178 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,301 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

Discussion for the show, Gotham can now happen here. Also please be courteous to other users when it comes to a new show release. Spoilers should be up for at least 24 hours and at most 48 hours after a new episode releases.

So I feel really conflicted about Gotham.

I thought that Gotham got off to a good start with this opening episode.

We got to see the Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, and Poison Ivy in their younger days.

While I didn't instantly start liking the person playing Detective Gordon in this episode, I did find his portrayal of Gordon to be decent by the end of the episode.

The main thing that I liked about this episode was the ending to the show, where we are shown how the underworld has a major influence in the events regarding all classes of society.

Gordon now has to start thinking about how he is plans to restructure the police department while being careful not to anger the crime bosses of the underworld.

I hope they stick more to Gordon's story with the mob and Fish Mooney and all that jazz rather than catering to fanboys with all of these batman references. I mean...as of right now-

Spoiler

I hate batman stories that tie every single villain to the origin story of batman. Its just not realistic. Whats next. Mr. Freeze bought the fenced pearls of bruce wayne's mom for Nora?

Also something about the show just seems really cheap to me, though some of the more graphic bits seemed to be pretty well done. A lot of cheap, energetic cuts and quick jumpy editing though. Bad unintelligible music. Little to no breathing room. Cheesy title card, etc.

I could just be nitpicking. So far a lot of people like it from what I can tell. Certified fresh on rotten tomatoes. Maybe im just too knowledgeable a bat fan lol

either way im willing to stick with it. I like a handful of characters and I like some of the dialogue. Just not a fan of the direction.

In the end I just hope they make this show more about Gordon and less about "Gotham Jr."

I was too at first but now I've decided that I'm not interested. No Batfamily, no care-y. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what makes it stand out from your typical cop drama.

Judging by everyone's reaction, it looks like this show is going to be exactly the kind of mess I had a feeling it was going to be.  

A friend of mine made an interesting observation; this show is mainly going to appeal to people whose only exposure to Batman are the Nolan movies and as he pointed out, a lot of people are praising it for not being campy as if people expect a campy Batman after 4 decades of a dark Batman. 

Spoiler

Gotham was a little  ... odd for me.
Can't really think of the right words ATM to say why, but it just was.

Might check out another episode or two, but so far I'm not really interested in this series.

Did not like Gotham.

Spoiler
I knew this would be a different take on the concept of Batman, but the lack of respect with which this series shows the source material is hard to take.

Spoiler

Spoiler

TBF, Joker, Riddler and Penguin have all looked middle aged under the pen of some artists. Penguin is supposed to be middle aged in the comics.  So their ages in this one doesn't bother me much. Riddler and Joker have had receding hairlines in some comics.

Things to look out for in the next few episodes:  

1) What is so interesting about doing a series about a prepubescent Batman, Poison Ivy and Catwoman? What kind of stories can be told with them at that age and is it interesting?

2) What kind of storylines can be done with a Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock at that age and in time, we know Gotham is going to be shit by the time Bruce puts on the cowl so what is the deal?  

3) Does the show say anything new or interesting about the characters?  

4) How many balant foreshadowing and shout outs are we going to get hit over the head with in each episode?  

5) How long is this show going to last?

If this show is going to be good Gordon cannot clean up gotham. It might seem like he is but he should fail hard cleaning it.

If the writers are smart they would show Gordon destorying the old mobs and opening the way for the likes of penguin.  With Batman and Poison Ivy they need to show there growth. A small bruce wayne winning martial arts tournaments and getting straight A's in school, or something on those lines. Showing poison ivy with a green thumb and have people around her betray her. (because poison ivy like plants more then people)

In the next riveting episode of Gotham: Bruce Wayne must pass his Science exam or he will flunk for the whole semester! Meanwhile, will Pepper Isley finally grow a pair of roses and take the 'nice' Mr. Woodrue's hand? Also, will Gordon finally pick out the right pair of glasses, find out the exciting reason for he decides to wear them (not really because he would back to normal and not wearing glasses at all by the end of the season but we had you going didn't we?)!

Edited by DarkNemesis, 23 September 2014 - 12:51 PM.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#2 Acidrain

Acidrain

Chatbox Turtle Hermit

• Chatbox Moderators
  • 827 posts
  • Locationunder a sea of blankets

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

all of these overly specific threads are giving me a headache lol

• Peleihno, garlyle and Tale like this

2uh96kn.jpg

Spoiler

#3 Kazekage

Kazekage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

In another episode: will Bruce Wayne beat Kyodai Ken in a martial arts tournament? Can he get the role of Zoro in the school's play? And who is the mysterious magician and his daughter who was a friend of Thomas?  Meanwhile, watch as Cobblepot develops an addiction for raw fish and how he is dubbed 'The Penguin'! Watch as Selina tries to pull her big heist and the origin of her cat Isis and how she was named as such!  

• Acidrain and garlyle like this

#4 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

Kaz that would a adam west type tv series

all of these overly specific threads are giving me a headache lol

i like it.

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#5 Acidrain

Acidrain

Chatbox Turtle Hermit

• Chatbox Moderators
  • 827 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

maybe instead of watching Gotham I should just reread Batman: year one and Gotham Central lol

actually it would be great if they did a Gotham Central animated film, but thats for another thread =P

• Kazekage and garlyle like this

2uh96kn.jpg

Spoiler

#6 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

I'm willing to give this show a chance. I didn't like how they tied in Ivy, Riddler and Catwoman in the first episode. Catwoman's presence in the beginning is likely to be relevant later on, but, being entirely pointless in this episode, I felt that it held this episode back. But keeping my fingers crossed.

• Acidrain likes this

#7 Kurapika

Kurapika

The Chain Bastard

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationHiatus Town

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

I just watched it and enjoyed it. The little nods to the characters did seem just a bit much though...

Spoiler

Edited by Kurapika, 23 September 2014 - 01:52 PM.

• Kazekage, waleuska, Acidrain and 1 other like this

#8 Tokoya

Tokoya

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationWith my Khaleesi <3333

User's Awards

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

The premier didn't wow me but I liked what I saw, so I'm going to stick with it....Seems like it has potential

I did love Gordon and Penguin though...And Fish Mooney is that type of character that I would enjoy seeing get killed lol

Ivy seemed out of place and Selina was just there...But we all know that its going to set up some relationship with Bruce later on since she was pretty much stalking him throughout the entire episode....Nygma was eh....Falcone was alright too

iWo0nCc.gif

Nothing will stand in our way.....I will finish what you started....I will fulfill our destiny!

#Kylo Ren #ForceAwakens

#9 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,301 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

I'll have to watch it see if Jada Pinkett overacts her role again.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#10 Acidrain

Acidrain

Chatbox Turtle Hermit

• Chatbox Moderators
  • 827 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

ironically one of the few things I liked about Gotham was Fish Mooney haha but everybody else seems to be really mixed about her. Oh well.

2uh96kn.jpg

Spoiler

#11 Tale

Tale

Kakistocrat

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

I liked Fish Mooney. She's easy to hate (though I don't think her villainy is particularly impressive after one episode) and she's also expendable, in the sense that she's not an important character in the Batman mythos. I also think I could be intrigued by Cobblepot's role in the gang wars, if they genuinely write him as a clever character who can play both sides. 

And as much as I disliked all the ham-fisted cameos (or, as I am loath to call them, "introductions"), I liked Nigma's little interaction with Gordon. That superiority complex needs to be tested. 

Edited by Tale, 23 September 2014 - 06:02 PM.

• Tokoya and Acidrain like this

#12 kiddblaze

kiddblaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

I fine it funny how most comic readers are on edge about it. While normal fan just love the show.

Edited by kiddblaze, 23 September 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#13 garlyle

garlyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationNestled in the comfortable embrace of darkness

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:54 PM

Damn right comic fans are on edge. Those of us who've read 'Batman: year one' or 'Gotham Central' have seen this story, except done better, and with respect to the source material. You've hit on the heart of this show. It isn't for fans. hardcore fans will rage and pick it apart. Nolan fans, having no context on the ACTUAL Batman storylines, will miss half of the pertinent shout outs. Non-fans will miss pretty much everything, but will come into this fresh, and see it for what it is, and not, how I view it, what it is most certainly not. I'm just not sure how long this show will last without the fans backing it because we all know how fickle casual viewers can be.

• Goddess Nike likes this

#14 Acidrain

Acidrain

Chatbox Turtle Hermit

• Chatbox Moderators
  • 827 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

I dont know. I'm a Nolan fan and I still dont care for this show very much. I dont really think Gotham knows what it wants to be.

It's like...the Nolan movies mixed with over dramatic noir mobsters, 70s urban grime exploitation, cheesy Tim Burton villains/plot tie ins, and soap opera dialogue/characters. Its really weird.

Nolan may have taken his own approach with the source material and made it his own, but at least it was consistent. I dont think it was "disrespecting the source material" so much as it was acknowledging the source material by putting a twist on it. What really gets my goat is when an adaptation tries really hard to acknowledge the source material and stick with it for the most part, but then ultimately fails to understand what made the source great to begin with, aka the Amazing Spiderman films and, as it stands right now, Gotham.

• Tokoya, waleuska, garlyle and 2 others like this

2uh96kn.jpg

Spoiler

#15 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,301 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

I dont know. I'm a Nolan fan

I think Nolan did an excellent job. I was put off by Gotham just by the looks of the characters. Especially Gordon.
  • Acidrain likes this

Spoiler

#16 Acidrain

Acidrain

Chatbox Turtle Hermit

• Chatbox Moderators
  • 827 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:38 PM

im just waiting for the inevitable season premiere or possibly a season finale where Gordon walks into the police station and miraculously has a mustache lol

and then bullock goes "haha wow whats that caterpillar on your lip? It looks ridiculous!" with gordon going "im trying out a new look"

And then bullock goes "whats next? You'll start wearing glasses?" or some terrible dialogue along those lines lolol

2uh96kn.jpg

Spoiler

#17 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,301 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

im just waiting for the inevitable season premiere or possibly a season finale where Gordon walks into the police station and miraculously ...

gets shot.

If it's really going for a gritty feel.

Spoiler

#18 Kazekage

Kazekage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

"Hey, Gordon! How about growing a mustache?"  

"Not in this lifetime, buddy."  

I am not a huge fan of Nolan's Batman work. It, like all the other live action Batman movies, are basically multi million dollar Elseworld's movies; 'what if Batman was uber realistic?'. So you get face paint Joker, non immortal Ras, Pain Killer Bane and hammy metaphors in place of actual concepts (a prison metaphor for the Lazarus Pits? Really?). Nolan verse Mr. Freeze would just be a bald albino who wears a leather jacket and t-shirt, wears red tinted circular sunglasses, his wife dead in some accident and so he is pissed about it (like every other Nolan protagonist) and at one point, he will hit someone in the head with a bag of ice and online fans would go; 'see! Nolan respects the source material! That was a clear shout out to Mr. Freeze's gun in the comics along with other oblique references to the comics even though it has anything to do with Mr. Freeze at all!'.

Yet, Nolan was consistent and had a coherent vision.  Gotham just feels like a weird mish mash ala the late 90's Birds of Prey tv series and so far seems to have nothing new to say about the character. It looks like it will be a while before we get a good live action tv show starring the Batman characters.  

Edited by Kazekage, 23 September 2014 - 09:26 PM.

• garlyle likes this

#19 kiddblaze

kiddblaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

Damn right comic fans are on edge. Those of us who've read 'Batman: year one' or 'Gotham Central' have seen this story, except done better, and with respect to the source material. You've hit on the heart of this show. It isn't for fans. hardcore fans will rage and pick it apart. Nolan fans, having no context on the ACTUAL Batman storylines, will miss half of the pertinent shout outs. Non-fans will miss pretty much everything, but will come into this fresh, and see it for what it is, and not, how I view it, what it is most certainly not. I'm just not sure how long this show will last without the fans backing it because we all know how fickle casual viewers can be.

While I have never actually read Gotham Central I don't know if it could even be considered source material for this show. I mean this is a reimagining which is all about breaking the known cannon and making them different right? personally I think hardcore comic fan(i do read comic but only like major stories and a few one off issues) are just overly cynical because it not the batman/Gotham they know. It been one episode and everyone all up in arms.

Edited by kiddblaze, 24 September 2014 - 12:24 AM.

#20 Kazekage

Kazekage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:01 PM

A re imagining still must be able to stand on it's own merit and tell us something new about the characters and the world from a different angle. As of right now, I am not getting that sense from Gotham.  

I am not particularly angry about this show, I find it to be adequate Snark Bait especially since I used to watch Smallville a lot when I was younger. I also want to analyze this show, find out what works and what doesn't rather than see what lines up with the mythology and what doesn't and whether it works or not. That's all there is from my side.  

Edited by Kazekage, 23 September 2014 - 11:02 PM.

• Acidrain and Tale like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users