもってばかりいる私などに ---> "Is not a wonder how a person such as myself who's always secluding himself..."
Mayuri: 太刀筋を読むれている事が不思議かネ? ---> "...in a laboratory has been reading your swordsmanship?"

Mayuri: 先日疋殺地蔵にセンサーを埋めてネ ---> "The other day, I covered Ashisogi Jizou with a sensor that was configured..."
Mayuri: 私の周囲2尺以内に入った刃に対し ---> "to always make contact with, at an angle equal to or more than sixty degrees..."
Mayuri: 常に六十度以上の角度をつけて接触するよう設定した ---> "...an opposing blade that entered within two shaku* of my surroundings."

*A "shaku" is a unit of distance of about 30.3 centimeters, therefore simple math gives one 60.6 cm or 23.8 inches, which is basically what MangaStream's translation provided. MangaPanda botched parts of it, MangaStream pretty much translated it properly.

And damn, that one sentence of Mayuri's is long in the raws.

Spoiler

Mayuri: つまり ---> "In other words..."
Mayuri: 君の剣を全て自動で受け切るという事 ---> "...that is to say, your sword will be caught, entirely automatic."

Mayuri: 今の話で剣でなければ当てられると判断したろう
"By that speech just now, it seems you judged that you would be able to hit [me] if it wasn't with a sword."

Mayuri: それが 剣以外で攻撃させる為の誘導だとは思わなかったかネ?
"Did you not think it was guidance for the purpose of making you attack with [something] other than a sword?"

Spoiler

Hitsugaya: ・・・・・・・・・!!!
Mayuri: 今なら受けてくれるネ ---> "Could you receive it now, if possible?"

Hitsugaya: 何だ これは・・・! ---> "What... This is...!"
Hitsugaya: 何が起きているんだ・・・・・・!! ---> "What's happening......!!?"

Mayuri: オヤ ---> "Oh~"
Mayuri: 何だ ---> "What?"
Mayuri: "脳"が気付き始めているネ ---> "Your "brain" is beginning to become aware."

Mayuri: ごきげんよう日番谷隊長 ---> "How do you do*, Captain Hitsugaya?"

*Lulz. The expression here, "gokigenyou" (ごきげんよう) alternatively means, "Farewell!"

Mayuri: 何度目の"今"かネ? ---> "How many times is it "now"?"
Mayuri: 私の"薬"は皆 ---> "My medicines..."
Mayuri: 使用者に新しく素晴しい体験を与あえるものばかり ---> "...give all users new, magnificent experiences, things just full of power..."
Mayuri: 人知を超えた力・知覚・反応・勇気・・・・・・・・・・・・ ---> "...perception, responses, and courage that surpassed human knowledge............"

Spoiler

Mayuri: そして君には ---> "And you..."
Mayuri: "過去を見通す力"を与えた ---> "...were given "the power to see through the past"."
Mayuri: 戦いの中であるポイントを通過する度に ---> "Each time you pass a certain point inside of this battle..."
Mayuri: 君は過去の一定の地点に立ち戻る ---> "...you will return to a past, fixed point*."

*The kanji here are "chiten" (地点), which is also a "site" or "spot on a map."

Mayuri: "あるポイント"とは ---> "That "certain point" is..."
Mayuri: 私を殺すこと ---> "...killing me."

Mayuri: つまり私を殺さなければ君の未来は永遠に続くが ---> "In other words, if you do not kill me, your future will continue eternally."
Mayuri: 私を殺せば君の未来はそこで止まるという訳だ ---> "If you kill me, the conclusion is that your future then stops."

Mayuri: 悩ましいネ ---> "Worrisome, yes?"
Mayuri: 敵を倒さねば前に進めない ---> "If you don't defeat the enemy, you don't advance."
Mayuri: しかし倒せば後ろに進んでしまう ---> "But if you defeat [the enemy], you'll advance back."

PN: Yes, I know that reads somewhat contradictory. Think of hitting "Go to Jail" in Monopoly and being sent back twenty spaces.

Mayuri: ただ ---> "However..."
Mayuri: この薬の不完全な所は ---> "...this medicine is at an incomplete place."

Mayuri: 脳の「短期記憶」司る海馬にしか作用しないということ
"That is to say, it only acts on the hippocampus, which governs "short-term memory" of the brain."
Mayuri: そのため使用者は何度過去へ立ち戻ったか記憶できない
"For that reason, the user is unable to remember how many times they were returned to the past."

Mayuri: そして ---> "And..."
Mayuri: 過去への旅行が10回を超えると ---> "Exceed a journey to the past ten times, and..."

Spoiler

Mayuri: 重篤な副作用起こる ---> "...serious side effects will occur."

Mayuri: 脳の平衡感覚を司る部位が ---> "The region of the brain that governs the sense of equilibrium..."
Mayuri: 三十秒程完全に麻痺する ---> "...will be completely paralyzed for about thirty seconds."

Mayuri: 三十秒の麻痺など大した事では無いと心優しい日番谷隊長は思ってくれるだろうが
"Thirty-second paralysis isn't such a big thing and the gentle-hearted Captain Hitsugaya is probably thinking it, but..."
Mayuri: 戦闘中に起きては一大事 ---> "...it's a serious matter, occurring in the middle of combat."
Mayuri: 新薬に副作用はつきものとは言え ---> "Nonetheless, side effects are accessories in new drugs*."
Mayuri: これでは到底市場に出せはしない・・・ ---> "With this, it absolutely won't be put out on the market."

*The same kanji (薬) is used throughout, and means "medicine" or "[legal] drug." Switched it to "drug" given the context.

Spoiler

Mayuri: さて ---> "Now, then..."
Mayuri: ここで問題だ ---> "Here's the question."

Mayuri: 私は一体何時の時点で ---> "When on earth, at what point in time did I..."
Mayuri: 君に薬を盛ったのだろうか?? ---> "prescribe the medicine to you??"

PN: The "ittai" (一体) is "what the hell/what the heck/...in the world/...on earth" when used as an expression, which is mainly how it pops up in manga. The actual kanji mean "one body" and it's sometimes translated as "unity" or "one form/style/object" in a more Buddhist sense.

Hitsugaya: くそ・・・・・・・・・ツ ---> "Shit........."
Mayuri: 答えは ---> "The answer is..."
Mayuri: 過去で受け付けるヨ ---> "...to be received* in the past."

*受け付ける - "uketsukeru" (alternatively, "to be accepted").

Edited by PlasmaWolf, 31 August 2014 - 11:41 PM.

• Fulmine likes this

6OINMKs.png

#38 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,001 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

Liltotto: どいつもこいつも情けねーな ---> "I don't pity any one of them."
She-Hulk: でも ---> "But..."
She-Hulk: 実力的にはあたし達が残るのは妥当だと思うの ---> "...true power-wise, I think it's proper that we're remaining."

The phrase she uses is "jitsuryoku-teki" (実力的). The individual characters are "truth/reality" (実; "jitsu"), "power/strength" (力; "ryoku"), and an adjectival suffix which usually translates to "-ical/-like/-wise/-ish" (的; "-teki") and which only applies to certain nouns.

には - particle basically meaning "as for/in regard to."
あたし達 - feminine "me/I" ("atashi") + pluralizing suffix ("tachi").
が - particle marking the subject(s) of the sentence.
残る - "nokoru," a verb meaning "to remain/be left."
のは - hard to explain, but let's the reader know that what he/she said is the topic, not him/her specifically.
妥当 - "datou," an adjectival noun meaning "proper/valid/right."
だ - plain copula meaning "is/to be."
思う - "omou," verb meaning "to think."
の - sentence-ending particle indicating emphasis.

Liltotto: それもそーだな ---> "That's right."
Liltotto: しかしあの野郎ホントにエス・ノトにフッ飛ばされたのと同じ奴か?
"But is that bastard really the same guy who had been blown away by Äs Nödt?"
Liltotto: それにしちゃ随分ウデが立つじゃねえかよ ---> "Moreover, his skills rose considerably, didn't they?"
Liltotto: クソが ---> "Shit."

Liltotto: つーか ---> "Putting that aside..."
Liltotto: ペペの野郎はどこ行ったんだよ! ---> "Where did that bastard PePe go!?"
Liltotto: あいつの能力がありゃこの戦いもちったマシになんだろが! ---> "This battle probably would have been better if his ability was also [in it]!"

She-Hulk: あの人きもいからいてもいなくてもいいと思うの ---> "I think it's unnecessary, because that person is gross."
Liltotto: ゲロでもブタでもいねえよかマシだ! ---> "Is it not better to have vomit, or a pig!?"

The other translations butchered that last sentence understandably so, as it's pure slang and hard to translate.

ゲロ - "gero" being a colloquialism for "spew/vomit."
ブタ - "buta" meaning "pig."
マシ - "mashi" meaning "better/preferable/less objectionable."

In other words, she was calling PePe a pig and possibly hinting towards her schrift ability.

ゲロでもブタでもいねえよかマシだ

Is でも = but, than, or even? Plus what's いねえ? Is it "[mo] ii ne" or something else entirely?

Spoiler

#39 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

ゲロでもブタでもいねえよかマシだ

Is でも = but, than, or even? Plus what's いねえ? Is it "[mo] ii ne" or something else entirely?

でも used at the beginning of a sentence means "but" (and while English teachers would warn against using prepositions like "but" at the start of a sentence, it's perfectly acceptable in Japanese). It usually means "even" although in-between nouns, the "demo" becomes "or."

珈琲でも、お茶でも、どうですか?
Kohi demo, ocha demo, dou desu ka?
"How about/Would you like coffee or tea?"

いねえよか ("ineeyoka") is a rough, slang-ish way of saying, "Is it not?/Is that not?" and makes it a question/interrogative.

6OINMKs.png

#40 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

Spoiler

65巻も10月3日金発売ッ!!

"Volume 65 to also be released on Friday, October 3!!"

Edited by PlasmaWolf, 08 September 2014 - 09:44 AM.

6OINMKs.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users