310 replies to this topic

#301 Hoff

Hoff

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:41 PM

But what you said implied that Rio was somehow especially intolerant of these people. An outlier. The people of Rio are no more intolerant of these people than any other major city population. 

Again, that's not what was implied. The majority of the world cities are not know for that. But is Rio known for its hostility towards these people? Is Rio especially intolerant? From what standards can you make that claim, and on what grounds? 

I want to know what gave you the idea that Rio was especially intolerant of these people.

Stories from people I know that have been there and saw some shit when they were downtown around night and in any of the slums.

Edited by Hoff, 07 August 2016 - 05:41 PM.

w7hQcQE.jpg

<3 Opeye

#302 ryuzaki07

ryuzaki07

N00b

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts
  • LocationOuter Haven

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:54 PM

So AFAIK a lot of cities outside of the US or even Western Europe tend to have less toleration for those categories of people.

So basically you have no reason to believe that Rio is an especially intolerant place other than some bullshit generalization that apparentely every country outside of the US and western Europe is less tolerant of these kind of people. 

If thats as far as you know, then you know absolutely nothing. Youre talking out of your ass to demonize a city/culture you know nothing about because you saw a few headlines. A completely xenophobic sentiment that was so carelessly and naturally uttered, as if was common sense.

Well, allow me to educate you: Rio de Janeiro is an especially diverse city (probably much more so than most American and Western European cities). But as far as LBGT people go, Rio actually has the highest percentile of gay people of Brazil, thus making it the gayest city of Brazil. Its even been cited as one of the most gay friendly cities in the world (source in in portuguese). So no, youre wrong in saying that Rio is especially intolerant, because the truth is actually the opposite: Rio is known for its LBGT friendly aspect. Much more than the majority of your US/European cities.

Furthermore, just because your uneducated (and xenophobic) opinion was so misguided as to actually make me betray myself and for once defend Brazillian people and their culture, which are things that I would under normal circumstances have nothing but the ultimate disdain for (though the more I find out about other people and cultures the more I tend to believe that this disdain is actually more acturatelly described as full blown misanthropy), I will actually further prove that Brazil cities are not to be grouped with your misguided generalization and actually bring up São Paulo's gay Pride parade, which holds (or held, IDK if it was broken) the record for being the biggest pride parade in the world

Also, to highlight how untrue it is that the US is somehow a bastion of gay acceptance, you guys actually took longer to accept gay marriage than Brazil. Four years to be exact. 

Posted Image

#303 waleuska

waleuska

Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • Locationeverywhere but nowhere

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

If being 7 feet tall was a trait only women could have, then yes I'd agree with you.

The NBA is a private organization. What they set the guidelines to be is there choice. Beyond that being taller isn't always better for basketball. There are a number of shorter players in basketball that do extremely well at what they're supposed to do. Lebron and Shaq can't win games alone they are simply some of the best at playing their positions; positions which keep them in the spotlight. 

If you can show me some biological advantage, other than height, I'd agree with you in principle.

No it would be like Shaq playing on a women's basketball team. That's the difference. People can bitch and moan about it all they want but men are more inclined physically thanks to testosterone. Men put it less effort to get the same results as women. That's why this is an issue. This woman has to put in less effort to get the same results as the rest of the women she's competing with. That is strictly an unfair advantage no matter how natural it is for her. 

If a male had the same levels as testosterone a women. Would you guys allowed him to compete in the women's events?

p5Y5w8P.jpg

#304 Hoff

Hoff

Crack Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:18 PM

If a male had the same levels as testosterone a women. Would you guys allowed him to compete in the women's events?

That would essentially be what a pre-op but hormone treated transperson(m->f) would be so; yes.

w7hQcQE.jpg

<3 Opeye

#305 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,868 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:44 PM

Actually the stuff I have read about brazil gave me that impression. And i threw rio in that. In that, I erred. If i have read inaccurate articles, i am more than happy to read accurate ones. However, nowhere in my post was i xenophobic towards gays or brazilians. Your overreaction put that idea there. Or as you put it "you were talking out of your ass". Not every response to a disagreement has to be a contest of profanity.

No. He is not a woman.

If a 100% woman, born a woman, has had nothing but woman parts all her life, somehow naturally has testerone levels as high as a man, then she should compete with the women. And imo not have to do any hormone therapy. In other cases, hormone therapy should be done.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#306 ryuzaki07

ryuzaki07

N00b

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts
  • LocationOuter Haven

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:19 PM

In that, I erred

You dont say.

However, nowhere in my post was i xenophobic towards gays or brazilians.

Well, yeah. Theres no such thing as being xenophobic towards gays, thats being homophobic. 

But I guess its gonna be difficult to convince you just how disgustingly xenophobic you were when you assumed that a city outside the US or W Europe would be populated by bigots. That was your reasoning, even though you didnt bother to actually fact check any of that shit you said. It was so natural to you that people outside these countries would be some sort of backwards bigots, I can't seem to attribute your thinking to that of anyone but a xenophobe, albeit a left-wing leaning one. If you dont see how assuming a foreign people are composed of gay hating bigots then I can only assume that you're not really one for self questioning, considering how you didnt even bother to check fucking wikipedia before casually associating the people of Rio to bigots as if it were no big fucking deal. 

Not every response to a disagreement has to be a contest of profanity.

Ah, great. You could handle calling millions of people bigots but you cant handle a few bad words. Well Im sorry if I hurt your fucking feelings, but maybe next time you'll remeber to actually check if the shit you're typing is actually true. 

Posted Image

#307 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,868 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:39 PM

You are overreacting again and having a tantrum about things i didnt say. Hope you feel better.

Kubo's announcement will be his new work will be called Tide; not as strong as bleach but does its trolling in a more colorful fashion! - arcane_chaos

Spoiler

#308 ryuzaki07

ryuzaki07

N00b

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts
  • LocationOuter Haven

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:57 PM

You are overreacting again and having a tantrum about things i didnt say.

Ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here. 

Could you explain exactly what it was that you meant then?

Posted Image

#309 DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis

Keeper of the Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,868 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:33 PM

Brazil has some of the most progressive laws in South America or even the Western Hemisphere. But it has had an increase in violence against LGBT.

In 2012, LGBT members murdered at a rate of almost 1 a day. Mostly occurring in the areas of: Bahia, Minas Gerais, and the cities of Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.

In 2013, 44% of the world's LGBT violence occurs in Brazil.

As of March 2015, the right gaining more political power also sees an increase in violence against LGBT. Though one is not necessarily the cause of the other. Brazil currently may be facing a ideological shift due to this.

As of July 2016, though more Brazilians are becoming tolerant, politicians, evangelicals, and police are still in one way or another still anti-LGBT.

August 2016, Brazilian Congress has defeats bill to give more education about LGBT in schools and also to add sexual orientation to the hate crimes law.

I said before though Brazil has some of the most progressive laws for LGBTs, there still might be a rise and even a problem with anti-LGBT rhetoric and violence in Brazil. Even in places like Rio. I'll now go back to be being unresearched and unread.
  • Petite Fleur and Hoff like this

Spoiler

#310 ryuzaki07

ryuzaki07

N00b

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts
  • LocationOuter Haven

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:14 PM

In 2012, LGBT members murdered at a rate of almost 1 a day. Mostly occurring in the areas of: Bahia, Minas Gerais, and the cities of Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.

In 2013, 44% of the world's LGBT violence occurs in Brazil.

Its always funny to see US media report on Brazils shit. These statistics are not only unverifiable, but they prove nothing. If anything, they are in line with the countrys overall violence.

As of March 2015, the right gaining more political power also sees an increase in violence against LGBT. Though one is not necessarily the cause of the other. Brazil currently may be facing a ideological shift due to this.

As of July 2016, though more Brazilians are becoming tolerant, politicians, evangelicals, and police are still in one way or another still anti-LGBT.

August 2016, Brazilian Congress has defeats bill to give more education about LGBT in schools and also to add sexual orientation to the hate crimes law.

None of this is anything out of the ordinary and definetely not a valid argument for believing that Brazil is any way less tolerant of gays than the US. 

Even in places like Rio.

So that means that you can single Rio out for its homophobia? Because you cant. And even then this was your justification for doing so:

So AFAIK a lot of cities outside of the US or even Western Europe tend to have less toleration for those categories of people.

By then, you hadnt mentioned any sort of article when you had ample possibility to do so. You choose to group Rio with every other place outside of the US and W Europe and said that they were less tolerant. You came to the conclusion that Rio was a bad place for LBGT BECAUSE of that generalization, which of course excused you and your country from it. Thats discrimination agaisnt foreigners, and that constitues a xenophobic sentiment. 

I'll now go back to be being unresearched and unread.

At least you acknoledged it. 

• ixSheng likes this

Posted Image

#311 Petite Fleur

Petite Fleur

~ Spider Lady - Kiri's Wife ~ Professional Cuddle Bug

• Blessed by Uglypuff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,902 posts

User's Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:03 PM

Its always funny to see US media report on Brazils shit. These statistics are not only unverifiable, but they prove nothing. If anything, they are in line with the countrys overall violence.

None of this is anything out of the ordinary and definetely not a valid argument for believing that Brazil is any way less tolerant of gays than the US. 

So that means that you can single Rio out for its homophobia? Because you cant. And even then this was your justification for doing so:

By then, you hadnt mentioned any sort of article when you had ample possibility to do so. You choose to group Rio with every other place outside of the US and W Europe and said that they were less tolerant. You came to the conclusion that Rio was a bad place for LBGT BECAUSE of that generalization, which of course excused you and your country from it. Thats discrimination agaisnt foreigners, and that constitues a xenophobic sentiment. 

At least you acknoledged it. 

You're free to link some of the non-profit organizations for LGBT people, any organizations that help homeless or at risk LGBT youth, support groups and/or centers in Rio for LGBT people, their pride date, as well as events held on a local level that bring the community together, and any LGBT clubs/bars in the city - like every other major city that is pro-LGBT in the world has.

2mGKRJi.png
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Spoiler Quotes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users