619 replies to this topic

#601 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts
  • LocationIn the House of Hades

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:24 PM

I really don't think anyone considers this to be anything remotely similar to the 90's or the early 2000's. Nor do I think the Funimation Channel is any kind of competetion for shows on Toonami. That channel is one that you have to pay extra to get depending upon your provider and doesn't reach any where near as wide of an audience as Toonami would. The only thing Funimation has atm that would hinder shows from airing on Toonami is the streaming service and their partnership with Crunchyroll. Those are the main cause of any issues. That and Toonami would rather play safe with shows that are nothing but basic common battle shounen.

"Why would someone watch AS for a brand new anime show when they can just simply go online and watch new episodes as they come out and/or binge watch episodes that are uploaded on the website already?"

This isn't exclusive to Funimation though. If people wanted they could easily do that with Kissanime or any hundred of streaming sites. Often enough some of those streaming sites also carry dubs of some of the more popular anime. And they could watch for free on those streaming sites instead of having to pay money for a subscription to Funimation, crunchyroll, etc.

But the thing is Toonami is more for casual audience and not the hardcore people who will watch online The people who would watch online are the more hardcore anime fans. Those are also the fans who are to blame for all the long runners on the block.

Even then something like Hulu or Netflix is going to be more accessible to viewers who are not going to be as hardcore about their anime as everyone else; which would be the people paying for the Funimation/Crunchyroll service. So it makes sense that Hulu/Netflix would try to pick up some of the more popular series if Toonami doesn't try getting into talks for those shows earlier.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#602 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:18 AM

I really don't think anyone considers this to be anything remotely similar to the 90's or the early 2000's. Nor do I think the Funimation Channel is any kind of competetion for shows on Toonami. That channel is one that you have to pay extra to get depending upon your provider and doesn't reach any where near as wide of an audience as Toonami would. The only thing Funimation has atm that would hinder shows from airing on Toonami is the streaming service and their partnership with Crunchyroll. Those are the main cause of any issues. That and Toonami would rather play safe with shows that are nothing but basic common battle shounen.

Exactly it does have a pay wall and it supposed to give you more incentive to pay for that show if Funimation channel is the only one that has it legally speaking. 

So naturally Funimation would tell Toonami. "No we don't want people to watch it free on TV when we can make you pay for our streaming service to get a show that you can't get anywhere else

Even then something like Hulu or Netflix is going to be more accessible to viewers who are not going to be as hardcore about their anime as everyone else; which would be the people paying for the Funimation/Crunchyroll service. So it makes sense that Hulu/Netflix would try to pick up some of the more popular series if Toonami doesn't try getting into talks for those shows earlier.

And Crunchyroll is growing ,ore towards the casuals too with them having ads on regular networks

Edited by secretzfan, 18 December 2017 - 01:32 AM.

#603 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

TOONAMI Wish List-

Berserk(For as bloody as it is, it'd still be tamer than most of AS' original stuff)

FLCL Season 2(Yes it is supposed to be thing in 2018!)

To Love Ru - Why not?

Bubble Gum Crisis 2033 (If they're going old school then why not one of the best.)

Can't get a show free from anywhere else? Last time I checked. . .PirateBay and a few other file sharing sites are still around. . .

Posted Image

#604 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:06 AM

TOONAMI Wish List-

Berserk(For as bloody as it is, it'd still be tamer than most of AS' original stuff)

FLCL Season 2(Yes it is supposed to be thing in 2018!)

To Love Ru - Why not?

Bubble Gum Crisis 2033 (If they're going old school then why not one of the best.)

Can't get a show free from anywhere else? Last time I checked. . .PirateBay and a few other file sharing sites are still around. . .

Umm no Berserk is not tame at all. I believe it has already been said that the nudity factor is something hard to get around

#605 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:29 AM

Didn't stop Kill la Kill from being aired!

I didn't say Beserk was tame. Just that when compared to things like Superjail, Mister PIckles, Robot Chicken. . .

Posted Image

#606 Ren-san

Ren-san

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:53 PM

Umm no Berserk is not tame at all. I believe it has already been said that the nudity factor is something hard to get around

So Adult Swim can air The Boondocks but they can't air Berserk 2016 & 2017. If this is the case, then they need to find some better content reviewers.

15871545849_286028ae7d_o.jpg

#607 Ren-san

Ren-san

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

The Toonami crew has stated in the past that they have made attempts to get newer shows but the problem at the end of the day was that they don't have enough money to risk spending on the newer titles. If the newer titles don't generate enough interest to offset the money spent on the titles, then some people are going to have to take the fall for the decision to acquire said titles. Also, lets not overlook the fact that DVD's aren't packaged the same way like they used to be. And by that I am referring to the selling of complete series instead discs containing only 4 or 5 episodes every few months.

This isn't exclusive to Funimation though. If people wanted they could easily do that with Kissanime or any hundred of streaming sites. Often enough some of those streaming sites also carry dubs of some of the more popular anime. And they could watch for free on those streaming sites instead of having to pay money for a subscription to Funimation, crunchyroll, etc.

To be fair Funimation does allow you to watch the episodes on their website for free so long as you don't mind commercials or it being in Japanese. Though I have seen some of the series with dub episodes that were free to watch for a period of time. But your point about alternative websites I do agree with. Though two of the biggest appeals of illegal websites is the lack of geographical restrictions combined with the lack of a subscription fee. Not like Netflix and other legal streaming websites haven't run into the problem of people outside the licensor designated geographical area trying to access content they aren't supposed to have access to as well. At the very least, some people do try to give legal streaming services money to access their content though the result may be still be classified as illegally streaming content.

But the thing is Toonami is more for casual audience and not the hardcore people who will watch online The people who would watch online are the more hardcore anime fans. Those are also the fans who are to blame for all the long runners on the block.

I guess that depends on where you live. In the metropolitan areas I have visited, a large number of people have smartphones, tablets, or some sort of device that lets them access the web and stream videos. And the age gap argument doesn't seem to be as prevalent of an argument like it used to be. This can be contributed to people dying and/or adapting to the times they live in. 

One of the things that I don't like about some of the anime that I have seen nowadays is the quality of the story in comparison to the amount of fanservice. An example would be Prison School, while I liked the idea of the show I didn't find the amount of fanservice all that necessary. The amount of fanservice in the series made the show unappealing (boring) to watch. Another few shows that come to mind are Rosario + Vampire, Queen's blade and Wanna be the Strongest.  

Then again services like Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, and Amazon have bigger wallets when compared to Adult Swim. And they have already established themselves as capable of generating enough viewer traffic on their services to justify taking risks in obtaining certain shows. Sadly, Toonami doesn't generate as much viewer traffic as some of these major players do on a daily basis. Unless the people behind the scenes of Toonami come up with some good ideas to generate more viewer traffic to their website or more money, then I don't see Toonami becoming anything greater than it already is. 

Edited by Ren-san, 19 December 2017 - 07:29 PM.

15871545849_286028ae7d_o.jpg

#608 Blue22

Blue22

Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:18 AM

Doesn't a chick get raped by a horse in Berserk (One of a few rapes that series has)? I'd wager that has a lot to do with why Toonami would likely never air it more than the nudity. From what little I've seen and heard of that series (dropped it a little after Guts' origin story) it might be a little too hardcore, even for Adult Swim.

Edited by Blue22, 20 December 2017 - 02:19 AM.

• secretzfan likes this

#609 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:30 AM

Doesn't a chick get raped by a horse in Berserk (One of a few rapes that series has)? I'd wager that has a lot to do with why Toonami would likely never air it more than the nudity. From what little I've seen and heard of that series (dropped it a little after Guts' origin story) it might be a little too hardcore, even for Adult Swim.

Yups. Maybe they can air the movies, but even those got pretty graphic at times. Especially in part Two. 

It be to big of a risk for Toonami to take

#610 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:38 AM

The horse thing was an attempted scene, but even that’s too much for AS. There’s also Casca, Guts, and Sloan. Violence is one thing, but nudity and rape is a hard line for television that’s not hbo.

#611 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

The Toonami crew has stated in the past that they have made attempts to get newer shows but the problem at the end of the day was that they don't have enough money to risk spending on the newer titles. If the newer titles don't generate enough interest to offset the money spent on the titles, then some people are going to have to take the fall for the decision to acquire said titles. Also, lets not overlook the fact that DVD's aren't packaged the same way like they used to be. And by that I am referring to the selling of complete series instead discs containing only 4 or 5 episodes every few months.

That's kind of BS considering they have gotten several very new titles, as in just off the presses dubs. So you can't say they don't already take risks on newer titles.

I guess that depends on where you live. In the metropolitan areas I have visited, a large number of people have smartphones, tablets, or some sort of device that lets them access the web and stream videos. And the age gap argument doesn't seem to be as prevalent of an argument like it used to be. This can be contributed to people dying and/or adapting to the times they live in.

It doesn't really change anything. Because again the main people who are going to be going onto the internet to watch ANIME are going to be the more hardcore anime fans and not a casual audience. A casual viewer is not going to be actively seeking titles from Funimation, Crunchyroll, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Then again services like Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, and Amazon have bigger wallets when compared to Adult Swim. And they have already established themselves as capable of generating enough viewer traffic on their services to justify taking risks in obtaining certain shows. Sadly, Toonami doesn't generate as much viewer traffic as some of these major players do on a daily basis. Unless the people behind the scenes of Toonami come up with some good ideas to generate more viewer traffic to their website or more money, then I don't see Toonami becoming anything greater than it already is.

You know Netflix is 20 billion in debt, right? Might be one of the reasons they recently upped their prices. It wasn't by very much but still. So they aren't generating as much money as you seem to think. Those streaming platforms likely cost a great deal of money, same with them trying to maintain exclusive rights to the titles.

Considering Toonami recently expanded I'd say Toonami is trying to be greater then it currently is, they just have a sucky show selection that locks up slots for years and very little diversity in the show line up. It could really do without an hour of DB or at least break the hour up to help put some of the newer shows between them, because by now everyone who has watched DBZ already knows what is going to happen in Final Chapter, which was a dumb as hell name for the Kai Buu Saga.

In Hellsing Ultimate wasn't there a scene involving rape and a dead body or something like that?

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#612 Chillman

Chillman

Shinigami

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

Berserk is more graphic than that scene.

#613 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:17 AM

Is it me or is Gundam getting. . .creepy. . .and I don't mean Scary Creepy either. . .I mean 'Stranger Danger Creepy'. First McGillis and Almiria and now Aria talking about wanting to get pregnant. . .not in the future but right now. What is she, twelve, maybe thirteen?

And does someone smack some sense into Orga?

Edited by Graeystone, 19 February 2018 - 11:18 AM.

Posted Image

#614 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

That's kind of BS considering they have gotten several very new titles, as in just off the presses dubs. So you can't say they don't already take risks on newer titles.

It doesn't really change anything. Because again the main people who are going to be going onto the internet to watch ANIME are going to be the more hardcore anime fans and not a casual audience. A casual viewer is not going to be actively seeking titles from Funimation, Crunchyroll, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

You know Netflix is 20 billion in debt, right? Might be one of the reasons they recently upped their prices. It wasn't by very much but still. So they aren't generating as much money as you seem to think. Those streaming platforms likely cost a great deal of money, same with them trying to maintain exclusive rights to the titles.

The thing is VL  though rather Netflix is in debt or not a lot of casual fans are using sites like Netflix and Hulu and have played a role in why anime has become so mainstream. And I am sure sites like Funimation and Crunchyroll are taking note. No obviously this doesn't mean there is no chance of it getting on Toonami. Just look at Black Clover, but even still a company like funimation still are partially giving it to them while being behind on the dub. Keeping up the incentive to subscribe. 

#615 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:26 PM

So the rumored names of the two new seasons of FLCL are Alternative and Progressive. I guess they really liked SAO.

Oh [as]/Toonami seemed to be airing an episode or two subbed for April Fool's day.

Edited by Vl731, 31 March 2018 - 11:26 PM.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#616 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:34 AM

So the rumored names of the two new seasons of FLCL are Alternative and Progressive. I guess they really liked SAO.

Oh [as]/Toonami seemed to be airing an episode or two subbed for April Fool's day.

Don;t think it rumored it literally in the trailer XD

#617 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:38 AM

Don;t think it rumored it literally in the trailer XD

Was lazy and didn't feel like digging up the links and going off glanced readings. So what ever.

Edited by Vl731, 01 April 2018 - 01:39 AM.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#618 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:02 PM

Scavengers. . ,REALLY? That stupid waste of time and effort? Hey Toonami, April Fools Day was last week!

Posted Image

#619 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:03 PM

Scavengers. . ,REALLY? That stupid waste of time and effort? Hey Toonami, April Fools Day was last week!

I guess they figured re=airing everything they aired last week but dubbed instead of subbed would be a great idea. 'Cause Toonami is just fool of it.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

#620 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:21 AM

I guess they figured re=airing everything they aired last week but dubbed instead of subbed would be a great idea. 'Cause Toonami is just fool of it.

They're 'fool' of something alright. . .heck, Scavengers isn't even Japanese. Although Jojo's Part 2 Shabat episode is frickin' hilarious whether its Subbed or Dubbed.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users