• Please log in to reply
636 replies to this topic

#621 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

zI figured Gundam Orphans would have a 'bitter-sweet ending' but yeesh. . .one thing that didn't make sense - the major sides were wanted the same thing - Free Mars, getting rid of the Human Debris stigma on orphans and giving them  equality, and reforming Gallahorn so that anyone could join. . .and YET, the leaders three sides who had all that in common tried to kill one another. . .hubris, pride, and ego I guess. . .

Hero Academia?! As if one show filled with every single annoying shounen chlche was bad enough they got to shove another one down our throats? Its bad enough that a high quality show like Ghost in the Shell 2nd GiG is on last and crap like Black Clover is on early but this is getting ridiculous. I thought TOONAMI was for fans of high quality anime and NOT shounen fangirls!

Posted Image

#622 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts
  • LocationIn the House of Hades

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:51 PM

Black Clover is being moved later in the night, so no big there.

If you ask the people who run Toonami they will just say they are fans of what gets ratings and Shounen gets them ratings, which is why the block is saturated with it. At least My Hero isn't a long slog like most of the others, and has better material to work with compared to the show that no one wanted, Black Clover.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#623 PunkHazard

PunkHazard

Exorcist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationRight over there -->

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:45 AM

Yaaaaayyy!!!

#624 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

Vl731 - The original purpose of Toonami was to air the kind of stuff that would normally be censored in terms of violence and swearing. That's why when One Piece was on, it was never the watered down 4Kids Version. The people currently running Toonami seemed to have forgotten that.

Reason why Hunter x Hunter works is because it isn't just another shounen cliché rehash.

Posted Image

#625 Vl731

Vl731

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts
  • LocationIn the House of Hades

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:30 PM

Vl731 - The original purpose of Toonami was to air the kind of stuff that would normally be censored in terms of violence and swearing. That's why when One Piece was on, it was never the watered down 4Kids Version. The people currently running Toonami seemed to have forgotten that.

Reason why Hunter x Hunter works is because it isn't just another shounen cliché rehash.

toonami's "mission statement" was supposed to be airing quality action cartoons. Nothing about uncensored etc. That's just what people expect from them since they are on Adult Swim. And the reason One Piece wasn't the 4Kids version on this new Toonami is because 4Kids no longer produces One Piece, Funimation does. THAT is the sole reason why it wasn't the "watered down" version. Nothing else. The people currently running Toonami are the same ones who did it when it was on CN and when Toonami came back on AS.

So I really don't know why you wanted to single me out with this statemen, is it because I called majority of the block "How to write shonen 101"?  Because that really is most of the block atm. With the only exceptions being hold overs from AS and Meh original series like Space Dandy, which wouldn't even be on the block had it not been for the main person behind it.

MAL

Not a Toonami Faithfool.

"Ass Pull": Often the first term people use to show how dissatisfied they are with something before it can be explained.

"Bull shit": often the first term used when a person expresses their dissatisfaction with something and they don't like the explaination.

#626 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:43 AM

I just want some sanity back on Toonami. Leave the bat-sh!t craziness to the rest of Adult Swim.

Posted Image

#627 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • LocationBeing a hero for everyone

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

-watches Mommy and Daddy fight and blinks-

If we are being real Toonami doesn't really have a major purpose in today's landscape beyond just getting more eyes on these shows. But with the way TV works the popular stuff is the stuff that gets the ratings which kinda destroys that purpose too. 

It great for nostagia of watching shows. but unless everything was going to be a World Premiere ALA Space Dandy, FLCL, or Samurai Jack there not much of a push for Toonami to exist. 

#628 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:54 PM

Anyone notice a lack of coverage on FLCL Proggressive

#629 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:15 AM

Honestly while I'm sure there's fans for Toonami that are happy with the revival an all. I still think it shouldn't have come back. 

Things have changed. Content it airs and more is accessible in a variety of ways.

A good number of which uncut and without issues of commercial content interrupting your viewing pleasure.

Add to the fact that the late night run, isn't a good choice really. 

Looking back on what really made Toonami great. Was the fact that it showed series that were unique at the time, and some old but great western shows; all around a time when youths were getting out of school or some younger adults from work, who wanted to relax a bit an watch some fun stuff. Having Toonami at such late hours isn't a good way to really catch some good ratings or even get newer viewers among younger crowds. 

Though I'm sure current CN wouldn't dare let something like Toonami back during late afternoon or early evening hours. Considering the content they seem to favor showing during those times and for younger viewers (which is pure garbage IMO).

Regardless though things have changed still. An Toonami's selection isn't wholly unique or hard to come across. At best the only way it'd be fruitful to a degree is if it did air during those earlier hours and was there for people who don't rely on streaming services or internet to find what they like to watch, that or just was there for the younger generations to get them hooked an appealed on more intriguing content that'd expand they're horizons and imaginations - but as said before .... that won't happen with current CN. lol

Also I've seen 3 episodes of FLCL: Progressive. 

An it's rather ..... meh. 

The animation looks nice, and Haruko can still give a good laugh at times. But this new 'other' her, is just so ... plain and uninteresting, as well any attempted comedy or characterization between her an Haruko feels rather flat. The new characters are just as well uninteresting, if not weird. Weird like the main girl, who seems to like the idea of being violated an eaten ...... eww. 

I'm not trying to belittle this based on any sense of nostalgia for the previous series. It's just that it's rather meh. I could watch the first episode of FLCL and I'd be hooked with all the wacky comedy an chaos. Progressive, I'm 3 episodes in an I'm not completely turned off but I'm also not interested. Not to say there isn't some funny moments, but a lot of it is just bland. Maybe it'll get better, I don't know. But it feels like they lost what made FLCL fun overall, and aren't doing well to recapture it.    

Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#630 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:36 AM

Well Samurai Jack did extremely well for them despite the lateness and a,ton talked about it.

But I defiantly can understand the complaints on this season. While I'm not on the...I hate it side. I defiantly feel like something is off about this season

#631 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:24 PM

Honestly while I'm sure there's fans for Toonami that are happy with the revival an all. I still think it shouldn't have come back. 

Things have changed. Content it airs and more is accessible in a variety of ways.

A good number of which uncut and without issues of commercial content interrupting your viewing pleasure.

Add to the fact that the late night run, isn't a good choice really. 

Looking back on what really made Toonami great. Was the fact that it showed series that were unique at the time, and some old but great western shows; all around a time when youths were getting out of school or some younger adults from work, who wanted to relax a bit an watch some fun stuff. Having Toonami at such late hours isn't a good way to really catch some good ratings or even get newer viewers among younger crowds. 

Though I'm sure current CN wouldn't dare let something like Toonami back during late afternoon or early evening hours. Considering the content they seem to favor showing during those times and for younger viewers (which is pure garbage IMO).

Regardless though things have changed still. An Toonami's selection isn't wholly unique or hard to come across. At best the only way it'd be fruitful to a degree is if it did air during those earlier hours and was there for people who don't rely on streaming services or internet to find what they like to watch, that or just was there for the younger generations to get them hooked an appealed on more intriguing content that'd expand they're horizons and imaginations - but as said before .... that won't happen with current CN. lol

Also I've seen 3 episodes of FLCL: Progressive. 

An it's rather ..... meh. 

The animation looks nice, and Haruko can still give a good laugh at times. But this new 'other' her, is just so ... plain and uninteresting, as well any attempted comedy or characterization between her an Haruko feels rather flat. The new characters are just as well uninteresting, if not weird. Weird like the main girl, who seems to like the idea of being violated an eaten ...... eww. 

I'm not trying to belittle this based on any sense of nostalgia for the previous series. It's just that it's rather meh. I could watch the first episode of FLCL and I'd be hooked with all the wacky comedy an chaos. Progressive, I'm 3 episodes in an I'm not completely turned off but I'm also not interested. Not to say there isn't some funny moments, but a lot of it is just bland. Maybe it'll get better, I don't know. But it feels like they lost what made FLCL fun overall, and aren't doing well to recapture it.    

FLCL - 2% coming of age/growing up, 98% chaos. Unfortunately progressive seemed to have skipped the 2% and the 98% doesn't make sense.

Posted Image

#632 secretzfan

secretzfan

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:21 PM

I think it does try to keep the 2 coming of age but ups it a,bit

I feel like the chaos of the show is just...very low. It not really as nearly chaotic as the original

#633 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:17 PM

FLCL - 2% coming of age/growing up, 98% chaos.

Not sure about those percentages. lol 

For me it felt more like a 75% Comical Chaos, 20% Coming of Age, and 5% SciFi. 

Unfortunately progressive seemed to have skipped the 2% and the 98% doesn't make sense.

I don't think they've skipped the 2%. There's some sense of of it still there. But it's more muddied up with sexual fetishes (main girls fetish about brutality, violation, etc), sex in or of itself (glasses guy jumping at any chance, as well the implication that him an Haruko might've done it already), or just relationships overall (glasses guy and freaky girl).

Not to say that the first series didn't have some measure of perversity, sexual implications, or matters of relationships. It's just that how the first series handled it all, was more well done and comical, where as Progressive makes it weird an confusing. 

I feel like the chaos of the show is just...very low. It not really as nearly chaotic as the original

I agree the comical chaos seems rather toned down from the first one. Which shows with how flat a lot of the comedy or attempted comedy is. 

#634 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:04 PM

Not sure about those percentages. lol 

For me it felt more like a 75% Comical Chaos, 20% Coming of Age, and 5% SciFi. 

I don't think they've skipped the 2%. There's some sense of of it still there. But it's more muddied up with sexual fetishes (main girls fetish about brutality, violation, etc), sex in or of itself (glasses guy jumping at any chance, as well the implication that him an Haruko might've done it already), or just relationships overall (glasses guy and freaky girl).

Not to say that the first series didn't have some measure of perversity, sexual implications, or matters of relationships. It's just that how the first series handled it all, was more well done and comical, where as Progressive makes it weird an confusing. 

I agree the comical chaos seems rather toned down from the first one. Which shows with how flat a lot of the comedy or attempted comedy is. 

Even Haruka is a shell of her original self. . .guess that's kinda literal with what just happened. . .

Posted Image

#635 SootKatt

SootKatt

Hime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:37 PM

Oho boy I haven't actively tuned into Toonami since reruns of the original InuYasha anime played at 5AM some years ago. I just looked at the lineup and I mean.. I mostly err on the side of but why outside of money though? They don't seem to be bringing much new to their segment and, as I saw someone say above, it's basically Shounen 101. I recall when I watched it in my younger days they had quite a bit of variety with the content of the anime they aired. I feel like if I once again had Toonami available to me I'd probably still choose Crunchyroll, Netflix, or Amazon Prime to consume my anime given that I myself am really bad at watching things as they air, even if it's only one episode per week. If I'm not super enthusiastic about a series I also tend to enjoy just saving the episodes for a time in the future when I'm in the mood for them, which is impossible for Toonami without something such as On Demand. However, I can see it being a plus for the kids like myself that had working cable but lacked fully functioning internet until the days of high school. Maybe kids like that are a rare species nowadays though. I can also see kids just going to borrow full seasons of anime from a local library instead of impatiently waiting for weekly episodes now. Netflix is also seemingly cheaper than cable now so kids in my position are probably more likely to have access to that than to Toonami :psyduck:

#636 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:48 PM

Finally saw the last episode of FLCL: Progressive. 

Overall .... a waste of time. 

No fun, characters were uninteresting, and nothing literally made sense. 

Doubtful that I'll check into Alternative, if this is the type of content your going to end up with. 

• Graeystone likes this

#637 Graeystone

Graeystone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:56 PM

Finally saw the last episode of FLCL: Progressive. 

Overall .... a waste of time. 

No fun, characters were uninteresting, and nothing literally made sense. 

Doubtful that I'll check into Alternative, if this is the type of content your going to end up with. 

Regrettably. . .its like they're trying to purposely sabotage Toonami so they'll have an excuse to yank it off an air because of bad ratings.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users