#1 Abu Dun

Abu Dun

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Location6th Layer of the Abyss

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

The story of Rurouni Kenshin takes place during the early Meiji period in Japan. It tells the story of a peaceful wanderer named Himura Kenshin, formerly known as the assassin Hitokiri Battōsai. After participating during the Bakumatsu war, Kenshin wanders the countryside of Japan offering protection and aid to those in need as atonement for the murders he once committed as an assassin. When arriving in Tokyo, he meets a young woman named Kamiya Kaoru, who was in the middle of a fight with a murderer who claims to be the Hitokiri Battōsai from her swordmanship school. Kenshin decides to help her and defeats the fake Battōsai. After discovering that Kenshin is the real Battōsai, she offers him a place stay at her dojo as she notes Kenshin is a gentle person instead. Kenshin accepts and begins to establish lifelong relationships with many people, including ex-enemies, while dealing with his fair share of enemies, new and old.

24135.jpg

Status: Finished at chapter 255, followed by two Oneshots, current remake Rurouni Kenshin: Kinema-ban

Most recent scanlated chapter: 2 (Kinema-ban)

Official member of the Killer Kick Course SquadTM courtesy by Arsonist Joe

currently reading:

Made in Abyss, Jigokuraku, Dorohedoro, One Punch-Man, Vinland Saga, Otoyomegatari

and a lot more

#2 azer_moli

azer_moli

• Moderators
  • 3,298 posts
  • LocationFrance

User's Awards

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Is Kinema-ban still published in Japan? It's been like forever since we had the second chapter, so I was wondering if actually the series is just momentarily dropped by the scanlators or if there won't be anything else...

#3 Riesbife

Riesbife

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

Just going to say:

STILL ONE OF MY FAVORITE SERIES.

#4 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Locationthe super attic

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

One of my favoirte series too. This is the series that got me into manga.

Is Kinema-ban still published in Japan? It's been like forever since we had the second chapter, so I was wondering if actually the series is just momentarily dropped by the scanlators or if there won't be anything else...

There were only a couple chapters of that anyways. They were a summary of the series to get people interested in the movie that was coming out.

Posted Image

Don't look at it directly

#5 Tinky Winky

Tinky Winky

Girly and Distasteful

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationCockaigne

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

That burnt dude was the best, as far as I can remember. 

#6 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:25 AM

Shishio was a boss. Looking back I love that Kenshin was never stronger than his master. That is pretty uncommon in shounens like this.

Posted Image

#7 Tinky Winky

Tinky Winky

Girly and Distasteful

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationCockaigne

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

Who was the master, again?

#8 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

This guy

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Hiko_Seijūrō

yeah I googled him. >_>

Posted Image

#9 Tinky Winky

Tinky Winky

Girly and Distasteful

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationCockaigne

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Yeah, I remember now. He rolled like a boss.

Anyway, I just found out that most of the characters in this manga are based on real life figures.Like Himura was an assassin from early 19th century who was often mistaken for a girl.

#10 Ren-san

Ren-san

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Yeah, I remember now. He rolled like a boss.

Anyway, I just found out that most of the characters in this manga are based on real life figures.Like Himura was an assassin from early 19th century who was often mistaken for a girl.

I am surprised that you just find out that quite a few of the characters within the series were based off real life characters. 

I always thought the scanlators were good at adding the author (mangaka) comment pages, where the mangaka discusses why they created the characters they are presented within the series.

This manga is definitely one of the few manga that I would buy without any sort of hesitation. No matter how many times I keep re-reading this manga, the story never gets old. Especially the short side stories that are added to this manga. 

Personally, I like the short side story where the origin of the Hiten Mitsurugi (Crescent Moon) style is explained.     

Side Note: Megumi and Tomoe were the best female characters within this entire series. 

15871545849_286028ae7d_o.jpg

#11 Tinky Winky

Tinky Winky

Girly and Distasteful

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationCockaigne

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

I am surprised that you just find out that quite a few of the characters within the series were based off real life characters. 

I always thought the scanlators were good at adding the author (mangaka) comment pages, where the mangaka discusses why they created the characters they are presented within the series.

Well, I always skipped past them apparently. Ain't nobody got time fo' that

#12 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

This manga is definitely one of the few manga that I would buy without any sort of hesitation. No matter how many times I keep re-reading this manga, the story never gets old. Especially the short side stories that are added to this manga. 

Personally, I like the short side story where the origin of the Hiten Mitsurugi (Crescent Moon) style is explained.     

Side Note: Megumi and Tomoe were the best female characters within this entire series. 

One of my favorite parts of this series was how many characters were based off of real people. That was always super interesting for me.

It was one of the few manga series at my public librairy so I must have read it at least seven or eight times all the way through.

I don't really remember the origin of Hiten Mitsurugi side story.

Posted Image

#13 m1hawkgsm

m1hawkgsm

Forum Mathematiquè & Reduntarian

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • LocationLand of Hobos and Ken

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

The anime was one of the few that really made my childhood awesome :D I've read part of the manga, but I've yet to finish it D:

D9wwdJt.jpg

#14 Ren-san

Ren-san

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:49 AM

The anime was one of the few that really made my childhood awesome :D I've read part of the manga, but I've yet to finish it D:

What chapter did you leave off at when you stopped reading this manga?

Did you make it to the Enishi Arc?

As for the anime series, I can't say that I enjoyed the series after the Shishio Arc was concluded since that was the last time the anime series followed the manga storyline.

Other than that, I will always say that Trust and Betray is one of the best anime movies in my entire collection. No matter how many times I watch the series I just can't stop liking the movie.  

#15 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

I actually don't think I've seen the anime past the Shisho arc. Generally I've never been in to any anime as much as its manga counterpart but still is a little strange for me.

Posted Image

#16 m1hawkgsm

m1hawkgsm

Forum Mathematiquè & Reduntarian

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • LocationLand of Hobos and Ken

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

I actually don't think I've seen the anime past the Shisho arc. Generally I've never been in to any anime as much as its manga counterpart but still is a little strange for me.

Same, I think the English got cut off at the end of that arc, but I might be wrong.
What chapter did you leave off at when you stopped reading this manga?

Did you make it to the Enishi Arc?

I don't remember, to be honest; I might just have to reread the entire thing.

D9wwdJt.jpg

#17 fatestitcher

fatestitcher

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

Same, I think the English got cut off at the end of that arc, but I might be wrong.

That would explain it because I would have probably watched what i did on toonami back in the day.

I don't remember, to be honest; I might just have to reread the entire thing.

I would recommend that too because it would give you a better feel for the characters and get you more excited for upcoming battles.

Posted Image

#18 ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

Everyone who wants to watch the live action movie http://www.dramacraz...in-watch/276461

• Nightblade888 likes this

qhz8b56l.png

#19 Ren-san

Ren-san

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the link.

I will have to try and watch the movie sometime this week when I get a chance to. 

#20 SSJ Zaraki

SSJ Zaraki

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationKnob Creek

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

Just saw the live action. I was surprised how good it was. Disappointed Seta Sojiro wasn't featured (aka my fave), but it was still a great movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users