2025 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,931 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

This is the thread to discuss any and all things related to the movies based on DC comics. Discuss current or future TV shows in their appropriate TV threads.

EDIT: Rules have changed due to confusion, cross-pollination, and bad start by OP.

Live Action TV Series of DC Comics own Teen Titan's, possibly in the works and coming to TNT???

Saw this, if done right, could be awesome.

Yep. It's fast becoming true. There is a Supergirl series on the way too but it doesn't look like it will air on CW.

TNT seems like such a weird channel to pick something like that up. Isn't CW currently the place to be for supernatural/superhero teen dramas?

I'm really excited for this show. After Young Justice got cancelled I was afraid that I'd have to wait years before seeing anything even remotely close to another good Titans show. And the best news of all is that Nightwing is leading the team. Which means:

1. It'll most likely be based on the Titans' run in the 80s (arguably their best run)
2. It's not the terribad New 52 Titans

Here's hoping we get a more faithful Judas Contract adaption (not that the animated series' version wasn't good. I actually liked some aspects of it better than the comics)

It is since it is co-owned by the WB but DC characters can also appear on other networks hence why Gotham is on Fox and Constantine is on NBC.

TNT aired Leverage so if the tone of the show is going to be anywhere even remotely close to that, that's a good sign in my opinion.

Despite CW shows like Arrow, Flash and even certain parts of Smallville being well received for the most part, I hate their production like the design of the sets and costumes. There are a few gems here and there but most of it looks crap. So I hope being on another networks means that 'Titans' as well as the 'Supergirl' show looks good at the very least and get some top notch writers under their belt. I don't want another repeat of Smallville.

Teen Titans with older members like Nightwing, Raven, and Starfire?!

Hyped!

What worries me about live action super hero shows are whether or not they'll have the budget for certain things. Cyborg and Beast Boy come to mind when I think of this. If we get Cyborg (and I really hope we do. I like him so much better as a Titan than I do as a member of the Justice League) then how high tech is he gonna be able to look? Or will it be like Smallville, where he's only cybernetic on the inside? And with Beast Boy, I'd imagine they'd run into the same problem that they did with the Animorphs TV show. Training animals is expensive. And choreographing fight scenes with them could be a total nightmare. Now Animorphs was in the 90s and on a different station so maybe TNT's budget is so much bigger than 90s Nickelodeon that they can either afford to train the more dangerous animals (and use them for action scenes) or use convincing CGI animals. My biggest fear for this series is that those two wont be in it because their powers would exceed the networks limitations. I might be able to get over Cyborg but Beast Boy's my favorite superhero. If there's gonna be a series based on Perez and Wolfman's Titans (I'm gonna assume that's what it is since Nightwing has been confirmed) then I need him to be there.

SFX has developed enough that they can bring Cyborg to life in better ways than what we got in Smallville.

Beast Boy is a real challenge like you said, they could either:

a) Leave him out entirely and insert another character for comedic value. The Teen Titans and Young Justice cartoons shook up the 'classic' line up too and still managed to succeed. I am guessing we are going to get some mixture of early 00's Titans and Outsiders series and the aforementioned cartoons with a bit of the classic Wolfman/Perez comics inserted into it. Probably with a heaping pile of 'we are doing our own stuff'.

B) Change his powers, like into half animal states but that's not going to work well either.

c) Film all of his scenes or in darkened rooms with low visibility. Good luck with that.

I am almost 80% sure that Beast Boy is going to be left out entirely as a main character in this.

Choice A would kill a lot of my hype for this series. I could live with B and C though. Let him fully morph into animals that are easier to train like cats, dogs, wolves, horses, ect. But if he's fighting he could partially morph. Like giving himself a bear arm or something. Maybe fully morph a more wild animal for scenes where he's not fighting.

I'd even be okay with obvious CGI animals.

I cannot contain my excitement....

Dick is the central character supposedly......

*heavy breathing*

The potential here is strong.

If they are going to use BB, they are definitely going with CGI for him. I don't think they are going to train animals at this point unless it's for a couple of shots.

The animals being fully green makes it a little easier to animate on CGI since that gives them a little leeway on the details but that's like saying having a clamp of wood to chew on while someone saws your bloody leg off in the middle ages was easy. We are still long ways off from seeing the kind of the special effects seen in movies like GotG making it's way into television.

They don't need GotG level CGI. If there's anything I've learned from my obsession with Power Rangers, that lasted from infancy all the way up to the end of middle school, it's that shitty special effects can often get a pass when the story and action are good. And stories don't get much better than Wolfman's generation of Titans.

Hopefully with a better performance than the Teen Titan's GO and TT series.
Always came off as such a Tool or dull character.

Now if it's more akin to YJ style Robin/Nightwing, then that'd be cool :D

I liked him in the Original TT series but he always seemed like a cross between Tim Drake and Jason Todd. The only part of him that reminded me of Dick Grayson was his relationship with Starfire. But now even that belongs to Jason Todd XD

I like Teen Titans cartoon version of Robin as well. Whilst I guess YJ's Nightwing is closer to the comics version, I thought the TT cartoon version was a nice departure from the type of Robin we usually see. It was a blend of the various versions of Robin we've seen: Dick, Jason and Tim Drake.

Yeah but shitty SFX can have a way of taking you out of the story. I love the tv show Defiance but the CGI with some of the monstrous aliens has a way of taking me out of the story because they didn't blend in well with the real world environment. Though most of the time, the show does well by putting the creatures in an environment where it works but there are always those odd moments which lasts a few minutes that ruins the experience for me just a tad.

I couldn't like him, he was always too serious an acts like there's a stick up his ass all the time.
The series was overall good, but I watched it for some other characters mostly.

It worked for me given that Dick grew up with Batman so he picked up a few traits from him. I always viewed the Titans era as Dick's mellowing out period where he gains new friends, new perspectives and breaks away from the Batman influence to he can become his own man. The TT Robin mellows out considerably between the first season and the last.

One of the things I hope the Titans live action series avoids is Bat Dickery. One reason I never fully warmed up to the Bat Family is how the writers make Bats a patriarchal figure for the kids to rebel against or a reason for their angst. I want my hero to be likeable, even if he can be a jerk and has issues it shouldn't be dialed up to 11 to the point where you are left wondering why he isn't a super villain. If that's the case, I'd rather have no Bat Family at all.

this could be a great series but I do see some potential problems. One is of course the roster which could be which could be weighted down with a lot of restriction from D.C. because of their other properties (possibly No mention of Batman, Superman, wonder women Cyborg, Arrow family, Flash Family and maybe Barbra Gordon/ Bat Girl). Then of there's the question of size and character choices which is again effected by the other thing dc has going on.

the second problem I see is the Villains Arrow has already used death stroke and Ravager(a Bad one but still) , brother Blood and planted seeds for the hive. I know that the titans have a bigger rouge gallery then that but those are some of their more major names.

The third thing am worried about is the costumes which can be kind of tricky for characters like startfire. not to mention the special effect which could easily cause a big problems.

1. DC hasn't had an embargo since the Bat Embargo that was in effect when Smallville was airing and they have generally been very generous in allowing JLU, YJ, Smallville, Arrow and Flash shows to use their DC characters. It's not limited to just the networks WB own, NBC is allowed to use Spectre and Dr. Fate on their Constantine show. What might be an issue are the rights associated with the Charleton characters, which is what prevented Ted Kord from appearing in JLU but there is barely any details about that online.

2. That would be a problem if they are developing a shared cinematic universe. If this show is airing on TNT, it might not be a part of the shared universe of Arrow and Flash. Generally, people haven't had a problem with multiple versions of the same character existing at the same time. Most likely this is going to be an entirely different universe.

3. As for the costumes, that depends entirely on who is working on it and their budget. With the current superhero boom, the show hopefully gets a descent sized budget.

The TNT Titans show will be written by the same guy who wrote 'Batman and Robin'

(don't worry he has won an Oscar since...I think...or was that before B&R?).

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2...

On the issue of TT show and any DC show really.

You know, with all these DC based series coming out on TV lately, you'd figure that WB/DC would or could take the chance in going an AoS route with a series or two, in that a series focusing on a group or character within the same universe as the now DCCU they're trying to establish, and do some ground work that could build in an flesh out that universe along with it's characters and factions.

Feels like a wasted opportunity to give people more, rather than cram this much into a movie an then who knows what else in solo film features, or not at all.

They would have to launch more than one movie of their 'Cinematic Universe' before they can start talking about a AoS style tv show. All that is next level stuff.

Still, it looks like DC will make up for in tv shows what they haven't in live action movies so far.

Still better then cramming into one film lol.

Though, that is still if there is to be more than one film.
But regardless, even if it may be a little too early, at least setting some groundwork an build up or hints towards other characters and the upcoming film(s), might do well in building a strong interest for the film and the ones planned to follow, which might not hurt all the more in case the Dawn of Justice film ... doesn't go entirely well with movie goers.

That is exactly what they are doing: they are cramming Batman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg and Aquaman into 'Dawn of Justice' and using that to launch their Justice League movie.

WB has already secured dates for unknown DC movies till 2018 but we don't know their titles. There is a Shazam/Captain Marvel movie in the works but according to the makers, it may not even be connected to the universe that Snyder is building and instead be a whole another continuity altogether which I actually think is a good thing.

Yeah, I know.
Which is why I say it's again better than stuffing everything into a film or films lol, and leaving it at that rather than have something add more into the universe and the characters as well promote it.

That may be a good thing, not sure.
Depends on who's making it, and overall how good they do with it.

Yes, but the reason why the multiple films worked is that these characters come from very distinct backgrounds and mythology that couldn't properly be explored if they had to share screen time with another superhero from another distinct background. Hence why some of these adaptations make the characters feel like they are cut from the same cloth but at the expense of losing another dimension to their world.

Yeah, I am really interested to see how these DC movies work out and how they will compare to Marvel's current output.

Edited by DarkNemesis, 23 September 2014 - 02:34 PM.

• Kazekage, Narubi and King Tai like this

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#2 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts
  • LocationSitting alone in the dark, and contemplating life.

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

Nice, though the shows and films are of separate universes, so not sure talking about them all in one thread as if they were related ... is wise.

Show me the way to go home - I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago - And it’s gone right to my head
Wherever I may roam - On land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

#3 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,931 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

Feel free to self-moderate, sir :)

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#4 Kazekage

Kazekage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

I wasn't going to bother with this but the latent DC fan in me compelled me to:

DCCU Movies

9ucbj7.jpg

Upcoming Adaptations 

156akhk.jpg

Rumor Mill

15pinm8.jpg

.................I really should be watching Defiance right now. 

Edited by Kazekage, 23 September 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#5 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

Feel free to self-moderate, sir :)

If you want it all in one thread, then just do a little edit of the Title and Thread Opening Info.

[Films/Series] DC Cinematic & TV Universes

This is the thread to discuss any and all things related to both the DC Cinematic and Television Universes, compromising of several movies and TV shows.

That should be all that needs done really.

Edited by Yuber, 14 September 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#6 ryuzaki07

ryuzaki07

N00b

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts
  • LocationOuter Haven

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

Wasnt really aware this was a thing till now. 

A Teen Titans series, huh? Wont be the same without a Puffy AmiYumi intro. 

Edited by ryuzaki07, 14 September 2014 - 07:21 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Nmaan

Nmaan

King of the Sports Discussion

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • LocationWhere strength is a poor substitute for courage.

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

So few things 1) Where can I watch constantine 2) when do Flash and Gotham premiere? 3) Is it just me or does Affbat look like a fat man that put on some muscle?

Feed me and I'll be your friend forever, steal my treats and I make you into meats.

I'm big and I'm bad, so try not to make me mad. xD

http://thepunchlinei.../2010-10-18.jpg

QT with yours truly

http://onemangaforum...ime-with-nmaan/

Number 2

http://onemangaforum...ime-with-nmaan/

#8 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

A Teen Titans movie, huh?

There isn't a film, just a TV series that's unrelated to the films, coming to TNT.

So few things 1) Where can I watch constantine 2) when do Flash and Gotham premiere? 3) Is it just me or does Affbat look like a fat man that put on some muscle?

1. NBC on October 24th, this year.

2. October 7th, this year, for Flash.
September 22nd, this year, for Gotham.

3. Not really, but he does seem .... odd.
Could just be the way the photo is taken  :shrug:

Edited by Yuber, 14 September 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#9 kiddblaze

kiddblaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

@Kazekage

1. dc/wb have been open to allowing Show and networks to use their mid-tier and even a few upper mid tier characters they have always been super protective of their trinity. take arrow for example it was originally supposed to be a batman show but DC basically said batman was for too big for T.V and even Gotham isn't allow to reference his transformation into batman.

2. Really no argument from me but I think the shows should be very wary of crossing streams when it comes to characters, having two different version of the same persona could confuse the audience and cause unwanted comparisons.

3. I just don't have a lot faith in TNT because their usual shows are Law/ cop Drama which are okay but never really seemed super expensive.

#10 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

and even Gotham isn't allow to reference his transformation into batman.

But ... haven't they been doing that in the advertisements an all so far?

#11 kiddblaze

kiddblaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:09 PM

But ... haven't they been doing that in the advertisements an all so far?

yes and No they gave him a few line about justice but I doubt its going any farther then that.  

Edited by kiddblaze, 14 September 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#12 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,931 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

Constantine is on NBC, if you're in the US.

Flash and Gotham premieres in October... I think.

Affbat .... :shrug:

Spoiler

#13 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:17 PM

yes and No they gave him a few line about justice but I doubt its going any farther then that.  

I doubt that, and they've been hinting at it with some scenes of him .. becoming somewhat daredevil'ish or trying his limits, the whole "Before the Legend" stuff, and I think I recall something with a bat or bats.

In any case, they've been hinting at it.

Flash and Gotham premieres in October... I think.

Flash yes, but Gotham premieres this month on the 22nd. ;)

• DarkNemesis likes this

#14 Kazekage

Kazekage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

@Kazekage

1. dc/wb have been open to allowing Show and networks to use their mid-tier and even a few upper mid tier characters they have always been super protective of their trinity. take arrow for example it was originally supposed to be a batman show but DC basically said batman was for too big for T.V and even Gotham isn't allow to reference his transformation into batman.

2. Really no argument from me but I think the shows should be very wary of crossing streams when it comes to characters, having two different version of the same persona could confuse the audience and cause unwanted comparisons.

3. I just don't have a lot faith in TNT because their usual shows are Law/ cop Drama which are okay but never really seemed super expensive.

1.  Green Arrow was heavily featured on Smallville in the last few seasons and had the most spin off potential. They used him as a substitute for Batman because there was a Bat-Embargo in effect during the show's run that prevented any appearance from Batman or a young Bruce Wayne on the show because it might confuse viewers. After Smallville ended,  CW needed a new spin off show and Green Arrow was the natural choice. Of course, they  decided to start fresh with 'Arrow' and not tie it into Smallville's extensive 10 year long continuity.  

As for Gotham,  I just think it's something made by a group of people making a bunch of collective horrible decisions stacked on top of one another thus making this utterly disjointed show that we've been hearing about the last few months.  I'm a huge Batman fan but this show looks like it's horrible and I hope it's put out of it's mercy soon.  I haven't heard of any kind of embargo preventing Batman from appearing on tv from any of the grapevines I refer to. 

2. Well, it's an adaptation of superhero characters, it's a given that the makers are bound to give it their own spin.  Given what I have been hearing about Arrow, the Titans show could do a 100% faithful adaptation of Deathstroke and the original Katana and they would have a completely different set of characters on their hands.

3. Well, I guess we'll see won't we? :)   

• garlyle and King Tai like this

#15 garlyle

garlyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationNestled in the comfortable embrace of darkness

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:26 PM

I was so excited for Gotham until I heard the creative minds behind it actually discussing the property...disdain is the only word I can think of that properly expresses the showrunners feelings when it comes to super heroes. Honestly, I want it to be great but lets look at the facts: Catwoman and Riddler are far older than Bruce, which makes next to no sense. The only thing that makes less sense is Catwoman's inclusion in this show.

I just don't understand why DC went through with Gotham INSTEAD of doing a Gotham Central adaptation. No need for kids, teens, or juggling complicated time lines and continuities. Just cops vs criminals and sometimes supervillains. But expecting DC to make intelligent decisions when it comes to their digital entertainment is pure folly. Who the hell turns down Liam Neeson when he says he would LOVE to play Ra's al Ghul? *sigh* Guess all we can do at this point is hope for the best.

• Kazekage, Acidrain, Raiden and 1 other like this

#16 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,931 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:50 PM

Catwoman and Riddler are far older than Bruce, which makes next to no sense.

Riddler, I can see, but I thought the Catwoman and Batman were around the same age.

Spoiler

#17 Acidrain

Acidrain

Chatbox Turtle Hermit

• Chatbox Moderators
  • 827 posts
  • Locationunder a sea of blankets

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:06 PM

I was so excited for Gotham until I heard the creative minds behind it actually discussing the property...disdain is the only word I can think of that properly expresses the showrunners feelings when it comes to super heroes. Honestly, I want it to be great but lets look at the facts: Catwoman and Riddler are far older than Bruce, which makes next to no sense. The only thing that makes less sense is Catwoman's inclusion in this show.

I just don't understand why DC went through with Gotham INSTEAD of doing a Gotham Central adaptation. No need for kids, teens, or juggling complicated time lines and continuities. Just cops vs criminals and sometimes supervillains. But expecting DC to make intelligent decisions when it comes to their digital entertainment is pure folly. Who the hell turns down Liam Neeson when he says he would LOVE to play Ra's al Ghul? *sigh* Guess all we can do at this point is hope for the best.

well, doing Gotham Central would pretty much just make it another police procedural. Sure you'd get the occasional appearance of super villains or even batman, but then people would just go "why didnt they just make it a batman tv show? Why is batman letting the police deal with this super villain?" or something along those lines. At least with Gotham it's kind of a prequel that explores the life of a young jim gordon in a year one sort of way, though I agree that they arent going about it in the right way with all of these "young" versions of villains.

dont get me wrong, I love Gotham Central, but I dont think people would be interested in a live action adaptation of it.

2uh96kn.jpg

Spoiler

#18 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,931 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:20 PM

dont get me wrong, I love Gotham Central, but I dont think people would be interested in a live action adaptation of it.

I would.

• Kazekage and garlyle like this

Spoiler

#19 garlyle

garlyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationNestled in the comfortable embrace of darkness

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:26 AM

I DEFINITELY would. A police procedural in Gotham is not a police procedural at all. Every facet of crime is tangled up with Super Villains and Batman. The mob is constantly hiring or butting heads with criminals. Not to mention how huge and colorful Batman's rogues gallery is. You wouldn't need a Mr. Freeze or a Joker every week. Firefly, Professor Pyg, the Falcone's, Calender Man, Lockdown; there are so many characters you could feature. Of course the big Villains would be a huge draw. Joker, Mr. Freeze, Penguin, Ra's, Riddler, Poison Ivy, Harley, Two Face, Holiday, Catwoman, Clayface, Red Claw, The mad hatter; the list goes on. Any one of these characters could carry an arc, and some of them, an entire season. Personally, I feel Gotham Central has far more story potential than Gotham's rather narrow premise. That's just me though...

#20 Narubi

Narubi

Forever Dreaming

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:29 AM

Regarding GOTHAM.

Didn't notice until I saw that pic of the characters and their names, in Kaze's post, but apparently Pamela Isley aka Poison Ivy aka Red, is now "Ivy Pepper?"

Like what kind of name is that?

Bad enough they're sticking her origins in Gotham despite being from Seattle, but now she has a name like that!!!

Anyways, I too would have liked a Gotham Central myself :D

Edited by Yuber, 15 September 2014 - 01:30 AM.

• garlyle likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users