#101 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:33 AM

Yep, that type of method.

I'm not familiar Pimsleur method. Is that just rote memorization? Or is there something more?

I'm not cutesy!

Kawaiiii .... Okami-tan :aww:

:lol:

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#102 Fulmine

Fulmine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,376 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

I'm not cutesy!

really? But I saw your photo with m1hawkgsm...you look cute

Spoiler Favorite male characters in manga/hwa/hua

#103 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts
  • Location瀞霊廷で、哀れな死神を助けています。

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

I'm not familiar Pimsleur method. Is that just rote memorization? Or is there something more?

No, just the opposite. Pimsleur eschewed rote memorization in favor of having people become immersed in the language by applying it to everyday conversations and situations. Basically, it would be taught as if the learner were part of a group of native speakers.

Rote memorization is ineffective for essentially the same reason as why it tends to fail in arithmetic: knowing the answer and understanding the means of solving the problem are two different things, with the latter always being the more important of the two distinctions.

Kawaiiii .... Okami-tan :aww:

:lol:

Die.

really? But I saw your photo with m1hawkgsm...you look cute

You die, too.

6OINMKs.png

"Akogare wa rikai kara mottomo tooi kanjou da yo." — Aizen Sousuke

[Credit to the original Sage!]

#104 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

No, just the opposite. Pimsleur eschewed rote memorization in favor of having people become immersed in the language by applying it to everyday conversations and situations. Basically, it would be taught as if the learner were part of a group of native speakers.

Hmm. Sounds interesting. I might give that a try.

Die.

shinitakunai, okami-tan :P

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#105 Frozen_Flare

Frozen_Flare

>//<

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

Maybe because Arnold's career was established and became internationally popular by being a behemoth-sized man?  :lmao:

You're pulling my leg. You have to be.

Kawaii~

:P

Anyway, I need help your on this:

>二人とも上げてしま之ばいい --> Both of them have risen (to the top of this island??)

>秋の選抜史上初 --> The first time ever on the Tōtsuki Autumn Election

I'm kinda stuck on the first line there. :(

yjEhBS7.png

#106 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:19 AM

omoshiroi, Conan-Shogun. :)

Curious. How long did it take any of you to get used to the speed of Japanese speaking?

Spoiler

#107 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

Hmm. Sounds interesting. I might give that a try.

It's certainly more of a pay-off, in the long run.

shinitakunai, okami-tan :P

Kimi wa sentaku o motteinai yo!

Kawaii~

:P

What did I just watch? :psyduck:

Anyway, I need help your on this:

>二人とも上げてしま之ばいい --> Both of them have risen (to the top of this island??)

>秋の選抜史上初 --> The first time ever on the Tōtsuki Autumn Election

I'm kinda stuck on the first line there. :(

二人とも上げてしま之ばいい
"Both should be raising the island's..."

It's an odd phrase. The ending ばいい/"baii" part makes it "should do/better do." 上げて/"agete" uses the "-te" form for an "iru" verb ("ageru," meaning to raise/lift/elevate), which is "doing" the verb. 二人とも/"futaritomo" or "both (persons)" which only leaves しま之. "Shima" is "island" but I'm curious as to why it's written out in plain hiragana like that instead of with 島 or just katakana. 之 looks like an old-fashioned/obsolete character that indicates possession, but there's no main noun after the "island," so it's confusing.

Edited by PlasmaWolf, 23 October 2014 - 06:39 PM.

6OINMKs.png

#108 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:28 AM

Kimi wa sentaku o motteinai yo!

Eto...... why can't i have my laundry????? :psyduck:

• PlasmaWolf likes this

Spoiler

#109 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

Eto...... why can't i have my laundry????? :psyduck:

選択 (sentaku) = "choice."

君は選択を持っていないよ!

I should have used kanji. Touché. You win this round, Luthor.

6OINMKs.png

#110 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

選択 (sentaku) = "choice."

君は選択を持っていないよ!

Just remember I'm still in the N5-N4 level. :)

Why is Luthor always so misunderstood? :(

選択 (sentaku) = "choice."

君は選択を持っていないよ!

While I have you, would the use of erabu (instead of sentaku suru) be an inferior choice in that sentence?

Edited by DarkNemesis, 23 October 2014 - 11:35 AM.

Spoiler

#111 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

Just remember I'm still in the N5-N4 level. :)

Yet crafty like a fox.

Why is Luthor always so misunderstood? :(

Au contraire. Luthor is sometimes underestimated/underrated, hence I gave credit where credit was due.

While I have you, would the use of erabu (instead of sentaku suru) be an inferior choice in that sentence?

In that same sentence? Both would be wrong as they're both verbs (I used a noun). If you meant something like, "You don't get to choose," one could use anything from "erabu" (選ぶ), to "sentaku suru" (選択), to "sentai suru" (選定; closer to, "select/selection").

The verb I used was "motsu" (持つ), "to have/hold/carry/possess."

Edited by PlasmaWolf, 23 October 2014 - 11:45 AM.

• DarkNemesis likes this

6OINMKs.png

#112 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

In that same sentence? Both would be wrong as they're both verbs (I used a noun). If you meant something like, "You don't get to choose," one could use anything from "erabu" (選ぶ), to "sentaku suru" (選択), to "sentai suru" (選定; closer to, "select/selection").

The verb I used was "motsu" (持つ), "to have/hold/carry/possess."

Ah. I see. I was comparing the semantic similarities and not the syntactical/grammatical differences, as you just showed. In either case, you're right. :)

Spoiler

#113 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

Curious. How long did it take any of you to get used to the speed of Japanese speaking?

Oops, missed this.

It happened pretty quick. From having watched anime over the years, I could tell that some phrases were handled a certain way. For example, the "su" sound in specific words can be pronounced with a silent "U" if it would otherwise hinder the speed of the speaking pace.

Take a phrase such as "scorching sun," which is "shakunetsu taiyou" (灼熱 太陽). You can say "shakunets~ taiyou" if you're describing a "scorching sun" to another person in a sentence, but don't want to slow down and/or if you want it to "roll" nicely off the tongue.

6OINMKs.png

#114 Frozen_Flare

Frozen_Flare

>//<

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:55 PM

What did I just watch? :psyduck:

You just watched Arnie being the kawaii person that he is, in the eyes of the Japanese. :P

二人とも上げてしま之ばいい"Both should be raising the island's..."It's an odd phrase. The ending ばいい/"baii" part makes it "should do/better do." 上げて/"agete" uses the "-te" form for an "iru" verb ("ageru," meaning to rise/lift/elevate), which is "doing" the verb. 二人とも/"futaritomo" or "both (persons)" which only leaves しま之. "Shima" is "island" but I'm curious as to why it's written out in plain hiragana like that instead of with 島 or just katakana. 之 looks like an old-fashioned/obsolete character that indicates possession, but there's no main noun after the "island," so it's confusing.

Heheh! Exactly my thoughts.

I approached one of my friends for assistance & he told me it was something along the lines of 'allowing/letting both of them to advance/progress.

When I asked how the **** he managed to arrive at that, he just nonchanlantly replied its just that way.

Man, learning this language is a real pain in the a**. It would be so much easier had I picked it up during my middle/high school days. I just don't have the motivation/drive & discipline to master this; I'd usually take the easy way out & request for help from a native-speaker. :P
  • PlasmaWolf likes this

yjEhBS7.png

#115 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3,186 posts
  • LocationStamford Bridge

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:31 PM

Oops, missed this.

It happened pretty quick. From having watched anime over the years, I could tell that some phrases were handled a certain way. For example, the "su" sound in specific words can be pronounced with a silent "U" if it would otherwise hinder the speed of the speaking pace.

Take a phrase such as "scorching sun," which is "shakunetsu taiyou" (灼熱 太陽). You can say "shakunets~ taiyou" if you're describing a "scorching sun" to another person in a sentence, but don't want to slow down and/or if you want it to "roll" nicely off the tongue.

Ah, so there is a real explanation behind it.  I'd always assumed it was something like that.  We've all seen it a lot in anime, and then the particular offender occurs in Freezing, where a character continually says, "Aru-desu."

ilhd1c.jpg

#116 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

You just watched Arnie being the kawaii person that he is, in the eyes of the Japanese. :P

The Japanese could probably make anything cutesy/kawaii.

Heheh! Exactly my thoughts.

I approached one of my friends for assistance & he told me it was something along the lines of 'allowing/letting both of them to advance/progress.

When I asked how the **** he managed to arrive at that, he just nonchanlantly replied its just that way.

"...he just nonchalantly replied it's just that way."

Wow, what a cop-out. Dis guy isn't giving you proper assistance if that's how he normally "explains" things.

Man, learning this language is a real pain in the a**. It would be so much easier had I picked it up during my middle/high school days. I just don't have the motivation/drive & discipline to master this; I'd usually take the easy way out & request for help from a native-speaker. :P

Eh, it's certainly time-consuming, but once the learner gets the hang of reading kana and understanding particles, the rest is basically devising special hints that evoke the meaning of various kanji. The "various" here being a couple of thousand, unfortunately.

I agree though, it would be a lot easier when starting at a younger age.

Take a phrase such as "scorching sun," which is "shakunetsu taiyou" (灼熱 太陽).

It's actually "scorching-hot* sun."

My bad.

http://puu.sh/caNBY.jpg

Ouetsu: 雑魚に通らす道は無ェ ---> "There's no road for small fish to pass."
Ouetsu: 黙って・まとめて・かかってきなYo ---> "Shut up, come together, and don't fall ill*."

PN: No kanji for the final verb, it's just "kakatteki" (かかってき). I'm guessing it's 罹る ("kakaru"), since that verb is usually written without kanji. Also, the verb is marked with a negative particle (な; "na"), so it reads as if Ouetsu is telling them not to do something; thus, "to not come at [him]" (as the other translations have it) doesn't really make sense, to me. 罹る means "to suffer/to fall ill/to contract a disease." It seems like Ouetsu meant that he wants them to fight in tip-top shape, but I didn't get the sense that he was saying he'd fight all of them on his own.

601 translation.

http://puu.sh/ckPLb.jpg

Editor Text: 侵入者に向けられた、神の鍛えし鋭き刃―――!! ---> "The god of forging's sharp blade, pointed at the invaders―――!!"
Ouetsu: 黙って・まとめて・かかってきなYo ---> "Shut up, come together, and don't fall ill."

PN: Last two sentences from the previous chapter are repeated, again, without kanji. The other translations all have either "come at me" or "bring it on," but the "na" (な) particle still bothers me, as it seems to make Ouetsu's command negative in some manner.

Also incorrect on the above. The "na" (な) which Ouetsu used in that sentence was an informal/casual way of giving a command or making a phrase "imperative" and not a negative tense. The "kakatteki" (かかってき) was "to come at" ("kakaru") someone/something.

6OINMKs.png

#117 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

na as in nasai?

Spoiler

#118 PlasmaWolf

PlasmaWolf

超人 / 全能者 / 神様

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

Ah, so there is a real explanation behind it.  I'd always assumed it was something like that.  We've all seen it a lot in anime, and then the particular offender occurs in Freezing, where a character continually says, "Aru-desu."

Yup. I think one of the most common examples you'd hear is, "Tasukete!" ("Help me!/Save me!") being pronounced as "taskete."

Orihime says it like that during the last Ichigo/Ulquiorra fight.

na as in nasai?

Yup.

I read it as a negative form since it was written informally as "na yo," which has been used by Kubo as a negative in the past:

Spoiler

思い上がるなよ人間が!!!!

omoiagaeru na yo ningen ga!!!!

"Don't be conceited, human!!!!"

• FrostyMouse likes this

6OINMKs.png

#119 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

The hint being the "yo" was in Engrish not hiragana.

Spoiler

#120 FrostyMouse

FrostyMouse

Life

• Moderators
  • 3,186 posts
  • LocationStamford Bridge

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

思い上がるなよ人間が!!!!
omoiagaeru na yo ningen ga!!!!
"Don't be conceited, human!!!!"

There's something I've always wondered about. I assume that the Japanese readers are supposed to understand the English chapter titles when they come without accompanying hiragana or something?

ilhd1c.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users