571 replies to this topic

#561 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:14 PM

to move away from Retro's weird cable to streaming rant...

how is that fair?  its a thread about toonami, not a thread about one piece.  the fact that cables on the way out Is completely relivent to the thread.  its not weird.  whats weirder is your callout.

Toonami gave it plenty of love.

The viewers did not. Maybe it's because of 4Kids like many One Piece fans still want to blame. Maybe it's just because it doesn't have a large appeal to viewers here in the US who don't directly inject anime into themselves the way people on the Internet do. At the end of the day though it got a chance to be on TV 3 separate times for hundreds of episodes. That's a lot more then most anime series can say they've done. Only a few shows have that kind of accomplishment.

yeah you cant force an audience that's clearly not interested in the material to like it just because "its the biggest anime in japan right now."

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#562 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

Toonami gave it plenty of love.

The viewers did not. Maybe it's because of 4Kids like many One Piece fans still want to blame. Maybe it's just because it doesn't have a large appeal to viewers here in the US who don't directly inject anime into themselves the way people on the Internet do. At the end of the day though it got a chance to be on TV 3 separate times for hundreds of episodes. That's a lot more then most anime series can say they've done. Only a few shows have that kind of accomplishment.

Oh undoubtedly it got love from Toonami

They even advertised the Water 7 arc (Something many of the One Piece 'fans' said they were waiting for) and yet even with that those same fans didn't come back to it.

It really not 4Kids fault. As much as some want to blame that was a long time ago and it wasn't the version being aired. The version aired just wasn't getting loved by viewes. A lot of those same 'fans' just never came back.

I still enjoyed myself while it lasted. I will forever miss it on Adult Swim.

how is that fair?  its a thread about toonami, not a thread about one piece.  the fact that cables on the way out Is completely relivent to the thread.  its not weird.  whats weirder is your callout.

I didn't say it wasn't relevant :P. It know it is to some degree. If you want to talk on it be my guess. I just feel that is a much larger argument to the state of tv in general that we all know is true. We all know it won't be long till Netflix and Amazon along with other services completely take over. But it hasn't yet. There are still people out there who do enjoy there current tv package and the commercials that go along with it. 

#563 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:09 AM

Oh undoubtedly it got love from Toonami

They even advertised the Water 7 arc (Something many of the One Piece 'fans' said they were waiting for) and yet even with that those same fans didn't come back to it.

It really not 4Kids fault. As much as some want to blame that was a long time ago and it wasn't the version being aired. The version aired just wasn't getting loved by viewes. A lot of those same 'fans' just never came back.

I still enjoyed myself while it lasted. I will forever miss it on Adult Swim.

I didn't say it wasn't relevant :P. It know it is to some degree. If you want to talk on it be my guess. I just feel that is a much larger argument to the state of tv in general that we all know is true. We all know it won't be long till Netflix and Amazon along with other services completely take over. But it hasn't yet. There are still people out there who do enjoy there current tv package and the commercials that go along with it. 

ha.  I mean, if there was a general television thread, id do it there instead.  but theres not.  and I'm lazy.  and lanipator incepted the idea in my head that toonami is irrelivent in the age of streaming.

hey man I'm just trying to save people money is all.  I mean good god. toonami is so nostalgic to me.  it was around before I could even tie my shoes and extended into my teenage hood with the likes of Saturday night toonami with Naruto, which inevitably led to me finding om in the first place, learning that onepiece shat on Naruto like it wasn't even funny, and inevitably wasting years of my life discussing manga like some kind of hardcore nerd.  BUT.  that being said, as nostalgic as it is, and perhaps I should have said this earlier, its growing more and more apparent to me day by day that the sad truth of the matter is that toonami is pretty much irrelivent in todays day and age.  idk what exactly brings this up now, maybe its just because I haven't actually watched cartoon network in years because YARG I BE A PIRATE and all that shit, but slowly but surely ive grown to be completely numb to the like of toonami, cartoon network, and everything in between, maguzi included.

I mean yeah, its cool that they brought it back and now a new generation of little kids have been exposed to anime like us nineties/2000s kids and that the age of videogames being the mainstream is coming to an end in favor of all different forms of visual media, but at the end of the day, the ral question is, how log will toonami honestly still be around?  5 years?  10?  20?  is cable dying and along with it our entire way of life as youngins?  things just be changing so much now adays I cant even keep things straight.

I mean hell, now youtube is attempting to become our mainstream source of cable.  how long do they honestly expect that to last, ESPECIALLY given that youtube seems to b the new medium through which creators of visual media can put they're content out there without the need of huge corporations hounding, editing, an d censoring they're content?

how long until shows like, say my hero academia catch wise and realize that the more lucritiv opportunity is to put they're shows up on youtube and cut out the middle man because, quite frankly, mainstream media would probably do better uploading straight too youtube?

..... yeah that was a bit ranty now that I read it back.  lol.  sorry.  I just think way to deeply about this stuff.... but imo, its interesting conversation, and expands on what would normally be talked about in this thread.

this is a music video I made for a friend of mine.  give it a listen.  the visuals are pretty dope

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

when you love something..  and I mean. really love it.  you fight for it for as long as you can until you cant stand any longer.  then when its all said and done, walk away with a smile hoping you did right.

#564 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:39 AM

ha. I mean, if there was a general television thread, id do it there instead. but theres not. and I'm lazy. and lanipator incepted the idea in my head that toonami is irrelivent in the age of streaming.

hey man I'm just trying to save people money is all. I mean good god. toonami is so nostalgic to me. it was around before I could even tie my shoes and extended into my teenage hood with the likes of Saturday night toonami with Naruto, which inevitably led to me finding om in the first place, learning that onepiece shat on Naruto like it wasn't even funny, and inevitably wasting years of my life discussing manga like some kind of hardcore nerd. BUT. that being said, as nostalgic as it is, and perhaps I should have said this earlier, its growing more and more apparent to me day by day that the sad truth of the matter is that toonami is pretty much irrelivent in todays day and age. idk what exactly brings this up now, maybe its just because I haven't actually watched cartoon network in years because YARG I BE A PIRATE and all that shit, but slowly but surely ive grown to be completely numb to the like of toonami, cartoon network, and everything in between, maguzi included.

I mean yeah, its cool that they brought it back and now a new generation of little kids have been exposed to anime like us nineties/2000s kids and that the age of videogames being the mainstream is coming to an end in favor of all different forms of visual media, but at the end of the day, the ral question is, how log will toonami honestly still be around? 5 years? 10? 20? is cable dying and along with it our entire way of life as youngins? things just be changing so much now adays I cant even keep things straight.

I mean hell, now youtube is attempting to become our mainstream source of cable. how long do they honestly expect that to last, ESPECIALLY given that youtube seems to b the new medium through which creators of visual media can put they're content out there without the need of huge corporations hounding, editing, an d censoring they're content?

how long until shows like, say my hero academia catch wise and realize that the more lucritiv opportunity is to put they're shows up on youtube and cut out the middle man because, quite frankly, mainstream media would probably do better uploading straight too youtube?

..... yeah that was a bit ranty now that I read it back. lol. sorry. I just think way to deeply about this stuff.... but imo, its interesting conversation, and expands on what would normally be talked about in this thread.

I actually don't think it all that ranty. Fact is that your right. Toonami is to some degree irrelevant. It is even more irrelevant to anime fans cause we have gotten so used to pirating anime at this point. I don't think Toonami will ever die. At least not until all of cable dies and even then Cartoon Network and Adult swim will find other avenues. Have you seen what Adult Swim did with there online video service they made it into some sort of monthly pay wall. At some point Toonami will become that or something similar.

But I don't see Cable TV going away yet. While streaming grows stronger it still not quite there. Cable is still a avenue for people to find new stuff to watch

#565 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:02 AM

well given ho much things have changed since 10 years ago, id honestly only give cable another 10 years at best, being generous, befor networks start individualizing they're networks as opposed to grouping them ll together in one neat, easy to find tight nit package.

its just the way things are going now adays.  stream wars and all that.  regular show hit the nail on the head when the put  out their finl episodes in tht streaming is an unstoppable killer robot only the like of pops and nega pop can destroy.

but at the same time, that's not all that's changing about mainstream content.  i expect that in the next 20 years or so, we might even see the death of the network as more and more content creators catch wise to the fact that they don't have to sell out to create content people love and enjoy and begin to cut out networks and editors that, inevitably, do more harm to creative vision then they do good. 

i mean hell, artist complain all the time about how editors are always getting in the way of they're visions and impeading the deeper themes they try to convey with they're content, and soon, networks and the like just wont hav the long lasting appeal they used to when that wa the only way they're stories and whatnot would be told.  heck.  i love not having an editor on my current work.  is it completely on par with mainstream media?  no.  is everything i create a gold nugget i pulle out of my ass?  no.  but I'm having fun doing it and reimaging dragon ball in a way few have before, and to me, that's where the fun really starts.  because if it wre up the networks, id never be given the opportunity to write something like that.  I'm not from japan, nor do i ever have any intention of going there.  nor do i have any business writing my manga from right to left given I'm not from japan and not writing in kanji.  do i give a fuck?  no.  am i having fun?  yes.  does the possabily exist that one day i might actually mak money off a franchise i hv no business being  part of?  if i ever get my rtwork together, yyes.  its very possible.  and that's the  exiting thing about the way content is going now adays.

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#566 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

i mean hell, artist complain all the time about how editors are always getting in the way of they're visions and impeading the deeper themes they try to convey with they're content, and soon, networks and the like just wont hav the long lasting appeal they used to when that wa the only way they're stories and whatnot would be told.  heck.  i love not having an editor on my current work.  is it completely on par with mainstream media?  no.  is everything i create a gold nugget i pulle out of my ass?  no.  but I'm having fun doing it and reimaging dragon ball in a way few have before, and to me, that's where the fun really starts.  because if it wre up the networks, id never be given the opportunity to write something like that.  I'm not from japan, nor do i ever have any intention of going there.  nor do i have any business writing my manga from right to left given I'm not from japan and not writing in kanji.  do i give a fuck?  no.  am i having fun?  yes.  does the possabily exist that one day i might actually mak money off a franchise i hv no business being  part of?  if i ever get my rtwork together, yyes.  its very possible.  and that's the  exiting thing about the way content is going now adays.

(Firstly capitalize something in that post that was hell to read lol. Sorry I am no grammar nazi, but even I  just can't help but say something) 

The thing is if everything moved to streaming I am not sure network censorship be that big of  thing. 

Remember the reason why Fox, NBC and other networks have to censor themselves is because of A. The advertisers and B. Cause anyone can watch them since a lot of shows air on primetime. 

But if Fox just became a pay for streaming service like Netflix or Hulu your cutting the middle man pretty much. You don't need advertisers as much to make revenue and the people would have a better idea of what there getting cause there the ones who are paying for the product.  

Edited by secretzfan, 14 March 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#567 retroluffy13

retroluffy13

Sardine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

(Firstly capitalize something in that post that was hell to read lol. Sorry I am no grammar nazi, but even I  just can't help but say something) 

The thing is if everything moved to streaming I am not sure network censorship be that big of  thing. 

Remember the reason why Fox, NBC and other networks have to censor themselves is because of A. The advertisers and B. Cause anyone can watch them since a lot of shows air on primetime. 

But if Fox just became a pay for streaming service like Netflix or Hulu your cutting the middle man pretty much. You don't need advertisers as much to make revenue and the people would have a better idea of what there getting cause there the ones who are paying for the product.  

please.  captitalizations for newbs.  I help my uncle jack off the horse.....

wat?

we go horseback riding frequently,

lmao

Anyways, id make the argument that it goes beyond matters of networks and advertisers and extends into the world of copyright, as ive previously alluded to.  Without networks getting in the way, soon, medias going to enter a new era of freedom where people aren't going to be as creatively stifled from the fact that butt hurt creators who cant share because need to make they're money.  I mean hell, its already starting.  just look at the many various continuations of dragonball out there right now.  dragonball multiverse, dragonball absolom, dragonball af.  ect.  Or hell, just look at the rise of the likes of teamfourstar even though generally parodies of such nature are generally frowned upon by mainstream media.  the worlds a changing, and its for the best.

my point derives from the fact that the nature of fiction inherently goes against the idea that you cant take from someone else's work and adapt it into your own work.  when you build a story, for the most part, most people generally take ideas from they're favorite creators and work them into they're own series to some extent, thus why you see so many different iterations of Frankenstein all over the place.  he's a public domain character, and thus people are free to use him in whatever story they can come up with.  With mainstream media out of the way, creators who previously had to rework characters into allusions of the originals or take worlds based on properties they don't own are suddenly going to be much more free to use characters and worlds they love without having to rework them simply for legal purposes, which will inevitably lead to less stifling of creative works, leading to better quality content overall.

Spoiler

also some ear kandy
Spoiler

#568 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

please.  captitalizations for newbs.  I help my uncle jack off the horse.....

wat?

we go horseback riding frequently,

lmao

Anyways, id make the argument that it goes beyond matters of networks and advertisers and extends into the world of copyright, as ive previously alluded to.  Without networks getting in the way, soon, medias going to enter a new era of freedom where people aren't going to be as creatively stifled from the fact that butt hurt creators who cant share because need to make they're money.  I mean hell, its already starting.  just look at the many various continuations of dragonball out there right now.  dragonball multiverse, dragonball absolom, dragonball af.  ect.  Or hell, just look at the rise of the likes of teamfourstar even though generally parodies of such nature are generally frowned upon by mainstream media.  the worlds a changing, and its for the best.

my point derives from the fact that the nature of fiction inherently goes against the idea that you cant take from someone else's work and adapt it into your own work.  when you build a story, for the most part, most people generally take ideas from they're favorite creators and work them into they're own series to some extent, thus why you see so many different iterations of Frankenstein all over the place.  he's a public domain character, and thus people are free to use him in whatever story they can come up with.  With mainstream media out of the way, creators who previously had to rework characters into allusions of the originals or take worlds based on properties they don't own are suddenly going to be much more free to use characters and worlds they love without having to rework them simply for legal purposes, which will inevitably lead to less stifling of creative works, leading to better quality content overall.

Oh wow you just took this into a entirely different direction than I thought you would, but even so.....

I doubt networks will ever completely go away. While yes things like the Dragonball fan stuff is there with team four star and there are a billion parodies around what about people who want to make..I don't know..original content. 

Hell even beyond that there are still some fan projects that have a hard  time getting off the ground and have to rely on kickstarters. I believe cartoon hangover wanted to do a high quality animated series with the same budget as you would need on cartoon network and release it for free on youtube that completely fell apart. Cause guess what you know what network have that most fans have to fight more for...money and lots of it. 

Hey Imagination Upgrade

It great that you are tying to make a web series that is at the quality of a tv show you watch at home, but even you can't release it all at the pace of a real network would instead we have to wait looong hiatus's for you to get the time and money to be able to make that content. 

Hey Tekking101

Great to see all this original content you have, but even you have limits to your editing and the budget your on to make it. 

The internet is a great place for new creators to build fan bases and grow out there community and even make some money while they do it, but even they have limitations. That why networks like Fox, NBC, Cartoon Network while they may move to a more online space will never be irrelevant because those networks still have a ton of money that they can throw at creators to help them get there products out quicker and at a higher quality than any fan project could hope to dream of.  

#569 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:19 AM

VL where are you bruh? 

We had 6 more pages of arguing to do 

#570 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

So then. . .what did everyone think of the new Samurai Jack?

Posted Image

#571 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,318 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

So then. . .what did everyone think of the new Samurai Jack?

Everyone's thoughts are in the Samurai Jack thread
  • retroluffy13 likes this

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#572 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

Yeah but its also on Toonami.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users