42 replies to this topic

#21 Sev

Sev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:54 AM

Ashamedly I had never touched the Evangelion series in any way until last week... I just finished watching the TV series... And I loved everything apart from the last 3 episodes.

Episode 24 wasn't bad, but I just didn't particularly like Kaworu and how suddenly important he was to Shinji (I hear the rebuild movies introduced him much earlier which sounds like a better idea). Then episode 25 and 26... Well, it was obvious that they definitely had budget issues, and while I have nothing against the emotional/psychological deconstruction of the characters (in fact I love that aspect of the series), that was just a bit too much I think lol especially when there was no real world context to understand what was happening (I mean, we kinda know what was probably happening, but I'm sure as hell glad there's End of Evangelion which from the sound of it shows a bit more of what was actually going down? I'll get round to watching that soon anyway).

Also, looking forward to watching the Rebuild movies after I'm done with EoE. Can't believe I never watched this sooner. Ah well, better late than never.  :^_^:

#22 Sev

Sev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

Ok, I watched End of Evangelion. It was awesome and yet all sorts of crazy. Can definitely understand now why it's such a talked about series. What the fuck, Shinji? Masturbating over comatose Asuka? What a way to start the movie lol. I know it was meant to show how messed up he was, but wow. And strangling her twice? I kinda think I understand the second time though, it seemed like his messed up way of checking if she was really alive after being in the primordial soup for who knows how long... Oh and also the third eye vagina (not even kidding, it's quite blatant) on Rei's head lol?  :huh: I'm guessing Anno had some meaning he was going for with that, though...

• YoWid likes this

#23 ryuzaki07

ryuzaki07

N00b

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts
  • LocationOuter Haven

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

Ive just finished NGE for the second time. I now appreciate the TV ending much more, because I feel that I have, finally, gotten a great, full interpretation for it. Its a really beautiful ending, and kind a motivational meta message from Anno to the public. You can really feel his heart and soul in the ending. I really appreciate it.

• YoWid and NGEFan like this

Posted Image

#24 ggctuk

ggctuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

I've recently picked up a lot of this series (though unfortunately most of the original NGE anime is not available easily in the UK, I have obtained all but the last volume of the manga so I have a rough idea of what's gone on), starting with the Rebuild films. The Rebuild films seem to tell a much less twisted yet sometimes darker story than the original NGE (I understand why, before somebody rushes to explain to me of how Hideaki Anno put his experiences with depression into the original anime).

There was one curiosity I picked up on. Kaworu speaks as though he's already met Shinji (such as remarking that Shinji is the same and that "this time" he will bring Shinji happiness). Do you reckon the Rebuild world is connected to the NGE world in some way? Perhaps Kaworu is somehow the exact same.

Edited by ggctuk, 10 February 2015 - 05:10 PM.

#25 Negative Syndicate

Negative Syndicate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,356 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Planet Earth......

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:16 PM

Does anyone know what "June 22, 2015" represents? :perv:

Edited by Negative Syndicate, 21 June 2015 - 06:16 PM.

#26 trafalgarlawisop

trafalgarlawisop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:38 PM

20 years of trolling your fanbase  :psyduck:  :xD:  :hurr:  :rly:  :laugh:  :isee:  :lolxg:

#27 Negative Syndicate

Negative Syndicate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,356 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Planet Earth......

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

20 years of trolling your fanbase  :psyduck:  :xD:  :hurr:  :rly:  :laugh:  :isee:  :lolxg:

Nope

#28 ggctuk

ggctuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

There's a rumour going around about the English subtitle of the film. Some places claim that the subtitle for the English version will be "Evangelion 3.0+1.0: You Must (Not) Run Away".

Actually, that would fit very well, given how it's expected the characters will have to face up to how the events have unfolded.

Anyway, here's what I think, based on the limited info we've had so far:

-Don't buy into the preview. The 3.0 preview at the end of 2.0 was horrendously misleading (not to say those events couldn't have happened but we never saw them).

-It seems Shinji will have to go through the ruined world, observing the effects of Fourth Impact.

-Kaworu will be revived. This is what I think the coffins on the moon are: copies of Kaworu's body, one for each failed attempt at Human Instrumentality (Evangelion 1.0 has Kaworu coming out of a fourth coffin, suggesting three previous attempts have occured). This also ties into what I'm going to suggest next:

-Time travel. The title of the film is Evangelion 3.0+1.0 :|| instead of Evangelion 4.0. The official Japanese title uses a peculiar symbol at the end of its title, the "repeat", which is a musical symbol that tells the musician to repeat a measure. So, judging by this, Shinji will return to the events of the first film. I actually believe that the series starts with time travel: that the events of Evangelion have happened many times over with slight variances, but that this will be the end of the loop. And Shinji has to do something to undo the damage wrought by Near Third Impact, Third Impact (which I believe to be a separate event) and Fourth Impact.

-Final Impact. While I did say 'don't buy into the preview', obviously something will cause Shinji to go back in time. The further destruction of the world, caused by Final Impact, would be a good motivator.

-We may get an explanation for Third Impact and why everybody blames Shinji (even though in all likeliness it genuinely wasn't his fault). My thoughts are that Eva-01 was captured but somehow reactivated when the Twelfth Angel arrived.

Edited by ggctuk, 30 July 2015 - 04:28 AM.

#29 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:34 PM

#30 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:13 PM

Can someone explain what the f*ck happend at the end of the original anime? I get that they were caught in some illusion like the Infinte Tsukuyomi, but why were the last two episodes so weird. Did they lose their funds? The ending also seems to me like they ran out of time and just cut it short. There were some storylines that were just ignored in the end. Was it always intended to be like this?

#31 ggctuk

ggctuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:20 PM

Do you mean the original final episodes, or the real ones seen in End of Evangelion?

If it's the original ones, I think it's both budgetary reasons and it seemed like the network might have wanted the series to end. The End of Evangelion was there to correct the flaws of those episodes and present the true ending to the series, IIRC.

• Gobi Todic likes this

#32 g-dubz

g-dubz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

Has there been any news on the next Eva movie yet?

5.jpg

#33 Sev

Sev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:29 PM

Can someone explain what the f*ck happend at the end of the original anime? I get that they were caught in some illusion like the Infinte Tsukuyomi, but why were the last two episodes so weird. Did they lose their funds? The ending also seems to me like they ran out of time and just cut it short. There were some storylines that were just ignored in the end. Was it always intended to be like this?

Did you watch End of Evangelion? It really clears things up, imo. But yeah, budget issues contributed I think. And it wasn't well received in it's original timeslot, maybe they thought the show was going to be kid-friendly to begin with.  :lolxg:

If it's the original ones, I think it's both budgetary reasons and it seemed like the network might have wanted the series to end. The End of Evangelion was there to correct the flaws of those episodes and present the true ending to the series, IIRC.

Wasn't Anno really depressed while they were producing those final TV episodes, too (or for most of the entire production)? Which contributed to how he went about things? I also heard he began to dislike otaku culture, and wanted to portray something much darker and psychological than anime usually gives you. Who knows the full story on what went on in his mind though.

• Gobi Todic likes this

#34 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:38 AM

Do you mean the original final episodes, or the real ones seen in End of Evangelion?

I meant the original final episodes.

Too bad. I would have liked to know how the original director wanted to end the series if he had the chance.

Did you watch End of Evangelion? It really clears things up, imo. But yeah, budget issues contributed I think. And it wasn't well received in it's original timeslot, maybe they thought the show was going to be kid-friendly to begin with.  :lolxg:

Wasn't Anno really depressed while they were producing those final TV episodes, too (or for most of the entire production)? Which contributed to how he went about things? I also heard he began to dislike otaku culture, and wanted to portray something much darker and psychological than anime usually gives you. Who knows the full story on what went on in his mind though.

I watchd End of Evangelion and Rebuild after that, because it was not a satisfying ending at all. End of Evangelion helped a lot with clearing that up.

If the director was depressed, than that explains a lot. The last episode were Shinji finds his personality in the sea of people could also be viewed as the directors struggle with his depression.

How did you all liked Evangelion 3.33? I thought it looked cool, but the story wasn't that good.

• Sev likes this

#35 Sev

Sev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:35 PM

How did you all liked Evangelion 3.33? I thought it looked cool, but the story wasn't that good.

I actually haven't watched the Rebuild movies yet, even though I own them lol. I'm kinda just waiting for the 4th movie. But I have heard the same thing about 3.33, which is disappointing. 

#36 Gobi Todic

Gobi Todic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:23 AM

I actually haven't watched the Rebuild movies yet, even though I own them lol. I'm kinda just waiting for the 4th movie. But I have heard the same thing about 3.33, which is disappointing. 

How long do you plan on waiting for the 4th movie to come out? It has been years since it should have been released.

#37 NGEFan

NGEFan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:55 AM

I meant the original final episodes.

Too bad. I would have liked to know how the original director wanted to end the series if he had the chance.

I think that WAS the perfect way Anno wanted to end it.  It was left up to interpretation in the style of 2001: A Space Odyssey.  You have the text explain that everyone has been thrust into instrumentality, at the very start of episode 25 everyone is already part of the hive mind amalgamation with no AT Fields and no boundaries and no personal space.  Everyone sees everyone else's most personal and embarrassing thoughts and everything else.  The entirety of the episodes is what is happening in the minds of these characters at this point, an abstract interpretation of what everyone is thinking and nothing more.  Really the confusing part is the very end, what was Shinji's ultimate destiny?  That is the never ending debate that is left up to interpretation, which I really liked.  I don't think everyone should be so obsessed with giving everything a concrete ending, I'd like more 2001: A Space Odysseys to exist.

I think the reason End of Evangelion was made in the first place was as a response to the masses that wanted a concrete ending without ambiguity handed to them on a silver plate so they didn't have to think about it.  I think people make too big of a deal about the budget, which was a huge issue for the staff, but Anno made do with what he had and was successfully able to tell the story he wanted.  Then End of Evangelion can be partially seen as a sort of fuck you to the masses who couldn't accept what they had seen.  They wanted a big climactic battle with best grill so they got it in exactly the way you know.  They got basically everything they asked for in none of the ways they wanted, be careful what you wish for.  That said, End of Evangelion is also the most perfect movie ever to me and can be mostly seen as a physical representation of what was actually happening whereas the original Episodes 25 and 26 can be seen as just what is happening in their minds.

Edited by NGEFan, 20 April 2016 - 11:57 AM.

#38 Sev

Sev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:33 PM

How long do you plan on waiting for the 4th movie to come out? It has been years since it should have been released.

If there was a release date even... I would probably start watching them then lol. I'm in no rush though, I've got so many other things to read and watch I'm fine waiting until the 4th movie eventually comes... if it ever does.

#39 ggctuk

ggctuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:51 AM

I get the feeling the final movie will be out by the end of next year. He only stopped working on it to work on Shin Gojira, didn't he? And that's out in a couple of months.

#40 sergioapodaca

sergioapodaca

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:43 PM

I can't wait for the last movie. This is my favorite anime ever! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users